ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th January 2019, 03:19 PM   #321
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Who's loling at who?
Who is outraged at all?
Old 7th January 2019, 03:22 PM   #322
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Republicans have launched political attacks on her and this one random, anonymous Twitter user that we have zero idea about his social or political ideology posts an old video of her dancing with a snarky comment about it! IT'S ALL LINKED!"
Before he deleted his twitter account, some people looked at its history to see if it was some kind of parody. Apparently it was very typically what you'd expect from a hardcore Trump supporter.

Of course, there's always Poe's law, but it's been reported as likely the real deal, and you'd imagine a parody account to double-down rather than vanish.
Old 7th January 2019, 03:45 PM   #323
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Her cool nickname is AOC not ACO. Maybe she's not crazy, but Waldman is if he thinks Republicans believe wealth is synonymous with virtue.

Personally, I would be happy to go along with higher taxes on the wealthy. Republicans have boxed themselves in on this issue. Because they believe that tax increases are wrong (not morally, but economically), they have protected lots of wealthy people who turn around and vote their socially liberal consciences. If the liberal rich started having to actually pay higher taxes as a result of voting Democratic, they might think twice about it.

As for AOC, she's a twit who clearly doesn't understand how to get things done (or basic economics). That said, I certainly didn't see anything shocking in the video.
Here's the thing about those higher tax brackets. There is more than a reasonable argument that they stimulate growth not deter it. What it does is incentivise stockholders to stay vested as opposed to to pulling income out for personal use.
Old 7th January 2019, 04:00 PM   #324
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

So please explain to me what part of this "narrative" one random anonymous Twitter user is?

"Republicans have launched political attacks on her and this one random, anonymous Twitter user that we have zero idea about his social or political ideology posts an old video of her dancing with a snarky comment about it! IT'S ALL LINKED!"

This "Republicans are out to get her, so everything said negative about her in any context is about that" is a stretch.
...the reality is that what is happening at the moment in America is a propaganda war. Its a war that is being lead by the Trump administration, aided and abetted by elements in the Federal government, a complicit Republican party, a clueless and easily lead media, and an army of bots and disinformation agents on social media.

And its a battle that, by and large, they are winning. Its why Rashida Tlaib saying a bad-word has dominated news cycles. When we talk about "narrative": this is what we are talking about. Rashida Tlaib said the word ************. The RW narrative machine turned it into a talking point, then "left-leaning institutions" like the Washington Post and NBC published their "hot takes" on why what Tliab did is everything wrong with politics today. Its a story that is lingering like a bad smell. And thats exactly what they want. Its tactical on their part.

What happened here was a necessary pre-emptive strike. Attack the talking point before it gains traction. Turned what could have been a hurtful talking point into something that did the complete opposite. It could very easily have ended up differently.

Its all about "winning the news cycle." The "resistance" effectively "won" this round. I'll be honest: I don't much like what happened either, and in a normal world I'd probably be "on your side" on this issue. But things aren't normal, and this is how the battlefield works now, so the best I can do is sit back and let it all play out. Because the consequences of letting these "little" things go unchallenged could well be another four more years of Trump.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 05:02 PM   #325
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Before he deleted his twitter account, some people looked at its history to see if it was some kind of parody. Apparently it was very typically what you'd expect from a hardcore Trump supporter.

Of course, there's always Poe's law, but it's been reported as likely the real deal, and you'd imagine a parody account to double-down rather than vanish.
Why would I expect that?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:46 PM   #326
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...the reality is that what is happening at the moment in America is a propaganda war. Its a war that is being lead by the Trump administration, aided and abetted by elements in the Federal government, a complicit Republican party, a clueless and easily lead media, and an army of bots and disinformation agents on social media.

And its a battle that, by and large, they are winning. Its why Rashida Tlaib saying a bad-word has dominated news cycles.
I guess you forgot what happened when Dick Cheney said a bad word.

Quote:
What happened here was a necessary pre-emptive strike.
Republicans don't need to attack AOC. The Democrats will do it all for them, free of charge. AOC has no record of accomplishment, her ideas are unworkable fantasies, she has no network of power and support withing the party establishment, but she's getting tons of favorable press. This is actually bad news for the Democrats. More specifically, it's bad news for all the other elected Democrats who are struggling for press attention to raise their own profiles. Jealousy and infighting are what will sink AOC. Republicans won't have to do a thing.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:59 PM   #327
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Republicans don't need to attack AOC. The Democrats will do it all for them, free of charge. AOC has no record of accomplishment, her ideas are unworkable fantasies, she has no network of power and support withing the party establishment, but she's getting tons of favorable press. This is actually bad news for the Democrats. More specifically, it's bad news for all the other elected Democrats who are struggling for press attention to raise their own profiles. Jealousy and infighting are what will sink AOC. Republicans won't have to do a thing.
Can I have some of whatever you're smoking? That's some crazy analysis. AOC has been all over country helping other Democrats raise money. She's a star. Not perfect, but smart , articulate and telegenic.
Old 7th January 2019, 09:09 PM   #328
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Can I have some of whatever you're smoking? That's some crazy analysis. AOC has been all over country helping other Democrats raise money. She's a star. Not perfect, but smart , articulate and telegenic.
How do you think that makes Nancy Pelosi feel?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:27 PM   #329
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nancy's got hers. In the "caring conservative" newthink, why should she care about AOC? Pelosi is the Speaker of the House. She has no further aspirations and she was never the crazed leftwinger the troglodyte conservatives pictured her as.

More important, though, and you still have 55 minutes on our session before my next patient.....

"And how does that make you feel?"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:31 PM   #330
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

...way back in 2004 a "news cycle" was an objectively different thing. A single cite from a single news source doesn't show that "Dick Cheney said a bad word" even lasted a cycle, let alone dominated several cycles. The President at the time didn't criticize Cheney. There is no comparison between what happened then and what happened now.

Quote:
Propaganda in action. Thanks for showing for the rest of us how these "fact-free talking points" work. You don't need facts on your side. Just make stuff up, repeat it often enough, and people like you believe.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:32 PM   #331
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Nancy's got hers. In the "caring conservative" newthink, why should she care about AOC?
You lost me. Are you accusing Pelosi of caring conservative newthink?
Old 7th January 2019, 09:38 PM   #332
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Why the hell would Pelosi care?

Pelosi being speaker manages the office space for the House. Guess who is two doors down from Pelosi? AOC. Sounds to me, Pelosi is taking AOC under her wing so to speak. BTW, Pelosi is 78 years old and has said, she will pass the torch next session.
Old 7th January 2019, 09:45 PM   #333
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

You lost me. Are you accusing Pelosi of caring conservative newthink?
No. I'm ridiculing your ridiculous query.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:45 PM   #334
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Unlike Conservatives, the rest of us don't think in terms of zero sum play. We believe that when a colleague gets raised up it helps raise up the collective, and thus is a good thing, not a threat to be taken out because they might take some of what is ours.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 10:26 PM   #335
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And of course if is always the other guy who is guilty of tribalism......

That's some good false equivalency there.

All people don't consider themselves members of the same sort of tribe. Trumpists consider themselves the tribe of white Americans of western European descent. And for some bizarre reason, Hispanic isn't part of that tribe. Or Jews. Or probably Catholics. I've probably missed a few exceptions.

There's also the tribe of all Americans, which is closer to the average Democrat's tribe.

And then there's the tribe of all humanity. A few more steps up.

Who do you think of as your tribe? Do you believe it's the same as the average Trump supporter?
Old 7th January 2019, 11:31 PM   #336
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That's some good false equivalency there.

All people don't consider themselves members of the same sort of tribe. Trumpists consider themselves the tribe of white Americans of western European descent. And for some bizarre reason, Hispanic isn't part of that tribe. Or Jews. Or probably Catholics. I've probably missed a few exceptions.

There's also the tribe of all Americans, which is closer to the average Democrat's tribe.

And then there's the tribe of all humanity. A few more steps up.

Who do you think of as your tribe? Do you believe it's the same as the average Trump supporter?
Perhaps, it's just me, but I read his comment more as a critique of Joe's oft uttered decrylation of tribalism - sort of a tribe that hates tribalism if you will.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 11:51 PM   #337
Stacyhs
Philosopher

No, but I remember when he shot someone in the face.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:23 AM   #338
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I still don't get why people are confusing lols with outrage. Are we to believe that there is outrage over Fiji Water Girl?

For the record I love what the Fiji Water Girl did. Talk about a ballsy stunt that worked spectacularly.

As for AOC, I love her. I love her platform of ideas though I might go a bit more extreme. I think we have too many useless super rich that get rich just moving money around and not creating anything. As such I've flirted with the radical idea that we implement Roman style decimation with the super rich. The chosen 10% would have their assets seized and redistributed into social programs.
Old 8th January 2019, 01:44 AM   #339
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Iíll give you telegenic, and the bar is evidently low for articulate, but smart? Yeah, Iím not the one smoking strange stuff.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 03:15 AM   #340
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Iíll give you telegenic, and the bar is evidently low for articulate, but smart? Yeah, Iím not the one smoking strange stuff.
So she just graduated from one of the top 50 universities in the world by fluke, did she?
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 04:03 AM   #341
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Why would I expect that?
Why would you expect what?
Old 8th January 2019, 04:48 AM   #342
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Compared to the last two Republican Presidents, she's a ******* genius.
Old 8th January 2019, 05:05 AM   #343
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
So she just graduated from one of the top 50 universities in the world by fluke, did she?
To expand on your point:

"Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007,[16] where she won second prize in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on C. elegans' lifespan.[17] As a result, the International Astronomical Union named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.[18][19] In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.[20] In 2008, while Ocasio-Cortez was a sophomore at Boston University, her father died of lung cancer.[21][22] During college, she was an intern in the immigration office of U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy.[23] She graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in international relations and a minor in economics."

Alexandria Ocasio-CortezWP
Old 8th January 2019, 05:17 AM   #344
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Indeed so!

In fact, even if one goes back to the last five Republican presidents (Ford, Reagan, H.W. Bush, G.W. Bush and Trump) the she is quite the genius indeed.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 05:31 AM   #345
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
To expand on your point:

"Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007,[16] where she won second prize in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on C. elegans' lifespan.[17] As a result, the International Astronomical Union named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.[18][19] In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.[20] In 2008, while Ocasio-Cortez was a sophomore at Boston University, her father died of lung cancer.[21][22] During college, she was an intern in the immigration office of U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy.[23] She graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in international relations and a minor in economics."

Alexandria Ocasio-CortezWP
She sounds way too smart. She's the elite, so we should all dismiss her because of that.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 06:12 AM   #346
dann
Philosopher

By the way, a more subtle way of dismissing her is to call her "adorable."
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 06:23 AM   #347
Parsman
Muse

You support Trump and you comment on another politician's smarts? Think you may have a bad case of AOCDS.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 06:33 AM   #348
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
By the way, a more subtle way of dismissing her is to call her "adorable."
I admit that I did so, because I found the video adorable. That said, AOC is obviously a much more competent person than me, and I don't mean to be dismissive.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 06:40 AM   #349
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
You support Trump and you comment on another politician's smarts? Think you may have a bad case of AOCDS.
Itís just the standard conservative MO. Remember when the guy who graduated magma cum laude from Haravard Law wasnít that smart either?

Meanwhile, Trump will say more dumb **** by the time I finish typing this sentence than Obama and Ocasio-Cortez will say for the rest of their lives combined. But nary a word of criticism from our resident conservatives who suddenly care about the intelligence of politicians again.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 06:43 AM   #350
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Itís just the standard conservative MO. Remember when the guy who graduated magma cum laude from Haravard Law wasnít that smart either?

Meanwhile, Trump will say more dumb **** by the time I finish typing this sentence than Obama and Ocasio-Cortez will say for the rest of their lives combined. But nary a word of criticism from our resident conservatives who suddenly care about the intelligence of politicians again.
That's a bit of hyperbole. But it isn't far off.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:50 AM   #351
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
I love the internal inconsistencies of the left. AOC's must be smart because she graduated from a top school, but Trump and Bush are idiots even though they did too.

If it weren't for double standards, you wouldn't have any standards at all.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:52 AM   #352
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

I'm not the one who brought up intelligence. Nor was any lack of it my problem with Obama. And you hardly need me to tell you Trump says stupid ****.
Old 8th January 2019, 08:05 AM   #353
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I love the internal inconsistencies of the left. AOC's must be smart because she graduated from a top school, but Trump and Bush are idiots even though they did too.

For this to mean something, you need to demonstrate inconsistencies from the same entity, preferably a significant entity. Obviously there will be diverging and inconsistent opinions in any group as large as "the left".
Old 8th January 2019, 08:06 AM   #354
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
For this to mean something, you need to demonstrate inconsistencies from the same entity, preferably a significant entity. Obviously there will be diverging and inconsistent opinions in any group as large as "the left".
Just watch: neither of them will take exception with the other's argument.
Old 8th January 2019, 08:09 AM   #355
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Damn.... the Republicans are really desperate to find something.... anything!... aren't they?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 08:31 AM   #356
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
*Head desk*

This entire thread is based on the idea that this one random tweet from one random anonymous idiot represents some coordinated attack on AOC from the Right that the Left has to launch some sort of preemptive strike on.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 08:34 AM   #357
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Nice projection. Pity it's completely offtopic and I've made no comment anything like that in this thread.

Oh and for the record, I don't think Bush was an idiot, though he was one of the worst public speakers I've ever seen, and whatever intelligence Trump may or may not have once possessed it's long since disappeared under the weight of his ego.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 08:37 AM   #358
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

*Head desk*

This entire thread is based on the idea that this one random tweet from one random anonymous idiot represents some coordinated attack on AOC from the Right that the Left has to launch some sort of preemptive strike on.
Yeah, but it reminded us how awesome Jim Hoft is, so that's a blessing.

Also, every time I see AOC, I say to myself - appellation d'origine controlťe.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 08:46 AM   #359
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

*Head desk*

Yes and? I've more or less expressed the same sentiment upthread as you express here. You need not subject your head to further abuse, as tempting as it may be to posture vacuously.
Old 8th January 2019, 08:49 AM   #360
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Yeah, but it reminded us how awesome Jim Hoft is, so that's a blessing.

Also, every time I see AOC, I say to myself - appellation d'origine controlťe.
Champagne!!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics