ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th October 2018, 10:07 AM   #1321
BrooklynBaby
Muse

I'm sure Rosenstein was just kidding around. It's silly to think that a guy as smart as he is was running around trying to round up cabinet members for a coup or putting together a conspiracy to secretly record Trump.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 12:22 PM   #1322
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
I'm sure Rosenstein was just kidding around. It's silly to think that a guy as smart as he is was running around trying to round up cabinet members for a coup or putting together a conspiracy to secretly record Trump.
Can't tell if serious but . . .

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1...190067713?s=19
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 01:16 PM   #1323
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
How exactly do you mean 'salvage the mess the GOP has become'?

Do you mean lead them to election victory? That may be possible (although i have no idea of how good a campaigner she is).

Or do you mean "fix the underlying problems with the GOP, getting rid of the incompetence, extreme partisanship and evangelical/tea party influence"? If its the latter, what makes you think she'd have that ability? She seemed to be quite happy living in the swamp that is Trump's administration, and seems quite eager to support him. Looks like she's just as much of a scumbag as all the other republicans.
You're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's considering running. Seriously, I'm not sure the Republican Party is fixable. I think it's in it will die (well it won't go away completely, but it will become irrelevant) and the Democrats will split. I'm not sure how long this will take. At this point, it probably depends on how long it takes Trump to crash and burn.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 03:15 PM   #1324
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
How exactly do you mean 'salvage the mess the GOP has become'?

Do you mean lead them to election victory? That may be possible (although i have no idea of how good a campaigner she is).

Or do you mean "fix the underlying problems with the GOP, getting rid of the incompetence, extreme partisanship and evangelical/tea party influence"? If its the latter, what makes you think she'd have that ability? She seemed to be quite happy living in the swamp that is Trump's administration, and seems quite eager to support him. Looks like she's just as much of a scumbag as all the other republicans.

I think the word you were looking for is "inclination"

But it wouldn't matter if she did. It's gonna take a lot more than any single Republican winning an election to turn the GOP from the course they have chosen for themselves.

Frankly, as a party I suspect they are beyond redemption. Their prime movers and shakers have sunk too far into the morass they have created.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 05:42 PM   #1325
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Matthis is "sort of a Democrat" according to Trump. Can't be long now.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 05:52 PM   #1326
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

Man, what an insult!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 06:43 PM   #1327
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Linky. But read the whole stupid thread. What an idiot.
Old 14th October 2018, 07:15 PM   #1328
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Pondering... If Mattis is "sort of" a Democrat, does that mean only partially? If so, what else is he? Sort of a gibbon?

Or does "sort of" mean some species of? Are there species of Democrats? Did I mention gibbons previously?

Inquiring minds want to know.

No, actually, they could not care less.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 09:00 PM   #1329
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Linky. But read the whole stupid thread. What an idiot.
Finally, the Forgotten People of America have the president they've demanded for so long: a rich kid from Queens who thinks he knows more about war and peace than James Mattis.

That 60 minutes interview, great googly moogly.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 10:16 PM   #1330
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Pondering... If Mattis is "sort of" a Democrat, does that mean only partially? If so, what else is he? Sort of a gibbon?

Or does "sort of" mean some species of? Are there species of Democrats? Did I mention gibbons previously?

Inquiring minds want to know.

No, actually, they could not care less.
Sort of a Democrat...does that mean he sort-of believes in Democracy? Unlike his boss? Of course, Republicans also think "progress" is a really bad thing.
Old 14th October 2018, 11:08 PM   #1331
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Sort of a Democrat...does that mean he sort-of believes in Democracy? Unlike his boss? Of course, Republicans also think "progress" is a really bad thing.
And being liberal, i.e. free.
Old 14th October 2018, 11:10 PM   #1332
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Please! If there is a God of any shape or size, make the next resignation be that of the Marmalade Shartcannon in the White House. As if the USA hasn't suffered enough with multiple hurricanes recently, now there's this.
Old 14th October 2018, 11:39 PM   #1333
Minoosh
Philosopher

With Mattis and Kelly both gone from the White House I'd feel even more worried about Trump's presidency. These people keep him on the rails more or less (OK, less) and knowing there are competent people is reassuring. I would want Dems to grab some extra seats because Trump needs some check on his worst impulses. Even he might realize that. Also perhaps Ivanka. Hinting around about changes is not going to inspire greater confidence in his presidency. He's already driven off so many staffers I wonder if there is are any qualified replacements out there.

I don't know if that gets Dems any advantage leading up to the midterms. Trump could just be talking out of his rear end as is his wont.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 03:29 AM   #1334
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If anyone thinks they know what Secretary Mattis's politics are, I suspect they are wrong. He is somewhat famous for being apolitical
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:08 AM   #1335
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If anyone thinks they know what Secretary Mattis's politics are, I suspect they are wrong. He is somewhat famous for being apolitical

A facade of being apolitical has not prevented some people from being fervent Trump supporters.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:19 PM   #1336
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
...but very ambitious. Which may explain why he wants out. This is the Express Down elevator he is on.
Old 15th October 2018, 10:42 PM   #1337
AnonyMoose
Muse

"Sort of a Democrat"

In Trumpinese, I translate that as:

He's not kissing my arse at every opportunity, therefore "sort of a democrat".

It's Trump's idea of tactfully insulting the general without coming right out and calling him an evil, heathenistic, violent-prone, tree-hugging libtard.

In Trumpland, disagreeing with das fuhrer (on anything) makes one a heretic to the motherland and everything she righteously stands for.... otherwise known as "a Democrat".

It's the new 'F' word in the USA.
Old 16th October 2018, 03:35 AM   #1338
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

...but very ambitious. Which may explain why he wants out. This is the Express Down elevator he is on.
Ambitious for what? the only two jobs he could have had that were moves up were Commandant of the Marine Corps or Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and now he's been SECDEF. Absent a run for president there's nowhere left for him to go.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 03:36 AM   #1339
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
A facade of being apolitical has not prevented some people from being fervent Trump supporters.
If he was all that fervent, I suspect we'd hear from him more.
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:28 PM   #1340
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Mattis goes, I predict war within a year.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2018, 03:19 AM   #1341
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/22/polit...owski-faceoff/

Looks like the strain for working for Kelly is getting to someone. Someone clearly wants to show that the strain of working for Trump is getting to Kelly.
Old 27th October 2018, 03:47 AM   #1342
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The only 100% safe position in the Whitehouse is the plasterer, they must be forever repairing dents in the walls.
Old 27th October 2018, 03:52 AM   #1343
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
...they must be forever repairing dents in the walls.
Explains the massive paintings that keep going up.
Old 27th October 2018, 01:37 PM   #1344
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Explains the massive paintings that keep going up.
https://twitter.com/business/status/1055575295170879488
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2018, 11:52 PM   #1345
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

One of the three investigations into Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has been referred to the DoJ by the The Office of Inspector General. Could be that we'll be soon seeing a Twitter about how nice a guy he is and how much good he did for the country from the dunce in chief.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 06:47 AM   #1346
d4m10n
Illuminator

Prediction: This topic is about to come roaring back.
Old 7th November 2018, 12:53 PM   #1347
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Prediction: This topic is about to come roaring back.
And boom, there it is.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...55869377766434

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1060260036616822784

Last edited by d4m10n; 7th November 2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 7th November 2018, 12:57 PM   #1348
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

That didn't take long. I figured he would at least take a couple weeks.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:22 PM   #1349
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
That didn't take long. I figured he would at least take a couple weeks.
Who had Jeff Sessions in the deadpool?
Old 7th November 2018, 01:24 PM   #1350
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

Rosenstein next?
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:27 PM   #1351
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, probably, but with the Dems controlling the House it's sort irrevelent.The invesigatin will not be stopped now.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:29 PM   #1352
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect that the Secretary of the Interior will be gone before too much longer. Trump was lukewarm in his defense the other day, and we know what that means...guy has commited the cardinal sin:He is making Trump look bad.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th November 2018, 02:15 PM   #1353
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Who had Jeff Sessions in the deadpool?
I sure did. And so did quite a few other people.

However, I expected Sessions to be given the Trump boot the day within a day or so after he recused himself from the Russia investigation.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 02:55 PM   #1354
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I sure did. And so did quite a few other people.

However, I expected Sessions to be given the Trump boot the day within a day or so after he recused himself from the Russia investigation.
I think he did get it that day, and then every day following. Apparently the little elf liked it!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:01 PM   #1355
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Hard to imagine that there is someone out there who would make a worse AG.
But if anyone can find him, it's Trump.
Old 7th November 2018, 08:00 PM   #1356
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Oh dear! Is the new AG (worse than the old AG) likely to "do a Mooch"??

Quote:
Trump's acting attorney general was part of firm US accused of vast scam

Matthew Whitaker sat on advisory board of World Patent Marketing, which was ordered to pay $26m settlement in May [by the Federal Trade Commission]
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...eneral-us-firm
Old 8th November 2018, 12:31 AM   #1357
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Oh dear! Is the new AG (worse than the old AG) likely to "do a Mooch"??

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...eneral-us-firm
Why?
Since the Trump Organization is nothing but a scam, this looks like the perfect fit!
To quote Whitaker:

Quote:
“I would only align myself with a first-class organization.”
Old 8th November 2018, 11:41 AM   #1358
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I think he did get it that day, and then every day following. Apparently the little elf liked it!
Very funny indeed!

Your statement is funny because it is funny, and your statement is funny because it is true.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:44 PM   #1359
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Stories that Interior Sectrary Zinke is making inquires about a possible job as a commentator on Fox News,and the he has told close friends he will quit before the end of the year. Looks as if he is going bye bye.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th November 2018, 05:10 PM   #1360
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why?
Since the Trump Organization is nothing but a scam, this looks like the perfect fit!
Because The Mooch was found to be a liability immediately after his appointment, not only big-mouthing but having a chequered past doing stuff for Donny. He was dropped like he was hot in 10 days.

Whitaker's chequered past is being exposed right off the bat, and it is likely he will start doing stuff that will hugely embarrass Donny publicly (even though Donny obviously appointed him to do these things). So he could be moving into the Marmalade Shartcannon's (orange) cross-hairs.

Also, Donny needs another fall-guy to throw to the sharks that are circling him.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics