ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Will you be watching tonight's SOTU
Yes, and applauding Trump. 3 3.95%
Yes, and shouting "You Lie!" 4 5.26%
Yes, and keeping an open mind. 2 2.63%
Not just no, but "Hell, No!" 56 73.68%
International member, it won't be on my TV 8 10.53%
On Planet X, it's Hillary giving the speech. 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th February 2019, 02:06 PM   #41
Cain
Straussian

In fairness, I never watch it.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:08 PM   #42
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Yes, before they started broadcasting them, which I think was Woodrow Wilson.
I'd say it's been a sliding scale.

People still fault the Obama administration for not doing a good enough job explaining their policy to the American people and a significant chunk of the US still substantially misunderstands the ACA among many other things.

At this point, the white house tweets directly to the public and policy is so dumbed down that, to the extent that it's consistent or deliberate, we all already know what it is and what it does. But I think we've really just slid fully into that with this administration.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:14 PM   #43
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Hello no.

I thought it was tomorrow.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:21 PM   #44
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Will he mention blankets in the desert? Women with tape over their mouths? Leprosy and smallpox? Witch hunt? If so, will it be off script?
I like watching to detect exactly when he goes off-teleprompter, even by the word. It's classic when he makes the little interjections like "That's important!" (seems like it's the first time he's read it) or adds (and repeats) an adjective. Usually accompanied by taking his eyes off the prompter, and the only time he will use a hand-gesture. When he has to read, he can't generate enough brain-power to use his hands at the same time.

I wonder, is he going to refer to the recent Virginia governor's picture hubbub? If so, I predict he will inflate it and contemporize it -- "Democrats are appearing in blackface!"

Last edited by alfaniner; 5th February 2019 at 03:00 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:59 PM   #45
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
In fairness, I never watch it.
X 2.

Lewis Black
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 03:21 PM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

One good thing about the Trump presidency is that it seems to have sparked some bipartisan interest in returning to the send-a-letter convention. Hopefully this sticks.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 03:36 PM   #47
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
One good thing about the Trump presidency is that it seems to have sparked some bipartisan interest in returning to the send-a-letter convention. Hopefully this sticks.

I'd like to advocate for a new tradition, of walking in, holding up a big sign that just says "We're ******", and then walking out.
Old 5th February 2019, 03:57 PM   #48
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

If Trump's words actually meant anything, I might watch. But he's proven: 1) he can vaguely stay on script when talking to a mixed political audience; and 2) nothing he says at any given point have a damn thing to do with whatever action he eventually lands on.

Also, it I hear him conflate stopping terrorists at the border with illegal entry from non-ports from Mexico, I'm going to punch my TV through the wall.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:02 PM   #49
The Big Dog

we were going to have a MAGA watching party but the storm is putting the kibosh on that.

Instead I will hammering frosties and live tweeting about it.

Y'all skeptics keep on "Not just no, but "Hell, No!"ing!

Have a MAGAnificent night.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:10 PM   #50
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'd like to advocate for a new tradition, of walking in, holding up a big sign that just says "We're ******", and then walking out.
And I for one am sick and tired of this chicken little bull ****. He's a bad president, not Ah Pook the Destroyer. At some point you need to put him on the back burner, where he belongs, and re-learn how to live your life apart from politics.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:21 PM   #51
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You linear-time types are sooooo judgy
Old 5th February 2019, 04:29 PM   #52
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I have to feed my goldfish

I have to walk my goldfish.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:29 PM   #53
eerok
Quixoticist

Every time Trump opens his yap I'm embarrassed for the USA.
Old 5th February 2019, 04:37 PM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Every time Trump opens his yap I'm embarrassed for the USA.
If only you'd told us this before the election!
Old 5th February 2019, 04:44 PM   #55
eerok
Quixoticist

If only you'd told us this before the election!
I'd have shouted from the rooftops had I known Putin's game.
Old 5th February 2019, 04:45 PM   #56
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I watched GWB's SOTU in 2002. I watched a couple of Obama's. I'll make a point of not watching Trump's. I've gotten to the point where I find him very annoying. On the same level with the used car dealer who used to dress up in costumes and shout, "Unbeatable value! Unmatchable prices! Do I have it all? YES I DO!!!" (I think eventually he lost his business after he was indicted for tampering with odometers.)

Of course, the used car dealer didn't have a nuclear launch toy.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:48 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'd have shouted from the rooftops had I known Putin's game.
Cool story, bro. So what's your embarrassment worth now?

Other than a "look at me" and a wet fart in a high wind, I mean?
Old 5th February 2019, 04:52 PM   #58
eerok
Quixoticist

Cool story, bro. So what's your embarrassment worth now?

Other than a "look at me" and a wet fart in a high wind, I mean?
What's your embarrassment worth now? He's your president. Attacking me doesn't make him any less of a narcissistic jackass.
Old 5th February 2019, 04:58 PM   #59
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Shut Our Trump Up

I read as tonight's STFO (Shut The **** Op) on first glance.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:58 PM   #60
Stacyhs
Philosopher

No, I won't watch. Exposure to his orange face, pursed little mouth spewing crap and his pudgy little hand gestures for more than a minute or two make be nauseated. I'll get the highlights later in small doses that I can stomach. And on the cold opening on SNL.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:00 PM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What's your embarrassment worth now? He's your president. Attacking me doesn't make him any less of a narcissistic jackass.
I mean, there's a presidential election coming up in a couple years. I need to know how many people are going to be embarrassed for us if we elect The Wrong Guy.
Old 5th February 2019, 05:06 PM   #62
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

When Donny speaks, it reminds me of a really bad stand-up comic who has long ago lost his audience but hasn't changed his shtick. Same old same old, not the least bit funny, boring AF, get the hell off the stage.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:07 PM   #63
Venom
Master Poster

Not giving President Incompetent any of my time.

SOTU address is almost always propaganda and feel-good punchlines anyway, so I just tune in for the juicy bits in the follow morning's reviews.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:12 PM   #64
eerok
Quixoticist

I mean, there's a presidential election coming up in a couple years. I need to know how many people are going to be embarrassed for us if we elect The Wrong Guy.
I hope the wrong person will not be elected again. This time was pretty bad, and people do learn. Do you hope for something less?

In any case, we're talking about the SOTU address. If Trump stays on script, he'll be boring and unconvincing. If he speaks his mind, he'll be stupid and appalling. Welcome to your president, for as long as he avoids prison.

Last edited by eerok; 5th February 2019 at 05:13 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:18 PM   #65
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I never listen to what Trump says. He's lied so much that listening to him is like checking to see if the spoiled milk from yesterday is still spoiled. What value could its words possibly have? I'll watch the news tomorrow morning when I'm on the rowing machine so I can see his failures and where he fell short. Listening to it speak though is just not worth the effort.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:19 PM   #66
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

There are only two says I'd watch it, both based on hilarious videos I've seen online recently:

1. A version with an accordion added between his hands and accordion-squish noises added every time he flaps his hands

2. Dubbed by the guy who does the voice of Zapp Brannigan
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:25 PM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I never listen to what Trump says. He's lied so much that listening to him is like checking to see if the spoiled milk from yesterday is still spoiled.
I bet you swallowed "grab them by the pussy" hook, line, and sinker, though, didn't you?
Old 5th February 2019, 05:38 PM   #68
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I try to wait it out until I can get the full text before watching the spin doctors go to work and then, lastly, I watch the speech itself if there's anything in there that's Tee-Vee-Worthy. Watching a stooge read a speech that he will reverse himself on within 72 (if not 12) hours is not entertaining.

If the Dems would agree to laugh uproariously at every running-for-office statement he makes, it might be worth it.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 06:07 PM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post

"They thought Kif here was the statesman and I was a jabbering mental patient!" --Zapp Brannigan
Old 5th February 2019, 06:14 PM   #70
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The one wild card I could imagine is if he goes ahead and declares his temper tantrum national emergency.
He might or he just might declare he is going to govern the nation by decree using a series of 'National Emergencies'.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 06:26 PM   #71
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ooo, Nature's Spy Cam is on at the same time, a new episode. Those are so good. This one's on animal intelligence. I want to see what the squirrel does with the nut-cam he takes from the spy-cam squirrel.
Old 5th February 2019, 06:35 PM   #72
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Just pictured Trump wearing Zapp’s tunic. Damn you.

(Watching with an open mind and now, the comedy.)

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 07:02 PM   #73
Thermal
Philosopher

Live time reporting: the President has arrived. He does not appear more presidential than usual
Old 5th February 2019, 07:10 PM   #74
Thermal
Philosopher

Hey, Buzz Aldrin is there. He's cool
Old 5th February 2019, 07:11 PM   #75
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Live time reporting: the President has arrived. He does not appear more presidential than usual
So he is just as unpresidential as ever?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 07:11 PM   #76
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Ha! "The Young Turks" is showing it but also doing live response along with it. I wonder what that will be like...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmfoqUZGZc
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 07:12 PM   #77
Thermal
Philosopher

Half the audience claps a lot. AOC does not
Old 5th February 2019, 07:12 PM   #78
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Akhck, eight seconds in and already two sniffles! I'm done.
Old 5th February 2019, 07:13 PM   #79
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

There are only two says I'd watch it, both based on hilarious videos I've seen online recently:

1. A version with an accordion added between his hands and accordion-squish noises added every time he flaps his hands

There are four parts.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 07:15 PM   #80
Thermal
Philosopher

*opens tab on laptop. finds cute cat video*

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics