IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th January 2021, 06:40 PM   #321
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lots of comments like this on the twitter thread

Jessica
@Jessica79946411
God bless you Mr. President. Thank you for serving our great country and fighting so very hard for our freedom. I'm disgusted with what has happened to this election and all of the evil people that had a hand in it! You have fought so hard for so long and achieved so much

Darla
@Darla412
You, Sir, are Greatest President of my lifetime. Thank you for fighting for "We the People"! We love you!

Febe S
@FebeSeiuli
Thank you for your service, you will always be the greatest president. I am going to sit back and watch the Left policies destroy America and people will be grateful for people like youRed heart God Bless you !

No Words Poetry
@NoWordsPoetry
"Our incredible journey is just beginning!" Thank you 4 all you've done. You've had alot against you, but for those who understand what you have accomplished for individual freedom, we see you! God bless you too Mr. President ����ONE NATION UNDER GOD WITH LIBERTY & JUSTICE FOR ALL!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:03 PM   #322
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Vos, Secratary Of Education just quit.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:22 PM   #323
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yeah, and this is a cowardly move, in my opinion. Surely she would be a member of Trump's cabinet. If she is so disgusted by the rioters she should be one of those signing on for the 25th amendment.

I expect we will see a lot more of this. People who don't want to stand up to Trump or stand by Trump quitting instead of making a decision. Then Trump can just replace them with his family members and other sychophants.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:23 PM   #324
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
He did not write any of that.

Is the 25th amendment lynch mob outside the fence?

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:35 PM   #325
angrysoba
Philosophile

"immediately called out the National Guard"? **** off! This thing was going on for hours before he even bothered to tweet out a video asking them politely to go home after he had incited a riot.

How pathetic!

Incites a mob - stokes a riot - sits back and watches - loses Twitter privileges and is now "OMG, I so want back on Twitter. Do I have to throw some of my goons under the bus? Yes, okay, it's hard for me to make this choice. After all, they are my slobbering loyal goons, after all. Oh **** it, yeah, they're bad guys! I totally sent out the National Guard on those guys. Totally. Can I have Twitter back now?"
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:42 PM   #326
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You know, I can understand some cops secretly being on the side of rioters here, but what I don't get is why they're okay with just looking bad at their job.

I mean, even if you secretly want the rioters to sit at Pelosi's desk, why not just take the day off, instead of making yourself and all your cops buddies look like incompetent losers by not pushing back hard enough?
I'm gonna guess that in their employment contract or police policy manual or somewhere it says that if an emergency is called, then it's "all hands on deck" with being fired for non-compliance.
SezMe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:08 PM   #327
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I'm gonna guess that in their employment contract or police policy manual or somewhere it says that if an emergency is called, then it's "all hands on deck" with being fired for non-compliance.

Yeah, but an emergency wasn't called until after they'd publicly screwed the pooch. That's kind of the point.
Old 7th January 2021, 08:50 PM   #328
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
But he wouldn't do that!
It requires too much coordination.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:25 PM   #329
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Lots of comments like this on the twitter thread

Jessica
@Jessica79946411
God bless you Mr. President. Thank you for serving our great country and fighting so very hard for our freedom. I'm disgusted with what has happened to this election and all of the evil people that had a hand in it! You have fought so hard for so long and achieved so much

Darla
@Darla412
You, Sir, are Greatest President of my lifetime. Thank you for fighting for "We the People"! We love you!

Febe S
@FebeSeiuli
Thank you for your service, you will always be the greatest president. I am going to sit back and watch the Left policies destroy America and people will be grateful for people like youRed heart God Bless you !

No Words Poetry
@NoWordsPoetry
"Our incredible journey is just beginning!" Thank you 4 all you've done. You've had alot against you, but for those who understand what you have accomplished for individual freedom, we see you! God bless you too Mr. President ����ONE NATION UNDER GOD WITH LIBERTY & JUSTICE FOR ALL!
What's the handle of the Russian social media war room... something "bear"?
I wonder how active they've been these last 36 hours.
Bet they're gonna have a busy weekend as well.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:05 PM   #330
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
These things are always a bit sad, but maybe Trump will make new friends in prison.
I bet he wishes he hadn't pardoned his old pals now.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:06 PM   #331
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I thought Twitter had banned him for two weeks.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:00 PM   #332
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pence might be the first "De Facto" President since Edith Wilson.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:10 PM   #333
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Pence might be the first "De Facto" President since Edith Wilson.
You're not counting Caspar Weinberger?
Old 7th January 2021, 11:34 PM   #334
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:37 PM   #335
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well that is to be expected when you have a SecEd who hates public schools.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:59 PM   #336
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Ryan Fournier Founder and Co-Chairman of Students For Trump tweeted

@RyanAFournier
Facebook and Instagram have banned President Trump until Joe Biden takes office
They banned Trump. And they will ban you next.
Well, I think I see a great candidate to ban with just cause, right there!

Democrats and some Republicans want to impeach and remove Trump from office
This will divide America even further
We need unity as a nation
...Letting bullies get off scot-free is generally not a good way to end bullying.

He also out and out lied about his sending in the National GUard.

Mark my words, he is going backtrack on this.
I took much of that part of it, when I saw it shown during my break, as little more than an attempt to create an alternate narrative as a defense - one in which he wasn't the prime instigator of outright sedition and therefore in significant legal trouble.

To poke elsewhere, this could go in a couple threads, but...

Some among America's military allies believe Trump deliberately attempted a coup and may have had help from federal law-enforcement officials

Quote:
Multiple European security officials told Insider that President Donald Trump appeared to have tacit support among US federal agencies responsible for securing the Capitol complex in Wednesday's coup attempt.
Insider is reporting this information because it illustrates the serious repercussions of Wednesday's events: Even if they are mistaken, some among America's international military allies are now willing to give credence to the idea that Trump deliberately tried to violently overturn an election and had help from some federal law-enforcement agents.
"We train alongside the US federal law enforcement to handle these very matters, and it's obvious that large parts of any successful plan were just ignored," one source told us.
Trump's continues to drag the US' foreign relations into the mud. That's before getting to all the massive damage to national security and everything else.

Elsewhere...

Oregon State Representative Caught Opening State Capitol to Rightwing “Flash Mob”

Quote:
“OSP (Oregon State Police) has confirmed and informed us that Rep. Mike Nearman did open a door to allow demonstrators into the building. This was a serious, serious breach of public trust. His actions put staff and legislators and law enforcement in danger.”
The Banana Republican Party has a lot of cleaning up to do from its current position as the Party of Tre45on, I think.

Last edited by Aridas; 8th January 2021 at 12:00 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 01:02 AM   #337
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Well that is to be expected when you have a SecEd who hates public schools.
And private schools that use their money to teach students.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 07:59 AM   #338
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #339
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

How come he's allowed to Tweet again?
Old 8th January 2021, 08:10 AM   #340
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I guess management buckled under pressure from Trump administration. Like game companies and China, really.
Old 8th January 2021, 08:26 AM   #341
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Captain_Swoop appealed to Twitter so he had something to do in political threads.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 09:00 AM   #342
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Trump Tweets

The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST,
and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future.
They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!

Oh, dear. Inflation has begun. It'll be 100 million by Monday.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:02 AM   #343
dmaker
Graduate Poster

The initial suspension of his account was to force him to remove 2 or 3 tweets that could incite violence. Once that was done, a 12 hour hold would start.

He complied, the 12 hours elapsed, and now he can tweet again.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 09:09 AM   #344
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
I wonder if he even realises that, by that tweet, he's conceding that the election was more or less honest?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 09:10 AM   #345
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
... and a full billion next weekend, which means there ABSOLUTELY was ELECTORAL FRAUD because Trump got way more voters than there are people AND STILL "LOST"! STOP THE STEAL!!
Old 8th January 2021, 09:15 AM   #346
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I wonder if he even realises that, by that tweet, he's conceding that the election was more or less honest?

Dave
No, not one tiny bit.

He received 75 million votes - the largest number of votes for any incumbent President - IOW the best result for any incumbent.

Biden OTOH only got 55 million real votes and another 30 million fake votes.

The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 09:18 AM   #347
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump awards Medal of Freedom to 3 Golfers in Closed-Door Ceremony the day after his supporters trash the Capitol.

President Trump award the Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor bestowed by his office, to Annika Sorenstam, Gary Player and the late Babe Didrikson Zaharias. The three join Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Charlie Sifford as golfers who have been awarded this distinction.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 09:21 AM   #348
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I read he was banned from Instagram and Facebook, I think.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:21 AM   #349
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
President Trump award the Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor bestowed by his office, to Annika Sorenstam, Gary Player and the late Babe Didrikson Zaharias.
"I must say now, and clearly, that I am of the South Africa of Verwoerd and apartheid ... a nation which ... is the product of its instinct and ability to maintain civilised values and standards amongst the alien barbarians. The African may well believe in witchcraft and primitive magic, practise ritual murder and polygamy; his wealth is in cattle"

- Gary Player

He changed his mind later in life, but I suspect Trump prefers his early material.

Dave

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 09:22 AM   #350
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I read he was banned from Instagram and Facebook, I think.
Yes, he got 2-weeks-to-life from those, but I thought his Twitter ban was also extended. Apparently not. Twitter, I hate you even more now.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:33 AM   #351
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Yes, he got 2-weeks-to-life from those, but I thought his Twitter ban was also extended. Apparently not. Twitter, I hate you even more now.
Supposedly, he's been threatened with the one more rule violation and he'll be indefinitely banned level of things, at this point.

ETA: Tangentially, I read a quote that observed how Twitter and Facebook just happened to figure out they could do more to rein in Trump's harm... on the day that they found out that the Committees overseeing them would be led by Democrats.

Last edited by Aridas; 8th January 2021 at 09:40 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 09:39 AM   #352
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I see Trump announced he is not going to attend Biden's inauguration. I think he is fully aware that he was as welcome as a turd in a punch bowl.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:40 AM   #353
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I see Trump announced he is not going to attend Biden's inauguration. I think he is fully aware that he was as welcome as a turd in a punch bowl.
I sense a "Alternative Facts Counter Inauguration" happening.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:43 AM   #354
Apathia
Philosopher

They gave him his chew toy back before he slaughtered the cat.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 09:43 AM   #355
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

... or Trump will start claiming that he didn't even really run for a second term, because his first term was so fantastic and he got all his promises fulfilled.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:44 AM   #356
Dave Rogers

Who knows, maybe that would finally be enough for him to get charged with treason.

Nah.

Dave

Old 8th January 2021, 10:01 AM   #357
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump awards Medal of Freedom to 3 Golfers in Closed-Door Ceremony the day after his supporters trash the Capitol.

President Trump award the Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor bestowed by his office, to Annika Sorenstam, Gary Player and the late Babe Didrikson Zaharias.

Okay, so that guy has a good excuse, but why the **** did the other two not refuse this "honor" from this "president" after everything that's happened this week?

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
"I must say now, and clearly, that I am of the South Africa of Verwoerd and apartheid ... a nation which ... is the product of its instinct and ability to maintain civilised values and standards amongst the alien barbarians. The African may well believe in witchcraft and primitive magic, practise ritual murder and polygamy; his wealth is in cattle"

- Gary Player

Okay, yeah, that might explain it.
Old 8th January 2021, 10:02 AM   #358
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

There’s at least a bit of precedence:

Richard Nixon's inauguration in 1969 was accompanied by an elaborate three-day counter-inauguration, replete with its own parade, reviewing stand, inaugral ball and workshops on the nature of the political struggle. Thousands came to march, to protest, to highlight, in all the raucous and gaudy ways the times seemed to demand, the bitter divisiveness that racked the country.

The protests that year ended in violence - at least 81 arrested, nearly a dozen injured from the flying rocks and flailing billy clubs that marked the tightest security ever surrounding a presidential inauguration.

FWIW, I demonstrated at that counter-inaugural, and was pretty badly beaten by the D.C. police.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:09 AM   #359
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yep.

But I am sure Trump is taking the high road with this decision as he doesn’t want a mass public event with the potential that has to spread the virus!

(And we can bet Trump will be crowing how he got more people at his inauguration. I am really hoping folk don’t want to attend Biden’s inauguration.)
Old 8th January 2021, 10:13 AM   #360
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Last word I got was Biden's inauguration wasn't even really going to be open to the public in the traditional sense.

But yes Trump holding yet another giant super-spreader event while Biden does the sane thing and Trump treating that is him winning... sounds exactly like what Trump would do.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics