ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Reply
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:02 PM   #3401
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,417
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Not for another month, mind you.
He was hardly the only one.
__________________
(Formally JoeBentley)

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:08 PM   #3402
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,900
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
He needs to define "now" without reference to his own birthdate and lifespan.
He does, but my point is that I don't think it's possible to do that. "Now" has little meaning besides "The time at which the statement is made," which necessarily ties it to a point within the lifetime of the person making the statement. "Now we are engaged in a great civil war" refers to November 1863 if it's Lincoln who states it, or 1643 if it's Oliver Cromwell who states it. What makes it "now" for Cromwell is that Cromwell was alive and speaking in 1643, while Lincoln was not. What makes today "now" for me and Jabba is that we're both alive and speaking. I can't use "now" in a direct way without it referring to a time when I'm alive. Paradoxically Jabba cites the ability of long-dead people to invoke the concept of "now" to refer to their time as justification for its being able to represent any point in time.

It's a typical Jabba wordplay argument.

In order for "now" to work in Jabba's argument the way he wants it to, he will have to define it in terms other than referring to a point in his lifetime. That's the only way it could be the uniform random variable he's treating it as. But of course that's not what "now" means. What we need from Jabba is to define "now" in unambiguous terms. Only then can we properly assess whether his proof has rigor. But he won't do that. He needs the vagary of the present non-definition so that he can make it look like one thing for one purpose and other thing for another purpose. That's how all his arguments always work.

Last edited by JayUtah; 23rd February 2018 at 01:16 PM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:27 PM   #3403
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,900
Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
So to sum up: Jabba's argument is bad, his formula is bad, he doesn't grasp key concepts relevant to what he's trying to do, he doesn't honestly engage the other posters, he won't focus on the important flaws in his argument, this conversation is never going anywhere, if it did somehow go somewhere it still wouldn't prove anything and if it did magically prove something all it would prove is something useless.
Thank you -- an excellent and highly bookmarkable summary. Sadly, you're not the first to reach these same conclusions independently. As much as Jabba wants to lay blame for his failure at the feet of his critics here, there really isn't much objectively to support that.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:12 PM   #3404
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,340
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Norseman,
- What, specifically, are "particles"?
If you would kindly follow the link and read the article, it is all spelled out in good detail of what the author means by "particles" and so on.



Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I guess they have found more since the last I read!
It's been a while, has it? I must say, you don't look a day over 200 million.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:07 AM   #3405
Dabop
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oz
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
He does, but my point is that I don't think it's possible to do that. "Now" has little meaning besides "The time at which the statement is made," which necessarily ties it to a point within the lifetime of the person making the statement. "Now we are engaged in a great civil war" refers to November 1863 if it's Lincoln who states it, or 1643 if it's Oliver Cromwell who states it. What makes it "now" for Cromwell is that Cromwell was alive and speaking in 1643, while Lincoln was not. What makes today "now" for me and Jabba is that we're both alive and speaking. I can't use "now" in a direct way without it referring to a time when I'm alive. Paradoxically Jabba cites the ability of long-dead people to invoke the concept of "now" to refer to their time as justification for its being able to represent any point in time.

It's a typical Jabba wordplay argument.

In order for "now" to work in Jabba's argument the way he wants it to, he will have to define it in terms other than referring to a point in his lifetime. That's the only way it could be the uniform random variable he's treating it as. But of course that's not what "now" means. What we need from Jabba is to define "now" in unambiguous terms. Only then can we properly assess whether his proof has rigor. But he won't do that. He needs the vagary of the present non-definition so that he can make it look like one thing for one purpose and other thing for another purpose. That's how all his arguments always work.
I never knew Jabba was in a movie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIwlRClHsQ

Dark helmet- when is now
__________________
It's a kind of a strawman thing in that it's exactly a strawman thing. Loss Leader

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:39 AM   #3406
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,911
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Caveman seems to know what he's talking about.

Do you agree with Caveman's statement that you have failed to support your argument, and that you have "displayed a failure to present mathematics above the "not-even-wrong" level"?
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; Today at 05:44 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.