ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Howard Schultz , presidential candidates , third parties , third party candidates

Old 27th January 2019, 07:11 PM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Howard Schultz Threatens 3rd Party Run

Which could throw a monkey wrench into the Democrats plan to nominate a hard line liberal.

Quote:
Howard Schultz, the former chief executive of Starbucks and a self-described “lifelong Democrat,” said Sunday he was preparing to run for president as an independent and had already begun the groundwork required to be on the ballot in all 50 states.

Mr. Schultz, in an interview with The New York Times, said he planned to crisscross the country for the next three months as part of a book tour before deciding whether to enter the race. A billionaire, Mr. Schultz would face a difficult road despite his considerable wealth: Few independent candidates have mounted successful challenges for the White House.
I don't know why they say "Few" when they mean "No." It's true that a few independent candidates have gotten a significant amount of votes, but none of them have actually been successful in the sense of winning.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2019, 07:43 PM   #2
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Which could throw a monkey wrench into the Democrats plan to nominate a hard line liberal.

I don't know why they say "Few" when they mean "No." It's true that a few independent candidates have gotten a significant amount of votes, but none of them have actually been successful in the sense of winning.
Well there'll never be a first time if no one ever tries.
Old 27th January 2019, 08:11 PM   #3
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

I think Shultz is delusional. He's not very charismatic and not even popular in his home state of Washington. In fact, he's a bit of a pariah in Seattle.
Old 27th January 2019, 09:41 PM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Schultz has been floating this trial balloon for eight years, now. No one ever tries to catch the string to prevent it from floating away, though. He can get the press to do an interview or write an article but no one else seems interested.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets any supporters showing up on his book-selling tour.

I'd normally say he's a threat to Trump, but he's only a recent convert to "Independent" and that's a pretty hard sell to the modern GOPer.

I know he's rich but unless he's got backers, he can't actually announce as they're going into the preliminaries. He would have to outspend the Dem primary candidates five to one just to match all the free air time they get. And that would be even higher if a primary battle comes to the Republicans. He has to stay out of it until he can afford to battle one-off with the other two major party candidates. Vying for attention before summer of '20 would be far too expensive.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

From the times article.

Quote:
“When I hear people espousing free government-paid college, free
government-paid health care and a free government job for everyone
— on top of a $21 trillion debt — the question is, how are we paying for
all this and not bankrupting the country?” Mr. Schultz said.

“It’s as big of a false narrative as the wall,” he added. “Doesn’t someone
have to speak the truth about what we can afford while maintaining a deep
level of compassion and empathy for the American people?”

But in the Six Minutes interview has said.

Quote:
Scott Pelley: The 2018 tax cut.

Howard Schultz: I would not have given a free ride to business, from
35 percent or 37 percent to 21 percent. It would've been more modest.
But I would've significantly addressed the people who need tax relief
the most, which is the people I talked about earlier, who don't have $400
in the bank.
Seriously?

I don’t feel he’s explored the issue much.

Based on the interview, I'll give him a C minus.

Last edited by Solitaire; 27th January 2019 at 09:43 PM.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Trump wants him to run:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...81244312178688
Old 28th January 2019, 07:51 AM   #8
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

This thread should be renamed to "Howard Schultz devotes his life to re-electing Trump".

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 08:11 AM   #9
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Never mind Baby Hitler and Baby Trump. Baby Schultz!

I'm pleased to be unambiguously on record about the swill he's served that now funds this ego trip, so that nobody doubts my motives. Blech!

The thing is, if it isn't Schultz then some other ego-tripper will do it. And if 2016 taught me anything, it's that dimwits on the left are indeed clueless dimwits, unable to recognize a clear and present danger when it stares them in the face.

I swear, if the day comes that space aliens invade the earth, and the people of the world must come together to rebuff them, just say hello to our new masters and hope we're not on the menu.
Old 28th January 2019, 09:54 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Why can't rich people just be content to live in luxury and enjoy their wealth? Why must so many of them decide to pursue power as well? If I were a billionaire I'd be living it up, not trying to acquire enormous responsibilities!
Old 28th January 2019, 10:15 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Why can't rich people just be content to live in luxury and enjoy their wealth? Why must so many of them decide to pursue power as well? If I were a billionaire I'd be living it up, not trying to acquire enormous responsibilities!
As far as I can tell, there's two ways to get rich. One of those two ways is to go out there and Do Stuff. The satisfaction comes from the activities that produce the wealth, or power, or whatever. The kind of person who's ready to sit back and enjoy their wealth are typically not the kind of people who are motivated to acquire that wealth in the first place. And the kind of people that are motivated to acquire such wealth are not typically the kind of people that can really sit back and relax the way you or I might dream of doing. The effort and experience of going out there and getting something done is their satisfaction.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 10:21 AM   #12
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Most are. But to those seeking power It's the ultimate rush. They get to control the lives of others both positively and negatively. All of a sudden, everyone is calling you requesting this or that. They host parties for you and give you money. Nothing like attention and adulation to give you a hard-on

But as I said, Schultz couldn't win the city of Seattle where he founded and where Starbucks is headquartered. Half his employees hate him and the other half simply tolerate him. Sports fan despise him because he is the reason the NBA basketball team Sonics now plays in OKC and not Seattle. Hes floated the idea of running before with little success.

Last edited by acbytesla; 28th January 2019 at 10:27 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 10:23 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I guess it's like how so many actors imagine they can direct, so many business people think they could preside.
Old 28th January 2019, 10:29 AM   #14
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I guess it's like how so many actors imagine they can direct, so many business people think they could preside.
Something like that.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:12 AM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I think Shultz is delusional. He's not very charismatic and not even popular in his home state of Washington. In fact, he's a bit of a pariah in Seattle.
To expand on the pariah part, he bought the SuperSonics basketball team not long after they'd had the Seattle Center Colosseum remodeled to their exact specs, which not incidentally made it unsuitable for the NHL, then complained about the arena and wanted the taxpayers to improve it for him again. When turned down he sold the team to some guys form Oklahoma who never had the slightest intention of doing anything but move it. He then claimed to be surprised they moved it; that he never thought they would do such a thing. If true, he's the only person in the state who thought that. He's either stupid or a liar.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:13 AM   #16
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
To expand on the pariah part, he bought the SuperSonics basketball team not long after they'd had the Seattle Center Colosseum remodeled to their exact specs, which not incidentally made it unsuitable for the NHL, then complained about the arena and wanted the taxpayers to improve it for him again. When turned down he sold the team to some guys form Oklahoma who never had the slightest intention of doing anything but move it. He then claimed to be surprised they moved it; that he never thought they would do such a thing. If true, he's the only person in the state who thought that. He's either stupid or a liar.
Or?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 11:36 AM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Or?
Mea Culpa! He's done very well selling overpriced coffee, however.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:44 AM   #18
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. On the local sports talk radio show KJR, Howard is easily the most bashed person in the State.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:47 AM   #19
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

He's getting dragged by Pop Tarts:
Hello I am considering a presidential run in 2020. Please RT if you would support this endeavor for me.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 12:44 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He should stick to selling Coffee.
I admit, right now I have a deep prejudice against ANY wealthy businessman with no experience in politics or government becoming President;look at how it has turned out...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:58 PM   #21
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Poorly.
Old 28th January 2019, 02:31 PM   #22
Pope130
Master Poster

There is no way I'm going to vote for a man who makes a cup of coffee that costs more than a gallon of gasoline, and tastes as bad.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:46 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He should stick to selling Coffee.
I admit, right now I have a deep prejudice against ANY wealthy businessman with no experience in politics or government becoming President;look at how it has turned out...
Coffee vs Covfefe might be an interesting race.

As for local sports tycoons, I'd sooner vote for Paul Allen. He's dead, but I won't hold that against him.

ETA: In all seriousness, I can't imagine a more horrifying possibility than Schultz against Trump.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 28th January 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 03:00 PM   #24
Random
Illuminator

There seems to be no shortage of wealthy people who think, “Hey, what we really need is a third party candidate who is willing to look past the things that divide us like abortion, immigration, and gun control, and focus on the things that all Americans agree on, like slashing Social Security and using the money to lower tax rates on ordinary Americans making over $500k a year…”
Old 28th January 2019, 03:02 PM   #25
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
There seems to be no shortage of wealthy people who think, “Hey, what we really need is a third party candidate who is willing to look past the things that divide us like abortion, immigration, and gun control, and focus on the things that all Americans agree on, like slashing Social Security and using the money to lower tax rates on ordinary Americans making over $500k a year…”
People who have Schultz's views on fiscal policy but (also like Schultz) liberal views on e.g. gun control or abortion or immigration were, generally speaking, more likely to vote for *Trump* than Clinton in 2016. Will have more on that later this week.
It's almost like a party that serves that constituency already exists.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 04:33 PM   #26
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
This thread should be renamed to "Howard Schultz devotes his life to re-electing Trump".
How so? From what I can see his draw would be primarily among moderate Republicans and disaffected Republicans now claiming to be Independents (or Democrats), and they really don't seem to make up any significant fraction of potential Democratic voters or those inclined to vote Democratic. Sounds like more of an Independent spoiler for the GOP (or at least the GOP that used to be, they've pretty much become their own spoiler since Trump carjacked them - what is their percentage of the electorate down to now 26-27% of the electorate?), a 2020 Ross Perot.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 04:38 PM   #27
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Poorly.
...and yet, most of their health outcomes and popular satisfaction ratings are much higher than the equivalent US outcomes despite our greatly inflated prices,...I guess you could be referring to US healthcare investor returns?
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 04:44 PM   #28
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

...ETA: In all seriousness, I can't imagine a more horrifying possibility than Schultz against Trump.
Should make it easier for the Progressive candidate to excel, provided we actually get a Progressive candidate option for once.
Old 28th January 2019, 04:48 PM   #29
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Something you'll never get forgiven for is screwing with a sports fan's team. Screw their partner and you've a chance of recovery, but heaven help you if you mess with their team.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 04:49 PM   #30
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah , they used to be called moderate Republicans, before they suffered a major, near extinction level, event.

Last edited by Trakar; 28th January 2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 28th January 2019, 05:00 PM   #31
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Trakar View Post
Yeah , they used to be called moderate Republicans, before they suffered a major, near extinction level, event.
Pre-1980. The comets came from the Goldwater Galaxy in 1964 (earth time). The first hit when the actual people behind Reagan (not Reagan himself) were left with the GOP and sold all principals to getting re-elected, first by endorsing the Southern Strategy and subsequently by caving to two separate but not necessarily exclusive wings.... the Fundies and the Tea Party.

Comet Trump landed in RNC HQ the day after the election in '16 but it was a fifty year journey from the Goldwater Galaxy.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 05:26 PM   #32
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Poorly.
Perhaps you need to check your facts.

In a 2014 survey, the US Health System came last of 11 OECD countries, behind the UK, Switzerland, Sweden Australia, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, France and Canada.

Looking at Survival Rates is a bit tricky because the dates are all over the place, but the only one where the US is at the top is Breast Cancer survival. For Cardiac Disease they are well behind Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, and Poland, and just ahead of Canada.

Overall life expectancy, the US is ranked at 31st, below Japan, Switzerland, Australia, Sweden, France, The Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, the UK, Germany, and Denmark. In fact they are only just above Cuba, a county that has been locked in the 1960's for nearly 60 years.

Even in Patient satisfaction the US comes in at #4, beaten by Sweden, Finland, and Norway. (though this paper by WHO, and this one from The Commonwealth Fund, shows why Patient Satisfaction isn't a totally useful measure.)

In this Feb 2018, Business Insider list of 19 countries with the best healthcare, the US didn't even make the list!

So yeah, for a Country that spends double the amount on their healthcare than any of those that have a Government run public system for everyone (be that a Government single payer, or a Government run Insurance Scheme, or a Government Funded, Privately run Insurance scheme) your healthcare is quite poor indeed, and from my own personal experience of the US System vs ours here in NZ, I'm sticking with ours (and my wife, who is an American, has come to agree with that over her 10 years here.)

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 28th January 2019 at 05:41 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 05:52 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
There is no way I'm going to vote for a man who makes a cup of coffee that costs more than a gallon of gasoline, and tastes as bad.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who refuses to shell out $3.00+ for a simple cup of coffee that tastes burned.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:04 PM   #34
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who refuses to shell out $3.00+ for a simple cup of coffee that tastes burned.
In a city such as Seattle, more like $4.50 these days. For less than that, one can enjoy the most sublime cappuccino on the planet.
Old 28th January 2019, 06:10 PM   #35
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

We have a Starbucks in the foyer of our local hospital...

<insert jokes here about building up clientele>
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:12 PM   #36
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trakar View Post
How so? From what I can see his draw would be primarily among moderate Republicans and disaffected Republicans now claiming to be Independents (or Democrats), and they really don't seem to make up any significant fraction of potential Democratic voters or those inclined to vote Democratic. Sounds like more of an Independent spoiler for the GOP (or at least the GOP that used to be, they've pretty much become their own spoiler since Trump carjacked them - what is their percentage of the electorate down to now 26-27% of the electorate?), a 2020 Ross Perot.

Hmm. OK. I may have assumed too much from limited knowledge of him.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:16 PM   #37
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
We have a Starbucks in the foyer of our local hospital...

<insert jokes here about building up clientele>
It seems they're more common than rats in NYC or churches in the Deep South.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:25 PM   #38
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Rich people, and others, need to stop thinking of Political positions as positions of power, and regard them as they are meant to be, positions of public service, positions where those that fill them can give back to the society that has given to them.

JFK had it perfectly right in his inauguration speech...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:53 PM   #39
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'd normally say he's a threat to Trump, but he's only a recent convert to "Independent" and that's a pretty hard sell to the modern GOPer.
Some modern GOPers only voted for Trump because Clinton was literally the worst person imaginable to them. I have a feeling a couple of the resident conservatives here fall into that camp.

So, I dunno.
Old 28th January 2019, 06:56 PM   #40
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Money has no function besides power after a certain point.

I don't think hardly anyone makes it to billionaire status without being a power junkie beforehand.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics