IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:25 PM   #201
Old coarse guy
Banned

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Why?
Because I presume that Shyam Sunder didn't just pick the number out of the air when he said over 15 storeys, then again, NIST are well known for picking numbers out of the air, so who knows.
Old coarse guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:25 PM   #202
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Why?
Don't you feel a need to know details when making a determination?
Tony Szamboti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:26 PM   #203
Old coarse guy
Banned

Exactly Tony, yes.
Old coarse guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:27 PM   #204
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Old coarse guy View Post
Because I presume that Shyam Sunder didn't just pick the number out of the air when he said over 15 storeys, then again, NIST are well known for picking numbers out of the air, so who knows.
I'm not seeing your point. Does it matter if the building was 14 floors as apposed to 17?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:28 PM   #205
Old coarse guy
Banned

I'm not seeing your point. Does it matter if the building was 14 floors as apposed to 17?
Apparently to NIST and Shyam Sunder, it does. Yes.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:29 PM   #206
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Tony Szamboti View Post
In the definition of a "highrise" in this context? Yes.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:30 PM   #207
Old coarse guy
Banned

In the definition of a "highrise" in this context? Yes.
Sorry to butt in DGM, but do you consider this building to be a high rise, in so far as NIST defined the term ?
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:31 PM   #208
Whip
Graduate Poster

lol. that is one stretch of a strawman.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:31 PM   #209
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Focusing on details while missing the big picture is the core and foundation of the failure that your past eight years have been.

DGM's question "why" is spot on: Why would Old Coarse Guy need the number of storeys, rather than the number of windows, thickness of walls, color of carpets or chirality of stairs?
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:32 PM   #210
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Apparently to NIST and Shyam Sunder, it does. Yes.
So it"s OK for a building below 14 floors to collapse due to fire because it's not a "highrise"? Above that it can't happen?

Old 22nd January 2017, 05:33 PM   #211
Old coarse guy
Banned

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
lol. that is one stretch of a strawman.
NOt at all. Shyam Sunder clearly stated that the collapse of a high rise was unprecedented and defined that as over 15 storeys. Seems pretty clear to me.
So is this building a high rise or not, in terms of NIST's definition ?
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:34 PM   #212
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

In a sense it does yes. Shyam Sunder made a statement that no high rise had ever fallen etc etc. He went on to mention that this classification was for buildings of over 15 storeys if my memory serves correctly.
Perhaps you should verify this first.

If my memory serves correctly, you are mistaken.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:36 PM   #213
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Quote:
The Plasco Building (Persian: ساختمان پلاسکو‎‎, Sakhteman-e Pelasko) was a 17-story high-rise building in Tehran, the capital city of Iran.
At the time of its construction in the 1960s it was the tallest building in Iran,[1] and was considered an iconic landmark of the Tehran skyline.[2] The building collapsed on 19 January 2017 during a fire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasco_Building
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:36 PM   #214
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

NOt at all. Shyam Sunder clearly stated that the collapse of a high rise was unprecedented and defined that as over 15 storeys. Seems pretty clear to me.
So is this building a high rise or not, in terms of NIST's definition ?
So what?
If this is a highrise according to Sunder's alleged definition (which you pulled out of the blue sky, I believe), then his alleged statement remains true: the WTC events are unprecedented as highrise collapses. Has a little something to do with the meaning of the word "precedent". Do you know what the prefix "pre-" means?
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:36 PM   #215
applecorped
Banned

Sniff, sniff
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:37 PM   #216
The Big Dog

It was 17 stories and 42 meters high

Last edited by The Big Dog; 22nd January 2017 at 05:39 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:39 PM   #217
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Tony, really?

Even for you this is lame and obviously hypocritical

Last edited by DGM; 22nd January 2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:43 PM   #218
Old coarse guy
Banned

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Perhaps you should verify this first.

If my memory serves correctly, you are mistaken.
I may be old and coarse, but my memory is apparently still ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IkiLxdn-5Q
@32s Shyam Sunder says "this is the first time that we are aware of that a building over seven....fifteen storeys tall, has collapsed primarily due to fire."
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:44 PM   #219
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I may be old and coarse, but my memory is apparently still ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IkiLxdn-5Q
@32s Shyam Sunder says "this is the first time that we are aware of that a building over seven....fifteen storeys tall, has collapsed primarily due to fire."
..........and? (leading to my question of why)

Old 22nd January 2017, 05:44 PM   #220
Old coarse guy
Banned

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It was 17 stories and 42 meters high
8.1ft doesn't seem very high for a storey does it ?
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:45 PM   #221
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Tony, really?

Even for you this is lame and obviously hypocritical
I looked at various articles and some said 17 stories and others 15. When counting the stories above ground in photos it is 15.

The story height is important and if 42 meters (137.76 feet) is right then 17 stories can't work as it is only 8.12 feet per story.

I am looking at this collapse with a critical eye and engineers usually worry about details when doing analyses. I don't see how it is hypocritical at all.

Last edited by Tony Szamboti; 22nd January 2017 at 05:47 PM.
Tony Szamboti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:46 PM   #222
Old coarse guy
Banned

..........and? (leading to my question of why)
...and I was asked to verify it, and I did. Shyam Sunder did indeed say this.
So do you think that this building was a high rise in the stated definition that NIST gave ?
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:46 PM   #223
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I looked at various articles and some said 17 stories and others 15. When counting the stories above ground in photos it is 15.

The story height is important and if 42 meters (137.76 feet) is right then 17 stories can't work as it is only 8.12 feet per story.

Engineers usually worry about details.
This matters how?

Old 22nd January 2017, 05:47 PM   #224
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

...and I was asked to verify it, and I did. Shyam Sunder did indeed say this.
So do you think that this building was a high rise in the stated definition that NIST gave ?
It matters how?

Old 22nd January 2017, 05:47 PM   #225
The Big Dog

well it is 17 stories.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:48 PM   #226
Old coarse guy
Banned

well it is 17 stories.
I don't think so. Not at 42M.
We might just as well say that the towers were 116 storeys then. Doesn't mean that they were 116 storeys above ground though. And that is the classification.

Last edited by Old coarse guy; 22nd January 2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: 142 changed to 42m
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:49 PM   #227
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

well it is 17 stories.
It certainly is not 17 stories above ground.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:49 PM   #228
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I don't think so. Not at 142M.
We might just as well say that the towers were 116 storeys then. Doesn't mean that they were 116 storeys above ground though. And that is the classification.
And it matters how?

Old 22nd January 2017, 05:51 PM   #229
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

It certainly is not 17 stories above ground.
So?

Old 22nd January 2017, 05:52 PM   #230
pgimeno
Illuminator

I count 16 in this photo: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...anbul_intc.jpg
pgimeno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:53 PM   #231
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Who counts basements as stories?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:53 PM   #232
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

So?
Some apparently didn't get that detail right. Sort of reminds of the NIST report with the girder seat width of 11 inches and the max lateral travel of 5.5 inches when the seat was actually 12 inches wide. It does matter.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:53 PM   #233
Old coarse guy
Banned

Originally Posted by pgimeno View Post
So you agree that Shyam said "over 15 storeys" presumably ?

Do you agree that the building was 42m high ?
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:54 PM   #234
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I count (at least) 15 storeys above ground.

This matters how? What would be importantly different if it had 17 or 14 storeys?
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:54 PM   #235
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Tony:

I'll give you a pass if you're a Packers fan and drunk............

Old 22nd January 2017, 05:54 PM   #236
Old coarse guy
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Who counts basements as stories?
Apparently the CTBUH do.

http://skyscrapercenter.com/building...building/28320
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:55 PM   #237
Whip
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Engineers usually worry about details.
you mean like planes flying into buildings,
those buildings collapsing and damaging other buildings, causing fires that make those buildings collapse?
Those kinda details?

Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:55 PM   #238
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgimeno View Post
It is 15 in that photo. Count window lines and where there are air conditioners for the top 14 floors and you will see just one story below.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:55 PM   #239
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Some apparently didn't get that detail right. Sort of reminds of the NIST report with the girder seat width of 11 inches and the max lateral travel of 5.5 inches when the seat was actually 12 inches wide. It does matter.
This pertains to this collapse or the floor count how?

Last edited by DGM; 22nd January 2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:55 PM   #240
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Some apparently didn't get that detail right. Sort of reminds of the NIST report with the girder seat width of 11 inches and the max lateral travel of 5.5 inches when the seat was actually 12 inches wide. It does not matter.
I inserted a word that you forgot.

You haven't explained yet why either matters. You just say it does.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories