ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bill clinton , diplomacy , North Korea incidents , US-North Korea relations

Old 5th August 2009, 11:48 AM   #81
GreNME
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I can.
I am worried what kind of deal we made with Kim to get the hostages..because that what they were..released.
I am also afraid we have sent the message out that if you something from the Obama Administration, just seize a few Americans.
I am glad they are out of there, make no mistake, but I am concerned about the message it sends. I do NOT want another Jimmy Carter type foreign policy.
I don't think it is, and the only perception of such has come in criticism after the fact (repeated or printed in media). If anything, from what I can see of the events, is that this shows Bill Clinton is more invested than previously thought in how well his wife does in her position currently. He has a clear history of not having investment (or even of having negative investment) in Obama's career, but Hillary Clinton still has more career ahead of her while this is basically the pinnacle of Obama's political career.

I think Obama is going to allow Kim to try to make more out of this than it was, while letting the rest of the world know that he's not sending former presidents around to do his work for him. Obama's team is going to make calculated steps in this, for sure, but I have very little doubt that it'll be steps taken in the spirit of Carter's foreign policy.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 11:52 AM   #82
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Richard Masters View Post
I mean who wants to be around the *****.
Uh... huh.

Personally, I'd actually like the chance to meet her and talk to her. But I guess I'm one of those crazy libruls.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:00 PM   #83
Richard Masters
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
Uh... huh.

Personally, I'd actually like the chance to meet her and talk to her. But I guess I'm one of those crazy libruls.
Or one of those crazy neoconservatives.
Richard Masters is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 12:00 PM   #84
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

If all Kim got was a Photo Op with Bubba, then I am fine with that, but any other concessions make me nervous.
Being friendly with the guy might make for further talks, which might lead to a better relationship and a better understanding. Sometimes you do get further with honey than with vinegar.

Anyway, Bill's real name is actually William Jefferson Blythe III. Even a Euro like me knows that
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 12:04 PM   #85
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
Uh... huh.

But I guess I'm one of those crazy libruls.
And it didn't take three guesses to reach that epiphany.

Last edited by Cicero; 5th August 2009 at 12:30 PM.
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 12:05 PM   #86
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Richard Masters View Post
I thought it was pretty good, and I too, like Bill Clinton. I think it was more of a zinger on Hillary. I mean who wants to be around the *****.
Blast from the past:

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
I was once listening to a couple of radio talk show hosts in LA by the name of Mark and Brian they were going on and on about the women Bill Clinton had... well, just say had. They were talking about who would do who.

Jeniffer Flowers: Everyone would. No question. Some said they would pay.
Kathleen Willey: Some would. The rest maybe.
Paula Jones: If you put a bag over her head. Everyone.
Monica Lewinsky: Mixed. Some definitely yes. Some defiantly no.

Then Hillary's name was mentioned. Dead silence for about 5 seconds and then laughter like you've never heard. It was one of the funniest damn things I ever heard in my life.
Old 5th August 2009, 02:29 PM   #87
Marc39
Banned

Originally Posted by Magnifico2.0 View Post
You make a lot out of the momentary expressions of a man you've never met who gets photographed all the time.
Maybe the food is North Korea just didn't agree with Clinton.
Marc39 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 04:12 PM   #88
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Now did Current TV itself have these two on an assignment that required them to sneak into a batcrap crazy country that treats all foreigners as spy/saboteurs or was this something they did on their own initiative? I know the story is they "accidentally" wandered in but I don't buy that. Every border with North Korea I've seen on Google Earth looks like the no mans land in WW1. No way do you pass the minefields, cleared fields of fire, watchtowers and multiple rows of barbed wire "accidentally."
Old 5th August 2009, 04:46 PM   #89
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim
Great news all around. Hard to imagine someone could see a downside to these events.

Originally posted by dudlab
I can.
I am worried what kind of deal we made with Kim to get the hostages..because that what they were..released.
I am also afraid we have sent the message out that if you something from the Obama Administration, just seize a few Americans.
I am glad they are out of there, make no mistake, but I am concerned about the message it sends. I do NOT want another Jimmy Carter type foreign policy.

1. Secretary of State Clinton said today no deal was made as far as negotiations regarding nuclear weapons. Do you really think there might of been?
2. I don't think you're all that happy to see these woman released if you have to reference Jimmy Carter.

The bottom line is that two Americans sentenced to 12 years in prison in North Korea are now free. Whatever PR the North Korea government may get will be forgotten in two weeks. We are now back to (hopefully) negotiations on matters of supreme importance.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 05:48 PM   #90
shuize
Master Poster

An interesting site about North Korea including news about the events noted in this thread:

http://www.nkeconwatch.com/
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 07:12 PM   #91
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Clinton scored again?
Thanks, apple. You filled my chuckle quota for the day.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 07:20 PM   #92
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Thanks, apple. You filled my chuckle quota for the day.
I do what little I can.
Old 5th August 2009, 07:33 PM   #93
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Now did Current TV itself have these two on an assignment that required them to sneak into a batcrap crazy country that treats all foreigners as spy/saboteurs or was this something they did on their own initiative? I know the story is they "accidentally" wandered in but I don't buy that. Every border with North Korea I've seen on Google Earth looks like the no mans land in WW1. No way do you pass the minefields, cleared fields of fire, watchtowers and multiple rows of barbed wire "accidentally."
The entire border is not like that. However, I have no idea where they crossed over nor what the conditions are in that area. Hopefully we'll learn more in the next few days.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 07:36 PM   #94
SezMe
post-pre-born

I can.
dudalb channeling John Bolton.
Old 5th August 2009, 09:35 PM   #95
dingogirl
Student

DeeDee Meyers said that when Kim's father died, Bill Clinton sent a hand written note of condolence to Kim, something Kim never forgot.
dingogirl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2009, 10:40 PM   #96
shadron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marc39 View Post
That would be naive. Kim got more than a wet kiss from Clinton.
Coy? or just bluffing?
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2009, 04:31 AM   #97
Marc39
Banned

Originally Posted by dingogirl View Post
DeeDee Meyers said that when Kim's father died, Bill Clinton sent a hand written note of condolence to Kim, something Kim never forgot.
That's nice. Too bad Kim forgot Clinton's notes when he was president asking Kim to curtail his nuclear development program.
Marc39 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2009, 04:37 AM   #98
DC
Banned

That's nice. Too bad Kim forgot Clinton's notes when he was president asking Kim to curtail his nuclear development program.
so?
other nations on this planet forget about the trillions of dollars they got when they are asked to give up settlement politics....
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2009, 04:51 AM   #99
Marc39
Banned

Originally Posted by Dictator Cheney View Post
so?
other nations on this planet forget about the trillions of dollars they got when they are asked to give up settlement politics....
Settlement politics, whatever that means, don't kill. Nuclear bombs do.
Old 6th August 2009, 04:53 AM   #100
DC
Banned

Settlement politics, whatever that means, don't kill. Nuclear bombs do.
/derail

NK Nukes have not killed anyone yet. (Sure alot North Koreans starved so Kim had enough money for his nuke)
several Settlers have killed other humans already.
and im sure that same nation will forget about the trillions of dollars when they are asked to get quit of their nukes.

/back to topic

bye bye Marc.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2009, 05:05 AM   #101
Marc39
Banned

Originally Posted by Dictator Cheney View Post
/derail

NK Nukes have not killed anyone yet.
That's a rather large matzoh ball of a "yet".

Quote:
several Settlers have killed other humans already.
It's known as self-defense. The civilized world is concerned about N. Korea's offensive use of nuclear arms.

Quote:
and im sure that same nation will forget about the trillions of dollars when they are asked to get quit of their nukes.

/back to topic

bye bye Marc.
Incoherent. Buh bye.
Old 6th August 2009, 07:22 AM   #102
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
The bottom line is that two Americans sentenced to 12 years in prison in North Korea are now free. Whatever PR the North Korea government may get will be forgotten in two weeks. We are now back to (hopefully) negotiations on matters of supreme importance.
I tend to agree. This kind of thing is very complicated in terms of whether we could end up giving legitimacy to a brutal regime or even encourage hostage-taking in the future, but on balance, I think we have to give a lot of discretion to the President on how to handle things, and I am glad the reporters could be released.

So while I do admit there are things that have to be looked at before you can declare everything a bright and shiny success with no downside (Caution: I am not saying anyone in the thread has done so; that is hyperbole), in this case they seem to have tread a fine line as well as anyone could be expected.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2009, 08:30 AM   #103
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by dingogirl View Post
That must be why North Korea rejected AlGore as the retriever of the two women. Gore just sent a brochure on "Green Cremation" that advocated the remove of fillings from teeth which emits mercury and warned about the environment impact from the fossil fuels used for burning.

Last edited by Cicero; 6th August 2009 at 08:31 AM.
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2009, 01:33 PM   #104
Gaspode
Indestructible

Mod WarningDerail removed. Let's keep on topic please.
Posted By:Gaspode
Gaspode is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2009, 09:08 PM   #105
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I think things like this really make neocons go nuts. They hate it when liberals do stuff that work.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2009, 12:51 AM   #106
Travis

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think things like this really make neocons go nuts. They hate it when liberals do stuff that work.
This thread being a pretty good example of that.
Old 28th December 2009, 08:34 PM   #107
shuize
Master Poster

I hope Clinton hasn't gotten too comfortable in retirement.

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea said Tuesday it has detained an American man who illegally entered the country last week, following reports that a 28-year-old missionary from Arizona went to the communist nation on a mission to improve its human rights record.

However, the report comes as South Korean activists say American missionary Robert Park, 28, slipped across the frozen Tumen River into North Korea from China last week with letters calling for a change in North Korea's leadership and an end to political prison camps.

I read this story and the first thing I thought was ... "Arizona? Since when do they let Koreans into Arizona?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091229/..._us_missionary
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2009, 08:43 PM   #108
truethat
Banned

You know, this is such a scam. They know Clinton's going to bail them out, so world wide media attention here I come!!! Then a book about the "ordeal."

If they want to go to Korea so bad then leave them there. Especially the missionary, he'll do a load of good in jail saving people. It's win win, it's what "God would have wanted."
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2009, 07:28 AM   #109
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
If they want to go to Korea so bad then leave them there. Especially the missionary, he'll do a load of good in jail saving people. It's win win, it's what "God would have wanted."
Indeed it might, and Mr Park is on his way to serve God in ways he'd never have envisioned.

Old saying: If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2009, 07:43 AM   #110
Travis

Who in their right mind thinks they can do that?
Old 29th December 2009, 05:51 PM   #111
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
I hope Clinton hasn't gotten too comfortable in retirement.
He's not interested. Wrong sex.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events