ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 05:19 AM   #4201
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
It would require them to be working in the interests of the country rather than their own personal financial betterment.

This is one key thing that strikes me in the differences between the Independence movement in Scotland and the EU Leave campaign. Agree or disagree with the SNP I don't think any of them hold the positions they do for any reason other than they think it will be the best thing for Scotland, and I doubt many if any of them would stand to benefit personally to any great degree from independence.
You don't think the smps would seek a 25% pay rise to put them on a par with Westminster mps should they take on the extra responsibilities which currently lie in the UK parliament?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 05:31 AM   #4202
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
The most rational and sensible leave voter I know said to me, "I'd be happy if we could stay in the EEC if it still existed; it's the EU I don't like." I'm pretty sure he'd be happy with something like the Norway option. I could hold my nose and live with it.

Dave
I think for the vast majority of Leave voters, free movement of people would be deal-breaker. Even if the EEC came with free movement of people, it was people from decent countries link Holland or Germany, not Bulgarians and Turks (yes I know, but a person expressing that view wouldn't). That would also be a deal-breaker for many on the left who view free movement as a way of driving down wages (apparently not recognising that they too could move in search of better wages.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:24 AM   #4203
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

There is another issue which has hardly been discussed, by anyone. The so called no deal (which is still a possibility) is misnamed. It is form of deal that will be temporary as new deals are negotiated. We have no idea what those deals will be. We could end up with a no deal, but then negotiate to join the CU or EEA.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:28 AM   #4204
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Brexit latest news: Brexiteer fury as John Bercow blocks attempt to rule out second referendum

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/14/mps-v...elays-8902573/

MPs in the Commons will today vote on whether they feel Britain should delay Brexit in order to hold a second referendum. Brexiteer MPs reacted furiously to the amendment put forward by the Independent Group’s Sarah Wollaston. Speaker of the House, John Bercow, selected her amendment to tonight’s Brexit delay vote over another amendment which sought to reject a second referendum for good.

Last edited by Nessie; 14th March 2019 at 07:29 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:35 AM   #4205
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
There is another issue which has hardly been discussed, by anyone. The so called no deal (which is still a possibility) is misnamed. It is form of deal that will be temporary as new deals are negotiated. We have no idea what those deals will be. We could end up with a no deal, but then negotiate to join the CU or EEA.
Sounds easy.
Until the first deals are made and then voted down by parliament.
Don't you think other countries aren't watching right now and seeing what happens if you agree to a deal with the UK?

The perception now is that the UK, having shot itself in the foot once, thinks that the best course forward is to put the selector switch on full auto and pull the trigger again.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:47 AM   #4206
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That's absolutely correct but the key question is how long will it take to negotiate these trade deals while, in the meantime, operating on WTO terms.

If it's a matter of months then the damage is limited but if it takes years, or decades then that's an entirely different matter.

If the UK brings its "Everything and a pony or I'll scream til I'm sick" negotiating approach it's taken with the EU to its other trade negotiations then I foresee some lengthy, uncomfortable and ultimately unsuccessful (from the UK standpoint) conversations.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:51 AM   #4207
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Sounds easy.
Until the first deals are made and then voted down by parliament.
Don't you think other countries aren't watching right now and seeing what happens if you agree to a deal with the UK?

The perception now is that the UK, having shot itself in the foot once, thinks that the best course forward is to put the selector switch on full auto and pull the trigger again.
The ROTW has seen we are crap at negotiating (we were much better at invading) and will be very happy at their prospects of negotaiting new deal with us.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:52 AM   #4208
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Great summary of tonights votes here

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brex...al-article-50/

Wollaston amendment (h) for a second referendum and Article 50 extension

Tabled by Independent Group MP Sarah Wollaston and backed by members of the new grouping, Liberal Democrats and a handful from other parties, this amendment seeks an Article 50 extension to stage a second referendum with Remain and Parliament’s preferred Brexit option on the ballot paper.

Benn amendment (i) for indicative votes

The cross-party amendment, tabled by Labour’s Hilary Benn and Yvette Cooper and Tory Sir Oliver Letwin, would force a series of votes to indicate MPs’ preferences.

European Council president Donald Tusk has indicated that the EU may be ready to offer a lengthy extension to negotiations if the UK wants to “rethink its Brexit strategy and build consensus around it”.

Labour amendment (e) to extend Article 50 and reject May’s deal

Labour’s amendment notes that Parliament has “decisively” rejected both Mrs May’s deal and no deal and calls for a delay to Brexit “to provide parliamentary time for this House to find a majority for a different approach”.

Bryant amendment (j) to reject May’s deal

Backed by a range of MPs, including Chris Bryant, the amendment says that “a motion or an amendment which is the same, in substance, as a question which has been decided in the affirmative or negative during the current session may not be brought forward again during that session”, ordering the Government to not move a third meaningful vote.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:25 AM   #4209
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It's interesting that the Labour leadership, who appeared to be so keen on a second referendum a month or so ago when people were leaving the parliamentary party, now seem to have gone cold on the idea and are just as enthusiastically pro-Brexit as the Conservatives (albeit for a different, but equally unachievable, model of Brexit).

It seems to me that all votes will fail this evening and so even though Theresa May's deal is unacceptable, and a no-deal is unacceptable, any delay to the Brexit timetable is equally unacceptable.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:47 AM   #4210
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
In my country there are often only a few persons per party present for voting. Then voting is by holding hands up. The people present are supposed to then vote for the entire party and the vote counting is then assumed to be by partylines.
A set-up that would simply not work in the UK, where two parties hold the overwhelming majority of seats, and usually the one with the most has more than every other party combined. That would be recipe for the government to push through whatever it wanted, without any opposition.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:58 AM   #4211
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Or all be face down floating in the North Sea before anything gets agreed.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:02 AM   #4212
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Ah, now I understand. Trump is now claiming that he advised May on how to negotiate this whole business
Old 14th March 2019, 09:02 AM   #4213
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's interesting that the Labour leadership, who appeared to be so keen on a second referendum a month or so ago when people were leaving the parliamentary party, now seem to have gone cold on the idea and are just as enthusiastically pro-Brexit as the Conservatives (albeit for a different, but equally unachievable, model of Brexit).

It seems to me that all votes will fail this evening and so even though Theresa May's deal is unacceptable, and a no-deal is unacceptable, any delay to the Brexit timetable is equally unacceptable.
Apparently 'now is not the time' for a people's vote. I wonder when it would be exactly? I mean we only have 2 weeks left.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:40 AM   #4214
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Apparently 'now is not the time' for a people's vote. I wonder when it would be exactly? I mean we only have 2 weeks left.
Mind you, in the light of the bizarreness of recent events, the fact that virtually everybody who wants another referendum is about to vote down an amendment mandating one despite the fact that the people who oppose one have said they won't be voting against it seems almost mundane.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:55 AM   #4215
Wudang
BOFH

I think Corbyn and his enablers have always been against a second referendum. As in 2017 they allow the more intelligent members like Starmer to woo the electorate and conference with talk of a second referendum but with no intention of following through. Weasels.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:36 AM   #4216
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Labstain at it again.

One Labour MP apparently voted both for and against a second referendum. Jeesus.

If they were asked to vote on the colour of ***** 200 Labour MPs would abstain.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:13 AM   #4217
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Ah, now I understand. Trump is now claiming that he advised May on how to negotiate this whole business
That would explain a lot.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:25 AM   #4218
Wudang
BOFH

Labstain at it again.

One Labour MP apparently voted both for and against a second referendum. Jeesus.
Apparently protocol to indicate he is really abstaining and not just can't be arsed.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:51 AM   #4219
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The various amendments have been defeated or withdrawn, so no second referendum and there was a vote to ask for a delay (Article 50 extension) to Brexit.

I suspect the EU will agree, since they prefer a deal to the so called no deal.
Old 14th March 2019, 12:11 PM   #4220
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I think Corbyn and his enablers have always been against a second referendum. As in 2017 they allow the more intelligent members like Starmer to woo the electorate and conference with talk of a second referendum but with no intention of following through. Weasels.

You would have to be trying pretty hard to be even worse than May but Corbyn has managed to do it.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 12:12 PM   #4221
a_unique_person

I know, lets just kick the can down the road. With more time we will be able to dither for even longer.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 12:27 PM   #4222
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I am thinking that an EU member state ought to do the UK a solid and deny an extension. Perhaps faced with crashing out, there is some chance someone might recall that it is Parliament that has power, not referendums, and the whole matter can entirely be put off until such time as we all figure out which household chemical it is that has the whole world currently bonkers.
Old 14th March 2019, 12:33 PM   #4223
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

As it is reported here, not "the EU" but all 27 members (each and every one of them) have to agree to a delay. I doubt that this will happen.
Old 14th March 2019, 12:43 PM   #4224
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The various amendments have been defeated or withdrawn, so no second referendum and there was a vote to ask for a delay (Article 50 extension) to Brexit.

Or at least to kick the can to after the EU elections so that they will not have a bunch of freshly angry voters come election time. So at least on that side there is a plan as to why kicking it down the road a few months is a good idea even it nothing will change and the UK with still crash out.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 12:54 PM   #4225
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

There has been so little agreement on a Brexit deal so far that I hold out no prospect that a consensus can be reached even with a long delay, or if we crash out with a so called no deal, what sort of deal the UK will get after that.
Old 14th March 2019, 01:07 PM   #4226
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm counting on you Estonia
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 02:09 PM   #4227
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Brexit secretary, Steve Barclay ... wound up the debate for the government, saying: “It is time for this house to act in the national interest, it’s time to put forward an extension that is realistic” – before trooping through the no lobby to reject that argument. Government sources insisted he was not intending to resign, despite his unprecedented action.

The shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, said: “This evening the Brexit secretary voted against his government’s own motion on Brexit, which earlier in the day he had defended in the House of Commons. That’s the equivalent of the chancellor voting against his own budget. This is a government that has completely lost control.”

What the **** does this mean? It must be some kind of weird parliamentary code, but it's beyond me.
Old 14th March 2019, 02:18 PM   #4228
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Brexit secretary, Steve Barclay ... wound up the debate for the government, saying: “It is time for this house to act in the national interest, it’s time to put forward an extension that is realistic” – before trooping through the no lobby to reject that argument. Government sources insisted he was not intending to resign, despite his unprecedented action.

The shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, said: “This evening the Brexit secretary voted against his government’s own motion on Brexit, which earlier in the day he had defended in the House of Commons. That’s the equivalent of the chancellor voting against his own budget. This is a government that has completely lost control.”

What the **** does this mean? It must be some kind of weird parliamentary code, but it's beyond me.
At the moment I am inclined to believe the leadership of both the major parties in the UK are composed of idiots.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 02:23 PM   #4229
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
At the moment I am inclined to believe the leadership of both the major parties in the UK are composed of idiots.
You could extend that to the leadership of the three largest Anglosphere countries
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 02:26 PM   #4230
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have a theory that a lot of the best and brightest don't want anything to do with politics and that is why we are getting such bad leadership.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 04:00 PM   #4231
Aber
Graduate Poster

During the debate before voting, the Brexit Minister argued in favour of a proposal for extending the deadline for leaving the EU.

He then voted against the proposal.

[Hope that helps]

However it was of course an unwhipped motion.

[That may not help]
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 04:42 PM   #4232
a_unique_person

I have a theory that a lot of the best and brightest don't want anything to do with politics and that is why we are getting such bad leadership.
Paradoxically, we should be paying then more so they can compete with the general job market better.
Old 14th March 2019, 04:53 PM   #4233
a_unique_person

Brexiternity. I like it.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:11 PM   #4234
angrysoba
Philosophile

The joke is that the problems of the world are due to the fact that all the people who know how to run the world are driving taxis or cutting hair.

But right now I think I would happily replace Parliament with barbers and taxi drivers.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:51 PM   #4235
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Where is a Lord Protector when you need one?
Old 14th March 2019, 10:46 PM   #4236
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Busy dealing with the Keys. (Bit obscure reference…)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:51 PM   #4237
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I said that a couple of pages ago. Don't steal my shtick ,man.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:03 AM   #4238
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
During the debate before voting, the Brexit Minister argued in favour of a proposal for extending the deadline for leaving the EU.

He then voted against the proposal.

[Hope that helps]

However it was of course an unwhipped motion.

[That may not help]

ROLFMAO. At least this is entertaining.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:27 AM   #4239
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

It's interesting that the Labour leadership
You might want to rephrase that, or at least introduce a qualifier or two, such as "people who are supposed to be the Labour leadership", or something to that effect.

Quote:
Interestingly enough, we were both wrong on this count.

One more vote on the deal and if it fails through the government will decide whether or not to cancel Brexit altogether, or so I've heard.

McHrozni
Old 15th March 2019, 01:06 AM   #4240
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
You might want to rephrase that, or at least introduce a qualifier or two, such as "people who are supposed to be the Labour leadership", or something to that effect.
Jeremy Corbyn, the ostensible Labour leader?

Or "purported", or "alleged"...
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics