ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 4th October 2019, 02:04 PM   #4801
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Moderator
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12,825
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Natives living in tribes didn't take more than they need.
Such as the inhabitants of Rapa Nui and the palm trees on which their island depended? Even allowing for the rats introduced to the island, the people deforested the island (partly in order to create and move their statues) which meant it could no longer sustain the population.

"Natives" and "tribes" will take more than they need even at the expense of their own ecological niche because they are human and they cannot see the bigger picture without the sort of technology that takes money to invent and use.
__________________
Why can't you be more like Agatha? - Loss Leader
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 10:06 PM   #4802
curious cat
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 178
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Recently the représentants of the world had a meeting about the urgency to reduce pollution. All they were discussing was about money, it is not free to reduce pollution because people don't work for free. Electric cars, metros and electric trains to reduce pollution in cities, industries clean water , recycle wastes, it is not free, people don't work for free, they have to be paid because they need money to pay their bills, be patient we will all die soon because of the system of money. I'd like to have an electric car but i don't have the money as everybody else, there is no place to plug it at home because it takes money to have this facilities.
The reason you don't have an electric car is, there is not enough of them to be produced to give one to everybody. There has to be some system in place to allocate those who get them. And it is quite fair they will go to those who contributed enough to the society and got rewarded for it by money... The beauty of the money system is, you don't have to get only an electric car. You can choose whatever you want for your work of value equivalent to it.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 11:46 PM   #4803
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,587
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
That's the only way to make sure everybody in the world have enough and we survive.

A tribe wouldn't survive if they use money, the same thing for the world.
Gaetan, you don't get it. Tribes are small groups of people that are able to work and function together. Typically, they are primitive in nature, often living without electricity and modern conveniences. You cannot try to adapt modern society into tribes unless your plan is to make everyone primitive without electricity and running water and hospitals and restaurants.

There's also the problem that many people, including myself, enjoy having money and modern conveniences such as washing machines and places that will give me prepared food and drink in exchange for money.

How many people want to slaughter a cow anytime they want a steaK?

The fact that Gaetan still uses money makes his ideal world a pipe dream.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 10:33 AM   #4804
Leftus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,198
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
. I'd like to have an electric car but i don't have the money as everybody else, there is no place to plug it at home because it takes money to have this facilities.
You don't have an electric car because you have chosen not to get one. You could refocus your priorities to get one. Rather than do that, you want the world to refocus everything to give you one. You don't want to earn one, you want it without expending any effort. Therein lies the entire problem. You keep saying people won't take more than they need. But here you are, trying to take more than you need. Taking more than you are putting into the system.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 09:11 AM   #4805
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Gaetan, you don't get it. Tribes are small groups of people that are able to work and function together. Typically, they are primitive in nature, often living without electricity and modern conveniences. You cannot try to adapt modern society into tribes unless your plan is to make everyone primitive without electricity and running water and hospitals and restaurants.

There's also the problem that many people, including myself, enjoy having money and modern conveniences such as washing machines and places that will give me prepared food and drink in exchange for money.

How many people want to slaughter a cow anytime they want a steaK?

The fact that Gaetan still uses money makes his ideal world a pipe dream.
We can get a lot more facilities by working for free than we can actually have with money because we won't be stop by the need of investment and find the money for it.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 09:36 AM   #4806
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
We can get a lot more facilities by working for free than we can actually have with money because we won't be stop by the need of investment and find the money for it.
You were given permission to engage in a limited trial of using no money to test your theory. How is it working for you?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:15 AM   #4807
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
You were given permission to engage in a limited trial of using no money to test your theory. How is it working for you?
Money is only good for the 1% others suffer from it.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:18 AM   #4808
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Money is only good for the 1% others suffer from it.
Perfect. Since it's no good for you, how has it been going doing without it?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:25 AM   #4809
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Perfect. Since it's no good for you, how has it been going doing without it?
You see the Nasa says i want to send people on Mars, they say they need money, others wants to find a new medication, they need money, they want to build a new bridge, they need money, a metro, they need money, everything you want to do need money, then it is best to not use it.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:27 AM   #4810
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
You see the Nasa says i want to send people on Mars, they say they need money, others wants to find a new medication, they need money, they want to build a new bridge, they need money, a metro, they need money, everything you want to do need money, then it is best to not use it.
Then nobody would have anything! Doesn't that sound insane?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:42 AM   #4811
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Then nobody would have anything! Doesn't that sound insane?
No because if people work for free, they can send people on Mars, find new medication, have new metro, ect. what you say is not true.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:53 AM   #4812
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
No because if people work for free, they can send people on Mars, find new medication, have new metro, ect.
But as you've proven, people won't work for free. You won't.

Quote:
what you say is not true
No, what YOU say isn't true. You prove that you make crap up time and time again.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:57 AM   #4813
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
But as you've proven, people won't work for free. You won't.
They will work for free because they want to have a nice life.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 11:15 AM   #4814
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
They will work for free because they want to have a nice life.
But you won't work for free. You repeatedly say things that you religiously know are false. Just like I said in the part of my post that you dishonestly didn't answer.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 11:19 AM   #4815
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Gaetan, why have you religiously and repeatedly ignored all of the questions that point out the fatal flaws in your thesis?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 11:23 AM   #4816
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
But you won't work for free.
I will work for free, i want to have a vacation on Mars and have medication if i suffer of a disease, free hospital, free food, house, cell phone, internet, ect. and all people are like me.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 12:11 PM   #4817
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
I will work for free,
No, that's a lie. You refuse to.

Quote:
i want to have a vacation on Mars and have medication if i suffer of a disease, free hospital, free food, house, cell phone, internet, ect. and all people are like me.
I want Ferraris and Lamborghinis and Challenger Hellcats and yachts and mansions. How many can I have if everything is free?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 01:08 PM   #4818
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Gaetan, you religiously and dishonestly avoided answering this:

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Gaetan, why have you religiously and repeatedly ignored all of the questions that point out the fatal flaws in your thesis?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 05:50 PM   #4819
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,587
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
No because if people work for free, they can send people on Mars, find new medication, have new metro, ect. what you say is not true.
We can send peop,e to mars and find new medications becausr we have money.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 09:53 AM   #4820
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
The no action of governments concerning air pollution will cause so much disaster that there will be no choice to abolish money, the world won't print enough money of no value to repair it, then we could begin to change the world right now and have a chance to save it before it's too late.

Last edited by Gaetan; 12th October 2019 at 10:05 AM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 10:05 AM   #4821
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,011
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The no action of governments concerning air pollution will cause so much disaster that there will be no choice to abolish money, the world won't print enough money of no value to repair it, then we could begin to change the world right now and save it before it's too late.
That is an incoherent statement.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 10:10 AM   #4822
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The no action of governments concerning air pollution will cause so much disaster that there will be no choice to abolish money, the world won't print enough money of no value to repair it, then we could begin to change the world right now and have a chance to save it before it's too late.
We must absolutely abolish religion because of the tremendous harm it does to the world. Gaetan, you should begin now with your weird religion. Religion turns its sycophants brains to pudding.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:32 PM   #4823
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 14,060
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
You see the Nasa says i want to send people on Mars, they say they need money, others wants to find a new medication, they need money, they want to build a new bridge, they need money, a metro, they need money, everything you want to do need money, then it is best to not use it.
What all those endeavors require, even in your no money world, are resources. That's what the money buys for them. So once again, how are finite resources allocated in your no money world?
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:40 PM   #4824
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
What all those endeavors require, even in your no money world, are resources. That's what the money buys for them. So once again, how are finite resources allocated in your no money world?
In a world of no money ressources are extracted by free labor.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:52 PM   #4825
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 14,060
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
In a world of no money ressources are extracted by free labor.

Labor is also a resource and is finite, even more so locally than globally. Perhaps it is the labor of a few people whipping a group of other people that will somehow 'freely' 'extract' more labor from them in your no money world?

'Extraction' is not allocation, so once again, how are finite resources allocated in your no money world?
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:58 PM   #4826
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
You still dishonestly and religiously avoid answering questions, Gaetan.

Answer them now.

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Gaetan, why have you religiously and repeatedly ignored all of the questions that point out the fatal flaws in your thesis?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 11:50 AM   #4827
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by The Man View Post

'Extraction' is not allocation, so once again, how are finite resources allocated in your no money world?
We'll just make what can be repaired and recycled and use finite resources if there is no alternative.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 12:54 PM   #4828
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
We'll just make what can be repaired and recycled and use finite resources if there is no alternative.
It's good that you can finally admit that resources are finite. Now, you need to admit to yourself that they have a cost.

Everyone else already knows it and have been patiently trying to teach you. Once you show that growth, we can continue.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 05:57 PM   #4829
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 14,060
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
We'll just make what can be repaired and recycled and use finite resources if there is no alternative.

Making "what can be repaired and recycled" uses finite resources like labor and energy. As does just repairing and recycling such. Heck, just "what can be repaired and recycled" are finite resources themselves. There is "no alternative" to using finite resources.

So once again, how are finite resources allocated in your no money world?
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ

Last edited by The Man; 13th October 2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added "As does just repairing and recycling such"
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 06:02 PM   #4830
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 14,060
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
It's good that you can finally admit that resources are finite. Now, you need to admit to yourself that they have a cost.

Everyone else already knows it and have been patiently trying to teach you. Once you show that growth, we can continue.

He has admitted it before. However, the implications of said admission never seem to sink in. Similarly the concept of non-monetary costs also gets such a vapid passing admission and then is just completely ignored.
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:47 AM   #4831
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,587
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
In a world of no money ressources are extracted by free labor.
In a world of money, resources are extracted by paid labor.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:36 AM   #4832
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
In a world of money, resources are extracted by paid labor.
A searcher from the university of Stanford reckoned that 5 billions people are endangered by lack of food and water before 2030 because of air pollution. Do you thing money can solve this problem? No, it caused it.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #4833
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 30,237
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
A searcher from the university of Stanford reckoned that 5 billions people are endangered by lack of food and water before 2030 because of air pollution. Do you thing money can solve this problem? No, it caused it.
If the problem is a lack of money, why do you want there to be less money? Does that sound insane to you?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.