ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th March 2019, 01:29 PM   #1
JeanTate
Master Poster

"Hawking, Gell-Mann, and Feynman believed MWI was true"?

The full claim is (from the BLP sub-Reddit):

Quote:
Elvridge., Jim (2008-01-02). The Universe – Solved!. pp. 35–36. ISBN 978-1-4243-3626-5. OCLC 247614399. 58% believed that the Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) was true, including Stephen Hawking and Nobel Laureates Murray Gell-Mann and Richard Feynman
Myself, I do not recall reading anything by Hawking or Feynman that is consistent with either "believ[ing] the Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) was true" (I'm not as familiar with Gell-Mann). But of course, I certainly have not read everything either ever wrote!

From your own reading, dear reader, do you recall where any of these three wrote something that could be construed as believing MWI (other than as a possibility, like all the other quantum interpretations)?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 02:18 PM   #2
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I sure don't remember that from Gell-Mann's bio
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 02:37 PM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect they each let one that "they believed in the possibility". And somebody distorted that.

So why open a thread for that?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 03:45 AM   #4
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I suspect they each let one that "they believed in the possibility". And somebody distorted that.

So why open a thread for that?
Why not?

Imperfect models (and that's all of them) can sometimes give weird results. Sometimes people forget they're dealing with a model.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 04:16 AM   #5
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Ultimately, though, does it even matter? QM works the same, no matter what interpretation you believe in.
Old 14th March 2019, 04:21 AM   #6
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Why not?

Imperfect models (and that's all of them) can sometimes give weird results. Sometimes people forget they're dealing with a model.
The interpretations of QM are not even a part of the model, though, and have exactly zero bearing on the results. If different interpretations actually predicted ANY difference, we could use that to sort out which of them is right.

Really, it all boils down to: the QM maths works flawlessly, BUT it's in a domain that your brain and your past experiences don't help you at all. In fact, just about everything about it is counter-intuitive, and sometimes severely so. It's waaaahaahaay outside the domain that you evolved to deal with. So people invent ways to wrap their mind around such things and imagine anything even remotely relevant to QM. But the maths is the same either way.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Ultimately, though, does it even matter? QM works the same, no matter what interpretation you believe in.
Yay!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:58 AM   #8
p0lka
Graduate Poster

'shut up and calculate!'
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:59 AM   #9
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Gell-Mann. That's that superhero with the fancy hairdo, right?
Old 14th March 2019, 12:45 PM   #10
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
'shut up and calculate!'
Pretty much, yes. At least if you're doing science or engineering. If it's just your personal way to visualize things, though, meh, knock yourself out.
Old 14th March 2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
The full claim is (from the BLP sub-Reddit):

Myself, I do not recall reading anything by Hawking or Feynman that is consistent with either "believ[ing] the Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) was true" (I'm not as familiar with Gell-Mann). But of course, I certainly have not read everything either ever wrote!

From your own reading, dear reader, do you recall where any of these three wrote something that could be construed as believing MWI (other than as a possibility, like all the other quantum interpretations)?
It is hard to read "The Grand Design" without coming to the conclusion that Hawking favours some version of MWI. I recall in an answer to a young person who asked about such-and-such person who quit such-and-such boy band and Hawking said that the young person should take solace in physics which suggests that there is a Universe in which such-and-such was still a member of the boy band.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 03:03 PM   #12
Robin
Philosopher

We can obviously put Sean Carroll and David Deutsche in the MWI corner. Brian Cox seems to favour it. Any others?

Some believers are suggesting that within 10-15 years anyone who is not a solid Everettian will be regarded much as we regard proponents of intelligent design today.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 03:18 PM   #13
Robin
Philosopher

I don't find QM weird. That probably means, as per Feynman's maxim, that I don't understand it.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:09 AM   #14
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
It is hard to read "The Grand Design" without coming to the conclusion that Hawking favours some version of MWI. I recall in an answer to a young person who asked about such-and-such person who quit such-and-such boy band and Hawking said that the young person should take solace in physics which suggests that there is a Universe in which such-and-such was still a member of the boy band.
Wasn't there an interview with Hawking one time when some comedian asked, "Does that mean there is a universe somewhere where I am smarter than you?" And Hawking replied, "Yes, and there is also a universe somewhere where you are funny."

Maybe it's all made up, but I thought it was funny.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:15 AM   #15
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The key word here is “believed”. The evidence available can’t be used to distinguish between the interpretations.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:37 AM   #16
JeanTate
Master Poster

We can obviously put Sean Carroll and David Deutsche in the MWI corner. Brian Cox seems to favour it. Any others?

Some believers are suggesting that within 10-15 years anyone who is not a solid Everettian will be regarded much as we regard proponents of intelligent design today.
Thanks.

I know Carroll is a big multiverse fan, but am a bit surprised about the MWI part. Deutsche? I haven't read him for a long time.

More generally, it used to be that MWI and multiverse were easily distinguishable (they really have almost nothing in common), but lately, in popular accounts (i.e. not papers), I find it harder to tell the difference.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:36 AM   #17
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I don't find QM weird. That probably means, as per Feynman's maxim, that I don't understand it.
Trust me, if you actually understand enough of it and still don't find it weird, then you probably should have gone into physics. Because you'd probably be the greatest physicist ever.
Old 17th March 2019, 09:30 AM   #18
jeffbradt
New Blood

I am a physics undergrad, but right now am working on just understanding the basics. I will need to read more physicists before I can comment on posts like this, but for now it is good to see these posts for inspiration. I will get back to you when I have graduated and read more.
jeffbradt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 12:45 PM   #19
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Thanks.

I know Carroll is a big multiverse fan, but am a bit surprised about the MWI part. Deutsche? I haven't read him for a long time.

More generally, it used to be that MWI and multiverse were easily distinguishable (they really have almost nothing in common), but lately, in popular accounts (i.e. not papers), I find it harder to tell the difference.
Here is Carroll on the MWI

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/...bably-correct/

Sent from my Moto C using Tapatalk
Old 17th March 2019, 01:17 PM   #20
Robin
Philosopher

Trust me, if you actually understand enough of it and still don't find it weird, then you probably should have gone into physics. Because you'd probably be the greatest physicist ever.
In which case I would probably find it weird. I doubt I would.even make a middling physicist.

Sent from my Moto C using Tapatalk
Old 17th March 2019, 03:25 PM   #21
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'm glad you mentioned intelligent design, because it has some believers, too.
Old 17th March 2019, 11:39 PM   #22
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

But the maths is the same either way.
That’s not really true. Every interpretation other tha Everett adds something to the math.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology