ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:17 PM   #361
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Not exactly nothing. It artificially raises the voter turnout so advocates can claim that 'democracy' is working. This will be of enormous propaganda value once we become a one party police state, since the high turnout will prove that everyone supports it. Then we can proudly join the ranks of other dictatorships where the ruling party gets 100% of the vote.
Mandatory voting ==> one party dictatorship?

Last edited by psionl0; 6th February 2019 at 08:32 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 08:56 PM   #362
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post

Give them time. 100 years of compulsory voting in Australia is nothing to the nefarious people who are working towards becoming Dictators. They take the long view, and will be ready to strike any decade or two from now. 2200 CE at the very latest.

People like Roger Ramjets understand this.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 02:37 AM   #363
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I agree. You can make it mandatory to show up at the polling place, or to return a mail in ballot, with a fine for failing to do so, but as long as you have a secret ballot, you can't prevent people from returning a blank ballot, or marking their ballot randomly. I really don't see how mandatory voting makes any difference at all.
It turns out that people aren't voting out of laziness rather some ideological position. If PARTICIPATION is mandatory, it turns out that they actually do want to express their opinion after all.

Voting is still not mandatory in Australia.
Old 7th February 2019, 02:47 AM   #364
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I shouldn't have to pay the government *anything*, for the right to not vote if I don't want to.
You already do.
Old 8th February 2019, 05:19 PM   #365
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
He still has to cast a ballot, which is part of the voting process. We're just playing word games, here. He can't just sit it out without getting fined.
Except you can request and return a postal vote, or not vote at all and receive a piddly little fine.

(If you don't respond to the fine, your name is taken of the electoral roll, because you're presumed to have moved.)
Old 8th February 2019, 06:50 PM   #366
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Except you can request and return a postal vote, or not vote at all and receive a piddly little fine.

(If you don't respond to the fine, your name is taken of the electoral roll, because you're presumed to have moved.)
I know all that. None of that changes anything I've said.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 11:57 PM   #367
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I'm not saying it's inevitable, but mandatory voting is a tool favored by dictators.

Mandatory:
Synonyms - compulsory, commanding, forced.
Antonyms - optional, voluntary, free.

Rights:
Quote:
...are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement; that is, rights are the fundamental normative rules about what is allowed of people or owed to people
When voting becomes mandatory it is no longer a right. If the government can get away with subverting such an essential right, what's to stop them from extending the practice to other activities? Religious rights ==> forced observance of Christianity, reproductive rights ==> forced childbirth. Think that couldn't happen here? Think again - it's already happening! And a large section of the population would love to see it enforced at Federal level.

Last edited by Roger Ramjets; 9th February 2019 at 12:01 AM.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:27 AM   #368
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Norm's explanation is better. You are just making up a giant CT.
Old 9th February 2019, 09:28 AM   #369
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There's still too much of a balancing act between mandatory voting being just super awesome because of all these reasons, but any concerns getting brushed off via "Oh it's doesn't matter because nobody takes it seriously and if you don't do it they don't really do anything to you..."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 10:25 AM   #370
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
There's still too much of a balancing act between mandatory voting being just super awesome because of all these reasons, but any concerns getting brushed off via "Oh it's doesn't matter because nobody takes it seriously and if you don't do it they don't really do anything to you..."
I find it makes more sense when viewed as a cultural quirk, rather than as an ethical principle or as a public policy.

Last edited by theprestige; 9th February 2019 at 10:29 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 02:32 PM   #371
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

In South Australia, we did not get a general franchise to vote for representatives in the upper house until 1973.

https://www.parliament.sa.gov.au/ABO...veCouncil.aspx

I'm stunned at the "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah making me participate is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad..." in this thread.
Old 9th February 2019, 02:42 PM   #372
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
In South Australia, we did not get a general franchise to vote for representatives in the upper house until 1973.

https://www.parliament.sa.gov.au/ABO...veCouncil.aspx

I'm stunned at the "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah making me participate is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad..." in this thread.
Forcing participation is bad, though.

Also, I think you owe me an apology.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 04:24 PM   #373
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's more the case of Australians describing what it is like when you have mandatory voting. Any "concerns" listed here are dismissed because they are simply not an issue in Australia.

Australians don't see mandatory voting as an attack on individual freedoms. At worst, it is a minor inconvenience.

I find it makes more sense when viewed as a cultural quirk, rather than as an ethical principle or as a public policy.
Sounds about right.
Old 10th February 2019, 02:25 AM   #374
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

So far, no such argument has been put forward.
It has now:

Originally Posted by Cain View Post

We saw these arguments.

It's going to be difficult to get someone who does not see the problem to agree that a proposed solution solves a non-problem. This is especially difficult if anyone believes the policy will lead to the election of leaders that are personally less preferred (more Democrats, fewer Republicans). Besides that, "solve" is too high a standard. Do laws against homicide "solve" the murder problem? Compulsory voting leads to a number of improvements, which have been identified and repeated throughout this thread. They appear on this page.

What's the less intrusive solution?

This is an abuse of language. Is it important everyone pays their taxes? Yeah, sure. What happens if one person cheats and does not pay their taxes? Well, pretty much nothing. Aha, I guess it's not important that everyone pays their taxes! This is the way it goes with public goods. These same arguments could be used against anything. A hard-core libertarian could say the state should not force them to vaccinate their children.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 02:36 AM   #375
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Americans are already "forced" to participate in elections even if they do not want to vote.
Old 13th February 2019, 06:26 PM   #376
Kid Eager
Philosopher

An article on Australia's citizenship test was published today in the Sydney Morning Herald, included in which was a sample test:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...4bb302f38c6a03

Relevant to this thread was the following question:

8. Which of these is a responsibility of Australian citizens aged 18 years or over?

a. To attend local council meetings

b. To vote in elections

c. To have a current Australian passport

Yes, Karen - voting in a democracy is both a right and a responsibility. Can this statement at least be agreed?

If coercion to exercise a responsibility is inherently wrong, as has been claimed in this thread, why is there coercion for other responsibilities and they don't seem to garner the same outrage? Or, let's consider the reverse: what would be the impact of removing coercion from other responsibilities?

Last edited by Kid Eager; 13th February 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 06:29 PM   #377
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Australia has a Citizenship test?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 12:56 AM   #378
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Australia has a Citizenship test?
Hey, not every country is as enlightened as New Zealand.

History of voting in New Zealand
Quote:
Whilst the possibility of compulsory voting has gained some traction, current Prime Minister Jacinda Arden has expressed her hesitation, saying that compulsion is an ineffective way to foster democratic engagement in non-voting demographics.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics