IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 24th January 2021, 09:34 PM   #1641
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's been very well established by now that the "information deficit" model of skeptical activism doesn't work. You can't change someone's mind simply by showing them true information. That said, I'll be happy to contribute my skills (such as they are - mostly in the area of proofreading and editing) to such an endeavour.
I believe I posted something about that decades ago.

It's not an information deficit. It's time to reassess the problem.

When I was doing employee training and no amount of training resulted in any behavior change, a wise educator I know pointed out the obvious. It wasn't a knowledge deficit, it was a performance deficit.

Then I had to go find all the reasons said employees were not changing their behavior. I did but those performance issues unfortunately aren't applicable in this situation.

So far, we know what the problem isn't. Does anyone know what the problem is? We cannot address it until we identify it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th January 2021 at 09:36 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2021, 09:49 PM   #1642
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

In one of his last acts, Trump fired the White House Chief Usher -- who he had hired -- and sent other staff home on Inauguration Day so nobody would be around to open the door for the Bidens.
https://www.salon.com/2021/01/24/don...idens_partner/

Last edited by Bob001; 24th January 2021 at 09:51 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 12:02 AM   #1643
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
In one of his last acts, Trump fired the White House Chief Usher -- who he had hired -- and sent other staff home on Inauguration Day so nobody would be around to open the door for the Bidens.
That's a BS story. I read the article and the Bidens were left waiting all of 1 minute.

This is a nothingberder the news media made a story of.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I could be.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 12:37 AM   #1644
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it's been established for certain exactly who fired Harleth. CNN claims that the Bidens fired Harleth but the Bidens have not confirmed that.

Quote:
First lady Jill Biden's office did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.
Quote:
A Biden White House official confirmed Harleth's departure, but added, "he was let go before the Bidens arrived" at the White House.
I tend to think he was most likely let go by the Bidens for obvious reasons but knowing the Trumps....
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 12:40 AM   #1645
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's a BS story. I read the article and the Bidens were left waiting all of 1 minute.

Obviously the new President didn't have to climb through the basement window. The point is that Trump was so petty as to fire the guy the morning of the inauguration just out of malice. Apparently the Trumpers were mad at him because he tried to cooperate with the transition.
Quote:
Harleth was already in hot water with Trump's team, though. He "had found himself in an untenable position" since the election, "trying to begin preparations for a new resident in the White House, even as its occupant refused to concede that he would be leaving the premises," the Times reports. And Trump's chief of staff, Mark Meadows, was "unhappy" with Harleth "for trying to send briefing books about the residence to the Biden transition team in November." Harleth "had worked with Jill Biden's staff for weeks to organize the move of household belongings," The Washington Post adds.
https://news.yahoo.com/trumps-team-f...080546001.html

It's one more stroke in the portrait of Trump.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 12:46 AM   #1646
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't think it's been established for certain exactly who fired Harleth. CNN claims that the Bidens fired Harleth but the Bidens have not confirmed that.

I tend to think he was most likely let go by the Bidens for obvious reasons but knowing the Trumps....

Multiple sources are saying it was Trump, not the Bidens. Which sounds more likely? CNN apparently jumped to a conclusion.
Quote:
One of Donald and Melania Trumpís final small acts in a presidential transition charitably described as grudging was to send White House ushers home for the day on Wednesday morning, leaving the new first family to fend for themselves upon entering, according to several informed sources.

ďThe Trumps sent the butlers home when they left so there would be no one to help the Bidens when they arrived,Ē a well-placed official not associated with the incoming Biden team told National Journal. ďSo petty.Ē

The no-shows apparently included chief usher Timothy Harleth. Sources familiar with what happened confirm that Harleth, a former executive of Trump Hotels hired by Melania Trump, was summarily fired by the Trumps before they leftónot by the Bidens, as has been widely reported.
https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/71...BVWWPJ84DA0LXS
Old 25th January 2021, 12:51 AM   #1647
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Like I said "...but knowing the Trumps..."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 05:33 AM   #1648
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Don't even tell him the interviewer is a psychiatrist. Just get a beautiful blonde woman who thinks he's a genius to interview him.
Plot twist: The beautiful blonde psychologist turns out to be Harlene Quinzel.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 05:54 AM   #1649
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.businessinsider.com/flor...-author-2021-1

This made me laugh. Mara Lago is losing members as it becomes a "sad" place. Members who left were also concerned about being associated with Trump.

Then, there's the occasional fly-by of a plane towing banners like "Worst President Ever" and "You're a pathetic loser, go back to Moscow."

https://www.businessinsider.com/plan...nt-ever-2021-1

Trump's misery feeds my soul.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 08:01 AM   #1650
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Here's another little bit that flew under my radar initially. One of T****'s first executive orders, touted as a swamp-draining gesture, filled with pompous criticism of his predecessors' inadequacy, was a five year ban on former aides lobbying. One of his last executive orders, not trumpeted quite so loudly, was to cancel it. What a surprise, eh?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 08:10 AM   #1651
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Nah - of course that wasnít the reason for the delay, when you think what they are saying itís ludicrous. Yeah there was no one to open a door at the Whitehouse, and when the president enters there arenít SS folk ahead of him to have already checked the area....
Old 25th January 2021, 08:13 AM   #1652
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

This made me laugh. Mara Lago is losing members as it becomes a "sad" place. Members who left were also concerned about being associated with Trump.

Then, there's the occasional fly-by of a plane towing banners like "Worst President Ever" and "You're a pathetic loser, go back to Moscow."

Itís losing members for really the same reason it gained members, potential access to the president and all the other big wigs that were attached to Trump. Now that potential has gone so do they.
Old 25th January 2021, 08:33 AM   #1653
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So Trump didn't lock the door on the way out and drop the key down a drain?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 08:43 AM   #1654
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

All the better: Trump's various companies have been having... financial difficulties... recently. (A lot have seen revenues drop, partly due to Covid19, partly due to Trump becoming toxic.) Mar a lago had been one of the few parts of Trump's business holdings that seemed to be doing well. The drop in membership should hopefully reverse that.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 08:54 AM   #1655
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
No - but Iíd still check the air ducts for dead fish.
Old 25th January 2021, 09:06 AM   #1656
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

She could also be subpoena serving lawyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd2PXC9Aw_k
Old 25th January 2021, 09:28 AM   #1657
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Quote:
You're talking Trump.

Unless its a McDonald's Fillet-o-Fish, I'm not sure he'd even know what one of those things was.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 09:51 AM   #1658
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's been very well established by now that the "information deficit" model of skeptical activism doesn't work. You can't change someone's mind simply by showing them true information. That said, I'll be happy to contribute my skills (such as they are - mostly in the area of proofreading and editing) to such an endeavour.
Me too.

.. NO, not that one.

Hans
Old 25th January 2021, 09:53 AM   #1659
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely true. People believe what they want to believe. Despite the saying, they do believe they are entitled to their own set of facts.
But you can, occasionally, make them want to believe something else. In the long and glorious history of this site, that has actually happened a few times.

Hans
Old 25th January 2021, 10:56 AM   #1660
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Obviously the new President didn't have to climb through the basement window. The point is that Trump was so petty as to fire the guy the morning of the inauguration just out of malice. Apparently the Trumpers were mad at him because he tried to cooperate with the transition.

I hope it is not a Dorian-Grey style portrait. Iím too scared to contemplate a picture of President Chucklehead in which he is made more frighteningly ugly by every single instance of his bigotry, his grifting, his reprisals, his sexism, his indifference to human life, his sexual assaults, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
Old 25th January 2021, 12:46 PM   #1661
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I repeat: Trump's economic problems and the face he owes a crapload of money..will hurt him in the long run more then Criminal charges.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 12:47 PM   #1662
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump likes well done Steaks smotheren in Catsup.
THat is just an insult to a good Steak.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 12:54 PM   #1663
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Oooh< I Have a better Batman connection:

Apparently Senator Pat Leahy will preside over the trial in the Senate.
America's most prominent Batman fan;
Who has written introductions for DC's Harddover editions of the original Golden Age Batman stories;
Who had done cameos in all of the most recent "Dark Knight" movies;
Who did the best cameo by a politican in "The Dark KNight";where He was the man at the party who told off the Joker?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:31 PM   #1664
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
What I didn't predict is that Trump, after being kicked from Twitter, Facebook, etc, didn't at least continue to call in with his friends at Fox, Newsmax, OAN.

Not that I miss it, but why? Did one smart lawyer in his entourage convince him to shut up until after the Senate trial?
How do we know he isn't and they just are not putting him on the air?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 01:38 PM   #1665
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The point is this is a nothingberder. Can't the report state that Trump firing these people was an ******* thing to do without exaggerating the damage?

Come on.

Not sure people recall but ******* Trump also fired a very long term butler when Trump got there.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:41 PM   #1666
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Nah - of course that wasnít the reason for the delay, when you think what they are saying itís ludicrous. Yeah there was no one to open a door at the Whitehouse, and when the president enters there arenít SS folk ahead of him to have already checked the area....
Yeah, what about the SS? Should have been in the story.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:42 PM   #1667
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump is more of a pisser than a fisher.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:46 PM   #1668
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Biden said they will expidite putting Harriet Tubman's picture on the 20$ bill.
Boy, will this trigger the Trumptards.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:51 PM   #1669
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
They should make a three-dollar bill with Trump's picture on it. And then not accept it as legal tender.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:53 PM   #1670
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How do we know he isn't and they just are not putting him on the air?
We don't, but please, FSM and colleagues, make it be true.
Old 25th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #1671
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why? It's just a hunk of meat.

Needs to be well done to get any flavor out of it
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 02:21 PM   #1672
Galaxie
Muse

A lot of those $20 bills will be burned or tossed out. If an enterprising person was in the right place at the right time to take them off the racists' hands...

"Step right up, folks! I'll give you old twenties for your Tubman twenties! Only $24.99 each!"
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 02:49 PM   #1673
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, what about the SS? Should have been in the story.
Aw, c'mon, the issue isn't "Couldn't somebody open the door?," the issue is "Who was supposed to open the door?" This was a high-level protocol matter. The new President should have been welcomed by the highest ranking person on the White House staff. But he had just been fired, and whoever was left had to figure out what to do. It doesn't matter that the Bidens had to wait a few seconds; what matters is Trump's bottomless pettiness, one last slight to somebody he thinks shouldn't have won.
Old 25th January 2021, 02:54 PM   #1674
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
A lot of those $20 bills will be burned or tossed out. If an enterprising person was in the right place at the right time to take them off the racists' hands...

"Step right up, folks! I'll give you old twenties for your Tubman twenties! Only $24.99 each!"
I don't think anybody will be tossing out money. But it wouldn't surprise me if the $10 bill replaces $20s throughout the South as the largest bill people commonly carry, and when people get $20s from the ATM they will storm into the bank and bellow "Gimme REAL money!"
Old 25th January 2021, 02:56 PM   #1675
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

You aren't wrong; cooking a steak well-done gets all the flavor out.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 02:59 PM   #1676
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

You don't think "well-done" means "cooked," do you?
Quote:
5 Reasons You Should Never Order Steak Well Done
https://www.delish.com/food-news/a50...eak-well-done/
Quote:

ďWe are not responsible for steaks ordered well-done.Ē
https://thetakeout.com/what-chefs-th...eak-1828261611
Old 25th January 2021, 03:26 PM   #1677
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

How about steak au poivre?

That's my favorite steak.
Old 25th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #1678
Galaxie
Muse

I don't think anybody will be tossing out money.
I think you're greatly overestimating such people. Didn't we see people burning Nike shoes and jerseys back when Kaepernick was kneeling? Those cost a lot more than $20.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the $10 bill replaces $20s throughout the South as the largest bill people commonly carry, and when people get $20s from the ATM they will storm into the bank and bellow "Gimme REAL money!"
On this point, I think you're absolutely right.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 03:49 PM   #1679
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Anthony Bourdain writes how chefs put aside the inferior cuts of meat for idiots who order it well done since they don't know good meat from bad anyway.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th January 2021, 03:51 PM   #1680
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Some Trumptards are saying only people who have been President have had their pictures on US currency, and that should continue.

Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton say hi....

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics