ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Will you be watching tonight's SOTU
Yes, and applauding Trump. 3 3.95%
Yes, and shouting "You Lie!" 4 5.26%
Yes, and keeping an open mind. 2 2.63%
Not just no, but "Hell, No!" 56 73.68%
International member, it won't be on my TV 8 10.53%
On Planet X, it's Hillary giving the speech. 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th February 2019, 09:54 AM   #201
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Damn, our President killed it

Blow out poll numbers
LMAO. Just because people will tune into to see a train wreck hardly means he "killed it".
Old 6th February 2019, 10:00 AM   #202
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And even beyond that positive reaction to one speech is, at best, a tenuous link to overall popularity of a person.

I still think Kevin Spacey was awesome in Se7en and Usual Suspects. That doesn't change my overall opinion of him.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 10:00 AM   #203
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Do you wanna guess which poster wrote the following about the Gillette advert?
Wasn't that me? It sounds like me. Gosh, is my voice really so nasal?

Quote:
Why is a preachy Gillette advert any more annoying than preachy posts by Belz and Joe Morgue?
Ok that's fair. Though accusing the population of an obscure forum of being partisan -- which, I note, is true -- isn't quite like accusing men in general of being rape enablers.

Quote:
It would seem to be personal taste/preference. Unlike you, though, I won't insinuate that you're only annoyed by the Gillette advert because you're a do-nothing who only posts opinions on an obscure forum on the periphery of the internet.
Hey, that wouldn't be far from the truth, actually.

Quote:
I don't have to justify my political activism to anyone.
I think what we're doing here is the exact opposite of political activism. It's political posturing.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 10:04 AM   #204
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I do.

No thoughts about the disgraceful conduct of the "mean girls" last night?

If not, no need to bother to pollute the thread about how one does not care, n'est-ce pas??
Wait, do you think Regina George is the hero of Mean Girls?
Old 6th February 2019, 10:07 AM   #205
Thermal
Philosopher

Well, it would have been had you, ya know, done that, which you didn't.
If not, then you think the significance of the SOTU is the reactions of the Representatives? I guess it packs more whallop than the words of the President, then. Have it your way.

Quote:
Well we have a vote for "wash your hands."

Thanks, scintillating
I didn't vote for it. I opine that her lips could have been read to say that as easily as anything else. Refer to 'dishonesty' comment, above. Or bearing false witness, at your discretion.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:08 AM   #206
Belz...
Fiend God

Blow out poll numbers
Do you think everybody who follows Trump on Twitter is a fan of him?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 10:10 AM   #207
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I didn't vote for it. I opine that her lips could have been read to say that as easily as anything else. Refer to 'dishonesty' comment, above. Or bearing false witness, at your discretion.
Anybody who knows about the "Bad Lip Reading" series of Youtube videos knows that you can make people say a ton of stupid stuff if you don't include the original sound track.

Old 6th February 2019, 10:12 AM   #208
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

wait, you were lying about that too, like you were lying about not caring?

That makes sense, because there was no way that nasty comment was wash you hands, it makes sense that you were lying about it given the context.

seems pretty clear that the comment was "That's a disgrace," from the bully to the person clapping not just for the comment, the president, but for the United States of America.

hashtag: #meangirlbulliessuck
Old 6th February 2019, 10:19 AM   #209
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

At least this thread is informational! I now know what comes out when someone operates a keyboard while deeply embedded in Trump's anal cavity.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:23 AM   #210
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay after watching a few highlights.

- Okay the moment where they sang "Happy Birthday" to the 81 year old Holocaust survivor was nice, all politics aside.

- The cheering Trump got from the (mostly from what I can gather Democrat) female Congresspeople when he noted the record high number of women in Congress was... conceptually nice. You have to take it as a moment separated from Trump and all the history and baggage that comes along with him but as a moment it was nice. And for one brief, flickering fraction of a moment Trump almost, almost had a human reaction to it.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 10:25 AM   #211
Thermal
Philosopher

wait, you were lying about that too, like you were lying about not caring?
I don't care, as I said. I also said that if you are dragging any discussion down to this level, then here we are. We go as low as you take us.

Quote:
That makes sense, because there was no way that nasty comment was wash you hands, it makes sense that you were lying about it given the context.
Come on, this is your B-game parody posting. Liven it up for the peanut gallery, wontcha?

'Wash your hands' would make perfect sense. Clapping for the President might be construed as dirty, so 'wash your hands' could be an offhand comment that clapping was distasteful.

But you just cant stop, can you?

Quote:
seems pretty clear that the comment was "That's a disgrace," from the bully to the person clapping not just for the comment, the president, but for the United States of America.
That's funny. You had her saying 'watch your ass' earlier. Need to jot some notes to keep your story straight?

Quote:
hashtag: #meangirlbulliessucklyingsucks
FTFY
Old 6th February 2019, 10:26 AM   #212
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

- Okay the moment where they sang "Happy Birthday" to the 81 year old Holocaust survivor was nice, all politics aside.

- The cheering Trump got from the (mostly from what I can gather Democrat) female Congresspeople when he noted the record high number of women in Congress was... conceptually nice. You have to take it as a moment separated from Trump and all the history and baggage that comes along with him but as a moment it was nice. And for one brief, flickering fraction of a moment Trump almost, almost had a human reaction to it.
Agreed
Old 6th February 2019, 10:27 AM   #213
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I don't care, as I said.
cool, cool.... say, how many posts should I be expecting you to regale us with tales of how you don't care?

Want to block out some of my schedule....
Old 6th February 2019, 10:29 AM   #214
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Anybody who knows about the "Bad Lip Reading" series of Youtube videos knows that you can make people say a ton of stupid stuff if you don't include the original sound track.
Trump should watch out for seagulls.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:30 AM   #215
Thermal
Philosopher

cool, cool.... say, how many posts should I be expecting you to regale us with tales of how you don't care?

Want to block out some of my schedule....
The issue, I don't care about. The issue you are creating ITT is somewhat interesting, from the pathologically dishonest conservative reaction point of view.

And keep snipping out the comments when you are called on dishonesty. Says more than all your postings combined.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:31 AM   #216
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And even beyond that positive reaction to one speech is, at best, a tenuous link to overall popularity of a person.

I still think Kevin Spacey was awesome in Se7en and Usual Suspects. That doesn't change my overall opinion of him.
I KNOW Spacey. He hit on a straight friend of mine. He is an awful human being. But I still liked him in just about every performance. Personal favorite of mine was Buddy Ackerman in Swimming with Sharks.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:33 AM   #217
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I KNOW Spacey. He hit on a straight friend of mine. He is an awful human being. But I still liked him in just about every performance. Personal favorite of mine was Buddy Ackerman in Swimming with Sharks.
Yeah so by TBD logic if you poll me and you about Kevin Spacey playing John Doe in Se7en and gets two thumbs up, we've given Kevin Spacey the person a "High approval rating."
Old 6th February 2019, 10:34 AM   #218
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The issue, I don't care about. The issue you are creating ITT is somewhat interesting, from the pathologically dishonest conservative reaction point of view.

And keep snipping out the comments when you are called on dishonesty. Says more than all your postings combined.
So, more? cool, cool, cool....

By the way, I am on the record that the style of posting that slices up my well written posts into tiny little cherry picked bits and contains snarky little asides in "reply" is not a game that the big dog abides.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:35 AM   #219
Belz...
Fiend God

Agreed.

Almost.

Old 6th February 2019, 10:36 AM   #220
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Trump should watch out for seagulls.
Although to be fair, this was their easiest work, given that Yoda's lips are... well, easy to misread.

Old 6th February 2019, 10:37 AM   #221
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah so by TBD logic if you poll me and you about Kevin Spacey playing John Doe in Se7en and gets two thumbs up, we've given Kevin Spacey the person a "High approval rating."
Oh baby, that is the good "so" stuff right there.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:37 AM   #222
Belz...
Fiend God

Some people just can't distinguish things.

Old 6th February 2019, 10:38 AM   #223
Belz...
Fiend God

As much as you've fallen in love with some words, you appear to be allergic to others, regardless if their context fits your phobia or not.

Old 6th February 2019, 10:42 AM   #224
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I swear the day you first encountered that made up rule that doesn't actually exist must have been the best day of your life.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:43 AM   #225
Armitage72
Master Poster

I remember this coming up in the past during discussions of Mueller. It's impossible to have different opinions of different things that someone has done at different times. The human brain just can't do that. You can only have one opinion of someone, ever.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 10:44 AM   #226
Belz...
Fiend God

I swear the day you first encountered that made up rule that doesn't actually exist must have been the best day of your life.
"Oh, dear! Something I can use to completely dismiss arguments that are inconvenient to me! I think this calls for at least 16.5 ounces of alcohol!"

Old 6th February 2019, 10:52 AM   #227
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Bluepilled democrat Congressnut at the SOTU tells a high school junior that he should be afraid of her:

Hi @TheCJPearson, I'm not "the woman sitting next to her". @AOC and I -- and millions like us -- are the future of this country. And you're right to be afraid of us.

These people have lost their minds....
Old 6th February 2019, 10:54 AM   #228
Belz...
Fiend God

Bluepilled democrat
Oh, is that this month's new expression?

Quote:
Congressnut at the SOTU tells a high school junior that he should be afraid of her:

Hi @TheCJPearson, I'm not "the woman sitting next to her". @AOC and I -- and millions like us -- are the future of this country. And you're right to be afraid of us.

These people have lost their minds....
As usual, you're constructing your own narrative, presumably still with yourself as the main character.

Old 6th February 2019, 10:58 AM   #229
Thermal
Philosopher

Oh, is that this month's new expression?
*Thermal's liver begins twitching*
Old 6th February 2019, 11:48 AM   #230
sackett
Philosopher

In all honesty, I haven't owned a TV since the days of Gerald Ford. So by invoking the Dread Rule of So, I voted "not no, but hell no" with serenity. Maybe even boredom.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 11:53 AM   #231
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
In all honesty, I haven't owned a TV since the days of Gerald Ford. So by invoking the Dread Rule of So, I voted "not no, but hell no" with serenity. Maybe even boredom.
That is not the Rule of so, and they have the internet on computers now where one can "live stream" things check it out.
Old 6th February 2019, 11:54 AM   #232
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
In all honesty, I haven't owned a TV since the days of Gerald Ford.
Is your lack of TV related to Gerald Ford? Was he providing you with television, then stopped? Or did you only ever have a TV to watch him, and felt no need without? Or did Jimmy Carter confiscate your TV, after long threatening to do so, and only the benevolent presence of Ford had been stopping him? I'm curious about how this played out.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:15 PM   #233
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
While she was at this show, I was finding out that her top health policy adviser promised some corporate backers that "Democrats would be allies to the insurance industry in the fight against single-payer health care". I don't care what her clap looked like.
Also: source?
That was meant to be linked to the text in quotation marks in the first place. I had it open in the other tab, cut it, & apparently didn't paste it.

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/05/...icare-for-all/
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 12:26 PM   #234
Belz...
Fiend God

That is not the Rule of so
Progress.

Old 6th February 2019, 12:28 PM   #235
Belz...
Fiend God

That was meant to be linked to the text in quotation marks in the first place. I had it open in the other tab, cut it, & apparently didn't paste it.

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/05/...icare-for-all/
Do we have data about American opinion on Medicare for all? I'd like to test one of the reasons they give in the article.

Old 6th February 2019, 12:36 PM   #236
jeremyp
Muse

Killed what? Democracy? The American Dream?
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 12:49 PM   #237
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Tiffany Trump looking pretty hawt in white as well. I often wonder if she is not on board with her dad's policies and positions. She seems to be the daughter they don't talk about.
Quite possible. Maybe she wore white as a kind of under-the-table dig at her family.

On the other hand, she did speak at the Republican convention in favor of her father back in 2016 (and that was after a long campaign when Trump's racism and other policies were well on display). So, its also possible that her wearing white was either accidental (not knowing that the Democratic women were planning on wearing white), or something tone-deaf (i.e. thinking "women wearing white? I'll join in. Oh, its only for people who don't support bigotry? Ooops, my mistake.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 12:52 PM   #238
8enotto
Critical Thinker

The part of the orange utan blithering that was stressed here was the wall stuff.

Walls are effective and can work he said.

Sure, with proper staffing and such.
Then when sports came next I flipped to another channel airing a night vision video of a coyote with two big ladders helping a group of folks go over the wall at a leisurely pace. Two went south with the ladders and the rest north. Not sure where the guy with the camera went.
Tunnels are another basic technology well practiced along the border.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 12:59 PM   #239
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

While she was at this show, I was finding out that her top health policy adviser promised some corporate backers that "Democrats would be allies to the insurance industry in the fight against single-payer health care". I don't care what her clap looked like.
You know the ACA is not single payer and insurance companies are part of the equation, right?

We can't even get the ACA established. Bernie couldn't even win the Democratic Primary and no, it was not because anything was rigged.

Regardless of which side one is on, some Democrats are taking the practical route: change is slow, you have to go one step at a time. The GOP is already trying to frame the left as socialists and we don't need to help them do that.
Old 6th February 2019, 01:02 PM   #240
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Source?
It's been all over the news with the caveat the poll is of people that watched the address, i.e. people who are more inclined to support Trump.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics