ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , Ralph Northam , Virginia politics

Reply
Old 4th February 2019, 01:44 PM   #321
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,298
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Megyn Kelly fired within 48 hours of saying this:

“What is racist? You do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface for Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Like back when I was a kid it was okay if you were dressing up as a character.”

Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silvermen and Jimmy Fallon still doing just fine, after ACTUALLY donning blackface as recently as 2007 and 2017

This double standard is confusing.

So the governor of Virginia is going to stay on board? How do the outrage experts justify this?
And Trump despite all his racist and sexist comments and actions is also "staying on board" as you say. Not sure there is a double standard. The Governor wasn't wearing blackface last week last month, last year or even in the last 3 decades.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 01:54 PM   #322
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
"Does anybody think it’s any coincidence that on the eve of potentially my being elevated that that’s when this uncorroborated smear comes out?” Fairfax told reporters in the capitol upon being asked if he thought Northam, his fellow Dem, was behind the story.

holy ****, laughing here
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 01:56 PM   #323
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,835
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Megyn Kelly fired within 48 hours of saying this:

“What is racist? You do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface for Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Like back when I was a kid it was okay if you were dressing up as a character.”

Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silvermen and Jimmy Fallon still doing just fine, after ACTUALLY donning blackface as recently as 2007 and 2017

This double standard is confusing.
Megyn Kelly was really fired for low ratings - she's simply a poor choice for a morning show host, and that was easily predictable.

And yes, comedians tasked with being outrageous for laughs are held to a different standard than governors tasked with opposing the violent white supremacism that Dolt 45 wallows in. Just like I'm held to a different standard as an engineer than my mother is as a professor in nursing. Wildly different jobs have wildly different standards.

Quote:
So the governor of Virginia is going to stay on board? How do the outrage experts justify this?
Putting aside the insult, we don't. He should resign. Fairfax is by far better equipped for the tasks at hand - standing up to violent racism, and flipping both chambers of Virginia's congress.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 02:19 PM   #324
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Putting aside the insult, we don't. He should resign. Fairfax is by far better equipped for the tasks at hand - standing up to violent racism, and flipping both chambers of Virginia's congress.
NEW: An extraordinary day turns chaotic as Fairfax suggests Northam is behind "a smear" aimed at blocking his ascent to the governorship and recounts a sexual encounter with a woman he said was "very interested in me."

-J Martin NYTimes

The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 02:26 PM   #325
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,835
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I said back in the day, not back in Northam's day. I was thinking further back than that, when it _was_ acceptable, but other things we take for granted now were not. Sorry for the confusion.
Ah, got it! And yeah, it was much more accepted if you go way back.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:06 PM   #326
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,629
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
......
Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silvermen and Jimmy Fallon still doing just fine, after ACTUALLY donning blackface as recently as 2007 and 2017
.....
The difference is that they are comedians, not public officials expected to apply the laws and public policies equally to all. Fallon in particular has a history of impersonating a lot of celebrities, including Trump. What they do and their thinking about it has no real impact on anybody else.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:09 PM   #327
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,629
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Anyone mad at the school for publishing the photos?
I'm actually surprised that nobody has contacted the editors of the yearbook, who very likely were students themselves, for their take. Whether the picture is really Northam, or somebody else's picture on the wrong page, it shouldn't have been included at all. I'm also surprised that Northam and other students didn't get a chance to approve a page proof.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:10 PM   #328
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,582
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You sure about that? I mean really sure?

I betcha you could ferret out what was fallacious about the post to which I was replying to.
Nope. I got nothing. You'll have walk me through the fallacy in saying this:

"It's probably worth pointing out that Big League Politics was founded by people who left Breitbart and the Daily Caller because those outlets were too liberal."

Cause I'm not seeing it. I mean, if it's wrong or incorrect (i.e. BLP was founded before Breitbart and the Daily Caller existed; or if BLP is actually more liberal than the others; or something else that makes that sentence incorrect) I guess that would make it fallacious. But you don't seem to want to explain what's fallacious about it so I'm having to make wild guesses like that.

Other than to say "because none of those organizations existed when he was in medical school and therefore it seems very fallacious", which I don't really understand.

Last edited by Matthew Best; 4th February 2019 at 03:12 PM.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:27 PM   #329
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Nope. I got nothing. You'll have walk me through the fallacy in saying this:

"It's probably worth pointing out that Big League Politics was founded by people who left Breitbart and the Daily Caller because those outlets were too liberal."

Cause I'm not seeing it. I mean, if it's wrong or incorrect (i.e. BLP was founded before Breitbart and the Daily Caller existed; or if BLP is actually more liberal than the others; or something else that makes that sentence incorrect) I guess that would make it fallacious. But you don't seem to want to explain what's fallacious about it so I'm having to make wild guesses like that.

Other than to say "because none of those organizations existed when he was in medical school and therefore it seems very fallacious", which I don't really understand.
What is fallacious about it of course is that the fact that actual genuine photo was released by "people who left Breitbart and the Daily Caller because those outlets were too liberal" is a grotesque red herring/ad hominem and in fact does not in any way shape of form rebut the actual racist photo. the only way it would be 'worthwhile" to note is if those entities were somehow involved in setting up the racist when he took his racist photo, for example.

Which we all know is ludicrous just like we all know that the original post was a grotesque red herring/ad hominem.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:46 PM   #330
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 48,700
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Why doesn't he just change his party to Republican? Because then he'll have an entire party and president defending him.
Oh, the Republicans would never have him. You know how some people are snobs about owning their own tux when yours is rented? They're like that about the KKK robes.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 04:11 PM   #331
WilliamSeger
Illuminator
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,535
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You sure about that? I mean really sure?

I betcha you could ferret out what was fallacious about the post to which I was replying to.

here is another hint: attacking the messenger.

I'd love to see someone who claims to know something about fallacies to take a deep dive into that post.

Regale me with your expertise.
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
What is fallacious about it of course is that the fact that actual genuine photo was released by "people who left Breitbart and the Daily Caller because those outlets were too liberal" is a grotesque red herring/ad hominem and in fact does not in any way shape of form rebut the actual racist photo. the only way it would be 'worthwhile" to note is if those entities were somehow involved in setting up the racist when he took his racist photo, for example.

Which we all know is ludicrous just like we all know that the original post was a grotesque red herring/ad hominem.

LOL, now you're just throwing words around. (Not "literally" by the way.) After reading a couple of pages of that tu quoque fallacy thread, I don't have much hope for this, but... A fallacy is a flaw in a logical argument. My "deep dive into that post" encountered no argument, but rather the same thing Matthew Best found -- an assertion of historical fact -- and if you disagree with that assertion, then you should just say what you're disagreeing with. If you think there was an implicit argument in the post, then once again, I recommend that you first identify the argument before trying to analyze it. (You could even ask something like, "So, are you saying..." to clarify the implicit argument. Really, you can do that.) Or, you could just point out a possible logical fallacy that SB might be making, e.g. "Just because they're professional ratfkers doesn't mean the story is false." Your "rebuttal" about when those organizations formed didn't make any sense at all, and now you're claiming that simply pointing out their origin story is an "attack."
__________________
"We're done! We're done! GET OUT!"
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 04:27 PM   #332
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Ah, the fallacious statement was not a fallacy.

Because our correspondent was just stating a "historical" "fact" and not making an argument.

"It's probably worth pointing out that Big League Politics was founded by people who left Breitbart and the Daily Caller because those outlets were too liberal." Historical fact? (forget it TBD, he's rolling)

Say, lets take a gander at that next level nonsense that is being peddled in this thread, shall we folks?

DEFINITION TIME!

"Red herring is a kind of fallacy that is an irrelevant topic introduced in an argument to divert the attention of listeners or readers from the original issue. In literature, this fallacy is often used in detective or suspense novels to mislead readers or characters, or to induce them to make false conclusions."

b-b-b-bu-but we was not making teh argument at all!

pointing out the "historical origins" of the entities that exposed the monstrous Democrat racist is grotesque red herring of the most basic sort. This is so obvious... just really at a loss to understand the spectacularly frivolous and silly arguments around here sometimes.

/Hoo boy, the next level nonsense I have to deal with around here

Last edited by The Big Dog; 4th February 2019 at 04:30 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 04:56 PM   #333
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 19,653
1984 -- I believe that was right around the time Eddie Murphy was doing a standup bit about gays and AIDS. "I don't like it when the girls kiss their gay friends and then they come home with AIDS on their lips!!"

Still, I'm wondering how that photo got past the yearbook approval staff. Even several years earlier I know nothing of the sort would have gotten into my high school yearbook.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 04:58 PM   #334
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,298
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Ah, the fallacious statement was not a fallacy.

Because our correspondent was just stating a "historical" "fact" and not making an argument.

"It's probably worth pointing out that Big League Politics was founded by people who left Breitbart and the Daily Caller because those outlets were too liberal." Historical fact? (forget it TBD, he's rolling)

Say, lets take a gander at that next level nonsense that is being peddled in this thread, shall we folks?

DEFINITION TIME!

"Red herring is a kind of fallacy that is an irrelevant topic introduced in an argument to divert the attention of listeners or readers from the original issue. In literature, this fallacy is often used in detective or suspense novels to mislead readers or characters, or to induce them to make false conclusions."

b-b-b-bu-but we was not making teh argument at all!

pointing out the "historical origins" of the entities that exposed the monstrous Democrat racist is grotesque red herring of the most basic sort. This is so obvious... just really at a loss to understand the spectacularly frivolous and silly arguments around here sometimes.

/Hoo boy, the next level nonsense I have to deal with around here
A false statement does not constitute a logical fallacy. Something can be true and a statement about it can still be a fallacy.

If you don't understand this, you should consider taking a class in logical reasoning.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 05:19 PM   #335
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
A false statement does not constitute a logical fallacy. Something can be true and a statement about it can still be a fallacy.

If you don't understand this, you should consider taking a class in logical reasoning.
Fortunately as i have expertly shown, here it is a fallacy, your first sentence is stated incorrectly, and yall will to take your own advice, you dig?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 05:35 PM   #336
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,341
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It was just a silly joke. A black guy (white dude in blackface) having a beer with a Klansman. There's nothing racist in that.

As for other pictures, I don't see any in that article.

This is a molehill, not a mountain.
You're assuming a lot. How does the script read from where you are? That this was a doubles act and that was their whole schtick? They spent the whole night moving from group to group to group doing their satire?

Or was this one dude dressed in blackface and another dude dressed as a Klansman and someone decided it'd make a great picture.

You don't know. You're just twisting yourself into pretzels to give the benefit of the doubt to two jackasses who, by 1984, thought it was funny to dress up in racist memes. This is second cousin to "They didn't mean no harm. Jus' a couple of good old boys havin' theyself some fun." Except that they're not making that excuse, you're making it for them.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 05:39 PM   #337
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,298
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Fortunately as i have expertly shown, here it is a fallacy, your first sentence is stated incorrectly, and yall will to take your own advice, you dig?
Sorry, you're wrong.. Something that is false is not necessarily a logical fallacy. Whether something is true or false may have nothing to do whether a fallacy is involved.

A fallacy is an improperly constructed syllogism.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 05:47 PM   #338
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 17,938
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
1984 -- I believe that was right around the time Eddie Murphy was doing a standup bit about gays and AIDS. "I don't like it when the girls kiss their gay friends and then they come home with AIDS on their lips!!"

Still, I'm wondering how that photo got past the yearbook approval staff. Even several years earlier I know nothing of the sort would have gotten into my high school yearbook.
He surely knew that was in the yearbook. It's a bit baffling how incompetent his response has been when he should have known his entire political career that this was coming. You'd think he'd have the "when picture comes out break glass" plan ready to go. He's just bouncing from one bumble **** to the next, throwing gas on the fire as he goes. How could he not have a plan for this?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 05:52 PM   #339
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,298
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He surely knew that was in the yearbook. It's a bit baffling how incompetent his response has been when he should have known his entire political career that this was coming. You'd think he'd have the "when picture comes out break glass" plan ready to go. He's just bouncing from one bumble **** to the next, throwing gas on the fire as he goes. How could he not have a plan for this?
Did he? I never remember looking at any college yearbook. If there was one, I never saw it. And this was 35 years ago. Didn't he have a medical career. And lots of things happened since. I think you are making an assumption that may not be valid.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 05:53 PM   #340
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,826
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He surely knew that was in the yearbook. It's a bit baffling how incompetent his response has been when he should have known his entire political career that this was coming. You'd think he'd have the "when picture comes out break glass" plan ready to go. He's just bouncing from one bumble **** to the next, throwing gas on the fire as he goes. How could he not have a plan for this?
Considering how common it was at the school he went to, he might have thought everybody did it. So there was need for a response, not realizing what a bizarre racist anachronism he was engaging in.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 05:57 PM   #341
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,812
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
How do the outrage experts justify this?
Well it's your straw man. You tell me what he's saying.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 05:58 PM   #342
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 81,370
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Ah, got it! And yeah, it was much more accepted if you go way back.
Woah. I clarified my comment and my interlocutor actually understood it! What witchcraft is this?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 06:09 PM   #343
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,298
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Considering how common it was at the school he went to, he might have thought everybody did it. So there was need for a response, not realizing what a bizarre racist anachronism he was engaging in.
I really think he may not even thought about it in 25 years. Memories fade and get jumbled. I've seen way too many memory experiments to say what somebody should or shouldn't have remembered.

Now if the Governor bought and kept the yearbook and looked it 100 times, he has no excuse.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 06:15 PM   #344
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,019
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The difference is that they are comedians, not public officials expected to apply the laws and public policies equally to all. Fallon in particular has a history of impersonating a lot of celebrities, including Trump. What they do and their thinking about it has no real impact on anybody else.
Even comedians it can go over badly. Ted Danson's blackface bit with did not go over well. But again, not a political representative.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 06:31 PM   #345
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,288
The lieutenant governor was the source for the original story as he was trying to get the governor out of the way so he could take over but now the tables have been turned
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 06:51 PM   #346
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 81,370
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You're assuming a lot. How does the script read from where you are? That this was a doubles act and that was their whole schtick? They spent the whole night moving from group to group to group doing their satire?

Or was this one dude dressed in blackface and another dude dressed as a Klansman and someone decided it'd make a great picture.

You don't know. You're just twisting yourself into pretzels to give the benefit of the doubt to two jackasses who, by 1984, thought it was funny to dress up in racist memes.
Yeah, imagine that. Giving the benefit of the doubt in the absence of clear evidence. What kind of a crazy idiot would do that?

You're right. We should jump right to conclusions instead and interpret in the worst possible light. That'll get our collective outrage going and we can all have a nice feeling of belonging to the right "side".

You don't know either. You're assuming it was racist because you've become conditioned to see certain things as racist. That's twisting yourself into pretzels. You just can't accept that anyone would have a different opinion. Par for the course here, I guess.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward



Last edited by Belz...; 4th February 2019 at 06:53 PM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 07:17 PM   #347
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,341
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah, imagine that. Giving the benefit of the doubt in the absence of clear evidence. What kind of a crazy idiot would do that?

You're right. We should jump right to conclusions instead and interpret in the worst possible light. That'll get our collective outrage going and we can all have a nice feeling of belonging to the right "side".

You don't know either. You're assuming it was racist because you've become conditioned to see certain things as racist. That's twisting yourself into pretzels. You just can't accept that anyone would have a different opinion. Par for the course here, I guess.
No.

You should simply not jump to conclusions, especially made-up conclusions. I'm not assuming it was racist. You can win the internets if you show me where I said that. I'm assuming it's tone deaf to think that someone who grew up in Virginia in the 60s and 70s was not aware that this was no longer a thing one did. See, I'm not making that judgement, you are. You are offering a hypothetical as to his possible motivation when there's no evidence at all. I'm offering what should be a pretty blatant fact by now... at minimum this was grossly insensitive.

My problem is not with the stupid act, although I don't buy into the "just a kid" since he was 26. My problem is with his immediate reaction being to just do the crocodile tears "that's not the me that I've become" routine, then walk that back with a ridiculous "oops, I thought this was about that time I put shoe polish on my face to portray the whitest black man in America".
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 07:19 PM   #348
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
A false statement does not constitute a logical fallacy. Something can be true and a statement about it can still be a fallacy.

If you don't understand this, you should consider taking a class in logical reasoning.
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Sorry, you're wrong.. Something that is false is not necessarily a logical fallacy. Whether something is true or false may have nothing to do whether a fallacy is involved.

A fallacy is an improperly constructed syllogism.
face palm.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 08:08 PM   #349
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,629
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
.....
My problem is not with the stupid act, although I don't buy into the "just a kid" since he was 26. My problem is with his immediate reaction being to just do the crocodile tears "that's not the me that I've become" routine, then walk that back with a ridiculous "oops, I thought this was about that time I put shoe polish on my face to portray the whitest black man in America".
At this point it doesn't really matter what he actually did. The reality is that he cannot function effectively as governor for the next 3+ years. He has to go away.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 08:13 PM   #350
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 48,700
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
At this point it doesn't really matter what he actually did. The reality is that he cannot function effectively as governor for the next 3+ years. He has to go away.
Yeah, the "I'm not a racist, I'm just incredibly stupid!" defense isn't really a great argument for why he should stay in power.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 08:49 PM   #351
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,161
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You don't know. You're just twisting yourself into pretzels to give the benefit of the doubt to two jackasses who, by 1984, thought it was funny to dress up in racist memes. This is second cousin to "They didn't mean no harm. Jus' a couple of good old boys havin' theyself some fun." Except that they're not making that excuse, you're making it for them.
Exactly this. Besides the minimization going on in this thread, there is mild apologetics, and liberal use of the Nirvana Fallacy for good measure. Also, I wonder if the downplayers really realize how condescending it is to have a bunch of white people telling black folks to just get over it; this little bit of racism is fine in our public elected leaders 'cause looky over there and see how much worse those guys are!

I sincerely hope that no one ever wonders why our country and "leaders" are rocketing to the bottom especially with the rather odd way of not holding... well... anyone really... to any standards of decency.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 08:50 PM   #352
The_Animus
Illuminator
 
The_Animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,031
Related but slightly off topic question. I can understand many contexts in which blackface is inappropriate/racist such as the KKK picture that started this or any instance where it is done to demean, or denigrate black people or the struggles they've had to face.

The only instance where I personally wouldn't consider it racist is if someone respected or admired someone and wanted to go all out to look as much like them as possible for a costume party or cosplay or something along those lines. However, I know that many feel this is still racist. Could someone who feels this way explain their perspective. I apologize if this has already been covered in this thread, but I really didn't want to read through 10 pages to find out.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 09:00 PM   #353
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,298
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Exactly this. Besides the minimization going on in this thread, there is mild apologetics, and liberal use of the Nirvana Fallacy for good measure. Also, I wonder if the downplayers really realize how condescending it is to have a bunch of white people telling black folks to just get over it; this little bit of racism is fine in our public elected leaders 'cause looky over there and see how much worse those guys are!

I sincerely hope that no one ever wonders why our country and "leaders" are rocketing to the bottom especially with the rather odd way of not holding... well... anyone really... to any standards of decency.
I'm not telling ANYONE to get over it. People have to decide for themselves. I, speaking for myself just have a problem judging a person 35 years post hoc for such a mistake. But I'm NOT a person of color or a citizen of Virginia.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 09:10 PM   #354
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,812
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm not telling ANYONE to get over it. People have to decide for themselves. I, speaking for myself just have a problem judging a person 35 years post hoc for such a mistake. But I'm NOT a person of color or a citizen of Virginia.
Forgiveness isn't a time bomb that eventually goes off on its own. It must first be requested. Northam was requesting it, then he changed his mind. If he doesn't want it, then he doesn't deserve it.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 09:11 PM   #355
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 7,491
Just spitballing for context on the getups pictured: could these have been worn to a party either themed as or prizes for 'Most Outrageous' or 'Most Tasteless' costumes? Trying to picture how these could have gotten past the yearbook editors without some kind of justification, crass though it may have been.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 09:25 PM   #356
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,298
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Forgiveness isn't a time bomb that eventually goes off on its own. It must first be requested. Northam was requesting it, then he changed his mind. If he doesn't want it, then he doesn't deserve it.
35 years later he shouldn't have to require forgiveness IMV. But as I said, thats an individual perspective.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 09:57 PM   #357
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,629
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Just spitballing for context on the getups pictured: could these have been worn to a party either themed as or prizes for 'Most Outrageous' or 'Most Tasteless' costumes? Trying to picture how these could have gotten past the yearbook editors without some kind of justification, crass though it may have been.
If there had been some kind of "Dumbass Moments" section in the yearbook, with descriptive captions, that might -- maybe -- have worked. But this ran on the guy's personal page, without any explanation. Even if it was intended for somebody else's page, it shouldn't have been in the book at all.

And the focus on the "blackface" is a distraction. The KKK costume is what's horrifying. There are no circumstances in which America's oldest domestic terrorists can be treated as a laughing matter.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 03:28 AM   #358
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24,123
Blimey. You'd have thought that someone who's been as clearly and openly critical of Northam as I have been in this thread wouldn't be accused of trying to distract from accusations against Northam, but here we are.

Once more, for the record - I think Northam should be impeached. I think he should be removed from office. I don't buy the excuses some are making for him, and I think that his behaviour since the photo came to light has only made the case for removing him stronger.

And just to reiterate, as I have to do every now and then for the hard of thinking - I'm not partisan. I do not favour Democrats over Republicans. One contributing factor to this - I'm not American. I belong to neither party, and neither party means anything to me. Nobody discussed in this subforum represents me, or is someone I have any kind of emotional attachment to - because I'm not American. And, frankly, I come from a country in which the default behaviour is to distrust, criticise, and mock politicians. The reverence with which some Americans regard politicians on their "side" seems very odd to me, and a little creepy. And, given that it leads to the kind of thoughtless god-worship of Trump that exists (and nonsense platitudes like that people should "respect the office of President" even if they don't respect the person), I think it's also dangerous.

Oh, and, if you read what I posted and what I posted it in reply to, and think really, really hard (you know, until it hurts), it should be possible to work out that it had absolutely nothing to do with any photo at all. Give it a try! It's fun!
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 5th February 2019 at 03:33 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:38 AM   #359
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,719
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
And just to reiterate, as I have to do every now and then for the hard of thinking - I'm not partisan. I do not favour Democrats over Republicans. One contributing factor to this - I'm not American. I belong to neither party, and neither party means anything to me. Nobody discussed in this subforum represents me, or is someone I have any kind of emotional attachment to - because I'm not American.
No, but you live in reality, which has a well-documented liberal bias.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:16 AM   #360
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 81,370
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
No.

You should simply not jump to conclusions, especially made-up conclusions.
FMW, that was my point. By offering alternative possibilities, I'm not saying that those possibilities MUST be true. I'm saying that the previously stated possibility is not necessarily true. Is that clearer?

Quote:
I'm not assuming it was racist. You can win the internets if you show me where I said that.
I didn't say you said it. I opined that you thought it. Obviously it's speculation, since I'm not in your head.

Think about it this way: if someone drew a black man and a KKK member having coffee together, as a sort of newspaper cartoon about whatever, would that be racist? Not necessarily, eh? Maybe they have a point to make, or are just making a funny (in their mind) juxtaposition, etc. The bit that bothers you is the blackface, but even that isn't necessarily meant as some sort of attack on black people. Maybe it's tone deaf, sure, but that's not the same thing as being racist.

Quote:
My problem is not with the stupid act, although I don't buy into the "just a kid" since he was 26. My problem is with his immediate reaction being to just do the crocodile tears "that's not the me that I've become" routine, then walk that back with a ridiculous "oops, I thought this was about that time I put shoe polish on my face to portray the whitest black man in America".
Oh, I agree with that. It doesn't look good for him at all.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.