ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Will you be watching tonight's SOTU
Yes, and applauding Trump. 3 3.95%
Yes, and shouting "You Lie!" 4 5.26%
Yes, and keeping an open mind. 2 2.63%
Not just no, but "Hell, No!" 56 73.68%
International member, it won't be on my TV 8 10.53%
On Planet X, it's Hillary giving the speech. 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th February 2019, 07:37 AM   #161
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm glad you say "a" low point, rather than "the" low point, because that was definitely the self-congratulatory "USA! USA" chants for reaching a slightly less high level of inequality than previously, while remaining behind every other first world country and nearly 100 other countries on that metric. Even leaving aside the question of whether a government should actually be chanting at itself like it's a football match, that's still just plain embarrassing.
That chant sure didn't help promote the decorum of the venue.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 07:37 AM   #162
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Pelosi's childish antics, including shuffling pages, juvenile clapping and constantly swishing her poor fitting dentures around her maw were a low point for the State of the Union address.

Case in point
From a Donald Gob leshh the You-nighted Shayshhhh Trump fanboi? ROFLMAO!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 07:38 AM   #163
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
From a Donald Gob leshh the You-nighted Shayshhhh Trump fanboi? ROFLMAO!
You must be mistaken. TBD is a Bernie supporter.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 07:44 AM   #164
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You must be mistaken. TBD is a Bernie supporter.
Oh, yes, I keep forgetting that what with his constant impersonations of Trump's colostomy bag. ROFLMAO!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 07:57 AM   #165
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That chant sure didn't help promote the decorum of the venue.
The president is a clown built out of orange turds. Decorum has long since left the realm of the possible for American government.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:01 AM   #166
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Sighs* Libs... Dems... you're doing it again.

"OH MAN did YOU SEE how PELOSI totes just StRAIGHT OWNED Trump by... sarcastically clapping at him behind his back?" is all over my Facebook feed and a goddamn front page article on CNN.

Please stop creaming yourself as if you've impeached the jackass every time Pelosi holds the door for him but lets it shut at the last minute.

Trump's running the country further and further into the ground and you guys just keep trying to craft a "Lookit us winning" narrative out of meaningless symbolic nothing.

Old 6th February 2019, 08:04 AM   #167
Thermal
Philosopher

*The First Lady reflects on her life choices, evidenced by her expression*
Old 6th February 2019, 08:05 AM   #168
Belz...
Fiend God

As a child sleeps and another is possibly dying of brain cancer.

The point of the image being?

Old 6th February 2019, 08:17 AM   #169
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The president is a clown built out of orange turds. Decorum has long since left the realm of the possible for American government.
Funny you should bring this up. Perhaps a poll is in order because I was independently entertaining the notion that he's an orange made out of clown turds.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 08:18 AM   #170
angrysoba
Philosophile

Wow! If she's dying of brain cancer she is probably thinking, "I don't have many hours left and I'm sitting here listening to this crap?"

Old 6th February 2019, 08:19 AM   #171
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I read it as an editorial comment on Joe's act wearing thin.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 08:20 AM   #172
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Funny you should bring this up. Perhaps a poll is in order because I was independently entertaining the notion that he's an orange made out of clown turds.
I thought he was a turd made out of orange clowns?

Old 6th February 2019, 08:21 AM   #173
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

At a certain point Dems the lower you bring down Trump the more questions arise as to why you have so much trouble beating him at literally anything that's not purely symbolic.

The "orange turd" has gotten his way pretty much 100% of the time for about two and a half years now and all the Dem's victories over him have been gonna happen "any day now, seriously we mean it this time" for almost as long.

Yeah it's because of shady underhanded politics but here's the thing... you're in politics. Dealing with the other sides' shady underhandedness comes with the job. At a certain point arguing the "The other side only keeps winning because of the politics" when you're in politics is like arguing the other team only won the race because they have a better car, driver, and pit crew.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th February 2019 at 08:31 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 08:21 AM   #174
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I read it as an editorial comment on Joe's act wearing thin.
Well, Joe's not wrong. And I doubt it's an act.

But yeah, I get why it can be grating to be told that one has to stop being so partisan and make things happen when one's goal is to continue to be partisan rather than make things happen.

Old 6th February 2019, 08:23 AM   #175
Drewbot
Philosopher

I thought it was a solid state of the union speech.

The INF treaty withdrawal is a step in the right direction.

It seemed no different than every other SOTU speech in that the President's party stands often, and the other party doesn't. I don't see why anyone would make a big deal about this.

He bragged about his accomplishments, he brought up things he wants to do next. Pretty standard.

I saw a couple segues that seemed a bit off, probably due to not pausing at a period.

He looked fit, not fat, much better than that one in the oval office a few weeks ago.

He made a few off prompter ad libs, not enough to get him in trouble though.

He seemed to be talking slower than most SOTU speeches, but I could be wrong on that.

I like it better when he brings people like Buzz Aldrin, WW2 Vets, Cancer Survivors in, instead of Bill Clinton's assault victims.

Didn't watch the end, I went to play Minecraft at the end, after the Venezuela comments.

I found some more diamonds.

Went into the nether.

How long did the speech go after the Venezuela comments?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 08:28 AM   #176
The Big Dog

The left is literally in shambles, the key takeaway from the night for them is a mumblemouthed loser clapping at the President.

Great night for Trump, the GOP, America, and people who think Mean Girls is kewl I guess.

Nice going children
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 08:30 AM   #177
Belz...
Fiend God

The left is literally in shambles

Sure thing, Dog.

Old 6th February 2019, 08:32 AM   #178
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah but they've got to tell themselves that everytime I try to take the discussion anywhere practical instead of an endless circle jerk of "ORANGE MAN BAD!"

Treating Trump like a joke is how we got Trump. I don't see how it's gonna defeat him.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 08:36 AM   #179
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yeah but they've got to tell themselves that everytime I try to take the discussion anywhere practical instead of an endless circle jerk of "ORANGE MAN BAD!"

Treating Trump like a joke is how we got Trump. I don't see how it's gonna defeat him.
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was an internet message board, not the HQ of your political action force that's going to bring down a president. Do let us know what we're allowed to talk about, it'll keep your campaign focused.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:38 AM   #180
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It was funny when he briefly reverted to Reality TV, and said that something was going to happen (meeting w/Kim?) on a particular date "the 15th or 16th", in a speech where one expects grand visions.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:38 AM   #181
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Since I'm the person who brought the clapping up and posted the gif, I feel I ought to once again reiterate - I'm not a Democrat. Neither am I part of "the left".

Mean Girls is cool, though.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:40 AM   #182
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was an internet message board, not the HQ of your political action force that's going to bring down a president. Do let us know what we're allowed to talk about, it'll keep your campaign focused.
I'm just saying it's kind of hard to weave the "Trump is the greatest threat to democracy we've ever seen, he's an unstoppable monster who wants to end women's rights, set up death camps, start nuclear wars with Russia, China, North Korea and the Ottoman Empire, and end this country and the world as we know it let's start mercy killing the young children to spare the horror" narrative with the tone of how everyone wants to discuss it.

We're supposedly discussing the new Hitler but we're doing it on the level of the Star Wars fans arguing about Laura Dern's Tumblrhair. There's some ludonarrative dissonance in there is all I'm saying. It's like saying "Kilroy was Here" stopped the Nazis. We're not going to meme Trump to death.

At a certain point "Oh we're just doing it for the catharsis" no longer rings true.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th February 2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:43 AM   #183
angrysoba
Philosophile

I'm just saying it's kind of hard to weave the "Trump is the greatest threat to democracy we've ever seen, he's an unstoppable monster who wants to end women's rights, set up death camps, start nuclear wars with Russia, China, North Korea and the Ottoman Empire, and end this country and the world as we know it let's start mercy killing the young children to spare the horror" narrative with the tone of how everyone wants to discuss it.
Oh, he's nowhere near competent enough for that kind of thing. The guy is an open book and a moron. If he ends the world it will probably just be an accident.

Old 6th February 2019, 08:47 AM   #184
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

We're supposedly discussing the new Hitler but we're doing it on the level of the Star Wars fans arguing about Laura Dern's Tumblrhair. There's some ludonarrative dissonance in there is all I'm saying. It's like saying "Kilroy was Here" stopped the Nazis. We're not going to meme Trump to death.

At a certain point "Oh we're just doing it for the catharsis" no longer rings true.
Perhaps some chillaxation is advisable. Things aren't that bad. Politics are not the whole of existence. And you can always derive cheer from remembering your own mortality and that one day the inexorable grip of the grave will claim you, rendering your every thought and deed totally pointless anyway.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:49 AM   #185
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I think Mueller and the NY Attorney General's office are the biggest threats to Trump. I don't think anything anybody here says will have the slightest effect on him whatsoever.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:50 AM   #186
Thermal
Philosopher

The left is literally in shambles, the key takeaway from the night for them is a mumblemouthed loser clapping at the President.

Great night for Trump, the GOP, America, and people who think Mean Girls is kewl I guess.

Nice going children
The President had the opportunity to stand and deliver. He chose to be a predictable snoozer. Can you really blame anyone for looking around for something else interesting?
Old 6th February 2019, 08:54 AM   #187
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

But it's not the same people...
TM is not Travis, even though neither of them likes the current president all too much.
Seems like you're just lumping people into two 'sides' based on one thing they have in common and then complain about tribalism and how inconsistent the 'tribes' are when one supposed tribe member wants to murder children to spare them a life under Trump, and another cracks jokes.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #188
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Perhaps some chillaxation is advisable. Things aren't that bad. Politics are not the whole of existence. And you can always derive cheer from remembering your own mortality and that one day the inexorable grip of the grave will claim you, rendering your every thought and deed totally pointless anyway.
*Shrugs* Fair cop. Maybe it's just a generational thing. I might just be a few too many years on the side of grey to click with the ability of the younger generation to discuss serious topics in what amounts to social media speak.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:58 AM   #189
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Oh, he's nowhere near competent enough for that kind of thing. The guy is an open book and a moron. If he ends the world it will probably just be an accident.

On another forum, the initial reaction after the election was an anxious "Oh God, what's he going to do?!?" It quickly transformed into an exasperated "Oh God, what's he done now?" when the competency level of him and his administration became evident.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 09:08 AM   #190
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
On another forum, the initial reaction after the election was an anxious "Oh God, what's he going to do?!?" It quickly transformed into an exasperated "Oh God, what's he done now?" when the competency level of him and his administration became evident.
Yep.

Not so much trying to figure out Lex Luthor's next plot; more like worrying about leaving Goofy alone in the kitchen with a gas-stove, a gun-rack, and a cellar of TNT.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 09:19 AM   #191
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Nice going children
Like all SOTUs, the summary could have been written in advance: platitudes, tired bullet points, and drivel. Except with Trump it's worse, because the drivel is on steroids, the sanctimony is on steroids, the lies and misrepresentations are abundant, and taking him seriously on any particular talking point is akin to taking jello seriously.

I literally think that you don't fully comprehend the definition of the word "literal".
Old 6th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #192
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

But yeah, I get why it can be grating to be told that one has to stop being so partisan and make things happen when one's goal is to continue to be partisan rather than make things happen.

Do you wanna guess which poster wrote the following about the Gillette advert?

Quote:
First of us, no we don't. Second, even if we do, we don't need the reminder every waking moment of our lives. And no, it's not just this one ad. There is a concerted effort to tell us a number of things that, while true and probably positive, become preachy by their nature, frequency and ubiquity. At some point, even a positive message becomes a bad one when people stop listening. No one likes being preached to.
Why is a preachy Gillette advert any more annoying than preachy posts by Belz and Joe Morgue? It would seem to be personal taste/preference. Unlike you, though, I won't insinuate that you're only annoyed by the Gillette advert because you're a do-nothing who only posts opinions on an obscure forum on the periphery of the internet.

I don't have to justify my political activism to anyone. The insinuation that this is all anyone does, post on the ISF, is based on what?

Old 6th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #193
Steve
Illuminator

Nice going children
The hilite seems strange coming from a self-declared Bernie Sanders supporter.

It also seems strange coming from an American. There is no "left" in mainstream US politics. There is the far right and the near right. In most of the rest of the world's democratic countries the US democrats would be the right wing party.
Old 6th February 2019, 09:34 AM   #194
The Big Dog

Does this blue pill swallowing anti-American "leader" say "You're a disgrace" "It's a disgrace" or "watch your ass"?

Thoughts?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 09:36 AM   #195
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
POLL STUNNER - 70% of respondents to a Fox News poll think people earning over $10 million should pay a marginal tax rate of 70%. ( https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox...estic-spending ). A bit more important than a few Trump supporters saying they like him in general.
Why is that stunning? People in favor of others paying more taxes doesn’t stun me.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 09:37 AM   #196
Thermal
Philosopher

Does this blue pill swallowing anti-American "leader" say "You're a disgrace" "It's a disgrace" or "watch your ass"?

Thoughts?
Yup. Who cares?
Old 6th February 2019, 09:39 AM   #197
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Yup. Who cares?
I do.

No thoughts about the disgraceful conduct of the "mean girls" last night?

If not, no need to bother to pollute the thread about how one does not care, n'est-ce pas??
Old 6th February 2019, 09:49 AM   #198
Thermal
Philosopher

I do.

No thoughts about the disgraceful conduct of the "mean girls" last night?

If not, no need to bother to pollute the thread about how one does not care, n'est-ce pas??
Mais non. It's fair game to call out a red herring.

I watched the SOTU. Boring and predictable, and I wish I could reclaim that wasted time. The only bigger waste would be commenting on silly sidebars as if they were serious issues. But that's your new low, so:

The leader you cite could just as easily have been saying 'wash your hands' as plausibly as 'watch your ass'. And with as much relevance. Neither makes much sense. Madame Speaker's smarmy clapping style is not particularly interesting, although more interesting than the predictable SOTU speech.

And should you choose to opine on polluting the thread, I would direct you to your body of work. But please, go on. The perspective of a self-proclaimed Sen Sanders supporter is valued input. It's not like every word is dishonest, or anything.
Old 6th February 2019, 09:50 AM   #199
The Big Dog

Damn, our President killed it

Blow out poll numbers
Old 6th February 2019, 09:51 AM   #200
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Mais non. It's fair game to call out a red herring.
Well, it would have been had you, ya know, done that, which you didn't.

Well we have a vote for "wash your hands."

Thanks, scintillating

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics