ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th February 2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Belz...
Fiend God

The Trump Presidency 13: The (James) Baker's Dozen

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Democrats are so self righteous and ANGRY! Loosen up and have some fun. The Country is doing well!

Mod Info Continued from here
Posted By:kmortis

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by kmortis; 11th February 2019 at 10:49 AM.
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:31 AM   #2
Doubt
Philosopher

Trump lied and said auto manufacturers are "already moving factories back to the United States".

Reuters reports.

Since the start of the year GM alone has closed four US factories and laid off 4,500 workers.

Instead they invested $3 BILLION in factories in Brazil.
There was a very small grain of truth in Trumps previous claims. But of course that bit of truth had nothing to do with him.

I used to work for American Axle for a few years. American Axle was originally a part of General Motors. GM decided to start making some axles for themselves again. This was a known plan at least 2 years before Trump was elected. American Axle would lose some of that business in Mexico and the new GM axles would be made in Grand Rapids Michigan. The loss for American Axle was not a large one and GM remains their biggest customer in Mexico and world wide.

The actual switch happened after Trump was elected. To make up for that American Axle went after more business from Ford, Chrysler, and Nissan and ended up needing more capacity since the new business in Mexico outweighed the loss of work pulled back into GM. Trump claimed credit for the move to the US for GM that he had nothing to do with.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:18 AM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump Tweets

The Democrats are so self righteous and ANGRY! Loosen up and have some fun. The Country is doing well!

Trump Tweets

Will be heading to El Paso very soon. Big speech on Border Security and much else tonight. Tremendous crowd! See you later!
I have to wonder if the doc prescribed some new "happy" meds after The PDJT's annual physical exam yesterday.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:25 AM   #4
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Quote:
Trump Tweets
Is it just me or does that sound like a regrettable pickup line pitched to a feminist?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:33 AM   #5
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Is it just me or does that sound like a regrettable pickup line pitched to a feminist?
“The state of the Union is shagadelic Baby!!”
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:47 AM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Democrats are having a few setbacks, and Trump is going on the offensive.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:50 AM   #7
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

The country is doing well! But not too well. Please still be terrified of brown people from the south!
Old 11th February 2019, 12:08 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Strenght Through Joy......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:09 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The country is doing well! But not too well. Please still be terrified of brown people from the south!
Country might be doing well, but Democracy is not....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:10 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

His El Paso speech is going to one huge pander to his White Nationalist base.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:20 PM   #11
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump Tweets

He's right.

I mean, so what if you're a middle class taxpayer who will see their tax bill rise within the next decade (to levels hire than they were under Obama) as parts of the republican tax cuts expire?

And so what if you're one of the ~4 million americans who are now without Health care coverage due in part to actions by the Trump administration? After all, what could go wrong?

And so what if you're a woman who's reproduction rights will now be decided upon by a guy who "likes beer"?

I mean, none of those are reasons to be upset. It should be a 24 hour party.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:22 PM   #12
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

President Trump says he works more hours than all previous presidents. That might true; but it is not necessarily a good thing. Previous presidents might have spent an hour or two understanding the intricacies of a complex issue. If Trump spends 12 hours on the same subject but comes away with less understanding, then he is working longer hours.

That is a hypothetical. A kooky one, in fact. Trump would never spend 12 hours trying to understand something.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
President Trump says he works more hours than all previous presidents. That might true; but it is not necessarily a good thing. Previous presidents might have spent an hour or two understanding the intricacies of a complex issue. If Trump spends 12 hours on the same subject but comes away with less understanding, then he is working longer hours.

That is a hypothetical. A kooky one, in fact. Trump would never spend 12 hours trying to understand something.
He wouldn't spend 12 seconds trying to understand something. No need, in fact -- his guts are enough.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:38 PM   #14
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

OK, I can't see this thread and had to come to it from the old one. I'm guessing the official first person is on my ignore list.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:40 PM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Trump 52% approval jolts Washington!
Best in Years - Drudge Report
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:49 PM   #16
carlitos
"más divertido"

From realclearpolitics, that 52% is a Rassmussen Reports poll among likely voters. That +5 approve / disapprove is definitely an outlier. The more inclusive registered voter, or just all Americans are much more negative towards the President, resulting in an average spread of -11.8 approve / disapprove.

President Trump Job Approval
Job Approval on Economy | Job Approval on Foreign Policy | Congressional Job Approval | Direction of the Country
Polling Data
Poll
Date
Sample
Approve
Disapprove
Spread
RCP Average
1/24 - 2/10
--
Rasmussen Reports
2/6 - 2/10
1500 LV
+5
The Hill/HarrisX
2/7 - 2/8
1002 RV
Economist/YouGov
2/2 - 2/5
1294 RV
Reuters/Ipsos
1/30 - 2/5
2470 A
Politico/Morning Consult
2/1 - 2/2
1993 RV
CNN
1/30 - 2/2
RV
Quinnipiac
1/25 - 1/28
1004 RV
IBD/TIPP
1/24 - 2/1
905 A
Monmouth
1/25 - 1/27
735 RV

Last edited by carlitos; 11th February 2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: nvm - i can't fix the formatting.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:56 PM   #17
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So Trump's schedule was leaked, showing that he shows an extensive amount in what is labeled unstructured "executive time" (Basically believed to be time Trump spends watching TV, tweeting, and other similar activities.)

Trump claims "I'm really working hard".

Chief of staff Mulvaney claimed they were going to find the leaker.

And in response? A second leak showing pretty much what the first leak showed.

From: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...me/2832329002/
Just hours after White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney declared that he expected to identify the staffer who leaked President Donald Trump's personal schedule to the news media within the week, new copies of the president's schedule were published online.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:58 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

Rasmussen poll, via Breitbart and Daily Mail probably, echoed by Fox. That's who Trump listens to exclusively.

Here's FiveThirtyEight, 55% disapproval.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:29 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
From realclearpolitics, that 52% is a Rassmussen Reports poll among likely voters. That +5 approve / disapprove is definitely an outlier. The more inclusive registered voter, or just all Americans are much more negative towards the President, resulting in an average spread of -11.8 approve / disapprove.

President Trump Job Approval
Job Approval on Economy | Job Approval on Foreign Policy | Congressional Job Approval | Direction of the Country
Polling Data
Poll
Date
Sample
Approve
Disapprove
Spread
RCP Average
1/24 - 2/10
--
Rasmussen Reports
2/6 - 2/10
1500 LV
+5
The Hill/HarrisX
2/7 - 2/8
1002 RV
Economist/YouGov
2/2 - 2/5
1294 RV
Reuters/Ipsos
1/30 - 2/5
2470 A
Politico/Morning Consult
2/1 - 2/2
1993 RV
CNN
1/30 - 2/2
RV
Quinnipiac
1/25 - 1/28
1004 RV
IBD/TIPP
1/24 - 2/1
905 A
Monmouth
1/25 - 1/27
735 RV
When I first saw that Trump Tweet, I thought "He's gotta be talking about a Rasmussan poll".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:31 PM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Even beyond all that even within his own context he's bragging that "A very little more than half" of Americans approve of him.

I mean sure... yay you I guess.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:34 PM   #21
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Quote:
Trump Tweets
Rasmussen poll, via Breitbart and Daily Mail probably, echoed by Fox. That's who Trump listens to exclusively.
The other thing that's amazing... even if the Rasmussen poll were accurate, you're still talking about only a 52% approval rating. Yeah, that's a majority, but its a verrrry small majority. Even Obama managed to get approval ratings in the 60s on Rasmussen. Yet Trump is stuck way down in the low 50s.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th February 2019, 01:36 PM   #22
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

Here's FiveThirtyEight, 55% disapproval.
The really odd thing is how his approval has improved since the shutdown stopped.

Nate Silver did predict that though.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 02:51 PM   #23
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
The really odd thing is how his approval has improved since the shutdown stopped.
I don't really think that's odd at all. His typical supporters aren't very smart, and probably have memory spans similar to that of a goldfish. They will soon forget whatever problems occurred as a result of the shutdown.

I think the bigger challenge will happen further into tax season, when more and more people find their income tax refunds are smaller than they were last year. (Note: Much of that is due to problems calculating the amount to take off on each pay check, but it should still affect Trump's popularity.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th February 2019, 03:37 PM   #24
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I don't really think that's odd at all. His typical supporters aren't very smart, and probably have memory spans similar to that of a goldfish. They will soon forget whatever problems occurred as a result of the shutdown.

I think the bigger challenge will happen further into tax season, when more and more people find their income tax refunds are smaller than they were last year. (Note: Much of that is due to problems calculating the amount to take off on each pay check, but it should still affect Trump's popularity.)

As it turns out mine is about the same as always, even with the withholding being lower. I promised it to Moebob for a car but even she expected it to be lower due to the tax bill. Must be right in the sweet spot, still I'd rather the bill wasn't passed.
Old 11th February 2019, 03:53 PM   #25
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Quote:
As it turns out mine is about the same as always, even with the withholding being lower. I promised it to Moebob for a car but even she expected it to be lower due to the tax bill. Must be right in the sweet spot, still I'd rather the bill wasn't passed.
That will probably be even more the case in a few years when the personal tax cuts expire and your tax rates climb back up.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th February 2019, 04:01 PM   #26
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

That will probably be even more the case in a few years when the personal tax cuts expire and your tax rates climb back up.
Nope, can't be any more the case as I was already well aware of the expiration of the personal but not corporate cuts when it was enacted.

What good does a voter bribe do if they don't need to vote for you to keep the bribe coming?
Old 11th February 2019, 04:08 PM   #27
newyorkguy
Philosopher

And the Republicon-artists can then blame it on whatever Dem is in the White House post-2020.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:15 PM   #28
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

40 years of corruption. 40 years of repression. 40 years of terror. The regime in Iran has produced only #40YearsofFailure. The long-suffering Iranian people deserve a much brighter future.

۴۰ سال فساد. ۴۰ سال سرکوب. ۴۰ سال ترور. رژیم ایران فقط موجب #چهل_سال_شکست شده است. مردم ایران که مدتهاست در رنجند شایسته آینده روشن تری هستند

(Translates as)
40 years of corruption. 40 years of repression. 40 years of terror. The Iranian regime is just spurred #چهل_سال_شکست a trend that the people of Iran. "in the future are more deserving have clear

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 11th February 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:15 PM   #29
Cabbage
Muse

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Nate Silver did predict that though.
Don't forget there's also the expected boost from the SOTU.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:17 PM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Coal is an important part of our electricity generation mix and @TVAnews should give serious consideration to all factors before voting to close viable power plants, like Paradise #3 in Kentucky!
Old 11th February 2019, 04:18 PM   #31
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Trump has 'pinned' this tweet.
It is always at the top of his feed.
Old 11th February 2019, 04:34 PM   #32
Tero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Is his prostate acting up again? He has not been happy since he pulled out of Stormy.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:40 PM   #33
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Interestingly, goldfish actually have reasonably good memory spans. Even snails can be taught very simple lessons that they will retain for some time. So Trump's base has a memory span worse than a goldfish, and even than a snail. Sheesh.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:47 PM   #34
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

40 years of corruption. 40 years of repression. 40 years of terror. The regime in Iran has produced only #40YearsofFailure. The long-suffering Iranian people deserve a much brighter future.

۴۰ سال فساد. ۴۰ سال سرکوب. ۴۰ سال ترور. رژیم ایران فقط موجب #چهل_سال_شکست شده است. مردم ایران که مدتهاست در رنجند شایسته آینده روشن تری هستند

(Translates as)
40 years of corruption. 40 years of repression. 40 years of terror. The Iranian regime is just spurred #چهل_سال_شکست a trend that the people of Iran. "in the future are more deserving have clear
Absolutely certainly NOT Trump's thumbs involved in this.

Given the propensity of reasonable grammar, good spelling, multi-syllable words, and now viable Arabic inclusions, it is now perfectly clear somebody else is running his tweet feed. Someone with actual writing skills and a working brain. Not necessarily a nice person, but certainly not MAGA Dump.

Can I suggest we need a new game here: Did Trump Write That? The aim of the game is to analyse the writing and content of each Trump tweet and then offer a possible author's name. We then keep a tally of tweet counts by name, and see where this leads us. Note, this is not an attempt to analyse what the content means or react to it. It's an exercise in information analysis. Any up for this?
Old 11th February 2019, 05:31 PM   #35
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
His El Paso speech is going to one huge pander to his White Nationalist base.
Well it's not an obvious place to have it. El Paso voters aren't big Trump fans.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:15 PM   #36
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

The other thing that's amazing... even if the Rasmussen poll were accurate, you're still talking about only a 52% approval rating. Yeah, that's a majority, but its a verrrry small majority. Even Obama managed to get approval ratings in the 60s on Rasmussen. Yet Trump is stuck way down in the low 50s.
Actually I find it really disappointing, that it is that high.
There has never been a president quite as bad as Trump - he is (hopefully) a one off.
So I think there is something really very badly wrong with the state of the union IMO.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:59 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Well it's not an obvious place to have it. El Paso voters aren't big Trump fans.
I expect some of the white Anglo ones are. The rest are all illegals anyhow.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:07 PM   #38
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I was watching the rally on CNN just now, but had to turn it off when he accused Democrats of wanting to execute new born beautiful babies.

The lies are non stop.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:23 PM   #39
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
I was watching the rally on CNN just now, but had to turn it off when he accused Democrats of wanting to execute new born beautiful babies.
Well maybe a lot of people get off on him making **** up but I seriously don't think most Americans want to force women to give birth to babies who have no brains.

I mean, I would prefer it not to happen in, say, the ninth month. It is awful to think about. For some women birthing the baby and honoring its short life works to help them cope. But if other women can't bear the thought of bringing such a child into the world I can't say I blame them either.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:33 PM   #40
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I expect some of the white Anglo ones are. The rest are all illegals anyhow.
I'd be surprised, actually. People who live in border areas are not always big on walls, especially when they are encased in concertina wire from the ground up.

ETA: Although if he drew a crowd, he drew a crowd. Not something I want to listen to.

Last edited by Minoosh; 11th February 2019 at 08:36 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics