ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th January 2018, 02:54 PM   #1
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Glitch with audio file

I'm having the most bizarre experience with this insane glitch with an audio file.

I'm trying to transcribe music for a band. They sent me the files via google drive. The way it works is, I play the files on google drive, listen to a bit, hit pause, take notation of the timecode where I paused, notate the music, scroll back a few seconds to start from the previous bar, and hit play again. It's the way I've been doing it for decades.

Today, with one of the tunes, I was doing that, and I realized that after I hit pause, and transcribed the music, when I scrolled a few seconds back and hit play again, the song was not playing where I left off. I tried this several times again, but it was definitely not playing the music where I originally hit pause.

So I tried downloading the file because I assumed this was a streaming issue. And guess what: Even with the downloaded file, the problem persists!!! Basically, if you hit pause and then scroll back a few seconds, the song is now starting from that timecode.

This makes no *********** sense. How can a downloaded file be changing the timecode at which the song starts??? What the **** is happening here?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Update: I tried again, this time opening the downloaded file on itunes (I've always been using Quicktime player), and this time the problem is not there. It seems to be a problem with Quicktime Player, as well as whatever player is the one that Google Drive uses. I guess there's one thing not to hate about itunes.

Still, what the **** is that? Why does it do that?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 01:19 PM   #3
This is The End

Just decompress the file to .wav. That will solve the problem.

(As for your question. There is no way I can be sure without having the file. But I would guess that a variable bit rate scheme that uses a newer (or much older) codec than the player is expecting could do that.)

Last edited by This is The End; 15th January 2018 at 01:20 PM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 05:24 PM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Don't know how to fix that, but I would recommend the free download Audacity. You'll always know where in the tune you are, and you can set up loops.
Old 15th January 2018, 06:21 PM   #5
madurobob
Philosopher

Big time fan of audacity - worth the short learning curve.

But... I don't understand the issue. You hit pause, then move the play head back a few seconds, and hit play... and expect the sound file to play from where you hit pause, instead of where you moved the play head to? Or does "scroll back a few seconds" mean something other than moving the play head back?
Old 15th January 2018, 07:04 PM   #6
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
Big time fan of audacity - worth the short learning curve.

But... I don't understand the issue. You hit pause, then move the play head back a few seconds, and hit play... and expect the sound file to play from where you hit pause, instead of where you moved the play head to? Or does "scroll back a few seconds" mean something other than moving the play head back?
No. The problem was that the song was, basically, starting at different timecodes. I was playing the song up to, say minute 0:10, hit pause. Then scroll back a bit before (say 0:09) and now the song was starting from the beginning at that timecode, as opposed to where it actually starts (say, minute 0:01).

Carl Sagan
Old 15th January 2018, 10:49 PM   #7
mgidm86
Illuminator

I have some MP3s of old time radio shows that I used to stream to my bedroom system via a Blu-Ray player. Some files will get about 45 seconds in and then the show will start over, although the play back time continues to increase. It will loop like this continuously.

My system would otherwise freeze when that happened and it always happened to the same files. I had to hold down the power button for 5 seconds on the unit to restart it.

A lot of these old shows were recorded at very low bit rates and who knows how long ago so I attributed it to that. In other words, I agree with "This Is The End". I've had weird things happen with video files too.

Last edited by mgidm86; 15th January 2018 at 10:50 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 07:18 AM   #8
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Update: I tried again, this time opening the downloaded file on itunes (I've always been using Quicktime player), and this time the problem is not there. It seems to be a problem with Quicktime Player, as well as whatever player is the one that Google Drive uses. I guess there's one thing not to hate about itunes.

Still, what the **** is that? Why does it do that?
QuickTime X has not been updated for three years now so I consider it abandoned by Apple. So to me it's no surprise it no longer works well.

I can't even find QuickTime X on the Apple web site anymore which is another sign that it has been abandoned by Apple.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Export the file out of iTunes as an mp3 and open it up in Quicktime and see what happens.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 01:57 PM   #10
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
No. The problem was that the song was, basically, starting at different timecodes. I was playing the song up to, say minute 0:10, hit pause. Then scroll back a bit before (say 0:09) and now the song was starting from the beginning at that timecode, as opposed to where it actually starts (say, minute 0:01).
Ahhh... yeah, thats bizarre behavior indeed and does sound (ha!) like an issue with a codec not being interpreted correctly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet