ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Will you be watching tonight's SOTU
Yes, and applauding Trump. 3 3.95%
Yes, and shouting "You Lie!" 4 5.26%
Yes, and keeping an open mind. 2 2.63%
Not just no, but "Hell, No!" 56 73.68%
International member, it won't be on my TV 8 10.53%
On Planet X, it's Hillary giving the speech. 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th February 2019, 09:40 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Will you be watching tonights SOTU.

Well, will you?
Old 5th February 2019, 09:41 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 09:43 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No. Honestly everything said will be summed up online damn near in real time with everybody's opinions on it. Actually watching it would just be frustrating.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How the heck did I get responses before the poll even posted? Oh, well.
Old 5th February 2019, 09:49 AM   #5
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Hell No! Listening to that lying POS? Surely ye jest. I'll read about his lies afterward.
Old 5th February 2019, 09:51 AM   #6
carrps
Thinker

Hey, I immediately guessed right as to who the one 'yes' vote was!
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 09:53 AM   #7
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Yeah, I got me one of those clicker things to count lies.

But I'm not shouting, I need to keep an accurate count.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 09:53 AM   #8
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Will he mention blankets in the desert? Women with tape over their mouths? Leprosy and smallpox? Witch hunt? If so, will it be off script?
Old 5th February 2019, 09:58 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump campaign: Send us $1 and we'll scroll your name during State of the Union live stream

Link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...xY0h34HNjX6yNs
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:00 AM   #10
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post

You should have a separate clicker to keep track of the sniffing to see if he lies or sniffs more.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:03 AM   #11
ahhell
Master Poster

The State of the Union Address hasn't been anything but a political/campaign speech in my life time, it probably was never anything than that. Also, anyone who thinks this SOTUS is somehow more of the president grandstanding than previous presidents, that's just silly. Honestly, congress is stupid for letting the president do this in the first place. Why give him a bigger pulpit from which to bully them? I will not watch nor listen to it, there' not even any reason to read or listen to any commentary on it, that will be just as dumb. We should go back to the president sending over a letter instead.

I'd would go for a British style questions for the prime minister thing but that would just be congress grand standing instead of the president, which would be even dumber.

Last edited by ahhell; 5th February 2019 at 10:06 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

There was no option for just no, so I voted for the hell no. Anything interesting will be covered the next day. Maybe the next week.

A bit like the super bowl. I didn't have to waste 4 hours to find out it was a boring game. That one highlight reel of Edelman the next morning was fine.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:17 AM   #13
Mumbles
Philosopher

The SOTU, at best, is an obnoxious display of theatrics. Even when it was Obama, it's a speech that goes on for far too long, mostly due to either half of congress, or all of congress, standing and applauding every few sentences. And then the response is some person standing there alone, which is a poor contrast even the speaker does well. Better to read it.

Of course, Cheeto Benito has two speech modes. First, bigoted rant, or second, unskilled teleprompter reader. I expect the second to show up tonight, at which point some pundits will still talk about how well he did, and he'll return to his usual lying, ignorance, and bigotry 1-3 days later. I'll just read a few stories on it, no need to read the full speech.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:18 AM   #14
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post

Ha! My sister said yesterday she said she wanted Nancy Pelosi to have one of those "nun clickers" during the SOTU.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:19 AM   #15
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

I'll catch the highlights by the media. I trust they will continue to cover all things Trump in a fair and unbiased way lacking any prejudice or vindictiveness.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:42 AM   #16
Drewbot
Philosopher

I just hope they don't try and pull a Weekend at Bernies type stunt with RBG.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:42 AM   #17
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Also, anyone who thinks this SOTUS is somehow more of the president grandstanding than previous presidents, that's just silly.
For most of history, the executive branch didn't have quite as many avenues to make the case for the President's policies and their effects. You can call it grandstanding and I'm sure there was always an element, but there's some period of time where the SOTU was potentially informative.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:43 AM   #18
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

There is no need. He won't say anything that won't have been recycled from his tweets. It might be be better written, but no different in content.

It it will likely be near entirely false.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:43 AM   #19
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It should go without saying the SOTU reliably amounts to tired, bullet-point rhetoric, to be viewed for laughs, metadata, and/or as a sleep aid. Even the extraordinary BS that flows from Trump -- how many whoppers will he tell? -- has lost some luster.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:46 AM   #20
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
How the heck did I get responses before the poll even posted? Oh, well.
Same way dead voters keep voting.

re: OP: will watch. Maybe see a car wreck on the street first and miss it, tho
Old 5th February 2019, 10:48 AM   #21
Drewbot
Philosopher

Seriously though, If i'm playing Minecraft, I won't even remember to turn it on.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:48 AM   #22
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump campaign: Send us $1 and we'll scroll your name during State of the Union live stream

Really expected that to be a Rickroll.

But no. It was real.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:49 AM   #23
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
There is no need. He won't say anything that won't have been recycled from his tweets.
The one wild card I could imagine is if he goes ahead and declares his temper tantrum national emergency.
Old 5th February 2019, 11:08 AM   #24
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

But no. It was real.

It's from last year.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 11:09 AM   #25
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

The Planet X choice was tempting, but everyone knows Hillary’s locked up there.
Old 5th February 2019, 11:11 AM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

But no. It was real.
As pointed out in the general Trump thread, it's also from a year ago.
Old 5th February 2019, 11:12 AM   #27
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Not a chance. I would end up shattering my 65" tv with all the things I would throw at him.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 11:15 AM   #28
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's from last year.
You linear-time types are sooooo judgy
Old 5th February 2019, 11:19 AM   #29
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Nope. I (at least partially) have a life. I almost never watch the SOTU as I think it is silly, but I'll admit I'd probably watch it tonight if I had nothing else going on. It should be interesting.
Old 5th February 2019, 11:25 AM   #30
wasapi
Philosopher

I'll watch. It is like seeing an accident or someone else train wreck, and you watch through fingers in front of your eyes, but can't seem to look away
Old 5th February 2019, 11:27 AM   #31
portlandatheist
Illuminator

I have to feed my goldfish
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 11:28 AM   #32
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Haven't watched one yet no need to start now
Old 5th February 2019, 11:39 AM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
There was no option for just no, so I voted for the hell no.
Yeah, the options did seem pretty lopsided. Would have been nice to have a "no, but keeping an open mind" option.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 11:50 AM   #34
attempt5001
Critical Thinker

I was looking for a just "no" as well. I'm an international (or at least non-American) member, but could still find it on TV if I was inclined to do so.
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 12:48 PM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I have to take my dog in to be rotated. Every three years or ten thousand miles.
Old 5th February 2019, 12:52 PM   #36
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

What is SOTU?
Old 5th February 2019, 12:54 PM   #37
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What is SOTU?
Shut Our Trump Up
Old 5th February 2019, 12:59 PM   #38
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
For most of history, the executive branch didn't have quite as many avenues to make the case for the President's policies and their effects. You can call it grandstanding and I'm sure there was always an element, but there's some period of time where the SOTU was potentially informative.
Yes, before they started broadcasting them, which I think was Woodrow Wilson.
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What is SOTU?
State of the Union address.

The US constitution requires the president report to congress from time to time on the state of the union. Prior to the 20th century it was sometimes a letter and sometimes a speech but in the 20th it started being a speech broadcast to everyone that could here, at which point it stopped being about the state of the Union and became a list of the presidents priorities.

Wilson started that with radio.
I think it was Johnson that first did televison
Reagan started having sad sacks sit behind him so he could try and guilt congress into funding his pet projects.

And now we have the annual tradition of BS.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 01:15 PM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

No. Honestly everything said will be summed up online damn near in real time with everybody's opinions on it. Actually watching it would just be frustrating.
In fact, everything will probably be summarised before the damn thing even begins.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:01 PM   #40
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'll watch if I remember.

I'd rather see the whole thing myself rather than rely on anyones take on it later and have my opinion fed to me. I'd like to skip the applause though, so maybe I'll watch an edited version. Maybe nobody will applaud?

I can predict much of the speech and most of the reactions. When is that not the case though? I usually watch it regardless of who is in office.

How about just a "yes" and "no" answer in the just slightly lopsided poll? "Yes, but I'll be keeping an open mind?"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics