IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags stop sylvia browne , sylvia browne

Old 31st October 2008, 10:46 AM   #41
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SkeptiChick View Post
Out of curiosity, is "stop sylvia browne" a trademark of any sort? If it is, you can file a petition to have the original site returned to you.

See http://www.icann.org/en/dndr/udrp/policy.htm for more information. I personally believe that the current owner of the old site may be guilty of "Registration and Use in Bad Faith."
Registered or not, I think a good argument could be made that "Stop Sylvia Browne" is a trademark owned by Robert. With all the references to it on the 'net, including at sites like CNN.com, I don't think there'd be any doubt he has claim to it.

-- Roger
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 12:08 PM   #42
Eos of the Eons
Mad Scientist

Yeah. And what's most disturbing is that the new owner is in no way using the domain name appropriately. It is misleading to stay "stop sylvia browne" and then make excuses the way they are. It is very parasitic, very unethical, and taking advantage of Mr. Lancaster's recent illness. Scummy. Very scummy.
The Lateral Truth: An Apostate's Bible Stories by Rebecca Bradley, read it!
Eos of the Eons is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 02:35 PM   #43
AvarianParakeet
Student

I went ahead and purchased stoppsychicfraud.com in case our mutual friend has been watching the threads. If you ever want to build the network, it's yours.
AvarianParakeet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 04:56 PM   #44
thatguywhojuggles
Graduate Poster

To the person(s) responsible for this horrible act. And I know you are reading this. You are SCUM. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.
thatguywhojuggles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 05:14 PM   #45
Senex
Philosopher

However this gets resolved it is clear there are many highly motivated people here to make sure Robert's website he worked so hard on will not only continue -- even if under a different domain name -- but will thrive with the energy of the outraged and appalled until Robert regains his strength

I'm certain many posters here are like me who lack the knowledge to help the current situation -- we will wait and monitor until a plan is made and will do their part and work tirelessly through search engines or whatever is best to make certain a new domain, if that is necessary, will regain the status of the old site.

Don't despair -- we will teach those rascals a lesson!
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 05:26 PM   #46
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

This all seems very odd on several levels. Dropping a PM.
LostAngeles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 05:31 PM   #47
thatguywhojuggles
Graduate Poster

Well said, Senex.

I suspect a considerable contribution to this cowardly act comes from Sylvia Browne herself. And when the evidence is revealed showing her connection to it, she'll look even more pathetic and fake than she already does.

Sylvia, taking out Robert's site while he was sick in the hospital, and not able to fend for himself was not only low beyond description, but it was a mistake. You will be found out and this theft will not go unpunished.

Your days are numbered old woman.
thatguywhojuggles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 05:37 PM   #48
dbalsdon
Critical Thinker

Theres nothing to suggest in any way, that Sylvia Browne, or any of her people, had anything to do this, so you shouldn't make any accusations, or comments like that.

Last edited by dbalsdon; 31st October 2008 at 05:38 PM.
dbalsdon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 06:06 PM   #49
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Originally Posted by dbalsdon View Post
Theres nothing to suggest in any way, that Sylvia Browne, or any of her people, had anything to do this, so you shouldn't make any accusations, or comments like that.
I agree with the sentiments of Senex and ThatGuyWJ.

As for accusations, what I've seen so far here is only speculation, and there's nothing wrong with speculation. Reading the articles section on this guy's site makes it very hard NOT to speculate that there is a connection. We shall see.
ExMinister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 06:13 PM   #50
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dbalsdon View Post
I agree. Sadly, Sylvia Browne is far from unique at taking advantage of people when they are feeling down and many, many other people are just as capable of committing this dastardly act as she is. Let's not give her any satisfaction and be able to say she was blamed for something she didn't do or be able to point to malignant comments posted here Robert would never approve of (he always takes the high road). I suspect the story of who took the name will be known someday.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 06:25 PM   #51
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RSL's better half View Post
If Kaylee is correct, we need legal advice.

If there is an attorney in the house who wants to do battle for truth and justice, please pm me.

I have 4 days left to get a refund on stopsylviabrown.net.
Be sure to contact the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Quote:
About EFF
From the Internet to the iPod, technologies are transforming our society and empowering us as speakers, citizens, creators, and consumers. When our freedoms in the networked world come under attack, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the first line of defense.
Contact EFF
Can EFF represent me?

Maybe. EFF is a small, grassroots legal advocacy nonprofit supported by member contributions. We provide pro bono (free) legal assistance in cases where we believe we can help shape the law.
http://www.eff.org/about/contact

I think you have a strong case as Robert is linked to that name in many print, radio and tv appearances. If the website is tied to Browne, who previously tried to silence Robert, it makes your case stronger.

If a lawsuit gets filed it's bad publicity for whoever bought it. As most would recall in Fox v. Franken, it hulimated Fox News and brought Franken's work to a huge audience. I'm sure psychics don't want critical analysis of their work, which lawsuits would bring.

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 31st October 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 07:05 PM   #52
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
If it's not, you'd better trademark it ASAP, before the "new owner" does.
It might qualify for a service mark (not a trademark) since goods with the logo have been sold and the public identifies Robert with the website:

Quote:
COOPER: To others, Sylvia Browne is nothing but a con artist and a fake.

ROBERT LANCASTER, FOUNDER, STOPSYLVIABROWNE.COM: She's wrong more often than she's right, as far as I can tell, so far. There -- there have been a number of missing-person cases that she has -- she's got flat wrong.

COOPER: Case in point, just listen to what Sylvia Browne told Shawn Hornbeck's parents about their son's kidnapper nearly four years ago on "The Montel Williams Show."
From: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...19/acd.01.html

This reminds me of

Quote:
Morning Edition, July 27, 2007 · Twentieth Century Fox won't have to pay a "cyber-squatter" for rights to The Simpsons Movie domain name on the Web. Keith Malley of Brooklyn, N.Y., signed up for "thesimpsonsmovie.com" and sought $50,000 to surrender it. But the U.N.'s World Intellectual Property Organization says he has no legitimate right to the name.
Check out the U.N.'s World Intellectual Property Organization resolution of disputes at http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/, maybe they can do something.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 07:21 PM   #53
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Questioninggeller! I never thought I'd see you here again.

Welcome back!
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 07:37 PM   #54
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

I know nothing about how the web works, but doesn't whoever it is who sells the domains have some clause in the fine print about what to do if you are incapacitated at such an important moment? I work at a government office, and the rules are very, very strict, but even we make exceptions for people missing deadlines due to coma.
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 11:19 PM   #55
RSL's better half
RSL Groupie

Robert's decision is to go with StopSylvia.com, for a variety of reasons. He wanted me to extend his heartfelt appreciation to everyone. Thank you.
RSL's better half is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 11:31 PM   #56
Ducky

Originally Posted by RSL's better half View Post
Robert's decision is to go with StopSylvia.com, for a variety of reasons. He wanted me to extend his heartfelt appreciation to everyone. Thank you.
I'm going to leave stopsylviabrowne.us in place, just to make sure someone friendly to Robert has it. It may come in handy some day.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2008, 11:33 PM   #57
El_Spectre
Lizard Scum

For anyone who wants to re-link to the site, code samples, graphics, etc are available at:

http://www.stopsylvia.com/support/

It may take a coupla of days to flush out and change all references on the site. Thanks for your patience.

Question your argument if you must mock your opponent to make it...

Step 1 in helping spread the skeptical way of thinking: Don't be a jerk.
El_Spectre is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 12:43 AM   #58
TheAnachronism
Critical Thinker

I'm sure that nobody here needs to be told this, but I just want to make sure nobody is even visiting the old address. Hopefully the traffic there dies out completely, making it worthless to whoever bought it.

ETA: I have added the new website to http://www.stumbleupon.com/ . Hopefully this will generate more pageviews.

Last edited by TheAnachronism; 1st November 2008 at 01:11 AM.
TheAnachronism is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 12:49 AM   #59
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Registered or not, I think a good argument could be made that "Stop Sylvia Browne" is a trademark owned by Robert. With all the references to it on the 'net, including at sites like CNN.com, I don't think there'd be any doubt he has claim to it.

-- Roger
Couldn't an argument for copyright be made?
Old 1st November 2008, 02:55 AM   #60
AndyD
Muse

Thanks ES and anyone else who helped get a solution up in a short time.

Now, if only we could get PZ Myers to release his hordes on a mass-linking campaign so we can get this site up and flush the old one out of Google.
AndyD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 03:20 AM   #61
TruthBeTold
Thinker

My blog has been getting slammed with people checking out the articles pertaining to Robert's site, probaby giggling like little idiots that they all link to this asses site, so this morning it took about 2 hours but I changed every single link I could find (over 150 I bet) so now that those giggling idiots who think they've got the upper hand in this battle can click away.

I was kind of laying back on my anti-Sylvia articles for a while but now I will go full-force on any slam I can think of against the woman!

I consider the battle <or this crooked game of chess> to be ON!!!!

TruthBeTold
InHerThoughts

p.s. Susan...there hasn't been a day that's gone by that you and Robert haven't been in my thoughts. You guys feel like family to me...
Donna
TruthBeTold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 04:10 AM   #62
chillzero
Penultimate Amazing

I'll edit this thread title to help spread the word.

ETA: Also updated the OP, in case anyone doesn't follow the whole thread.

Last edited by chillzero; 1st November 2008 at 04:13 AM.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 04:28 AM   #63
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
Couldn't an argument for copyright be made?
For 3 words? No.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 04:34 AM   #64
Chicken Pot Pie
Bawkbagawk Bawkbagone!

I've added the new link to my seldom viewed web page.

http://www.geocities.com/kabookie_clown/

I'm going to add it to my sig and see if that helps, too.

"Unlike some of the horrors in this forum, you just ain't intrinsically scary, CPP." Akhenaten
Chicken Pot Pie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 04:53 AM   #65
Chicken Pot Pie
Bawkbagawk Bawkbagone!

To help with Google hits, should I just keep clicking on the link? I have nothing but time, so I can do it all day long if need be .

"Unlike some of the horrors in this forum, you just ain't intrinsically scary, CPP." Akhenaten
Chicken Pot Pie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 05:16 AM   #66
Wildy
Adelaidean

Is the official domain stopsylvia.com?

It might be a good idea to change it on the wikipedia page.
Old 1st November 2008, 05:18 AM   #67
Chicken Pot Pie
Bawkbagawk Bawkbagone!

I was thinking the same thing as I was googling for the new site.

Old 1st November 2008, 05:29 AM   #68
AndyD
Muse

To optimise the links, it is usually better to use a useful search term as the text for the link.

Things like sylvia browne or sylvia browne psychic are considered better performers for Google since they are the things the people you want to attract are likely to be Googling.

I don't think clicks, as such, are relevant to Google - only clicks from Google results.

I'm no expert so if others have better suggestions...

Quote:
It might be a good idea to change it on the wikipedia page.
Okay. Done. "Criticism of Sylvia Browne"

Last edited by AndyD; 1st November 2008 at 05:32 AM.
AndyD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 06:13 AM   #69
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Andy is correct, clicks do not help, only links do. If you are unclear, read my blog post on Skeptical Software Tools which I just put up. It tells you exactly what to do, and explains the theory behind it.

To summarize my list of action items from that post:

DO: Link to Robert’s site using the alternate domain name stopsylvia.com.

DO: Use the text “Sylvia Browne” within your hyperlink, to help Google discover that this link is relevant for that search. Your HTML should look like this: <a href="http://stopsylvia.com">Sylvia Browne</a>

DO NOT: Include the word “Stop” inside the hyperlink. In order to appeal to fence sitters, we need to make this site appear in searches for “Sylvia Browne”, not “Stop Sylvia Browne”. The latter phrase will happen naturally in Google without our help due to the content of the site.

DO: VERY IMPORTANT! Change all the links on your site, even ones in ancient pages, old blog posts and in your blogroll. This not only helps Robert even more, but it will reduce the (now undeserved) ranking of the old name which is now owned by a bad guy.

DO: Consider adding a similar link to your signature file on any online forums you frequent. On many of these sites (including the JREF Forum) changing your signature retroactively changes your old messages as well!

DO NOT: Waste time adding links to sites which use rel=”nofollow” on user submitted links. For instance, links in blog comments on most blogs will not help, and links in Wikipedia will not help. If you are unsure, use the “View Source” or “View HTML” option of your browser to look at a typical page of the site with user submitted links. If you see something like this:
<a rel=”nofollow” href=”http://stopsylvia.com”>Sylvia Browne</a> Then a user-submitted link on that site is not going to help at all.

DO: Spread the word to as many bloggers and webmasters you can.

Last edited by krelnik; 1st November 2008 at 07:14 AM.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 08:04 AM   #70
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

OK, just to clarify, we are to click on any link we find (on this forum or elsewhere) for StopSylvia.com as often as we can.

Googling Sylvia Browne and clicking on the site from the Google results is not helpful.

And obviously avoid adding to the traffic to the old site.

If any of that's wrong, please let me know.

And on a sentimental note, this forum never fails to impress and amaze me with the way everyone comes together in a crisis. And I am very, very glad RSL has his site back. ChillZero even made it to her product order deadline. Just wow.
ExMinister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 08:14 AM   #71
chillzero
Penultimate Amazing

Mod WarningThe thread leading to this one has been closed. I'd like to make it clear that the topic of this thread is to promote the new site address as much as possible. Any further incivility and anything remotely resembling a threat or divulgence of personal information, of any person involved in the changeover of this site will be removed, and the posted infracted for ignoring this mod warning.

We understand people are angry. Let's now focus on the positive aspect of rebuilding the reputation of Robert's site.

No further publication here of whois information, addresses, or uncivil comments directed at non-members, please.
Posted By:chillzero
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 08:19 AM   #72
krelnik
Graduate Poster

ExMinister: I'm not sure clicking is really going to do any good at all. It's possible it will have some small effect in Google results. The other place it might have an effect is if you happen to have the Alexa Toolbar (or a similar toolbar) installed. This is because that toolbar gathers statistics on the relative importance of web sites.

But really, the most important thing we can do is to boost the Google ranking of the new domain, and Alexa won't help with that. The main thing we need to do is scrub as many of the existing links to the old domain that we can, and change them to point to the new site address. See my post above for specific instructions.

Last edited by krelnik; 1st November 2008 at 08:34 AM.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 08:30 AM   #73
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Originally Posted by krelnik View Post
ExMinister: I'm not sure clicking is really going to do any good at all. It's possible it will have some small effect in Google results. The other place it might have an effect is if you happen to have the Alexa Toolbar (or a similar toolbar) installed. This is because that toolbar gathers statistics on the relative importance of web sites.

But really, the most important thing we can do is to boost the Google ranking of the new domain, and Alexa won't help with that. The main thing we need to do is scrub as many of the existing links to the old domain that we can, and change them to point to the old site. See my post above for specific instructions.
Appreciated, thanks!
Old 1st November 2008, 11:59 AM   #74
TheSkepticCanuck
Thinker

I just Digg'ed the new URL, to let more people know about the change.
TheSkepticCanuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 12:07 PM   #75
Eos of the Eons
Mad Scientist

Thank you and welcome to the new canuckian.
The Lateral Truth: An Apostate's Bible Stories by Rebecca Bradley, read it!
Eos of the Eons is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 12:30 PM   #76
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

For those who want to put efforts in to trying to get the original domain back a website is being set up www.stopboriskreiman.com where we can try and shame Boris Kreiman with the truth of what he has done. More details in this thread http://www.internationalskeptics.com...69#post4169769
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 12:31 PM   #77
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

I just updated the link from my local atheist group's site. Anything else we can do to get it back up to the top of Google searches?
Old 1st November 2008, 12:53 PM   #78
scratchy
Muse

Earlier today i updated the url to Roberts site in the swedish wiki article on Sylvia Browne. I assume there are articles in other languages too.
scratchy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 01:42 PM   #79
Zep
Banned

70,000 links to the new site now added...

We need more though.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2008, 01:51 PM   #80
dbalsdon
Critical Thinker

Zep. Not too sure, but isn't your signature the kinda thing Google dislike?

ETA: Finally noticed my own sig.. DOH!!! the kinda thing google just ignore.. corrected now

Last edited by dbalsdon; 1st November 2008 at 01:54 PM.
dbalsdon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal