ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags area 51

Old 15th July 2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Imadeyouthink
Student

Area 51 people pledging to raid to find aliens

Yeah it's a recent topic that has been making headlines the people who signed a pledge to raid area 51. What do you guys think of this? Apparently it is at 900.000 people pledged.

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

Last edited by Imadeyouthink; 15th July 2019 at 10:29 AM.
Imadeyouthink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 10:29 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think that no small number of pledges were signed by Russian bots.
But that might make some actual people actually show up, thinking they got the numbers.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:31 AM   #3
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Imadeyouthink View Post
Yeah it's a recent topic that has been making headlines the people who signed a pledge to raid area 51. What do you guys think of this? Apparently it is at 900.000 people pledged.

So when approximately is this raid scheduled?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 10:39 AM   #4
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Will they be armed?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 10:40 AM   #5
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Idiocy on a grand scale.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 10:44 AM   #6
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

If the activity on reddit and other social media is indication, this whole thing is turning into a huge joke and a breeding ground for dank memes.

Not sure how much legitimate believers this one has as opposed to internet memers.
Old 15th July 2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Imadeyouthink
Student

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Will they be armed?
Not sure

Imadeyouthink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:15 AM   #8
Venom
Master Poster

They won't make it to the area, but if they do, they'll clearly be seen a few kilometers out.

Probably the warnings alone would give them pause and nobody will step forward, even out of tens of thousands.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-storming-area

Quote:
The Air Force gave a word of caution to the thousands of people planning to storm Area 51 in Nevada later this year, warning the UFO enthusiasts that the military “stands ready to protect America and its assets.”

Air Force spokeswoman Laura McAndrews declined to elaborate on specific details.

However, she did issue a warning to those who may be serious about a plan to infiltrate the Nevada Air Force base.

“[Area 51] is an open training range for the U.S. Air Force, and we would discourage anyone from trying to come into the area where we train American armed forces,” McAndrews told the paper.

“The U.S. Air Force always stands ready to protect America and its assets,” she added.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:16 AM   #9
Venom
Master Poster

Would MPs really risk the PR nightmare of slaughtering thousands of American citizens if it came to it?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:20 AM   #10
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Would MPs really risk the PR nightmare of slaughtering thousands of American citizens if it came to it?
you think the truth-seekers would keep advancing after the first bullets fly?
They would all stop as one and pull out their phones to capture the massacre on video and scramble to be the first to upload it.
Old 15th July 2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Armitage72
Illuminator

900,000 people sign an online pledge because it takes a couple seconds, a few dozen people actually show up, maybe, and quickly decide it's too hot and go back to their hotels.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:33 AM   #12
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Didn't it start as a joke?

Anyway, it is scheduled for 3 a.m. on September 20. I'm pretty sure scheduling it like that makes it qualify as a joke.

Not that some idiots won't try to do it for real, get captured, and become "martyrs to da TROOF!"

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 12:01 PM   #13
Axxman300
Illuminator

It was supposed to be a joke, but stupid people flock to stupid ideas in the internet.
Old 15th July 2019, 12:54 PM   #14
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Last I knew, Wackenhut had the contract for the physical security of the facility.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

McAfee says yes.
Old 15th July 2019, 01:26 PM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
It was supposed to be a joke, but stupid people flock to stupid ideas in the internet.
It doesn't take the internet for the tin foil hat brigade to go Loopy Lou about aliens. In 1938, quite few of them panicked over an Orson Welles adapted dramatization of HG Wells' "War of the Worlds". They thought Martians had invaded the Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wa..._(radio_drama)

It wasn't as widespread as many claim, but there were people who panicked.

Furthermore, there was a remake on the 30th anniversary in 1968 by Buffalo Radio station WKBW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wa...ds_(radio_1968)

In spite of a vigorous and extensive advertising campaign ahead of the show, a number of people, including some small-town police officers, a small local newspaper, and even some parts of the Canadian military, were still convinced it was a genuine Martian invasion report.

The Stupid - there is no accounting for it.

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th July 2019 at 01:45 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 01:43 PM   #17
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bknight View Post

If you had the sooper sekrit decoder ring you would know!

Imposter alert!!!!!! bknight is not one of us!!!! He is one of THEM!!!

THEM alert!!!! THEM is amongst us!!!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 02:25 PM   #18
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
If you had the sooper sekrit decoder ring you would know!

Imposter alert!!!!!! bknight is not one of us!!!! He is one of THEM!!!

THEM alert!!!! THEM is amongst us!!!

bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Hans
Philosopher

Hmmm bullets fly? Not before they used CS (orto-chlorobenzylidene-malononitrile) gas, more commonly known as tear gas and then pepper spray. Finally rubber bullets but not sure a base in the US would have those.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 03:42 PM   #20
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

This is assuming they even get close. Its not exactly hospitable terrain.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 03:57 PM   #21
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If the base knows they are coming won't they just move the aliens somewhere else?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:02 PM   #22
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I very much doubt that there would be a massacre, while deadly force can be used, it is the same for all military bases, and as long as anyone dumb enough to go wandering about on a test range doesn't actively threaten any security and does what they are told, then there would be little need for shooting to occur.

I haven't actually been able to find any cases of anyone actually being shot at Area 51, most people seem to be pointing to a case where a guy was shot at a facility south of Area 51, though to be honest when you read what apparently happened, he'd have likely been shot by most police officers too (was chased for 8 miles past the gate, got out of his vehicle carrying a cylindrical object, refused to follow orders, and continued to approach the officers telling him to stop.)

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:31 PM   #23
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
If the base knows they are coming won't they just move the aliens somewhere else?
The aliens were moved decades ago.
Old 15th July 2019, 05:59 PM   #24
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
The aliens were moved decades ago.

Yep, once the autopsies were completed!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 06:08 PM   #25
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Alex Jones needs to interview Trump on the subject.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:12 PM   #26
Axxman300
Illuminator

Back in the early 1990's during my UFO-nut days I drove up to Rachael, Nevada with the idea that I was going to hike up to the top of the closest ridge on public land next to Groom Lake before Clinton's Eminent Domain grab went through.

The joke was on me. That is one serious desert.

First problem the "Assault Force" will have is that they're being told to meet in Armagosa, which is over 40 miles from the base. Rachael and Alamo are the closest "towns" at around 20 miles. There are three access roads, all require 4 wheel drive, and can be easily cut off with a small force (or just concrete barricades). A good ATV comes in handy, but even so you're going to stand on basic IR cameras, and the security will be on you once they figure out you're not turning around. You can't come in from Armagosa because that will take you across the Nuclear Test Range, which is kind of on the radioactive side. Coming in from the south-east takes you across Nellis's practice ranges where they bomb and Brrrrt stuff. It's a bad idea to be an unacknowledged target out there.

Temps this time of year average in the upper 90's (F), and if anyone dies during this stunt it will be from the heat, or snakes, or both.

Okay, let's say you somehow reach the facilities, you can't access any of the buildings, so what's the point of being there? I mean I'm sure their bowling alley, cantina, and Del Taco are nice, but the ones in Vegas are better, and cheaper. And then you still have to sneak out all the way across that desert again.

Anyway, I ended my adventure by gassing up and heading back to Vegas where I won $600, and spent $200 of that on lap-dances. I think I made the smarter move.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:27 PM   #27
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Okay, let's say you somehow reach the facilities, you can't access any of the buildings, so what's the point of being there? I mean I'm sure their bowling alley, cantina, and Del Taco are nice, but the ones in Vegas are better, and cheaper. And then you still have to sneak out all the way across that desert again.

I understand that there is also a Baseball diamond. When I first found this out, I started thinking...hmmmm... if you build it, he will come.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 10:43 PM   #28
Imadeyouthink
Student

Yeah the many problems is the formation of Naruto running stance as if running this way would make them faster than Usain Bolt. Yeah their own running feat would wear some of them out as some are usually never used to these terrains.

So yeah the alien enthusiasts were hyped with that video released i believe last year of an unidentified aircraft and this board of people I do not believe them at all.

Old 15th July 2019, 11:07 PM   #29
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
One would think that would have been done decades ago.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:18 PM   #30
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Okay, we all know it ain't happening. But just for our own amusement let us imagine if about 20,000 of them really did arrive and march across the desert and were now a very large approaching mass about to descend on the base and let us assume some of them were smart enough to bring along powered saws and such to break into locked doors.

What would the Air Force do? Just let them run amok and deal with the fallout later? Do a quick abandon and head south? Go full Tienanmen Square?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:25 PM   #31
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
900,000 people sign an online pledge because it takes a couple seconds, a few dozen people actually show up, maybe, and quickly decide it's too hot and go back to their hotels.
Yeah. We had a Facebook demonstration against austerity measures on the front steps of our parliament building about 10 years ago. 150 000 people registered for it, it got a fair amount of publicityin the news, and the dolts who organized it went on and on about what a mass show of strength it will be if even half of the registered people show up and how the next step will be a general strike.

In reality, about six people and a dog actually did show up. The event literally drew more reporters than demonstrators.
Old 16th July 2019, 07:27 AM   #32
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Okay, we all know it ain't happening. But just for our own amusement let us imagine if about 20,000 of them really did arrive and march across the desert and were now a very large approaching mass about to descend on the base and let us assume some of them were smart enough to bring along powered saws and such to break into locked doors.

What would the Air Force do? Just let them run amok and deal with the fallout later? Do a quick abandon and head south? Go full Tienanmen Square?
Set up tents in the car park and hand out bottles of water as they processed them, then bus them back to Rachael?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 07:31 AM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Anally probe every single one of them - it's what they are there for.
Old 16th July 2019, 08:26 AM   #34
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I've debated so many CTers that I was actually surprised when I learned it was a joke. It genunly sounds like something they would decide to do.

As others point out, of course, not only would next to no one show up, like when they tried to organise massive 9/11 rallies (I remember many of the would-be participants being edgy teens who complained on the forums that their parents wouldn't let them go), but the logistics of organising something involving 500 000 people is ludicrous.
Old 16th July 2019, 08:27 AM   #35
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Where they share beers and cokes and boast about having "sent a message/signal" to the elites and the NWO/Illuminati/Jews/Whathaveyou.
Old 16th July 2019, 09:04 AM   #36
CORed
Philosopher

That sounds about as bright as the Mafia guys in the Monty Python bit, who were trying to shake down the commander of a military base for protection money.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 12:28 PM   #37
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post

The base itself is ringed with state of the art motion sensors, thermal and night vision cameras, and telescopic cameras. To the north there's Tonopah AFB where our stealth drones are based, and they'll probably have one in the air (for training) that week. There is no way to sneak up on the base. They can get a stallion of Marines from 29 Palms there in 90 minutes (less if they have a force on standby), and from there its a matter of CS gas and beanbag shotguns and nightsticks.

Plus there are no airspeed restrictions so the USAF can buzz everyone with low-altitude supersonic "Welcome to Nellis" passes. Sonic booms are loud at normal altitudes, at tree-top they are a religious experience.

Honestly I think the heat will make most people rethink their choices in life.

Edited to add:

Their response will depend on what they have out there. There is technology we will kill to protect simply because it's dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. Back in 1987 anti-war protesters tried to block the railroad tracks of the Concord Naval Weapons Station and were run over by an outgoing train. The train never stopped, suggesting that it carried nuclear warheads (the train had had armed guards standing at the front of the locomotive). Bottom line is that if they can't move the technology housed at Groom Lake they will defend it.

Last edited by Axxman300; 16th July 2019 at 12:37 PM.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 12:44 PM   #38
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I say our boys should give these nutcases a show that they won't forget. Put everything up in the sky at once including those balloons. Thousands of flares and tracers going in every direction. And animal carcasses.
Old 16th July 2019, 02:32 PM   #39
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

And when the "raid" happens, none of them will turn up.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 04:21 PM   #40
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Some funny memes around on this...

[deleted image .. dunno if it is appropriate]

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 16th July 2019 at 04:25 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories