IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 9th January 2021, 03:16 PM   #561
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I say try it and see if it works
I'm not disagreeing. I'm just examining the law.
Old 9th January 2021, 03:21 PM   #562
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm not disagreeing. I'm just examining the law.
I think there's no precedent for this, so it's hard to say. It does seem as if a conviction would cancel Trump's presidency, and all the benefits that flow from it, whether he's in office or not. I'd like to see more analysis on this myself.

IE, What would be the point of permitting impeachment after a president left office if it had no meaning?

Last edited by eerok; 9th January 2021 at 03:23 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #563
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

The Former Presidents Act does say that a President who is removed is not entitled to the pension. But the question I have is does that apply to a President who was convicted but obviously not removed after his term has been completed.
Perhaps the pension could be deposited in a prison account? Trump would never want for packets of tuna.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 03:39 PM   #564
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think there's no precedent for this, so it's hard to say. It does seem as if a conviction would cancel Trump's presidency, and all the benefits that flow from it, whether he's in office or not. I'd like to see more analysis on this myself.

IE, What would be the point of permitting impeachment after a president left office if it had no meaning?
Exactly.

I think they should take it away and force Trump to sue and test it in court. That would be an akward position for him.
Old 9th January 2021, 03:45 PM   #565
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In The Atlantic they interviewed Bryson Gray a 29-year-old rapper and self-described, "trump super fan," from North Carolina.

Why would a black 29-year-old rapper from North Carolina be wild about donald trump? My explanation is, it's a law of averages thing.
Clayton Bigsby in action?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 04:49 PM   #566
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1347922394497884167

Quote:
Whoa. ⁦@Forbes⁩ chief content officer warns against hiring ⁦@kayleighmcenany⁩ ⁦or other prominent Trump flacks: “Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie.”
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 9th January 2021, 04:53 PM   #567
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1347922394497884167

Quote:
Quote:
Whoa. ⁦@Forbes⁩ chief content officer warns against hiring ⁦@kayleighmcenany⁩ ⁦or other prominent Trump flacks: “Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie.”
Article embedded in tweet.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:36 PM   #568
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Kayleigh McEnany addresses Washington press corps Thursday, condemns rioters, indicating most of those assembled were there for a peaceful protest and draws a parallel to disorder last Spring in the wake of the George Floyd murder. Once she reads her statement she walks out without taking questions.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

This lack of communication from the trump administration is appalling. The press -- no matter what you think of them -- represent the American people. The questions they ask are ones many people want to hear answers to. That is why the press is protected under our Constitution. Only the press has the power and the right to force administrations to answer questions and respond to criticism. So emblematic that McEnany instead turned her back and walked away.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:41 PM   #569
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I think they should take it away and force Trump to sue and test it in court. That would be an akward position for him.

And then just keep doing that. "An impeached president isn't qualified for these benefits". "A president who was impeached twice isn't qualified for these benefits". "A president who lives in Florida isn't qualified for these benefits". "A president who owns too much real estate isn't qualified for these benefits". "A president banned from twitter isn't qualified for these benefits". "A president who is overweight isn't qualified for these benefits". "A president who has bad hair isn't qualified for these benefits".

We can do this for years.
Old 9th January 2021, 05:44 PM   #570
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

This makes me hope that New York won't disbar Rudy until all this is over.
I'm not sure one would need to be a member of the bar to represent someone in a Senate impeachment trial. It's not exactly a judicial proceeding.

I've read senators can't be impeached; pity. Can they be recalled?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 06:03 PM   #571
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Just in: VP Pence has not ruled out the 25th Amendment. Apparently he's keeping it in reserve in case The PDJT becomes even more unstable.
Old 9th January 2021, 06:07 PM   #572
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Perhaps the pension could be deposited in a prison account? Trump would never want for packets of tuna.

He’ll get free honeybuns on his pillow anyway.
Old 9th January 2021, 06:08 PM   #573
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm not sure one would need to be a member of the bar to represent someone in a Senate impeachment trial. It's not exactly a judicial proceeding.

Senators and House members can be expelled by two-thirds majority votes of their respective chambers.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 06:12 PM   #574
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Deleted

Last edited by Athyrio; 9th January 2021 at 06:14 PM.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 06:39 PM   #575
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Where did you read that? I'm 90 percent sure that they can just like any FEDERAL office holder.
Old 9th January 2021, 07:45 PM   #576
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I love that Forbes have a "chief content officer." It does my heart good to know that there are still people making a living by trying to get the facts straight.

We're supposed to accept that the new rules are better than, or just as good as, the old rules. Embracing blogs, blather and bloviation means putting aside the quaint ideal of not wanting to print lies. Three cheers for any news organization that still gives a **** about fairness and accuracy.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 07:52 PM   #577
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Where did you read that? I'm 90 percent sure that they can just like any FEDERAL office holder.
I just plugged some words into Google and went with a citation that said senators cannot be impeached but can be expelled. So if it's inaccurate it's due to shoddy research

I also wondered if national officeholders can be recalled. This mechanism is available in my state and a decade or so back a prominent legislator was voted out of office by his (conservative) constituents, largely due to his ugly rhetoric about immigrants. It's one of the reasons I didn't think Trump was going to get far with his xenophobic race-baiting. Obviously, I was wrong.
Old 9th January 2021, 07:59 PM   #578
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just in: VP Pence has not ruled out the 25th Amendment. Apparently he's keeping it in reserve in case The PDJT becomes even more unstable.
CNN reports Trump and Pence have not spoken since Wendesday.
Pense is furious IMHO rightly so...about how his wife and daughter who were with him,were endangered.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 08:12 PM   #579
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I just plugged some words into Google and went with a citation that said senators cannot be impeached but can be expelled. So if it's inaccurate it's due to shoddy research

I also wondered if national officeholders can be recalled. This mechanism is available in my state and a decade or so back a prominent legislator was voted out of office by his (conservative) constituents, largely due to his ugly rhetoric about immigrants. It's one of the reasons I didn't think Trump was going to get far with his xenophobic race-baiting. Obviously, I was wrong.
Thanks for the info. You're right.I checked as well.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:13 PM   #580
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Yeah, right. Trying to overthrow the government was just a minor mistake, he's waiting for Trump to do something really bad.

If not now, when?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 08:47 PM   #581
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Regarding Mike Pence and donald trump being at odds. (Finally!) From CNN:
Quote:
As of Saturday evening, Trump and Pence still have not spoken since the Wednesday incursion at the US Capitol that left five people dead, including a Capitol Police officer, another source told CNN. The President has also not made any public comments denouncing death threats that have been posted on social media targeting Pence. Pence has finally "gotten a glimpse of POTUS's vindictiveness," one source said, using the acronym for President of the United States. Two sources familiar with the matter say Trump is angry at Pence and Pence is disappointed and saddened by Trump.

Trump put Pence in an impossible position, asking him to overturn the election results during Wednesday's joint session of Congress. When Pence explained that he could not do that and sent a letter to members of Congress that he would follow the Constitution, Trump used his Wednesday rally to egg on the crowd, telling them to march on Capitol Hill, and said of his vice president, "Mike Pence, I hope you're gonna stand up for the good of our Constitution and for the good of our country, and if you're not, I'm going to be very disappointed in you, I will tell you right now. I'm not hearing good stories." As CNN previously reported, aides to the vice president were outraged that Trump did not check in on Pence on Wednesday as he and his family were fleeing from the mob storming the Capitol. CNN link
CNN also reported:
Quote:
Republican Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska, a frequent Trump critic who favored acquitting Trump in the first impeachment trial last year...voiced concerns about Trump's response to the riot, noting that senior White House officials had told him that Trump "wanted chaos on television" and was "confused about why other people on his team weren't as excited as he was" as rioters pummeled Capitol Police trying to get into the building.

To the dismay of his aides, he delighted in watching the riot that injured dozens of officers and sent fears of a coup racing across the Capitol. Aides struggled to get him to understand how serious the situation had become. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, one of the President's staunchest allies, had a "heated exchange" with the President as rioters overran the Capitol building, urging him to denounce the attack and try to quell the violence, according to a source briefed on the exchange. But Trump declined to do so. CNN link
CNN also reports that since Wednesday some of those close to the president describe trump as having crossed the line to seeming delusional and detached from reality.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 08:58 PM   #582
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Randy Rainbow has a new song out: Sedition

No forum link available.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 09:07 PM   #583
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Randy Rainbow has a new song out: Sedition

No forum link available.
That was good.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 9th January 2021, 09:20 PM   #584
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I bet hie average is terrible and he cheats.
To ;play a good game of golf (and I am an addict) takes concentration, that has never exactly been Trump's strong suite.
I’m reading “Commander in Cheat.” Good stuff.

Other readers may not know what a “gimme” is. When a ball is one or two feet from the hole, the other players will assume the player will make it, so they say it is a gimme and the player is allowed to pick up the ball before he puts one last stroke on the scorecard. Trump gave himself a gimme from a sand bunker.

Last edited by Ladewig; 9th January 2021 at 10:17 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 09:24 PM   #585
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Regarding Mike Pence and donald trump being at odds. (Finally!) From CNN:

CNN also reported:

CNN also reports that since Wednesday some of those close to the president describe trump as having crossed the line to seeming delusional and detached from reality.
So they think he finally crossed the line? 380,000 COVID deaths weren't enough?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 09:24 PM   #586
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I’m reading “Commander in Cheat.” Good stuff.

You may know what a “gimme” is. When a ball is one or two feet from the hole, the other players will assume the player will make it, so they say it is a gimme and the player is allowed to pick up the ball before he puts one last stroke on the scorecard. Trump gave himself a gimme from a sand bunker.
Could that be because he doesn't understand the meaning of "good up-and-down game?" And that hookers lie to johns?
Old 9th January 2021, 09:25 PM   #587
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That was good.

I AGREE
I see, I didn't cut the link in the right place. Thanks for the help.
Old 9th January 2021, 09:42 PM   #588
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I see, I didn't cut the link in the right place. Thanks for the help.
No problem. Now if I could understand how to post tweets.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:21 PM   #589
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm looking for Trump's Statement that he is going to pay the legal costs for his followers who got arrested (from the money they donated to him), because he loves them so much.

Anyone got a link?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 11:32 PM   #590
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'm looking for Trump's Statement that he is going to pay the legal costs for his followers who got arrested (from the money they donated to him), because he loves them so much.

Anyone got a link?
Here it is:

https://www.ihadavasectomy.com
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 11:36 PM   #591
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

So they think he finally crossed the line? 380,000 COVID deaths weren't enough?
It's probably worth a reminder. While self-identified conservatives apparently exhibit about as much empathy as self-identified liberals, the empathy they display is limited to a much, much smaller group. That pretty much ends up meaning that all those COVID deaths frequently don't mean a thing to them emotionally, unless it's directly affecting their much, much smaller group of people they actually care about.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Anyone got a link?
Like this one?

He didn't actually pay, of course.
Old 10th January 2021, 12:21 AM   #592
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Click on them and the url will start at that tweet.
Old 10th January 2021, 03:39 AM   #593
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Well, it's not like the GOP reformed all that much after the insurrection.

Cindy McCain censured by Maricopa County Republicans after she sided with Biden in election
Meghan McCain's dismissive response: 'How will she ever survive?' State party will also vote on censure resolution in 2 weeks.
Old 10th January 2021, 05:24 AM   #594
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
The AZ GOP is a bunch of nuts. Even Ducey (the republican governor) can't really stand them. They had also censured John McCain several years back.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:30 AM   #595
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

What I've been doing is to find the "time(or date)" for each particular tweet, right up there by the tweeter's name, right-click on it, and copy the link here as you would any other.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:31 AM   #596
Tero
Master Poster

Once trump has realized what powers he has over mobs, I bet he regrets one thing. he should have worded his instructions more clearly in Georgia. He just kept complaining about fraud. he should have said, "since there is obvious fraud, go in that building and take out as many containers of ballots as you can." They could not hold another election, so the election would be invalid and the Georgia legislature would have had to vote on electors.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 07:56 AM   #597
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Once trump has realized what powers he has over mobs, I bet he regrets one thing. he should have worded his instructions more clearly in Georgia. He just kept complaining about fraud. he should have said, "since there is obvious fraud, go in that building and take out as many containers of ballots as you can." They could not hold another election, so the election would be invalid and the Georgia legislature would have had to vote on electors.

It's the one flaw in his "wink wink nudge nudge" style of avoiding responsibility. At least mafia types are smart enough to understand what "Let's hope he meets with a little accident" actually means.

Anyone stupid enough to believe Trump is too stupid to figure out his "code".

Last edited by Horatius; 10th January 2021 at 07:58 AM.
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 08:37 AM   #598
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Brit here. Lol.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:09 AM   #599
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's the one flaw in his "wink wink nudge nudge" style of avoiding responsibility. At least mafia types are smart enough to understand what "Let's hope he meets with a little accident" actually means.

Anyone stupid enough to believe Trump is too stupid to figure out his "code".
"There are a lot of ballots inside that building, maybe a hundred thousand. It's a shame if something should happen to them." That would not work?

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:25 AM   #600
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
"There are a lot of ballots inside that building,”
“Beautiful ballots.”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics