ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags conspiracy theories , jesse ventura , TruTV

Old 31st October 2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Jesse Ventura to host new conspiracy theory TV show

Looks like it will be on at prime time for conspiratards.

http://thewrestlingdaily.com/?p=3531

Quote:
[...]
Now, the former WWE Champion and one-term governor of Minnesota, founds himself in a position of national media attention again, as Turner Broadcasting announced Tuesday he will be appearing as a host on a new reality television series, “ConspiracyTheory with Jesse Ventura.”

The show will air on truTV, formerly known as Court TV, beginning at 10 p.m. EST Dec. 2.

[...]

Ventura will be featured on the program with Investigative Producers June Sarpong and Alex Piper and Executive Producer Michael Braverman. Topics for the show’s inaugural season include secret societies, global warming, alleged cover-ups of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and a research center in Alaska that could be a government weapon and prophecies about Armageddon, according to the press release.

[...]
Old 31st October 2009, 11:59 PM   #2
Pardalis
Banned

Boy, they'll do anything except legitimate peer-reviewed research.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 05:12 AM   #3
fitzgibbon
Master Poster

Whose peers? Ventura's?
"Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth... Go to God!"
Howard Beale, "Network"
fitzgibbon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Is Jesse still sporting the insane meth addict look?

Old 1st November 2009, 07:42 AM   #5
BobHaulk
Muse

Someone should make a tv show called ' Have i got woo for you' and get these conspiracy loons on to explain their woo and then have panellists rip them apart for a laugh.
BobHaulk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 10:35 AM   #6
riptowtan
Thinker

What is this research center in Alaska about? I've never heard of it.
riptowtan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 11:11 AM   #7
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by BobHaulk View Post
Someone should make a tv show called ' Have i got woo for you' and get these conspiracy loons on to explain their woo and then have panellists rip them apart for a laugh.
There was a show hosted by Kevin Nealon which was a lot like that. The problem was it was hard to find guests that supported the CT willing to go on a show that would present the other side of the argument equally.

The one about Dale Earnhardt's death was really interesting.

ETA: it was called "The Conspiracy Zone."
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling

Last edited by CptColumbo; 1st November 2009 at 11:31 AM.
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by riptowtan View Post
What is this research center in Alaska about? I've never heard of it.
High Altitude Aurora Research Program (HAARP)
Old 1st November 2009, 05:18 PM   #9
riptowtan
Thinker

Originally Posted by Alferd_Packer View Post
High Altitude Aurora Research Program (HAARP)
Oh ok.
riptowtan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Is Jesse still sporting the insane meth addict look?
Yes, and is he still rocking back and forth in his seat when he talks?

(I saw this in a youtube vid where he was talking about 9/11 CTs, but I can't download any vids at the moment.)
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:37 AM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Poor Jesse, I guess all those blows to the head he took while wrestling finally caught up to him.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:35 PM   #12
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

So, he runs a couple of shows on 9/11 and a couple on JFK, then what?

Is he going to go chemtrail?

Apollo landings? Pearl Harbor? Little Big Horn? When will he stop? LOL
Old 2nd November 2009, 01:37 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Don't laugh. THose who fall for one conspiracy theory seldom stop with the original one. For those with CT mindset, just buying into one CT is a lot like eating just one potato chip is for the averaage person: Possible but very,very,difficult.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2009, 07:34 PM   #14
Donal
Illuminator

Kurt Cobain. You know, for the kids.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:11 PM   #15
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Kurt Cobain. You know, for the kids.
Aren't some of those "kids" in their thirties by now?
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2009, 11:38 PM   #16
Meed
boundless constraint

Don't forget flu vaccines, Secret Team, Jews, Aliens... there's a lot of crap to muck around in. Making up your own conspiracies would have to be pretty easy as well.

Personally, I'm hoping he works in some sort of make believe interview with Obama that gets hyped as real before hand. Fake guest appearances like that are HUGE by truther standards I hear.

Poor guys.

Last edited by Meed; 4th November 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Meed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2009, 11:49 PM   #17
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

I watch several hours of Tru a week and haven't seen any ads for this show yet.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2009, 11:56 PM   #18
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post
I watch several hours of Tru a week and haven't seen any ads for this show yet.
Well, since they're putting it on at 10pm, it doesn't seem that they think too much of it.

Here's a link to the show's page:
http://news.turner.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=163

There's a Word document that lists the episodes that are planned, and describes who will appear. For example, in the 9/11 episode, they've got Willy Rodriguez and Brett Blanchard lined up. I wonder how much air time each will get...
Old 5th November 2009, 07:40 AM   #19
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Rods! I want to see a show about Rods! Cryptozoology is fun!
Old 5th November 2009, 08:48 PM   #20
Skeptic808
New Blood

Jesse Ventura's new TV show "Conspiracy Theories" to air on TruTV network

We all know former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura is an avid conspiracy theorist who has appeared on the Alex Jones show and has said publicly that 9/11 was a conspiracy and blah blah blah. Well it looks like Ventura is getting a new TV show which will air on Dec. 2nd 2009 at 10PM. The show is going to take Ventura "around the world to investigate a variety of unnamed conspiracies". It has ordered seven episodes, and was going to air in October, but according to TruTV's website, it has been puched back to Dec. I'm going to watch one or two episodes just to see what Ventura is going to do and how he is going to handle these topics which he knows oh so much about. One thing I can almost gurantee you is that he will mention theories that have been proven wrong, but I really want to see what happens when he faces the skeptics who tell him that (too bad JREF wasn't told) . So I was wondering what your initial thoughts are about this show. I know that Ventura's first show only lasted for two months, but what about this one? TruTV said that the show had a lot of support so I'm not too sure how people will respond to it. Any of you guys going to watch...for the comedy? I know I'm gonna.

P.S.-I cannot post a link because I only have one post, but if you search goggle for "conspiracy theories Jesse Ventura TV", or something with those keywords, I'm sure you will find it. You can also go to the TruTV website, click on shows, then click on more.
Skeptic808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 09:08 PM   #21
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

I'd watch it if he had Gene Okerlund as a co-host. Jesse loses credibility when he doesn't preface his comments with "let me tell you something, Mean Gene."
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 10:17 PM   #22
SezMe
post-pre-born

Welcome, Skeptic808. Here's the first google hit.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 10:25 PM   #23
Skeptic808
New Blood

Thanks for the welcome and google hit SezMe. I've been keeping track here on JREF for a while now, just haven't posted anything. I may be new to posting here, but have been reasearching 9/11 for two years now so conspiracy theorists better not take me lightly. I'm happy to be among friends.
Skeptic808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 10:35 PM   #24
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Finally found a listing on Tru's website. Still haven't seen any promo commercials for it yet though.
http://www.trutv.com/shows/more_series/index.html
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 10:48 PM   #25
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I will certainly watch, but I do not expect great things out of it.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 10:49 PM   #26
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

It says in the promo blurb (from the link Orphia provided - I can't get through to the one US gave) that they're going to look at things from the perspective of the conspiradroids AND from those skeptical of their theories.

Quote:
9/11
Jesse Ventura steps into America’s most controversial conspiracy by challenging the 9/11 Commission report and considering evidence that the September 11th attacks were an inside job. At the urging of victims’ families, he finds witnesses who claim the towers were brought down by revolutionary explosives that were placed in plain sight of everyone, but no one knew what they were. Ventura also hears from those who claim the missing black box flight recorders were actually recovered. And he is told a shocking story about who may have been in the cockpits before the jets took off.

Featured Experts and Eyewitnesses: William Rodriguez , former World Trade Center janitor who said he felt bombs exploding from below seconds before the plane hit building one; physicist Steven Jones, who says he found evidence of bomb material (thermite) in the residue from Ground Zero; explosives expert Van Romero, who performed a test purported to show that liquid thermite can make steel girders burn hotter and faster; demolition expert Brent Blanchard, who says that no inspection for explosive materials was done at the scene; former Air Force pilot Jeff Dahlstrom, who is convinced that that 9/11 was a “false flag” operation carried out to push the country into war; Mike Bellone, a recovery worker at Ground Zero who says that he saw airline flight recorders recovered at the scene; Dale Lindorff who says that the recorders were recovered, inspected and turned over to the FBI; Dale Leppard, a former head of the Airline Pilots Association who insists recorders are always found; and former FBI investigator Jack Cloonan, who disputes claims the recorders were found.
Seems like about 9:1 in favour of the 'droids.

This promises to be a painful show and series. Viewership? About 12.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 11:24 PM   #27
grandmastershek
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
I'd watch it if he had Gene Okerlund as a co-host. Jesse loses credibility when he doesn't preface his comments with "let me tell you something, Mean Gene."
Nothing commands seriousness like a feather boa.
grandmastershek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 11:28 PM   #28
eromitlab
Muse

I can't wait for Jesse to show everyone how he arrived at his assertion that the 9/11 Commission only received $4 million in funding. I mean, it's not like he'd go on Larry King and just pull a number out of his cornhole, knowing the responsibility he has to truthers that take his word as absolute fact.
Old 6th November 2009, 12:04 AM   #29
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

Well, he does misrepresent himself somewhat as a SEAL.

(He was UDT, which is still entitled to the Trident. UDT's were mostly tasked with what the traditional "frogmen" role was - covert insertion and underwater demolition. That mission was rolled into the SEAL program some time ago, but back when Ventura was in they were two seperate entities. My guess is that he refers to himself as a SEAL to cash in on the popular culture value that goes along with it.)

The sad thing is, UDT's were some badass mo-fos. I don't know why he feels he has to claim more than what he was, which was worthy of anyone's respect.

Notice how often he covers himself in civilian clothes prominently featuring the trident, as well. Not many ex-SEALs go around flashing the trident.
Old 6th November 2009, 05:41 AM   #30
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
Well, he does misrepresent himself somewhat as a SEAL.

(He was UDT, which is still entitled to the Trident. UDT's were mostly tasked with what the traditional "frogmen" role was - covert insertion and underwater demolition. That mission was rolled into the SEAL program some time ago, but back when Ventura was in they were two seperate entities. My guess is that he refers to himself as a SEAL to cash in on the popular culture value that goes along with it.)

The sad thing is, UDT's were some badass mo-fos. I don't know why he feels he has to claim more than what he was, which was worthy of anyone's respect.

Notice how often he covers himself in civilian clothes prominently featuring the trident, as well. Not many ex-SEALs go around flashing the trident.

The SEALs don't have a problem with it, so I give Jesse a pass there.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2009, 07:07 AM   #31
CHF
Illuminator

What the hell is TruTV?
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2009, 07:11 AM   #32
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by CHF View Post
What the hell is TruTV?

It used to be CourtTV. I'd say they changed it because it they started showing "reality television" but most of it is like that stupid repo show which is all acting, so even by the lax standards of the term "reality television" they don't apply (and a twoofer hosting a conspiracy theory show is another good example).

Hence their new motto, "it's not reality, it's actuality."
Old 6th November 2009, 07:23 AM   #33
A W Smith
Philosopher

Jesse Venturas jello brain

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Don’t get me lol’n off my chesterfield dude.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2009, 07:52 AM   #34
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Another Truther found a way to make money off 9/11.

What a hero.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2009, 01:44 PM   #35
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
The SEALs don't have a problem with it, so I give Jesse a pass there.
There's some split in the community from what I've been able to gather. Some of them think it's good publicity, some of them think he's misrepresenting himself, and most of them think he's a loony old bastard and don't give it a second thought.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:47 PM   #36
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
There's some split in the community from what I've been able to gather. Some of them think it's good publicity, some of them think he's misrepresenting himself, and most of them think he's a loony old bastard and don't give it a second thought.

I meant their official stance on him.
Old 6th November 2009, 02:31 PM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
/11
Jesse Ventura steps into America’s most controversial conspiracy by challenging the 9/11 Commission report and considering evidence that the September 11th attacks were an inside job. At the urging of victims’ families, he finds witnesses who claim the towers were brought down by revolutionary explosives that were placed in plain sight of everyone, but no one knew what they were. Ventura also hears from those who claim the missing black box flight recorders were actually recovered. And he is told a shocking story about who may have been in the cockpits before the jets took off.

Featured Experts and Eyewitnesses: William Rodriguez , former World Trade Center janitor who said he felt bombs exploding from below seconds before the plane hit building one; physicist Steven Jones, who says he found evidence of bomb material (thermite) in the residue from Ground Zero; explosives expert Van Romero, who performed a test purported to show that liquid thermite can make steel girders burn hotter and faster; demolition expert Brent Blanchard, who says that no inspection for explosive materials was done at the scene; former Air Force pilot Jeff Dahlstrom, who is convinced that that 9/11 was a “false flag” operation carried out to push the country into war; Mike Bellone, a recovery worker at Ground Zero who says that he saw airline flight recorders recovered at the scene; Dale Lindorff who says that the recorders were recovered, inspected and turned over to the FBI; Dale Leppard, a former head of the Airline Pilots Association who insists recorders are always found; and former FBI investigator Jack Cloonan, who disputes claims the recorders were found.
Court/Tru TV has just made my official "no way am I watchng this crap" list.
It's like a who who's of Truther wackjobs.
No wonder Arnie has severed relations with his old buddy Jesse.
Old 6th November 2009, 03:39 PM   #38
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Court/Tru TV has just made my official "no way am I watchng this crap" list.

"Forensic Files" is pretty awesome though.
Old 6th November 2009, 03:46 PM   #39
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by CHF View Post
What the hell is TruTV?
WooTV.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2009, 11:35 AM   #40
jmh423
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic808 View Post
Thanks for the welcome and google hit SezMe. I've been keeping track here on JREF for a while now, just haven't posted anything. I may be new to posting here, but have been reasearching 9/11 for two years now so conspiracy theorists better not take me lightly. I'm happy to be among friends.
If you have been studying the deluxe JREF debunking guide here on the conspiracy homepage, I'm sure you'll be a real tour de force. These guys need all the help they can get. Welcome indeed "Skeptic".

Gentlemen......Start your debunking!!
jmh423 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories