ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 23rd February 2019, 02:02 PM   #1281
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
No. Lee is supposed to be the expert here and Lee says dangerous people who aren’t President are contained and evaluated. Now, Trump was not President for about 70 years of his life and he lived a very public life. Why wasn’t he contained and evaluated before he was President?

Maybe because it was a supremely dumb statement for a mental health professional to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It may be standard practice in psychiatry for dangerous people to be contained and evaluated. This does not imply perfection in that every dangerous person is treated thus. It may be a perfectly reasonable statement if it is standard practice.

In private life Trump was only dangerous financially to those who thought they could get a fair deal from him. In the presidents office Trump is dangerous to much of the world. "if we had them (nukes) why can' we use them?" is not a question a sane man would ask.
Old 23rd February 2019, 02:21 PM   #1282
xjx388
Philosopher

Donald Trump has 'dangerous mental illness', say psychiatry experts at Yale... Pt 2

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Here you go again acting like actual people/professionals agree Trump can't be diagnosed without being a patient.
And there you go again, pretending that a handful of “experts” Trumps the consensus of experts as expressed through both APAs.

Quote:
No, you read a position paper and expanded it in your mind to be what you want it to be.
OR: You are minimizing it to fit your bias.

Quote:
It's pretty clear the majority of professionals that have weighed in
Which is what, like 6 or 7?
Quote:
either agree Trump as NPD or they agree not to say. None of them save one have suggested he doesn't have a pathologic personality disorder or that it can't be determined. Shouldn't be, maybe but can't be, no.
Classic confirmation bias. You hold up a handful of opinions that support you while ignoring the fact that most professionals have not commented on the subject. And you hand wave away the position paper as something I found on Google, as if it has no significance otherwise.

Last edited by xjx388; 23rd February 2019 at 03:08 PM.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 02:24 PM   #1283
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Anyone who doesn't think Trump is a raging narcissist and pathological liar hasn't been paying attention or has drunk so much of the Trump brand Kool Aid that they can't tell their *** from a hole in the ground. I suspect the latter.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 02:35 PM   #1284
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
And yet she is stupid and clueless enough to think that liars and narcissists somehow normally get swept up and taken into the mental health system. As I said, she sounds like a naive person who hasn’t had much life experience.
Over the top, maybe, but I believe her point is that many of Trump's "lies" are actually delusions -- a mental illness on top of his obvious personality disorders -- to the point that he appears to be living in an alternate reality, not just spinning one for the cameras. I think she's right.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 03:15 PM   #1285
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Over the top, maybe, but I believe her point is that many of Trump's "lies" are actually delusions -- a mental illness on top of his obvious personality disorders -- to the point that he appears to be living in an alternate reality, not just spinning one for the cameras. I think she's right.

Of course you do! She is confirming your biases. Kinda like when Edgar Mitchell is cited as an authority on the subject of UFOs. I mean, that guy is an astronaut!

Old 23rd February 2019, 03:49 PM   #1286
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Of course you do! She is confirming your biases.
She is stating one highly plausible "theory" for what I can see with my own eyes. You haven't.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 04:24 PM   #1287
Bob001
Philosopher

No. Lee is supposed to be the expert here and Lee says dangerous people who aren’t President are contained and evaluated. Now, Trump was not President for about 70 years of his life and he lived a very public life. Why wasn’t he contained and evaluated before he was President?

Maybe because it was a supremely dumb statement for a mental health professional to make?
Or maybe because in his previous life as a small-time shyster he wasn't able to exercise the vast powers of the Presidency over the nation and the world. He wasn't dangerous when he couldn't act on his delusions; now he can.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 04:25 PM   #1288
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think she meant, "if Donald Trump were anyone other than the president of the United States, he would already be contained and evaluated."

Because that's what she said.

Same.

The great thing is that the poster was kind enough to link the article above, so we can all read it in context.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 04:33 PM   #1289
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Anyone who doesn't think Trump is a raging narcissist and pathological liar hasn't been paying attention or has drunk so much of the Trump brand Kool Aid that they can't tell their *** from a hole in the ground. I suspect the latter.
I know. And it's just as stupid to claim the majority of psychologists and psychiatrists can't see how obvious that diagnosis is because there are only a few people commenting publicly.

As for dangerous, now he's threatening to invade Venezuela, trying to equate it with Cuba which I remind people, Obama tried to normalize relations with, so Trump's typical pattern is to do any and everything if it means more getting even with Obama for embarrassing Trump at the Correspondent's dinner. Trump has even dug into the Iran-Contra days for someone to advise him on the banana republic days.
Old 23rd February 2019, 05:13 PM   #1290
Bob001
Philosopher

Another detailed guide to Trump:

Quote:
Here, in roughly chronological order, are the six essential cons around which Trump has built and sustained his success:

Con No. 1: To borrow billions, Trump lies to inflate his net worth.
Con No. 2: To avoid taxes, Trump lies to deflate his net worth.
Con No. 3: To be a winner, Trump makes losers of those he does business with.
Con No. 4: To win in politics, Trump makes voters believe that his presidency benefits them.
Con No. 5: To avoid accountability, Trump makes the media, and truth, the “enemy of the people.”
Con No. 6: To stoke fear, Trump recasts perpetrators as victims.

And the writer concludes with this:
Quote:
Fear of a fascist future is what led me to write my new dystopian novel, “America 2034: Utopia Rising,” a spinoff of “1984” set in Trump’s nightmarish fifth term as President for Life. The story opens by describing how Trump declares his second state of emergency the day before the 2020 election, ordering a communications blackout to take control of polling places nationwide. This cautionary tale reflects what I fear may be Trump’s seventh, and most far-reaching, scam: conning Americans out of our democracy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.e22cd467f9ab

Last edited by Bob001; 23rd February 2019 at 05:15 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:52 PM   #1291
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

:rolleyes

Oh lord...

We’re goin’ off the rails on a
Crazy Train

Old 24th February 2019, 03:45 AM   #1292
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Oh lord...

Crazy Train

I wonder how many times someone in the White House has said exactly that. But we've reached this weird state where it doesn't matter if the president is insane because he's the president.
Old 24th February 2019, 09:00 AM   #1293
Bob001
Philosopher

Oh lord...

Crazy Train

Read what the President can do after he declares an emergency, and let us know if you're still laughing.
Quote:
The moment the president declares a “national emergency”—a decision that is entirely within his discretion—more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power. For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...powers/576418/
Old 24th February 2019, 09:13 AM   #1294
Lurch
Muse

Which is better?

A President doing 'questionable' things because of a mental condition he has little or no power to control? Or a President doing these things with full cognition and intent?

Of course, for Thrumpists there's no such question to ask here; they see--or pretend to see--the naked emperor fully clothed. No mental defect *and* everything's above board.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2019, 09:14 AM   #1295
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Read what the President can do after he declares an emergency, and let us know if you're still laughing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...powers/576418/
Weren't all those powers already unlocked by the existing emergencies he inherited when he took office?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2019, 09:57 PM   #1296
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Here's an example of Trump's delusions of infallibility and inability to process information that conflicts with it: He simply refuses to understand that "Memorandum of Understanding" (MOU) is the legal term for a trade agreement, which is not as he apparently misunderstands it to be something like a Letter of Intent. When it's explained to him that it is indeed a contract, he just rejects that information.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Now, consider that this is also how he is processing everything from economic data to national security intel.
Old 24th February 2019, 10:46 PM   #1297
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Here's an example of Trump's delusions of infallibility and inability to process information that conflicts with it: He simply refuses to understand that "Memorandum of Understanding" (MOU) is the legal term for a trade agreement, which is not as he apparently misunderstands it to be something like a Letter of Intent. When it's explained to him that it is indeed a contract, he just rejects that information.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Now, consider that this is also how he is processing everything from economic data to national security intel.
Did you hear Pence guffaw in pain when Donny pipes up with his nonsense?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 07:52 AM   #1298
carlitos
"más divertido"

Are you ******* kidding me? Like the cherry on top of the dessert, the author gives away the game by plugging his imaginary dystopian story about Trump's nightmarish fifth term? Jesus, the black helicopter crowd said this about Clinton, and the lefty 9/11 truthers said it about Bush. Trump isn't going to abolish democracy, people. This is just conspiracy wanking and catastrophizing from people who lack the maturity to deal with reality.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 07:54 AM   #1299
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Did you hear Pence guffaw in pain when Donny pipes up with his nonsense?
That was Chinese Vice-Premier Liu He, not Pence.
Old 25th February 2019, 10:03 AM   #1300
Bob001
Philosopher

Are you ******* kidding me? Like the cherry on top of the dessert, the author gives away the game by plugging his imaginary dystopian story about Trump's nightmarish fifth term? Jesus, the black helicopter crowd said this about Clinton, and the lefty 9/11 truthers said it about Bush. Trump isn't going to abolish democracy, people. This is just conspiracy wanking and catastrophizing from people who lack the maturity to deal with reality.
Yeah, the book sounds over the top. But the article is a detailed factual account of Trump's life-long fraud and corruption. Three years ago, no one imagined that somebody like him could be elected President.
Old 25th February 2019, 11:58 AM   #1301
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Which is better?

A President doing 'questionable' things because of a mental condition he has little or no power to control? Or a President doing these things with full cognition and intent?

Of course, for Thrumpists there's no such question to ask here; they see--or pretend to see--the naked emperor fully clothed. No mental defect *and* everything's above board.
I sometimes wonder whether the bulk of Trump supporters will ever understand that he was never wearing any clothes and that they just imagined him to be dressed.
Old 25th February 2019, 12:13 PM   #1302
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the book sounds over the top. But the article is a detailed factual account of Trump's life-long fraud and corruption. Three years ago, no one imagined that somebody like him could be elected President.
No one imagined that someone who made a career of fraud and corruption could rise to the highest tiers of the political class?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 12:14 PM   #1303
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I sometimes wonder whether the bulk of Trump supporters will ever understand that he was never wearing any clothes and that they just imagined him to be dressed.
I think you're still underestimating the number of people who went into the 2016 election thinking, "it's well past time this country had a naked president for a change."
Old 26th February 2019, 04:18 PM   #1304
Bob001
Philosopher

No one imagined that someone who made a career of fraud and corruption could rise to the highest tiers of the political class?
Corrupt leaders have run city political machines, and even sometimes whole states, like Huey Long in Louisiana. But the U.S. is so big and interests across the nation are so varied and competitive that it was hard to imagine someone like Trump becoming President. The Republican leadership and powerful Republican officials -- the Bushes, McCain, Romney, Cruz, even Lindsay Graham -- were outspoken in their opposition. National security officials from both parties warned against him. The National Review and other conservative outlets raged against him. Almost all major newspapers -- even ones that had never before supported a Democratic candidate -- either endorsed Clinton or didn't endorse anybody. Trump's history of cheating customers and suppliers, his bankruptcies, his tax evasion, his brutal bigotry, his assaults on women, were all in plain view. And yet somehow a big percentage of the electorate decided that none of that mattered as much as Hillary Clinton's emails.

That's what's hard to fathom.
Old 26th February 2019, 11:23 PM   #1305
Lurch
Muse

Corrupt leaders have run city political machines, and even sometimes whole states, like Huey Long in Louisiana. But the U.S. is so big and interests across the nation are so varied and competitive that it was hard to imagine someone like Trump becoming President. The Republican leadership and powerful Republican officials -- the Bushes, McCain, Romney, Cruz, even Lindsay Graham -- were outspoken in their opposition. National security officials from both parties warned against him. The National Review and other conservative outlets raged against him. Almost all major newspapers -- even ones that had never before supported a Democratic candidate -- either endorsed Clinton or didn't endorse anybody. Trump's history of cheating customers and suppliers, his bankruptcies, his tax evasion, his brutal bigotry, his assaults on women, were all in plain view. And yet somehow a big percentage of the electorate decided that none of that mattered as much as Hillary Clinton's emails.

That's what's hard to fathom.
If Trump managed to get the planet into a hot nuclear war, as the radiation-ravaged Thrumpists endure their agony they'd probably still be thankful Hillary didn't win.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2019, 11:26 PM   #1306
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That makes more sense. Pence is always in Trump-worship mode and wouldn't laugh at Trump.
Old 26th February 2019, 11:36 PM   #1307
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Then it is even worse for Trump. And Pence. The Vice-Premier understood the situation much faster and better than either of them.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That makes more sense. Pence is always in Trump-worship mode and wouldn't laugh at Trump.
He doesn't want to spoil ANY chance of taking Donny's job in the near future. And getting truculent Donny mad is a sure way to get fired fast in that office.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:36 AM   #1308
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Then it is even worse for Trump. And Pence. The Vice-Premier understood the situation much faster and better than either of them.

He doesn't want to spoil ANY chance of taking Donny's job in the near future. And getting truculent Donny mad is a sure way to get fired fast in that office.
I just note that the President can't fire the VP. In fact, under the 25th Amendment, the VP could organize action to remove the President.
Old 28th February 2019, 09:13 PM   #1309
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

I wonder how many times someone in the White House has said exactly that.
But we've reached this weird state where it doesn't matter if the president is
insane because he's the president.

The adults in the room can handle the unrealism and the insanity.

I do worry, however, that his doctors might give into the temptation
to prescribe antipsychotics and change his mood and personality.

If he responds to a guy shouting his name by saying,
"Who are you? I have dementia." Then run, and I mean run for safety
as the worse will soon happen.

P.S. It's rumored that strong dose of Hitler's Acid (Orthocarbonic Acid)
might counteract some of the negative effects of the antipsychotics,
but only if given in time.
Old 28th February 2019, 09:50 PM   #1310
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I think you're still underestimating the number of people who went into the 2016 election thinking, "it's well past time this country had a naked president for a change."

Perhaps so, Theprestige, perhaps so.

There were a lot of folks who wanted to send a big F. YOU to Washington.

Last edited by Ladewig; 28th February 2019 at 09:57 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 09:55 PM   #1311
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I just note that the President can't fire the VP. In fact, under the 25th Amendment, the VP could organize action to remove the President.
I do not want to be the guy who tries to explain to President Trump why he cannot fire a person who was elected to office. The guy couldn’t even grasp the definition of a MOU.
Old 28th February 2019, 10:37 PM   #1312
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
I do worry, however, that his doctors might give into the temptation
to prescribe antipsychotics and change his mood and personality.
Never happen. Trump would have to accept care and people with certain pathological personality disorders like narcissism usually don't.
Old 4th March 2019, 11:27 PM   #1313
Bob001
Philosopher

Another psychiatrist weighs in:
Quote:
Mr. Trump is a sociopath, in that he meets every diagnostic criterion for the official diagnostic term “Antisocial Personality Disorder.” The fact that this is a personality disorder, rather than simply a single symptom such as anxiety or depression, means that all his actions are signs of this severe, continuous, mental disturbance.

To understand his actions, it is essential to keep in mind that sociopaths have only one goal: to enhance themselves, and that in pursuing their self-interest, they lack both normal human empathy for others and a normal human conscience. Cheating, conning, lying, stealing, threatening are all done with no remorse.

When stressed with facts that would require them to admit failure, or even that others know more or are more capable than them, sociopaths lose track of reality, becoming delusional with insistence on the truth of what they psychologically need to maintain their superior view of themselves. Indeed, nobody matters except to the degree they can serve the sociopath’s personal needs.

That’s why loyalty is demanded, but as soon as an associate disagrees, the sociopath turns on them with a fury; there was never a real relationship to begin with.
https://www.salon.com/2019/03/04/har...bance_partner/
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/har...l-disturbance/

Last edited by Bob001; 4th March 2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 4th March 2019, 11:59 PM   #1314
Stacyhs
Philosopher

That sums up Trump exactly. We've all seen him viciously turn on anyone who did not crawl so far up his ass that a search and rescue team had to be sent out. He is the poster child for APD.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2019, 07:25 AM   #1315
carlitos
"más divertido"

I was thinking that Trump was a sociopath on my morning commute today. Great minds, I guess.
Old 5th March 2019, 08:47 AM   #1316
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That sums up Trump exactly. We've all seen him viciously turn on anyone who did not crawl so far up his ass that a search and rescue team had to be sent out. He is the poster child for APD.
Wow. NPD *and* APD! What are the odds?
Old 5th March 2019, 08:54 AM   #1317
carlitos
"más divertido"

He's like a psychological Rorschach test. Or a crash test dummy for armchair shrinks.
Old 5th March 2019, 09:03 AM   #1318
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

At this point I'm not so interested in the repeated protestations of Trump's craziness anymore. I get it. It's not like you're going to change your mind. I'm not not going to change mine.

But what I am interested in is the reasoning behind the proposed 25th Amendment solution. Dr Lee seems to think that there's a direct connection between the diagnosis and removing the president from office. But my reading of the 25th Amendment is that it doesn't work that way.

Has Dr Lee explained her proposal in any detail anywhere? Is anyone else in this thread prepared to explain how it would work?
Old 5th March 2019, 09:38 AM   #1319
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

I was thinking that Trump was a sociopath on my morning commute today. Great minds, I guess.
That's the "malignant" part of the diagnosis of "malignant narcissistic personality disorder" -- dishonesty and self-serving behavior with a lack of empathy or remorse. Having symptoms of multiple personality disorders is called "comorbidity."
Old 5th March 2019, 09:44 AM   #1320
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

At this point I'm not so interested in the repeated protestations of Trump's craziness anymore. I get it. It's not like you're going to change your mind. I'm not not going to change mine.

But what I am interested in is the reasoning behind the proposed 25th Amendment solution. Dr Lee seems to think that there's a direct connection between the diagnosis and removing the president from office. But my reading of the 25th Amendment is that it doesn't work that way.

Has Dr Lee explained her proposal in any detail anywhere? Is anyone else in this thread prepared to explain how it would work?
I'm not sure what you're asking. If the VP and a majority of the cabinet decide that Trump's mental illness prevents him from properly carrying out his duties as president, then they can invoke the 25th. It Trump disagrees, he can object and have Congress vote on it. No objective criteria is specified, so it's pretty much a political decision, like impeachment.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics