ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 12th February 2019, 08:25 AM   #761
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Interesting round-up of private transfer laws:
https://consumer.findlaw.com/consume...-by-state.html
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 11:07 AM   #762
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Five dead in Texas shooting. No suspects so a family mass shooting and suicide probably.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/5-found-d...g-sheriff-says
No-one will comment. It's just too common in the USA.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:25 PM   #763
chrispy
Muse

Active shooter situation right now in Aurora, Illinois. Breaking now, so no reports on numbers (if any) of injuries. Massive police and emergency service response to a valve production company. Breaking on CNN.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:21 PM   #764
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Active shooter situation right now in Aurora, Illinois. Breaking now, so no reports on numbers (if any) of injuries. Massive police and emergency service response to a valve production company. Breaking on CNN.
4 LE officers multiple civilians struck.
Old 15th February 2019, 02:26 PM   #765
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reports say the shooter is in custody.
Old 15th February 2019, 03:55 PM   #766
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

While I hope that none of the people hit are seriously injured, you have to note the irony that this happens just a day after Nancy Pelosi and others warned that should Trump declare a State of Emergency over the Border it would give a precedent for a future President to do so over mess shootings and instigate Federal Gun Control Laws under that.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 04:09 PM   #767
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Shooter is dead. He is possibly the only death so far. I don't know if anything is confirmed.
Old 15th February 2019, 04:36 PM   #768
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

NYT: More than one killed.

Don't know if that includes the shooter.
Old 15th February 2019, 04:43 PM   #769
chrispy
Muse

Gov- 5 dead
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:09 PM   #770
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Gov- 5 dead
I saw that too but don't know if that includes the shooter.
Old 15th February 2019, 05:32 PM   #771
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail says a laid-off employee killed 5 of his coworkers. He had worked there for 20 years.
Old 15th February 2019, 06:12 PM   #772
Cain
Straussian

So-called "skeptics" are just as guilty of only looking at the hits and failing to contemplate the misses. If we didn't have the genius of the Constitution, then who knows how many MORE Americans would be dead due to lack of firearms and European-style universal health-care.
Old 16th February 2019, 03:15 AM   #773
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

This one made into the BBC news;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47261314

"A man who was being fired from his job shot dead five people and injured several others at his workplace in the US state of Illinois, police say.

The gunman was also killed during an exchange of fire with police officers. Five officers were shot and wounded.

The shooting took place at a manufacturing company in Aurora, a suburb about 40 miles west of Chicago."

It may be because of the Aurora cinema shooting it has made the news. It may also be because it stands out as being a work place shooting. Will we now see copycat workplace shootings and the term "going postal" will become more familiar?
Old 16th February 2019, 06:58 AM   #774
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
USA: The country where when someone mentions the "Aurora mass shooting" we now have to ask, "Which state, Colorado or Illinois"?
Old 16th February 2019, 07:06 AM   #775
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
So-called "skeptics" are just as guilty of only looking at the hits and failing to contemplate the misses. If we didn't have the genius of the Constitution, then who knows how many MORE Americans would be dead due to lack of firearms and European-style universal health-care.
I know you're just Cain but this is actually the most important point that never gets brought up.

If people think that enacting gun laws similar to most of the western world would result in more gun deaths when were already leading the pack of developed nations by a hefty margin, then there must be some factor about us aside from our gun laws which makes us so uniquely massively prone to shooting each other. And yet these 2A enthusiasts don't seem to have any interest in finding it or addressing it. Their viewpoint relies on this massive factor existing but they never talk about it.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 07:28 AM   #776
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Laser sights will now be the new item that makes a firearm more deadly, and they will now need to be banned.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 07:48 AM   #777
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Daily Mail says a laid-off employee killed 5 of his coworkers. He had worked there for 20 years.
Not legally able to possess a firearm, apparently.

Quote:
Court records show that Martin was convicted of stabbing a woman in Mississippi in 1994.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #778
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
USA: The country where when someone mentions the "Aurora mass shooting" we now have to ask, "Which state, Colorado or Illinois"?
This shooting was in Aurora, Illinois. The town made famous by the movie Wayne’s World.

On a similar note there have been two Columbine massacres.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 12:17 PM   #779
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/BenBradleyTV/sta...15539983474688

15 replies 42 retweets 46 likes
Ben Bradley
‏Verified account @BenBradleyTV
2h2 hours ago

After receiving FOID card, shooter applied for concealed carry permit in 2014. That's when his 1995 conviction was discovered & FOID card revoked.
RED FLAG: It does not appear his Smith and Wesson handgun was confiscated. "He was not supposed to be in possession of that firearm"
8 replies 60 retweets 126 likes
Show this thread
Ben Bradley
2h2 hours ago

Police say Aurora shooter had 6 prior arrests for traffic & domestic violence issues. He also had a 1995 conviction in Mississippi for aggravated assault. Despite that he was issued an Illinois FOID card in 2014 and bought a gun. 1/2
8 replies 114 retweets 140 likes
Show this thread
Ben Bradley
2h2 hours ago

Old 16th February 2019, 03:41 PM   #780
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Confiscated ? I'm not aware there is such option in US.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 03:59 PM   #781
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Red Flag laws are getting popular here where you can confiscate firearms from people deemed ineligible to have them after the fact.

Illinois just passed such a law.

But in this case back in 2014, the state actually revoked his permission to own a gun, and thus should have forced him to turn it over to police.

Old 16th February 2019, 04:57 PM   #782
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Red Flag laws are getting popular here where you can confiscate firearms from people deemed ineligible to have them after the fact.

But in this case back in 2014, the state actually revoked his permission to own a gun, and thus should have forced him to turn it over to police.
Well clearly it didn't force him enough. Seems like case where registration would help.
Old 16th February 2019, 06:37 PM   #783
Molinaro
Illuminator

From this story on CNN, here's the timeline of how he got and kept the gun:

Originally Posted by CNN
How Martin obtained and kept his gun will be part of the investigation. Ziman revealed this Saturday about the timeline:
• Martin was convicted in 1995 in Mississippi of felony aggravated assault.
• In January 2014, Martin, then living in Aurora, was issued a firearm owner's identification card, or FOID card.
• On March 6, 2014, he applied to buy a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun from a gun dealer in Aurora.
• Five days later, he took possession of the gun, having passed a background check and a five-day waiting period.
• On March 16, 2014, he applied for a concealed-carry permit. During a background check process for this permit, his fingerprints flagged him for the 1995 conviction in Mississippi.
• After his felony conviction was discovered, his application for the concealed-carry permit was rejected and Illinois State Police revoked his FOID card.
State police sent him a letter telling him to voluntarily relinquish the weapon to police, Ziman said.

Am I naive to think that a felony conviction is exactly what a background check would be looking for? If not that, then what exactly are they checking? Or is a background check just a questionnaire based on the honor system? Seriously, how does it work?
Old 16th February 2019, 06:53 PM   #784
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Well clearly it didn't force him enough. Seems like case where registration would help.
"thus", not "this".

Law enforcement could have made him turn in the firearm, but they did not do so.

With his card revoked, he was illegally in possession, plus he must have lied on the federal form.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 16th February 2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 16th February 2019, 06:59 PM   #785
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Laser sights will now be the new item that makes a firearm more deadly, and they will now need to be banned.

It looks like the laser sight worked really well.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 02:15 PM   #786
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Only just looked into this Aurora shooting at all, saw a little news blurb with a picture of a 37 year old husband and father of 3 small children who had texted his wife "love you, I've been shot at work" before he died.

Another of those killed was a 22 year old young man who'd just started an internship there and was a college student.

Absolutely tragic.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 05:59 AM   #787
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not legally able to possess a firearm, apparently.
Wow that part is really shocking, usually these are law abiding respectable gun owners.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 06:00 AM   #788
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

https://twitter.com/BenBradleyTV/sta...15539983474688

15 replies 42 retweets 46 likes
Ben Bradley
2h2 hours ago

After receiving FOID card, shooter applied for concealed carry permit in 2014. That's when his 1995 conviction was discovered & FOID card revoked.
RED FLAG: It does not appear his Smith and Wesson handgun was confiscated. "He was not supposed to be in possession of that firearm"
8 replies 60 retweets 126 likes
Show this thread
Ben Bradley
2h2 hours ago

Police say Aurora shooter had 6 prior arrests for traffic & domestic violence issues. He also had a 1995 conviction in Mississippi for aggravated assault. Despite that he was issued an Illinois FOID card in 2014 and bought a gun. 1/2
8 replies 114 retweets 140 likes
Show this thread
Ben Bradley
2h2 hours ago
See the system works!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 06:01 AM   #789
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Why turn it over instead of disposing of it in some other legal fashion like selling it?
Old 19th February 2019, 04:28 PM   #790
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why turn it over instead of disposing of it in some other legal fashion like selling it?
Or destroying it? Why keep it in circulation?
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 04:45 PM   #791
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Since this fired worker massacre of 5, there has been another killing of 5 and also a killing of 4. Both of those were domestic.
Old 21st February 2019, 09:48 AM   #792
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I'm shocked that Illinois knew he was illegally in possession and basically did nothing about that.

If it had been marijuana, they'd have raided his home with a company of troops.

Old 21st February 2019, 10:46 AM   #793
Armitage72
Master Poster

The company I work for has a production facility in Aurora. The brother of one of our employees was one of the victims.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 10:56 AM   #794
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Because the only way the police could actually know for a fact that the illegal carrier has been dispossessed of the weapon is by taking it into custody. Otherwise he could "sell it" to a friend who just signs a receipt but doesn't actually take the gun (or gives it back shortly thereafter), or to a family member or roommate or some other person who lives in the same residence who keeps it in a drawer, thereby never meaningfully losing possession of or access to it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 01:39 PM   #795
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Because the only way the police could actually know for a fact that the illegal carrier has been dispossessed of the weapon is by taking it into custody. Otherwise he could "sell it" to a friend who just signs a receipt but doesn't actually take the gun (or gives it back shortly thereafter), or to a family member or roommate or some other person who lives in the same residence who keeps it in a drawer, thereby never meaningfully losing possession of or access to it.
I don't know this sounds like that kind of gun registration that is always being fought against.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events