IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 23 31.51%
No 35 47.95%
I don't know 15 20.55%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th September 2021, 06:47 PM   #3521
Joecool
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Seriously Gaetan, get help. You are clearly delusional. Please go to a doctor.
Gaetan believes in genies and djinns. That could explain a part of this.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2021, 08:16 AM   #3522
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Gaetan believes in genies and djinns. That could explain a part of this.
He also believes that sleep aids, the ones that work, are trying to kill him. I think that explains much more.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:09 PM   #3523
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

He has previously stated that he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia which basically explains everything. Including the oscillation between clearly literate and functionally illiterate writing. The sprits, genies, djinns, aliens and what have you are apparently his rationalization for not accepting treatment. As he would lose those visual and auditory hallucinations that he perceives as other worldly beings. Also explains his distain for pharmacology in preference to supplements. The former seeks to remove what makes him 'special' (what he perceives as contact with, or simply perception of, those other worldly beings) while the later does not.

Gaetan, I once again seriously and strenuously recommend you seek professional help. While at present you don't appear to be a direct danger to yourself or anyone else. indulging, let alone basically leaning into, a psychotic disorder is probably the worst of all options.

Peer reviewed Studies: Delaying Treatment leads to poorer recovery and prognosis

Last edited by The Man; 3rd October 2021 at 12:10 PM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:15 PM   #3524
Joecool
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
He has previously stated that he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia which basically explains everything. Including the oscillation between clearly literate and functionally illiterate writing. The sprits, genies, djinns, aliens and what have you are apparently his rationalization for not accepting treatment. As he would lose those visual and auditory hallucinations that he perceives as other worldly beings. Also explains his distain for pharmacology in preference to supplements. The former seeks to remove what makes him 'special' (what he perceives as contact with, or simply perception of, those other worldly beings) while the later does not.

Gaetan, I once again seriously and strenuously recommend you seek professional help. While at present you don't appear to be a direct danger to yourself or anyone else. indulging, let alone basically leaning into, a psychotic disorder is probably the worst of all options.

Peer reviewed Studies: Delaying Treatment leads to poorer recovery and prognosis

Totally agreed. Gaetan started this no money fantasy based on a book called "Utopia" written by Sir Thomas More in the 1500's.

You can find a summary of this book on wikipedia.

Ironically, Utopia had money, slaves and the residents were all generic, wearing the same clothes, having the same family size, even if that meant ripping babies from their mother's arms to balance out the size of families.

Residents of Utopia weren't allowed to travel and they had very little freedom.

Being in prison is similar to living in Utopia in my opinion.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 12:24 PM   #3525
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Totally agreed. Gaetan started this no money fantasy based on a book called "Utopia" written by Sir Thomas More in the 1500's.

You can find a summary of this book on wikipedia.

Ironically, Utopia had money, slaves and the residents were all generic, wearing the same clothes, having the same family size, even if that meant ripping babies from their mother's arms to balance out the size of families.

Residents of Utopia weren't allowed to travel and they had very little freedom.

Being in prison is similar to living in Utopia in my opinion.
More had many good qualities,no doubt, but along with what was mentioned above, one might consult Foxe's Book of Martyrs. Although the section on Tyndale is, in some ways, an unexpectedly humorous one, it does not come out so well, since, as I recall, More and the bishop of London conspired to have William Tyndale kidnapped from Holland and burned at the stake for the heresy of translating the Bible.

Hey Bubba, do you read the Bible in the original Latin?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 12:56 PM   #3526
Gaetan
Illuminator

i see that you members of services watching people are corrupted to the bone
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 01:00 PM   #3527
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Gaetan we don't work for the security services. Please seek help.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 01:02 PM   #3528
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
i see that you members of services watching people are corrupted to the bone
Yes, bruto does owe you an apology for the suggestion that you've actually read the bible. I mean if you've done that, you couldn't google and then assert your own opinion.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 01:37 PM   #3529
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Gaetan we don't work for the security services. Please seek help.
Yeah, that is right out there as a claim. Gish gallop? Deflection? It will be one of those.

But then one must consider that Gaetan signed up for membership here all of his lonesome. Nobody made him join against his will. He came here of his own free will to convert anyone and everyone to his own borked way of thinking, if one can call it that, and he has failed to win a single convert.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 01:46 PM   #3530
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
he has failed to win a single convert.
I won that debate widely, it just take a few people to make a revolution and i won more than i need, i am not really sure if you fellows exist your post could just be out of a dirty agency computer.

Last edited by Gaetan; 6th October 2021 at 01:47 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 02:38 PM   #3531
Leftus
Master Poster

I won that debate widely, it just take a few people to make a revolution and i won more than i need, i am not really sure if you fellows exist your post could just be out of a dirty agency computer.
Hey, my agency computer is totally clean. But, I again, assure you that you aren't that important.
Old 7th October 2021, 08:07 AM   #3532
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Hey, my agency computer is totally clean. But, I again, assure you that you aren't that important.
If you would have education you would say that servant are the most important people, the Gospels say that God is a servant.
Old 7th October 2021, 10:02 AM   #3533
Leftus
Master Poster

If you would have education you would say that servant are the most important people, the Gospels say that God is a servant.
Well, it's in English lit, but it was signed by Arnold Schwarzenegger so who knows.

Not sure how your response is in any way a meaningful response to me, but, again, let me stress, I'm more watched by the government than you. I even have to report what I do to the government. You don't make the list, BTW, no time code for responding to Gaetan, but there is for breaks, but whatever.

More, relatively high ranking government employees, know about my dog than know about you.

Last edited by Leftus; 7th October 2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 7th October 2021, 10:33 AM   #3534
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

This is gibberish. Again. God isn't real.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 10:44 AM   #3535
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

No you didn't. Your belief system, just like your religion, has a membership of one.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 10:54 AM   #3536
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I won that debate widely,
You "won" nothing. Your arguments, such as they are got exposed. You do not like that much, but that is the reality.

it just take a few people to make a revolution and i won more than i need,
But your argument won nobody over.

i am not really sure if you fellows exist your post could just be out of a dirty agency computer.
great. So I can claim you are a soviet spy and you just have to accept that fact.

Right?

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 11:22 AM   #3537
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

This is gibberish. Again. God isn't real.
Consider what was claimed. Servants are the most important people? Because why?

And GOD is a servant? Because why?

All the "omnis" are right out at that point.

Were I to hazard a guess, Gaetan's version of god is all
powerful when convenient.

Or not, when inconvenient

Old 7th October 2021, 02:41 PM   #3538
junkshop
Critical Thinker

Location: Under the bed. Whose bed, you ask? That would be telling...sleep tight.
...it just take a few people to make a revolution and i won more than i need...
Cool, when's your revolution happening? I want to put it in my calendar, wouldn't want to miss the fireworks!

Last edited by junkshop; 7th October 2021 at 02:42 PM. Reason: The curse of the fatfingers strikes again
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 07:22 PM   #3539
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I won that debate widely, it just take a few people to make a revolution and i won more than i need,
Sorry to interrupt your runon sentence, but will the revolution be televised?
Quote:
i am not really sure if you fellows exist your post could just be out of a dirty agency computer.
You do yourself far far too much credit. The dirty agencies do not bother to post here. Nor do they argue, nor ask nor plead. When the dirty agency comes for you, you will know it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 02:20 AM   #3540
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Sorry to interrupt your runon sentence, but will the revolution be televised?
Oh, well played.

I only come back to this thread from time to time to see whether Gaetan has made any progress either in converting anyone to their own point of view or taking on board any of the arguments against that point of view. I note that the answer to both questions is a resounding "No".

There is possibly a discussion to be had, particularly in the context of a post-scarcity society much beloved of science fiction but sadly that has proved not to be the case.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 06:37 AM   #3541
Leftus
Master Poster

Debate? You've never addressed a single point, just re-asserted your claims. There was never a debate and if there were, you didn't engage in it so how do you claim you won it?

Or is this one of those words you've got your own definition of?
Old 9th October 2021, 06:50 AM   #3542
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

By that same token, how are you sure that your "few people" converts exist and are not just "out of a dirty agency computer"?

If you "won more than" you "need" why ain't your "revolution" happening yet?
Old 9th October 2021, 06:56 AM   #3543
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

It also says to serve god (Christ)

https://www.openbible.info/topics/serving_god

Quote:
Colossians 3:23-24 ESV / 410 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

Deuteronomy 13:4 ESV / 184 helpful votes
You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear him and keep his commandments and obey his voice, and you shall serve him and hold fast to him.

Malachi 3:18 ESV / 159 helpful votes
Then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve him.

Colossians 3:23 ESV / 144 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
Old 9th October 2021, 05:52 PM   #3544
Joecool
Master Poster

I won that debate widely, it just take a few people to make a revolution and i won more than i need
Gaetan, I used money yesterday, I used money today and I'm going to use money tomorrow and beyond.

What exactly did you win?
Old 10th October 2021, 06:24 AM   #3545
Gaetan
Illuminator

He has said, a few times, you will be required to work to participate in society. Of course, he will not define work or a time frame, and refuses the idea of a gatekeeper, or any accounting to define who is adding to society and who is taking from it.
I think we should replace the word work by play because voluntary work is not really work but a pleasure for those doing it.
Old 10th October 2021, 06:26 AM   #3546
Gaetan
Illuminator

It also says to serve god (Christ)

https://www.openbible.info/topics/serving_god
What is not teached by Jesus Christ doesn't come from God
Old 10th October 2021, 06:28 AM   #3547
Gaetan
Illuminator

Gaetan, I used money yesterday, I used money today and I'm going to use money tomorrow and beyond.

It is a custom for you, you can't imagine a free world when you' ve always be a slave.
Old 10th October 2021, 06:44 AM   #3548
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

So, you have forgotten the assertion about serving two masters already?

Quote:
Luke 16:13.

“No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabl...Unjust_Steward

So which is it, that it doesn't come from god so we need not heed it, or it comes from god and he is insisting we serve him and nothing else?

Once again it is simply your own assertions that oppose, well, your own assertions.
Old 10th October 2021, 06:49 AM   #3549
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

It is a custom for you, you can't imagine a free world when you' ve always be a slave.
What happened to your converts and your revolution? Are you claiming they are simply imaginary now?

Joecool's point wasn't about imagination but simply that your stated revolution was evidently not happening. Heck, given that you still use money your asserted revolution ain't even happening just for you.
Old 10th October 2021, 07:06 AM   #3550
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I think we should replace the word work by play because voluntary work is not really work but a pleasure for those doing it.
No work is still work even when voluntary. In many cases still a serious, stressful and strenuous undertaking. Voluntary work becomes neither a pleasure nor play simply by being voluntary. What voluntary work do you currently perform?
Old 10th October 2021, 09:18 AM   #3551
Leftus
Master Poster

Yeah, no. I do not in any way, take pleasure from the work I do. I'm mostly bored silly. But I'm paid fairly well so I suck it up and do it. Let me ask you, how much should I get paid for playing video games, or watching YouTube? How much am I adding to the economy doing those activities?

What you continue to fail to understand that you are paid, more or less, on what you can add to the marketplace. There are some exceptions, of course, but if you've got some resources, that others don't have, you can earn more than minimum wage or work more than entry level jobs.
Old 10th October 2021, 11:25 AM   #3552
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

So the ten commandments are out. Jebus endorsed five and I know which. You do not.

ETA: There are 613 commandments. Gaetan does not know that either. Because he has not read his magic book.

Last edited by abaddon; 10th October 2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10th October 2021, 11:30 AM   #3553
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

But your god is in favour of slavery. It says so in your magic book

Old 10th October 2021, 05:12 PM   #3554
Gaetan
Illuminator

So, you have forgotten the assertion about serving two masters already?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabl...Unjust_Steward

So which is it, that it doesn't come from god so we need not heed it, or it comes from god and he is insisting we serve him and nothing else?

Once again it is simply your own assertions that oppose, well, your own assertions.
That's what i said, servants are the greatest and they are the real kings. People with education understand that.
Old 10th October 2021, 05:15 PM   #3555
Gaetan
Illuminator

Yeah, no. I do not in any way, take pleasure from the work I do. I'm mostly bored silly. But I'm paid fairly well so I suck it up and do it. Let me ask you, how much should I get paid for playing video games, or watching YouTube? How much am I adding to the economy doing those activities?

What you continue to fail to understand that you are paid, more or less, on what you can add to the marketplace. There are some exceptions, of course, but if you've got some resources, that others don't have, you can earn more than minimum wage or work more than entry level jobs.
i presume that you are fully vaccinated to get your money slave
Old 10th October 2021, 05:26 PM   #3556
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
So the ten commandments are out. Jebus endorsed five and I know which. You do not.
Mark 10.18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[d]”
Old 10th October 2021, 05:32 PM   #3557
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Mark 10.18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[d]”
What do you make of the other 608 he left out for some reason?

Old 10th October 2021, 06:18 PM   #3558
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Is there a reason why you can't answer this question?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 01:23 PM   #3559
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

That's what i said, servants are the greatest and they are the real kings. People with education understand that.
No that is not what you said, you said god was a servant. Yet Christ said god is the only master you should serve.

So again, which is it?

Again, even people without education understand that simply contradicting one's self means no one can agree with you. Because you just can't even agree with simply yourself.
Old 11th October 2021, 02:12 PM   #3560
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I can understand believing that those who are usually fated to be servants are the best people, but a world in which those people are actually servants is, then, fatally flawed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance