ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , Ralph Northam , Virginia politics

Old 1st February 2019, 10:22 PM   #81
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

!

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I don't think he should resign, although this is the only thing I know about this guy. I just learned he was a Democrat one minute ago in this thread. Doesn't change my opinion. Was this a Halloween costume?

This type of stuff needs to stop - the "OMG look what X did 35 years ago!" I did a few things when I was 20 that would be very offensive today, and I still have the evidence for one somewhere (a song).

And yes it was less shocking (but still pretty shocking I'd say) back in the 80's and was considered very funny. It still is funny, though very offensive. It's racial humor.
It wasn't so shocking that a yearbook editor would worry about it. They really were different times.

Regardless of what the times were, or just what he did, it was still 35 years ago. No one ought to care. Even if he were actually a real KKK guy, (like Robert Byrd), or signed an agreement not to sell his house to black people (like Joe Biden did), or whatever, it was 35 years ago. If anything in your whole life can be used as mudslinging, an awful lot of good people would be kept from office, because we've all been young.

Quote:
When I was a kid my Mom bought me a book of Italian jokes, and I'm Italian. Italian jokes were huge then, as were Polish jokes. I never cared, obviously. I had one book of Italian and Polish jokes.
Remember when Ronald Reagan combined both of them, as a candidate, before being elected?

Q: How do you tell the Pollock at a cockfight?
A: He's the one with the duck.
Q: How do you tell the Italian at a cockfight?
A: He's the one who bets on the duck.
Q: How do you tell when the Italian is in the mafia?
A: The duck wins.

A few people tried to turn that joke into something that would disqualify him as President, and he even made up a cover story to brush it away but, really, no on cared. I suppose today he just wouldn't be allowed to be president. (Not that I would mind that, but of all Reagan's sins, telling offensive jokes just doesn't make my list of things to worry about.\
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 10:25 PM   #82
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Interesting fact: If Northam resigns, his successor will be the Lt. Gov., who is black. I'll bet the Repubs are feeling conflicted about demanding that he quit.
https://www.ltgov.virginia.gov/
And yet the Virginia GOP is demanding his resignation.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 10:42 PM   #83
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Doesn't the Virginia GOP call for everyone on the other side to resign about once a week.

The important issue is that every voice that matters (and it ain't Conway and the Virginia GOP) is calling for him to resign. The VA Black Caucus met with him and still call for his resignation, as have sitting members of both bodies of the legislature. As have the liberal newspapers in his own state.

He has zero support. I'm going to be real surprised if he makes it to midnight tonight without resigning (so he can do an apologia tour on the Sunday talk shows). Definitely by Monday, though.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 10:57 PM   #84
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

If this had taken place in the 1960's maybe forgivable as youthful stupidity, but in the mid-1980's, this was already totally unacceptable behavior. He needs to resign immediately, not just for what he did, but to show America that the left have the moral high-ground.

He resigns, and that shows the right's forced appointment of Drunky McRapeface to SCOTUS to be an even more morally bankrupt decision than it appears.

And as usual, the usual suspect is furiously handwringing... if this had been a Republican Governor, he would be all over this defending him (see the Drunky McRapeface debate thread.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 11:08 PM   #85
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Wow, I'm shocked.
Old 1st February 2019, 11:09 PM   #86
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I think he should offer to resign if Kavanaugh will too.
Hah!
Old 1st February 2019, 11:12 PM   #87
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If you want to convince people that your tribe is better than the other tribe because the other tribe is full of jerks you have to get rid of the jerks in your own tribe. Nobody's delighted with the rapist just because he's an enemy of the murderer.
Did Kavanaugh admit to his actions as a teen? Did he explain how he no longer has a drinking problem.

Do you see the difference?
Old 1st February 2019, 11:14 PM   #88
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Whether or not he should resign, the Republicans calling for him to resign is hypocritical beyond belief. ....
No ****.

Some people in this forum on both sides need to get over this false equivalence BS and assess incidents on their own merits.

Is the guy a ******* racist or not?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st February 2019 at 11:19 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 11:27 PM   #89
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

That is a little strong. I don't think making a fool of yourself in a failed attempt on humor..which is what this almost certainly was..should wreck a man's career.
Of course he needs to apologize and explain,but if we kicked everybody who did something really stupid when in college out we would have no one left to hold office.
Would it be different if it were Trump or any other Republican? Can one really point a finger at racism while dressed as a KKK member?

It's times like these that make popcorn more enjoyable as times like these define the Democrat party based on their actions or lack of them.
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 11:36 PM   #90
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Would that be the same Virginia GOP that said that Northam "turned his back on his own family’s heritage" by calling for the removal of Confederate monuments?

Northam is toast, but it's not because of anything the Party of Trump is "demanding."
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:08 AM   #91
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Interesting fact: If Northam resigns, his successor will be the Lt. Gov., who is black. I'll bet the Repubs are feeling conflicted about demanding that he quit.
I'm a Dem who thinks he should resign, and I'm 100% okay with this development.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:18 AM   #92
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, so posing as either a Klansman or in blackface 35 years ago disqualifies you for high office.

How do you all feel about somebody who was drunk, got into an accident, and then tried to flee the scene 21 years ago?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:59 AM   #93
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Okay, so posing as either a Klansman or in blackface 35 years ago disqualifies you for high office.

How do you all feel about somebody who was drunk, got into an accident, and then tried to flee the scene 21 years ago?
When Beto's buddies publish a picture from his scrapbook saying "Me, fleeing the scene of an accident" that might give one pause. The guy was so drunk that his responses are incomprehensible. What are the actual odds that he was fleeing the scene vs trying to get clear of the wreck in case it did a Hollywood Kaboom versus get out of the median strip? The cop reported that he couldn't maintain his balance to stand on one leg, almost fell when he was asked to exit the vehicle and had speech that was so slurred that it was nearly incomprehensible.
A) Is that person in any condition to "flee" the scene of an accident?
B) Was he able to even understand what happened, where he was and what he was doing at that moment?

Too many variables. Uncomfortable story? Yeah. Equal to dressing up as a Klansman or Blackface Minstrel? Not in a heartbeat.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 02:19 AM   #94
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
He needs to resign immediately, not just for what he did, but to show America that the left have the moral high-ground.
"when they go low, we go high lose".

Quote:
He resigns, and that shows the right's forced appointment of Drunky McRapeface to SCOTUS to be an even more morally bankrupt decision than it appears. is another victory for republicans
ftfy

Quote:
And as usual, the usual suspect is furiously handwringing... if this had been a Republican Governor, he would be all over this defending him (see the Drunky McRapeface debate thread.
IOKIYAR
Old 2nd February 2019, 02:53 AM   #95
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

How do you all feel about somebody who was drunk, got into an accident, and then fled the scene 50 years ago?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:10 AM   #96
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

RIP Mary Jo.
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:35 AM   #97
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

In this particular case he put on a costume, posed for pictures and allowed them to be published in his med school (not college) yearbook. That's multiple bad decisions, not just a stupid bar bet. By all accounts he's been a progressive voice for equality throughout his career. But this picture will hang over his head forever. Still, I'd like to ask him "What were you thinking?"
3 decades ago.
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:40 AM   #98
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Would it be different if it were Trump or any other Republican? Can one really point a finger at racism while dressed as a KKK member?

It's times like these that make popcorn more enjoyable as times like these define the Democrat party based on their actions or lack of them.
Chris B.
If he was a Republican, the GOP would laugh it off. "Resign? You got to be kidding. Next question."
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:42 AM   #99
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
If he was a Republican, the GOP would laugh it off. "Resign? You got to be kidding. Next question."
"Too bad he's a doctor, not a lawyer. There might be a SCOTUS spot vacant beford long."
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:53 AM   #100
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If this had taken place in the 1960's maybe forgivable as youthful stupidity, but in the mid-1980's, this was already totally unacceptable behavior. He needs to resign immediately, not just for what he did, but to show America that the left have the moral high-ground.
"He pissed off a large segment of the base" seems reason enough, actually. We still don't quite know if he's dressed as the racial terrorist, or the Step n' Fetchit stereotype standing next to the racial terrorist, but either way, it's not helpful.

Quote:
He resigns, and that shows the right's forced appointment of Drunky McRapeface to SCOTUS to be an even more morally bankrupt decision than it appears.
As I said, anyone with the slightest sense already knows that the GOP has no room to talk about throwing out racists - and they really haven't since Barry Goldwater attracted a bunch of howling racists to their 1964 convention.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:14 AM   #101
baron
Philosopher

This kind of crap comprises half of what people seem to talk about in US politics. Here we have somebody acting immature in their youth. So ******* what? If he still does it then maybe there's an issue, otherwise, get a grip.
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:25 AM   #102
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
<snip>
As I said, anyone with the slightest sense already knows that the GOP has no room to talk about throwing out racists - and they really haven't since Barry Goldwater attracted a bunch of howling racists to their 1964 convention.
I guess by your reasoning the Democrats have even less room to talk about throwing out racists:
"...segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever..."
Democrat George Wallace in his 1963 inaugural speech as Governor of Alabama.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:43 AM   #103
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

If this was just a couple of years ago I would agree with you, but this happened over 30 years ago.
And,yes, that makes a big difference in my book.
I think the context is important, if he was dressed as a positive black celebrity or character, or even a neutral one I'd agree with you (maybe even sympathise with him). A few years back I was at a fancy dress party where there were a pair of guys, one black, one white, dressed as Vincent and Jules from Pulp Fiction, but the black guy was Vincent, in whiteface and the white guy was Jules in blackface. Post a photo of 'Jules' out of context and it would look bad, but it genuinely wasn't.

But an intentionally demeaning caricature, with that history, standing next to a guy in a klan outfit? Unless they were part of a street theatre group raising awareness of the history of racism I don't see any likely justification, it goes way beyond changing boundaries or being edgy.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:49 AM   #104
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
I guess by your reasoning the Democrats have even less room to talk about throwing out racists:
Do better, boy. Read books. Watch the news. Figure out what's happened *since* 1964.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:18 AM   #105
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone found anything that explains the context of the picture? I'm kind of curious as to what the event was and why they chose those particular costumes.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:36 AM   #106
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Mmm, I love me some Rule of So!

"Alleged" Skeptic Ginger, remember. Kavanaugh? Allegedly in high school. The governor? Medical School graduate.

By the way, I was literally jonesing for someone to bring up the drinking thing... From the good governor's Medical Yearbook:

"there are more old drunks than old doctor's in this world, so I think I'll have another beer."

Sounds like a drinking problem Skeptic Ginger!

Oh baby i knew that was going to be glorious!
Willie Nelson
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:53 AM   #107
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
"when they go low, we go high lose".

ftfy

IOKIYAR
Counterpoint...the governor doesnt exist in a vacuum. Virginia has 180k employees. This guy is in charge of many of them.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:08 AM   #108
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Have not read the entire thread, but put me on the side that thinks there should be a “statute of limitations” for youthful idiocy.

At some point, one’s “body of work” as an adult should overshadow this sort of relic from the past.

And though I did not care for Kavanough’s demeanor, I felt the same way about that fiasco.
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:35 AM   #109
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Have not read the entire thread, but put me on the side that thinks there should be a “statute of limitations” for youthful idiocy.

At some point, one’s “body of work” as an adult should overshadow this sort of relic from the past.

And though I did not care for Kavanough’s demeanor, I felt the same way about that fiasco.
Yeah, this.

Also: can anyone tell me what a 'coonman' is? Never heard it before. Southern expression? Usually if someone calls you a (blank)man, it would refer to something you really like, or were obsessed with. So....he was really into black people? Skinheads wouldn't be called a 'coonman'. I don't get it.
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:03 AM   #110
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

He also took his oath of office with his great great great grandfather’s Freedom papers in his pocket.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:03 AM   #111
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

The point about the picture is not just that he did something stupid as an adult med school graduate, not a kid, but that he selected the picture to represent himself forever in his yearbook. He wanted everyone to see him this way. This wasn't just a snapshot at a Halloween party, and 1984 wasn't ancient history. He might, maybe, have gotten away with the blackface alone if it was explained as a comic portrayal of some celebrity. But posing with the KKK, fake or not, is way beyond the pale, and anybody should have known it.

And if Kavanaugh had said, "Yes, Dr. Blasey could be telling the truth, I was a teen-age blackout drunk and it took me a long time to grow up," you might say "let bygones...." But his belligerent, confrontational denials, even his attempt to intimidate a female U.S. Senator, reveal a basic unfitness to sit on any bench, let alone the Supreme Court. And it's behavior typical of a drunk.

Last edited by Bob001; 2nd February 2019 at 07:17 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:15 AM   #112
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
If he was a Republican, he'd be called a racist for even knowing someone from that yearbook pic.

"Racist" is such a "go to" word among Democrats it will be hilarious to see how this unfolds. What's more important? Values or power? Stay tuned.
Chris B.
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:28 AM   #113
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I'll go on the record as saying that what Kavanaugh did was worse, and that Kavanaugh's job should require him to be held to a higher standard than Northam's job. I'm also happy to go on the record as saying that these incidents mean that both fall below the standards that should be set for their jobs, and that both should step down.

Happy?
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:32 AM   #114
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
When I was a kid my Mom bought me a book of Italian jokes, and I'm Italian.
When you say you're Italian do you mean that you're actually Italian, or are you doing that weird thing Americans do and saying "I'm Italian" when what they actually mean is "My great-great-great-great-uncle twice removed was Italian"?
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:53 AM   #115
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'll go on the record as saying that what Kavanaugh did was worse, and that Kavanaugh's job should require him to be held to a higher standard than Northam's job. I'm also happy to go on the record as saying that these incidents mean that both fall below the standards that should be set for their jobs, and that both should step down.

Happy?
I disagree about the higher standard. In the capacity of affecting laws, the supreme court is more important, but less affected by youthful behaviour. However, there will be a disaster in Virginia and the governor will have to ask first responders, some who are black, to step up. Kavanaugh won't have to ask anyone to trust him...he is just free to be a bastard now.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:57 AM   #116
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Did Kavanaugh admit to his actions as a teen? Did he explain how he no longer has a drinking problem.

Do you see the difference?
Yeah, your racist Governor was about a decade older and this thing actually happened.

Viva la difference!
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:03 AM   #117
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

Happy?
Except that this actually happened and the Gov was proud enough of it to stick it in his yearbook, while the claims against K were laughably fale and totally unproven.

Thanks, tho, for going "on record" tho.
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:05 AM   #118
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
I guess it was only a matter of time before someone historically-impaired showed up to shoot their mouth off.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:08 AM   #119
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Republicans are absolutely giddy over this. They couldn't beat him in the campaign with their dirty tricks, and now it turns out he may have handed them an own goal instead.
KDLarsen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:11 AM   #120
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I guess it was only a matter of time before someone historically-impaired showed up to shoot their mouth off.
What was inaccurate in the post to which you were replying??

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics