ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kim Jong-Il , Kim Jong-un , North Korea incidents , North Korea issues , North Korea politics , obituaries

Old 18th December 2011, 10:36 PM   #41
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

CNN Tweeted that the official statement was that.... "He died of a heart attack brought on by mental and physical fatigue."

Yes, must be tiring looking at other people exercising and standing around at openings of factories that never work and hotels that never get a visitor.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2011, 10:56 PM   #42
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the new Kim will be a good man and want to change things for the better for his nation.
Old 18th December 2011, 11:05 PM   #43
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Ding, dong the bitch is dead!
Which old bitch?
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2011, 11:13 PM   #44
!Kaggen
Illuminator

Let's hope Mugabe is next .....
!Kaggen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2011, 11:25 PM   #45
Robrob
Philosopher

How many threads can we have on this (happy) topic?
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2011, 11:27 PM   #46
Robrob
Philosopher

Conspiracy! He's not dead, he just moved in with Elvis and Bigfoot.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2011, 11:29 PM   #47
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by !Kaggen View Post
Let's hope Mugabe is next .....
Or Hugo Chavez, Ahmedinijad+Khameni, Bashar Assad, Ismail Haniyeh, Hassan Nazrallah...

There's a world full of ___holes out there that just can't die soon enough.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2011, 11:30 PM   #48
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how long this will be "Breaking News".
Old 18th December 2011, 11:30 PM   #49
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Depends whether you can get different font colors in thread titles.
Old 18th December 2011, 11:33 PM   #50
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Good riddance, I hope he fries.

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
Here is an interesting CNN article on that:

Will the North Koreans Rise Up?
As long as the North Korean armed forces has anything to say, I seriously doubt it.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 12:28 AM   #51
Cain
Straussian

Who else died or is gonna die? These things happen in threes.

Last edited by Cain; 19th December 2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: I am not comparing Hitchens to an evil totalitarian dictator like Kim Jong-Il
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 12:32 AM   #52
This is The End

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
#$@% YEAH, BABY!!!

Burn in hell you evil @#$%&!
Yeah, but hasn't the word been that the son, the designated successor, is/will be worse?

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Who else died or is gonna die? These things happen in threes.
Ugh....

Joking I hope.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:41 AM   #53
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Yeah, but hasn't the word been that the son, the designated successor, is/will be worse?
that's a discussion for tomorrow.

Tonight, we dance!
Old 19th December 2011, 12:44 AM   #54
This is The End

that's a discussion for tomorrow.

Tonight, we dance!
OK, but in North Korea it's already tomorrow.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:45 AM   #55
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Ugh....

Joking I hope.
Ha, just saw this second from the top on Yahoo! "Veteran TV and film actor Dan Frazer dies at age 90"

I bet you feel like an idiot.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:46 AM   #56
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

#$@% YEAH, BABY!!!

Burn in hell you evil @#$%&!
Makes no difference.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:51 AM   #57
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This could be very worrying as I presume there is a now a power-vacuum. I know the rumours of his ill health have been circulating for some time so I'm sure there have been those that have been "leading in his name" for some time but they often aren't the ones that come out top after their figurehead dies.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:59 AM   #58
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I have this terrible feeling that his ghost will live on and on.
Old 19th December 2011, 01:06 AM   #59
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
This could be very worrying as I presume there is a now a power-vacuum. I know the rumours of his ill health have been circulating for some time so I'm sure there have been those that have been "leading in his name" for some time but they often aren't the ones that come out top after their figurehead dies.
Exactly. I don't know why people are celebrating. Look what happened the last time the North wanted to solidify their leadership (The shelling of Yeonpyeong Island).
Old 19th December 2011, 01:23 AM   #60
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
Exactly. I don't know why people are celebrating. Look what happened the last time the North wanted to solidify their leadership (The shelling of Yeonpyeong Island).
People are celebrating because a very evil man died, and they hope that change for the better will ensue. That may be a vain hope, but that's still the hope.

It's almost certainly going to get worse in the short term, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of long-term improvements because of this. For example, if the regime starts to implode, that's probably going to spell trouble for a while, but depending on HOW it implodes, there might be light at the end of the tunnel. This isn't a given, of course, but let's hope.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 01:58 AM   #61
shuize
Master Poster

I wish Christopher Hitchens could have lived just a few more days. Based on some of the things he had to say about the "Dear Leader," I think he would have enjoyed outliving him.
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 02:01 AM   #62
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not necessarily.

The Today programme on Radio 4 was just discussing this. NK is governed by a military committee, not just by the Jong family, and Kim Jong Il's brother-in-law (IIRC) is currently the most important member on it. The new Kim won't suddenly be able to change course.
Old 19th December 2011, 02:33 AM   #63
wobs
Graduate Poster

Ding dong, etc.

This can go either way for North Korea. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the new Kim will be a good man and want to change things for the better for his nation.

What's the chances that three generations in a row will give the country a total narcissistic sociopath as demi-god?
Onion time...
"Kim Jong-Un Privately Doubting He's Crazy Enough To Run North Korea"
http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim...ough-to,18374/
wobs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 02:35 AM   #64
Lamuella
Master Poster

so it goes.
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 03:06 AM   #65
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

He's ronery no more.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 03:13 AM   #66
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Even if the new Kim wants to change the country, I doubt that he can.
There is a whole clique running the place, and i doubt they want any change that could threaten their position.

I'm reminded of that one Roman emperor who wanted to make some much needed changes and was killed by the praetorian guard on his first day at work.

And who will do all the quality control in NK?
I predict that the quality of turnips will take a nosedive in the coming year.
Old 19th December 2011, 03:19 AM   #67
Humes fork
Banned

Ding dong, etc.

This can go either way for North Korea. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the new Kim will be a good man and want to change things for the better for his nation.

What's the chances that three generations in a row will give the country a total narcissistic sociopath as demi-god?
From what I've read, due to the new guy's inexperience and short preparation for the job (Kim Jong-il was groomed for 30 years), the real power might not reside with him, and he might become more of a figurehead than a ruler with an iron-grip over the country.

Whatever happens, the best one can hope for is that the new ruler(s) open up the country.
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 04:19 AM   #68
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 19th December 2011, 04:22 AM   #69
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Tom Logan, from Hatfield, said: "If I had to choose my ideal festive occlusion of the coronary artery, it would be this one.

"The only thing that could have made it any better is if the pain and suffering it caused went on for absolutely *********** ages."

linky (note - naughty language)
Old 19th December 2011, 04:30 AM   #70
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
He's ronery no more.
What a terrible way to end his korea.
Old 19th December 2011, 04:44 AM   #71
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
People are celebrating because a very evil man died
People elsewhere probably, but what about people in North Korea ? From a couple of documentaries I've watched I tend to believe that they have suffered so much brainwashing that by now most of them are probably crying as if they've lost a family member.

El Greco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 04:51 AM   #72
Humes fork
Banned

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 04:55 AM   #73
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

What if it's all been a mistranslation and it's just that Kim Jong dead ill ?

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 19th December 2011 at 04:59 AM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 05:32 AM   #74
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

My reaction to the news
I AGREE
Old 19th December 2011, 05:45 AM   #75
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I wonder what posthumous position Kim Jong Il will get. Eternal Vice President?
Old 19th December 2011, 05:46 AM   #76
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well, hard to be really sorry.

Since it can hardly go worse for NK, let us entertain the feeble hope that it will go better. Although I doubt the Kims have been the real leaders for quite some time. When a head of state closely resembles a puppet, look for the puppeteers.

Hans
Old 19th December 2011, 05:53 AM   #77
Humes fork
Banned

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Well, hard to be really sorry.

Since it can hardly go worse for NK, let us entertain the feeble hope that it will go better. Although I doubt the Kims have been the real leaders for quite some time. When a head of state closely resembles a puppet, look for the puppeteers.

Hans
It's also a possibility thaty it will get neither better or worse. IOW, status quo.
Old 19th December 2011, 06:41 AM   #78
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Humes fork View Post
It's also a possibility thaty it will get neither better or worse. IOW, status quo.
Quite. Most likely, in fact, except that it must be clear to whoever leads NK that the present situation cannot go on. The 'dear leader' could not initiate an opening because his image is too tainted in the surrounding world, but those anonymously pulling strings might was to start a movement towards a less isolated position. After all, how much fun is it, in the long run, to live in a poverty-stricken, completely isolated country, even if you are the top elite?

Hans
Old 19th December 2011, 06:52 AM   #79
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
I wish Christopher Hitchens could have lived just a few more days. Based on some of the things he had to say about the "Dear Leader," I think he would have enjoyed outliving him.
One thing Hitchens used to say was that North Korea's leader was presented to the people as a religious figure, and that many of the people bought into it. The next few days may show us whether Hitchens pegged it accurately.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2011, 07:01 AM   #80
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
One thing Hitchens used to say was that North Korea's leader was presented to the people as a religious figure, and that many of the people bought into it. The next few days may show us whether Hitchens pegged it accurately.
I thought that was quite common knowledge - I mean the official story of his birth is a double rainbow and I think a shooting star heralding his arrival in the world.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events