ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anne-Marie Brady , China issues , New Zealand politics

Old 6th February 2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Ranb
Philosopher

Researcher Harassed by China in NZ

I found this article while reading RationalWiki.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia...28-p50u1n.html
Quote:
She gave evidence by video link to two committees keen to know about, among other things, her groundbreaking research into the Chinese Communist Party's activities in Antarctica in the course of producing her book China as a Polar Great Power. This is a vital interest for Australia, which has sovereignty over 42 per cent of the continent, as well as a vital area for NZ. And it turns out to be an area of very lively interest to China's military too, as Brady's research had unearthed. Her work uncovered, for instance, that the Chinese People's Liberation Army had built three military facilities on Australian Antarctic territory.
Quote:
After a quarter-century of researching China, Anne-Marie Brady is a veteran of Chinese government spying and harassment. "I was prepared for pressure in China," says the 52-year-old New Zealander, a well-regarded professor of political science at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch. "But I always felt safe in New Zealand. So that changed." Last week she wrote to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern seeking police protection. It was her first direct appeal to Ardern, but her third in a series of pleas to escalating levels of officialdom.
It is difficult to get police protection in NZ? Who is it normally afforded to?

Quote:
In November, Brady's car was tampered with. The NZ police treated the matter with familiar indifference and told the mechanic not to speak to the media.
This seems wrong unless the police are actively investigating and don't want publicity to affect the case.

Another earlier story seems to contradict the above link regarding NZ police attitudes towards the case.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12125210
Quote:
"It was a psychological operation, it was intended to intimidate," she said.
Brady was pleased with the police's handling of her case.
"They looked seriously into all possibilities - exhaustively. This must surely be one of New Zealand's longest and best-resourced burglary inquiries."
Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
It is difficult to get police protection in NZ? Who is it normally afforded to?
24/7 police protection or what? I'm pretty sure there must be clear, credible and direct threat to someones life and health for police protection, in any significant capacity, in most countries. I would be surprised if they got any police protection merely because they suffered non-physical and non-threatening harassment.

Quote:
This seems wrong unless the police are actively investigating and don't want publicity to affect the case.
If another state and its agents are actually actively harassing a national or resident person I'm almost certain that the national counterintelligence agencies would be on top of it and not the normal police.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:50 PM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I found this article while reading RationalWiki.
Colour me surprised to find an American raising this subject - it's hard enough to find anyone here who knows about it.

And there's a link to an Aussie paper to prove my point. A few NZ papers carried that story, but there's been very little effort put in by Kiwi journalists. This piece appeared in the Herald a couple of weeks ago, in the Lifestyle (think tiny houses and staining wooden decks) section, of all things: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle...ectid=12187109

NZ has a long and proud history of helping China avoid bad publicity. From schoolboys being manhandled away from routes the Chinese Premier took to allowing his bodyguards to assault a sitting Member of Parliament on NZ's own Parliament grounds, we suck up to China like an industrial vacuum cleaner.

Note that second link isn't from a Kiwi paper. 20 years ago - the 1st link - they were still reporting that kind of action. This explains what's going on in the press: https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2019/01/t...barrassed.html

It is difficult to get police protection in NZ?
I'd go with "impossible" rather than "difficult". We don't do police protection much in NZ. Even our Prime Ministers are readily accessible, with only a single bodyguard near them when they're out. As recently as 2008 you could be having a coffee in The Terrace, in Wellington and see then PM Helen Clark wander in for a cuppa.

I've never heard of any private individual having police protection in NZ.

Another earlier story seems to contradict the above link regarding NZ police attitudes towards the case.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12125210

Ranb
I have no doubt the cops are taking it fairly seriously - they don't like political interference. Trouble is, the evidence is extremely limited. As you'd expect, China's security forces aren't silly enough to leave much in the way of clues.

The response by China has been fairly low-key and somewhat sneaky. There was an editorial in a recent Chinese-language paper in Auckland that described Anne-Marie and her pals as "anti-Chinese sons of bitches who should leave the country".

I'm already on China's unfriendly list for joining Falun Dafa protests outside their embassy, and "harassing"* people entering, so I'm not too fussed about being highly critical of them.

*Their word, not mine.
Old 7th February 2019, 01:40 PM   #4
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Colour me surprised to find an American raising this subject - it's hard enough to find anyone here who knows about it.
Some of the links on Rationalwiki have that "WTF?" quality to them. This was one of them.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ration...n_the_world%3F
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 05:31 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Some of the links on Rationalwiki have that "WTF?" quality to them. This was one of them.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ration...n_the_world%3F
That's just linking to the main Wigo:World page. Did you mean a specific article; or the one in the OP?
Old 7th February 2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Ranb
Philosopher

The link in the original post was on the Rationalwiki page I linked to in post #4. It's about a third of the way down the page.
Old 7th February 2019, 09:47 PM   #7
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

China is flexing it's muscles globally. Australia would know exactly what is going on but we currently depend on China for a huge percentage of our exports. So, let's just pretend for now that nothing is going on.

In the meantime, source of massive number of organ transplants in China unaccounted for in medical studies.

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/...rom%20%251%24s

Also, China announces it will take Taiwan by force.

Australian citizen arrested in China for political reasons. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.n...ticle/10774238
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 7th February 2019 at 09:54 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 11:05 AM   #8
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
China is flexing it's muscles globally. Australia would know exactly what is going on but we currently depend on China for a huge percentage of our exports. So, let's just pretend for now that nothing is going on.
Damn right. It keeps the subject off where all that lovely black stuff Aussie drags out the ground ends up.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
In the meantime, source of massive number of organ transplants in China unaccounted for in medical studies.
Those Uighurs, man. It's part of their religion to donate body parts, and hey, all those guys executed for not toeing the party line signed organ donation forms before they were shot in the head.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:38 PM   #9
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ok, China has officially got pissed off at New Zealand - and you could hardly blame them, given the support they've given us by way of free trade and tourism.

In the past couple of weeks:

A full Air NZ plane getting halfway to China before being denied permission to land for incomplete paperwork. Air NZ has taken pains to apologise to passengers, and claimed it's all their fault. Fact is, when this kind of extremely minor mistake happened in the past, China was happy to let the paperwork be fixed after or during the flight.

Jacinda had a scheduled trip to China to meet senior officials up to Xi himself. Cancelled by China.

NZ officials had worked with Chinese to create a "Year of Chinese Tourism", which was to be launched with great fanfare at the official museum of NZ. China has pulled out.

NZ salmon shipments (shades of Norway's spat with China) have been inexplicably delayed at Chinese ports. That'll cause a stink.

The National Party (without presenting any evidence) claims that it has five ministers awaiting clearance to travel to China. Given National's close links to China, if true, this will be an administrative blunder at the Chinese end. They'd be extremely happy to see a Judith Collins-led National Government. It's also noticeable that dairy is having no export problems, and since 99.99% of farmers vote National, it fits the scenario.

Most disturbingly for out gigantic tourism industry, the China People's Daily has come out pretty staunchly against wasting your money travelling to NZ.

Originally Posted by The Chinese Bloke*
Is it a kind of robbery? New Zealand stabbed us in the back but asks for our money? This is double-faced.
China is taking no chances on what the problem is, using an extensive ad budget to tell Kiwis what they want: https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/natio...-s-5g-decision

*an entire carton of chocolate fish to anyone who gets that

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics