ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2019, 02:09 PM   #201
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well, at least it is finally becoming obvious as to what Trump wants in regards to his shutdown of the government.

In this case, Trump would rather have the government shutdown than have to deal with the news coverage of his various scandals.
Yes, I can see Trump thinking the Shutdown might provide a distraction from the Mueller investigation.

The problem is, the shut down may negatively affect the economy as a whole. Since that seems to be one of the things Trump supporters can talk about without being embarrassed ("Hey, he's putin's public, but look at the jobs". Not that I believe it myself since the economy was already growing under Obama.) If the shutdown sinks the economy, that may be the thing that sinks Trump's approval ratings.

Plus, eventually the shutdown may start to affect Republican core voters. (Staff handling social security have been cut back, and military pay may eventually be affected, and those involve 2 demographics that heavily favor republicans.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #202
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, I can see Trump thinking the Shutdown might provide a distraction from the Mueller investigation.
//Eddy Murphy Thinking Meme//

"Can't have a government investigation if you shutdown the government."

//Eddy Murphy Thinking Meme//
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:13 PM   #203
Arcade22
Philosopher

The drafters of the US constitution sure were a bunch of incompetents for not making sure that the previous budget of public institutions would automatically continue to be applied on an interim basis in order to prevent situations just such as this from occurring. Disgraceful.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:08 PM   #204
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Trump's "negotiating" tactics are so hilariously bad. The shutdown lasting years or declaring a national emergency to build the wall aren't believable threats. I mean, he could try them because he is an idiot, but they are losing hands for him.
Old 4th January 2019, 04:34 PM   #205
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Trump's "negotiating" tactics are so hilariously bad. The shutdown lasting years or declaring a national emergency to build the wall aren't believable threats. I mean, he could try them because he is an idiot, but they are losing hands for him.
True. All Congress has to do is un-ass a supermajority of legislators who care more about compromise and resuming the normal business of government, and there's really nothing the president could do about it.

Maybe Trump means that it'll take years for congress to get there, and it'll be a national emergency by the time they do. That's kind of believable, actually.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:47 PM   #206
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You should probably know that I'm the person who vehemently believes that arguments from analogy always fail. I don't think this analogy - or any other - is appropriate, and that if you want to argue a thing, you should argue the thing its own terms. If you think this analogy is appropriate, then I think you're wrong and confused.
I don't. Despite what you just said, you are the one who brought the analogy up...If you didn't think it was appropriate, then why did you bring it up?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:03 PM   #207
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

True. All Congress has to do is un-ass a supermajority of legislators who care more about compromise and resuming the normal business of government, and there's really nothing the president could do about it.
In other words, Mitch needs to grow a pair, or at least get his back from Trump so he can stand up to him and show Trump what it means to have different Branches of Government with their own set of powers. Up until now for some reason the GOP have just meekly handed over their power entirely to Trump, something that would have had the Founders rolling in their graves considering the lengths they went to, to make sure that no one person would hold all the power chips in the US Government.

Quote:
Maybe Trump means that it'll take years for congress to get there, and it'll be a national emergency by the time they do. That's kind of believable, actually.
Except the figures say the exact opposite. Illegal Immigration has been steadily falling since it peaked in 2006.

Ironically, it is Trump's own policies that could see it rising. By making it harder for US companies to set up shop in countries such as Mexico, he is reducing the jobs and ability to live a reasonably good waged life in the very countries he want to prevent people illegally migrating from, meaning that people will be looking at going to the US for the economic security that Trump's policies are removing from their home countries.

The best way to stop Illegal migration is to help build up the economies and jobs in the countries those migrants are coming from. If they can get a better and more secure future for themselves and their kids in their own countries than they would have in the US, then they will have less incentive to leave.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:36 PM   #208
crescent
Master Poster

I called my credit union today to look into deferring car loan repayments and to see if they are offering any services for furloughed federal employees. The man I spoke to asked how much longer I thought I might be furloughed.

I told him "The President said it may last a year or more." The guy on the phone literally blubbered "Ah, well, uh, jeez, what? I mean, um, that uh....well. Um, okay, and..." He went on like that for a surprising length of time.

Then said that his boss makes all of the decisions and is out of the office until Monday.

Guess I'll wait.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:44 PM   #209
Tero
Graduate Poster

Trump hates government. Just a bunch of regulations. Shuts it down, win win for Trump! How did we get to this? Thank you red states! (I live in one).
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:09 PM   #210
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Maybe we should change the title of this thread to 2018/2019/2020 US Federal Government Shutdown?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:28 PM   #211
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
In other words, Mitch needs to grow a pair, or at least get his back from Trump so he can stand up to him and show Trump what it means to have different Branches of Government with their own set of powers. Up until now for some reason the GOP have just meekly handed over their power entirely to Trump, something that would have had the Founders rolling in their graves considering the lengths they went to, to make sure that no one person would hold all the power chips in the US Government.

Except the figures say the exact opposite. Illegal Immigration has been steadily falling since it peaked in 2006.

Ironically, it is Trump's own policies that could see it rising. By making it harder for US companies to set up shop in countries such as Mexico, he is reducing the jobs and ability to live a reasonably good waged life in the very countries he want to prevent people illegally migrating from, meaning that people will be looking at going to the US for the economic security that Trump's policies are removing from their home countries.

The best way to stop Illegal migration is to help build up the economies and jobs in the countries those migrants are coming from. If they can get a better and more secure future for themselves and their kids in their own countries than they would have in the US, then they will have less incentive to leave.
I agree with this entirely. There is no reason why the entire Western Hemisphere can't be prosperous.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:35 PM   #212
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Where did I state the position that an idiot *should* be placated?

Maybe you should start by quoting something I've actually said, and asking me to defend that.
You know damn well I'm referring to this quote:

That is an excellent question that everybody involved should probably have asked themselves before they got into this game of chicken. Congress could have safeguarded the financial stability (and indeed the lives) of millions of Americans simply by approving a bill they knew the President would sign. Instead, they chose to play a game of brinkmanship with an a naive and self-centered idiot. What could go wrong, indeed?
...But evidently you're more comfortable disingenuously beating around the bush and feigning ignorance of the topic than actually, you know, supporting your position.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:49 PM   #213
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I agree with this entirely. There is no reason why the entire Western Hemisphere can't be prosperous.

Other countries being prosperous would mean that there's something being taken away from the US, which is unacceptable. Haven't you been paying attention? Global economics is a zero-sum game. If someone else wins, then we lose.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:58 PM   #214
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Other countries being prosperous would mean that there's something being taken away from the US, which is unacceptable. Haven't you been paying attention? Global economics is a zero-sum game. If someone else wins, then we lose.

It's the 'Rising Tide Sinks Our Boats' school of economics.

I guess Trump learned that at Wharton.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:04 PM   #215
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That is how Trump sees it. But it is ignorant of the the facts. Prosperity begets prosperity. Imagine if the Allied Forces didn't rebuild Europe? The greatest growth of was Post WWII. And that was because of looking forward and investing in that prosperity.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:12 PM   #216
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I don't. Despite what you just said, you are the one who brought the analogy up...If you didn't think it was appropriate, then why did you bring it up?
Oh, this is just beautiful.

Come on, theprestige. Tell us more about the mob boss holding the gun to your fathers head and whatnot, and how you hate analogies.

Hilarious.

Last edited by Lambchops; 4th January 2019 at 07:16 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:30 PM   #217
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This. We will never build fortifications stronger than the push forces causing people to leave where they are and the pull factors that draw them here.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:31 PM   #218
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What the **** kind of economics texts books are you reading?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:34 PM   #219
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Sarcastic ones?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:36 PM   #220
Armitage72
Master Poster

I was emulating Trump's attitude. That's what I meant by "paying attention". Other countries benefiting from trade agreements being described as "taking advantage of America", for example.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:57 PM   #221
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure Armitage meant that as sarcasm.
Old 4th January 2019, 10:11 PM   #222
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This. We will never build fortifications stronger than the push forces causing people to leave where they are and the pull factors that draw them here.
The United States has more than 12,000 miles of coastline and 5,000 miles of border and 328 ports of entry with 350 million border crossings on our Southern border alone.

Building a wall is like a Dutch boy putting his finger in a dike. Much better to just relieve the pressure on the other side.
Old 4th January 2019, 10:18 PM   #223
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Hundreds of Transportation Security Administration officers, who are required to work without paychecks through the partial government shutdown, have called out from work this week from at least four major airports, according to two senior agency officials and three TSA employee union officials.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/04/p...ing/index.html
Old 4th January 2019, 10:35 PM   #224
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
The drafters of the US constitution sure were a bunch of incompetents for not making sure that the previous budget of public institutions would automatically continue to be applied on an interim basis in order to prevent situations just such as this from occurring. Disgraceful.
”I know more than the drafters.” - Donald Trump (very likely)
Old 4th January 2019, 10:43 PM   #225
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think Pence was testing the waters, trying to make himself more visible and credible as a Trump replacement to Congress.
After all, it is God's Will that he becomes the Commander in Chief.
Old 5th January 2019, 02:55 AM   #226
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure Armitage meant that as sarcasm.
Okay but I say an emoji was in order there.
Old 5th January 2019, 03:28 AM   #227
jeremyp
Muse

Deleted because Ninja’d

Last edited by jeremyp; 5th January 2019 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Point already made by somebody else
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 03:44 AM   #228
jeremyp
Muse

My mistake. You intruded on an exchange between me and Darat. Naturally I assumed you meant to be relevant to that exchange. Remind me again what "flaw" you wish me to defend, please.
Are you aware that this is a public forum? Anybody can “intrude” anywhere they like - only it’s not intrusion, it’s taking part.

If you make an analogy and then claim you “vehemently believe arguments from analogies always fail”, you should expect to get called on it.

You made an analogy that the current situation is like a mobster making demands and threatening to shoot people if they are not complied with. It’s not unreasonable to infer from that that you believe this is the situation the USA is in.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:08 AM   #229
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think Pence was testing the waters, trying to make himself more visible and credible as a Trump replacement to Congress.
After all, it is God's Will that he becomes the Commander in Chief.
Pence is on a promise by the GOP. The Turtle obviously loaths Trump. Sooner or later Donny will become more of a liability than an asset in place. He is probably close to that tipping point now. Then the Senate will turn on him and he will be punted quick smart.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:23 AM   #230
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
”I know more than the drafters.” - Donald Trump (very likely)

Well, they didn’t manage to draft him, did they?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:26 AM   #231
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Pence is on a promise by the GOP. The Turtle obviously loaths Trump. Sooner or later Donny will become more of a liability than an asset in place. He is probably close to that tipping point now. Then the Senate will turn on him and he will be punted quick smart.
How likely is that? They are deeply imvested in Trump now, can they afford to change course?
Old 5th January 2019, 05:14 AM   #232
Tero
Graduate Poster

If, according to the right wingers, ”government does not do anything”, why is this shut down harmful? All they would be doing is regulating anyway. Now free enterprise can burn unlimited coal! And all regulations are bad. Win win! Send Trump to Florida for 2 years, ad we don’t need him either.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 05:15 AM   #233
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The meeting yesterday with the key players ostensibly to solve the shutdown started with Trump on a "15 minute profanity-laced rant about impeachment" according to press reports.

It's also being reported that Trump didn't understand what actually happens in a shutdown, and the administration is scrambling (more so than usual) as a result. This would sound absurd in normal times. These are not that.

Sorry no link. The transcript (Brian Williams MSNBC) will show up here soon, I presume.
Old 5th January 2019, 05:53 AM   #234
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
If, according to the right wingers, ”government does not do anything”, why is this shut down harmful? All they would be doing is regulating anyway. Now free enterprise can burn unlimited coal! And all regulations are bad. Win win! Send Trump to Florida for 2 years, ad we don’t need him either.
The claim is that government does nothing right, not that it does nothing.
So if in the absence of government something, against all expectations, doesn't suddenly work because of Invisible HandsTM, it shows the importance of the State, which is something we don't want anyone to see
Old 5th January 2019, 06:09 AM   #235
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Stop trying to introduce facts into a debate with a conservative it never works they only accept what the ministry of truth says.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:12 AM   #236
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Nationalistic ones.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:58 AM   #237
Tero
Graduate Poster

Well, government "does nothing right" is mostly because Republicans underfund it. You could fix healthcare anytime. Just cut defense 50%. Nobody has attacked the US since Pearl Harbor.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:03 AM   #238
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
The Art of the Deal.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:05 AM   #239
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

These parentheticals are on point.

Quote:
One of these knowledgeable sources told The Daily Beast President Trump kicked off the meeting with a rant lasting roughly 15 minutes that included his $5.6 billion demand for a border wall, and threatened that he was willing to keep the government closed for “years” if that’s what it took to get his wall. He also, unprompted, brought up the Democrats who want him impeached, and even blamed Pelosi for new Democratic congresswoman Rashida Tlaib saying at a party earlier this week that Democrats would impeach the “************” Trump. (It is unclear why Trump would think Pelosi was responsible for this.)

Trump proceeded to tell the room he was too popular to impeach.

Along with saying the word “****” at least three times throughout the meeting, the president bizarrely stated that he did not want to call the partial government shutdown a “shutdown,” according to the source. Instead, he referred to it as a “strike.” (Many of the federal employees affected by the weeks-long shutdown have been working without pay. That is essentially the opposite of a strike.)

Last edited by zooterkin; 7th January 2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Rule 10
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 07:07 AM   #240
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
How likely is that? They are deeply imvested in Trump now, can they afford to change course?
It's a matter of how much the GOP are prepared to lose. They are realists, ultimately. When Trump is just too much of a burden, they will cut him loose, and of course Pence will have to step in. I suspect a 25th amendment solution will be tried, and "regrettably", Trump will be "sent to care". Trump himself will rant and be a public pest, but he will be sidelined.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics