ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 20th March 2017, 02:06 PM   #81
Sherman Bay
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,090
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I bless this thread
Not so fast! Is that a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist blessing? It could be important!
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 05:07 PM   #82
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,839
Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Not so fast! Is that a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist blessing? It could be important!
Wiccan.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 06:16 PM   #83
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,991
/offtopic Once said 'bless you' to someone sneezing and they must have been having a real bad day, because they shot back with, "You can't do that, you're not GOD."

Not my proudest moment but I couldn't stop myself from saying, "Well at least I exist."
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 08:30 PM   #84
Norman Alexander
Master Poster
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,094
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
They're actually about a different school entirely (Punchbowl Boys High School, not Punchbowl Public School where "Mrs. A" supposedly taught). I'm not sure if there were additional alleged threats to staff at the high school that NSW Education Department Head Mark Scott was referring to, or if he for some unknown reason got the schools mixed up and is (bizarrely) blaming the principal of the high school for not passing on the supposed threats at the primary school.

EDIT: Aha, found something. This article at The Australian does say there were alleged threats at the high school (which apparently no one, either the administration or the supposed recipients of the threats, reported to police). The article also notes that the high school has been a poor-performing hotbed of drug dealing and violent crime for long enough that barbed wire around the school was only recently removed.
The Australian is subscription only. Also, nowadays it's just the Daily Tele dressed in a nice suit.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:19 PM   #85
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
I still don't believe any of it. Sounds like baloney.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 11:21 PM   #86
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,839
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
I still don't believe any of it. Sounds like baloney.
I believe that was established in post #3
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 02:50 PM   #87
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,442
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
On occasions in the past I have been told by religious believers, when I have been in poor health, that they have prayed for my recovery. In such cases I thank them for their thoughtfulness and good wishes; and I am glad I feel under no ideological obligation to disparage their friendly intentions on the grounds that I attribute no efficacy to their prayers.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 02:52 PM   #88
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,442
Originally Posted by baron View Post
I wouldn't eat Kosher either.
Hebrew National hot dogs are the yummiest. I don't care whether they've been prayed over, they taste good and they don't give me migraines.

If you reuse to eat them on ? anti-religious ? grounds, I suppose that just means there's more for me.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 02:55 PM   #89
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,442
Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Amen, brother.
Hallelujah!
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 02:56 PM   #90
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,442
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
/offtopic Once said 'bless you' to someone sneezing and they must have been having a real bad day, because they shot back with, "You can't do that, you're not GOD."

Not my proudest moment but I couldn't stop myself from saying, "Well at least I exist."
Lol, that's awesome!
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 08:34 AM   #91
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions
 
Beerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 28,835
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Out of interest, if a prayer has been said over an animal then slaughtered for meat, and you are not religious, so what? A prayer is nothing to a non religious person. For my part I don't know how many things I eat, or vehicles I travel in, or buildings I enter, have been prayed over by religious people. And I don't care. Why is it important one way or another? Religious people pray over anything they consider to be significant. Why should it be important for non religious people to avoid places or things that have been subjected to this custom? Prayer does nothing to improve - or to impair - these things.

It has been half-jokingly pointed out that prayer experiments are not actually harmless, and thus not something that should be done without a signed acknowledgement of a blind test. After all, God is known to actively harm people, and not just leave them alone or improve them.
__________________
"Great innovations should not be forced [by way of] slender majorities." - Thomas Jefferson

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2017, 09:48 AM   #92
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,857
Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
It has been half-jokingly pointed out that prayer experiments are not actually harmless, and thus not something that should be done without a signed acknowledgement of a blind test. After all, God is known to actively harm people, and not just leave them alone or improve them.
Maybe so, but it seems strange to me that God might decide to actively harm people who board a bus because believers have previously prayed for the safety of travellers on that bus. If God does nutty things like that, there's not much we can do to stop him.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 02:05 AM   #93
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Is this the same school? http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...4b8e07e2c2344c
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:00 AM   #94
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
What it is are the same allegations made by the same "Mrs. A" in the same tabloid. This Daily Telegraph article is actually from the day before the Daily Telegraph article in the OP.

EDIT: This article also mixes in incidents that apparently actually happened at the boys' high school, implying they actually happened at Punchbowl Primary - their link about the supposed August 2014 incident, for instance, goes to their own article about the principal of the high school being dismissed which doesn't mention the primary school at all.
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni

Last edited by A'isha; 5th April 2017 at 03:13 AM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:07 AM   #95
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
What it is is the same allegations made by the same "Mrs. A" in the same tabloid. This Daily Telegraph article is actually from the day before the Daily Telegraph article in the OP.
The same allegations, and this snippet; "the Secretary of the Department of Education Mark Scott, told Ray Hadley on 2GB that there was a meeting with senior police yesterday and officials would be heading to the school, along with police this morning"?


And the Primary School mentioned in that article is a 'feeder school' for this school: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...ae9-1491386610 ?

Something appears to be going on.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:15 AM   #96
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cymru
Posts: 22,364
Still the Daily Telegraph though, whose impartiality is very much in doubt.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:28 AM   #97
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Still the Daily Telegraph though, whose impartiality is very much in doubt.
Ah, OK. I don't know much about Australian newspapers.

What about this one: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.h...73b21926ee48d0 ?

Seems something is definitely going on, and it might be being 'buried' by the media somewhat:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/tra...s/s4635058.htm
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:40 AM   #98
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,362
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Seems to be behind a paywall now.... care to summarize?
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele
"Chicken **** Poster!"
Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 5th April 2017 at 03:42 AM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:49 AM   #99
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Seems to be behind a paywall now.... care to summarize?
It's a BIG article, and there's a lot to summarise... I can take some screen caps when I get the chance.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:22 AM   #100
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Seems like there's a lot going on at the High School in Punchbowl...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...ae9-1491390621
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:26 AM   #101
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
The same allegations, and this snippet; "the Secretary of the Department of Education Mark Scott, told Ray Hadley on 2GB that there was a meeting with senior police yesterday and officials would be heading to the school, along with police this morning"?
The Daily Telegraph didn't exactly represent it accurately. You can listen to the actual interview here.

At the beginning of the interview (around 1:25) Scott says "I did have a briefing with senior police yesterday, and I asked them specifically the question about their concern and focus on the risk of radicalized children in primary schools, and they said to me absolutely minimal".

At around 8:11, Hadley asks "In relation to this school specifically, which is named as Punchbowl Public, is anyone looking at it today to see whether the practices of 2014 are containing into 2017?"

Scott answers, "Yeah, we have a very senior officer of a [something I can't make out, sounds like "specutol" or "spagutol" ] ready this morning, already on his way to the school today, a very experienced and respected principal at that school, and a school that's very engaged with its community. Part of my concern about the story today and the naming of the school is that the children involved are no longer at the school. This was the best part of three years ago."

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Ah, OK. I don't know much about Australian newspapers.

What about this one: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.h...73b21926ee48d0 ?

Seems something is definitely going on, and it might be being 'buried' by the media somewhat:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/tra...s/s4635058.htm
Which is the high school, not the primary school. And the story of the high school principal's firing was hardly "buried". That second article quotes a number of media outlets about it, and is complaining that one newspaper and Sydney's "second most popular" talk radio station hadn't covered it.
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni

Last edited by A'isha; 5th April 2017 at 04:28 AM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:31 AM   #102
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
The Daily Telegraph didn't exactly represent it accurately. You can listen to the actual interview here.

At the beginning of the interview (around 1:25) Scott says "I did have a briefing with senior police yesterday, and I asked them specifically the question about their concern and focus on the risk of radicalized children in primary schools, and they said to me absolutely minimal".

At around 8:11, Hadley asks "In relation to this school specifically, which is named as Punchbowl Public, is anyone looking at it today to see whether the practices of 2014 are containing into 2017?"

Scott answers, "Yeah, we have a very senior officer of a [something I can't make out, sounds like "specutol" or "spagutol" ] ready this morning, already on his way to the school today, a very experienced and respected principal at that school, and a school that's very engaged with its community. Part of my concern about the story today and the naming of the school is that the children involved are no longer at the school. This was the best part of three years ago."



Which is the high school, not the primary school. And the story of the high school principal's firing was hardly "buried". That second article quotes a number of media outlets about it, and is complaining that one newspaper and Sydney's "second most popular" talk radio station hadn't covered it.
The two schools have a definite relationship, and there seems to be indications of things not being reported correctly at both. Interesting.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:44 AM   #103
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
This is also a claim coming up in a lot of articles about the public school:

"It’s reported that at least three teachers have taken stress leave as a result of these actions, and have undertaken counselling or been paid compensation due to the Islamic students bullying."

https://tenplay.com.au/news/national...mic-radicalism

I've not seen anything addressing or disproving this claim either.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:51 AM   #104
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Seems to be behind a paywall now.... care to summarize?
It starts off by basically repeating the same summary as the the article in the OP:

Quote:
STUDENTS are showing signs of extreme radicalisation as early as Year 5, including threatening to behead teachers, bullying peers into reading the Koran and even demanding the Syrian flag be put up in the classroom.

Documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph reveal how frightened teachers at Punchbowl Public School have resorted to making formal complaints over fears of religious violence inside the classroom.

It’s also understood at least three teachers have taken stress leave, received counselling or been paid compensation because of bullying from Islamic students."
The following paragraph then misrepresents the Mark Scott interview with Ray Handley as detailed above, then it jumps to stories about Punchbowl Boys' High School. It starts listing incidents from 2014, without saying whether they're alleged primary school incidents or incidents at the high school. The only link it provides goes to another Daily Telegraph article about the high school that doesn't mention the primary school at all:

Quote:
In an August 2014 incident, an official complaint from a teacher obtained by The Daily Telegraph says two students were kicked out of class for being “repeatedly uncooperative and disruptive”.
Then it goes into several paragraphs of the allegations attributed to "Mrs. A", which are pretty much exactly as already detailed in the link in the OP. A notable, and rather amusing, exception is this:

Quote:
One incident report obtained by The Daily Telegraph, made on August 12 in 2014, describes how boys were teasing each other about “eating sausages and seafood because they were doing work related to food in the classroom”.
The "forced to eat halal food" thing also gets a shout-out in a big graphic luridly bullet-pointing her allegations.

Then there's more complaints from Mrs. A about how the schools supposedly handled her complaints.

The next section goes into more detail about what Scott told Handley in the interview above, quoting him describing the police telling him the risk and concern of radicalized primary schoolers was "absolutely minimal", mentioning that the behavior of children in schools is mostly learned outside the schools, and giving his reassurances about how his department and the schools under his control are prepared to handle issues and allegations. I recommend listening to the actual interview above (it's only like 10 minutes long) rather than just take the Daily Telegraph's word for it.

It then quotes a NSW Department of Education spokespeople about how there have been no reports of religious violence at "this school", what the DoE's policies are about that sort of thing, and how the Qur'an-chanting incident was apparently confirmed and the students involved punished, but again not specifying whether it happened at the primary school or the high school.

The article then finishes with Mrs. A demanding that other teachers come forward and demanding that "the Minister and DET heads" do something.
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni

Last edited by A'isha; 5th April 2017 at 05:24 AM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:59 AM   #105
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
It then quotes a NSW Department of Education spokespeople about how there have been no reports of religious violence at "this school", what the DoE's policies are about that sort of thing, and how the Qur'an-chanting incident was apparently confirmed and the students involved punished, but again not specifying whether it happened at the primary school or the high school.

The article then finishes with Mrs. A demanding that other teachers come forward and demanding that "the Minister and DET heads" do something.
The school being referred to is the Public School, as detailed in my previous link.

Mrs A doesn't seem to be making claims about actual violence, more so the vague threat of it, or harassment, so the DoE statement is correct, but a bit disingenuous.

The 'Chanting' accusation was confirmed, and at the Public School - not the High School. The 'punishment' was that the children involved were "taken off the playground at lunchtime", and apparently this is one of the rare occasions where a complaint was actually documented and acted upon, to a certain extent.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:59 AM   #106
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
This is also a claim coming up in a lot of articles about the public school:

"It’s reported that at least three teachers have taken stress leave as a result of these actions, and have undertaken counselling or been paid compensation due to the Islamic students bullying."

https://tenplay.com.au/news/national...mic-radicalism

I've not seen anything addressing or disproving this claim either.
That's not a different article about the primary school, that's literally just them reporting on (and quoting) what the Daily Telegraph article you linked to said. Since that article contained the allegation, this one does as well.

It's merely a repetition of a claim made in the OP article, and so far only the Daily Telegraph has alleged (so far without evidence) that the teachers who took leave did so because of bullying and threats from students.
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:02 AM   #107
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
The school being referred to is the Public School, as detailed in my previous link.
The link contained in the Daily Telegraph article about that incident goes, as I said, to another Daily Telegraph article about the high school that doesn't mention the primary school.
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:05 AM   #108
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
The link contained in the Daily Telegraph article about that incident goes, as I said, to another Daily Telegraph article about the high school that doesn't mention the primary school.
Mrs A is the claimant; it's pretty obvious that she's speaking about events at the public school where she worked.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:07 AM   #109
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
That's not a different article about the primary school, that's literally just them reporting on (and quoting) what the Daily Telegraph article you linked to said. Since that article contained the allegation, this one does as well.

It's merely a repetition of a claim made in the OP article, and so far only the Daily Telegraph has alleged (so far without evidence) that the teachers who took leave did so because of bullying and threats from students.
"The Education Department has not denied teachers at Punchbowl had received compensation for stressful or intimidating incidents, however a spokeswoman said it was not aware of any religious-related violence at the school."

https://tenplay.com.au/news/national...mic-radicalism

Complete with disingenuous DoE quote. Religious-related violence isn't the same as Religious-related intimidation, is it?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:19 AM   #110
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Mrs A is the claimant; it's pretty obvious that she's speaking about events at the public school where she worked.
You're talking about two different claimed incidents. Mrs. A alleged that students pushed her into a corner while chanting the Qur'an in Arabic. Earlier in the same article, the Daily Telegraph claimed to have obtained a report where two students were kicked out of class for being “repeatedly uncooperative and disruptive”, and only after that started chanting the Qur'an in Arabic. That's the incident where the Daily Telegraph's supporting link went to their article about the high school.

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
"The Education Department has not denied teachers at Punchbowl had received compensation for stressful or intimidating incidents, however a spokeswoman said it was not aware of any religious-related violence at the school."

https://tenplay.com.au/news/national...mic-radicalism

Complete with disingenuous DoE quote. Religious-related violence isn't the same as Religious-related intimidation, is it?
They didn't say anything about the leave at all. It's only the Daily Telegraph that has talked about this, and again without providing any supporting evidence.
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:34 AM   #111
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
You're talking about two different claimed incidents. Mrs. A alleged that students pushed her into a corner while chanting the Qur'an in Arabic. Earlier in the same article, the Daily Telegraph claimed to have obtained a report where two students were kicked out of class for being “repeatedly uncooperative and disruptive”, and only after that started chanting the Qur'an in Arabic. That's the incident where the Daily Telegraph's supporting link went to their article about the high school.
This article seems to suggest both incidents were at the same school, but it is not 100% clear either way. This aside, the main point of the discussion was Mrs A's claim - which was confirmed.

https://tenplay.com.au/news/national...mic-radicalism

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
They didn't say anything about the leave at all. It's only the Daily Telegraph that has talked about this, and again without providing any supporting evidence.
Oh well, if the leave isn't mentioned by the DoE, then I suppose we should ignore the part where they confirm that teachers have been paid compensation for "stressful or intimidating" events? Or could it be implied that maybe teachers had to take time off because of stressful or intimidating events, and were paid compensation as a result? Either way, whether teachers took leave or not doesn't exactly change anything. Unless you can find any statements by the DoE, or relevant authority, specifically refuting that claim then the omission of that part of the claim doesn't really seem significant.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:46 AM   #112
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
This article seems to suggest both incidents were at the same school, but it is not 100% clear either way. This aside, the main point of the discussion was Mrs A's claim - which was confirmed.

https://tenplay.com.au/news/national...mic-radicalism
Again, that's not a separate corroborating article. It's merely a paraphrase with quotes of the Daily Telegraph article you linked to.

Mrs. A's specific claim was not actually confirmed - we don't know which of the two incidents was confirmed. And if they're the same incident, why does Mrs. A's account of it differ from the one in the report the Daily Telegraph supposedly obtained (and why did the Daily Telegraph cite an article about the high school for one of the incidents)?

Quote:
Oh well, if the leave isn't mentioned by the DoE, then I suppose we should ignore the part where they confirm that teachers have been paid compensation for "stressful or intimidating" events? Or could it be implied that maybe teachers had to take time off because of stressful or intimidating events, and were paid compensation as a result?
Again, the DoE didn't say anything at all about the leave, confirm or deny (that's why the Daily Telegraph had to use the odd phraseology they did...had the DoE actually confirmed anything about the leave, the Daily Telegraph would have been all over that and reported it). It's the Daily Telegraph's so far unsupported assertion that three teachers took leave and were paid compensation for "stressful or intimidating" (using weasel words like "it is understood" and "it has been reported").

Quote:
Either way, whether teachers took leave or not doesn't exactly change anything. Unless you can find any statements by the DoE, or relevant authority, specifically refuting that claim then the omission of that part of the claim doesn't really seem significant.
Given the Daily Telegraph's lies and distortions, the burden is on them to support their claims. Which, in all the time since the initial article in the OP and the article from the day before that you've posted, the Daily Telegraph has somehow failed to actually do.
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 11:17 AM   #113
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Again, that's not a separate corroborating article. It's merely a paraphrase with quotes of the Daily Telegraph article you linked to.

Mrs. A's specific claim was not actually confirmed - we don't know which of the two incidents was confirmed. And if they're the same incident, why does Mrs. A's account of it differ from the one in the report the Daily Telegraph supposedly obtained (and why did the Daily Telegraph cite an article about the high school for one of the incidents)?

Again, the DoE didn't say anything at all about the leave, confirm or deny (that's why the Daily Telegraph had to use the odd phraseology they did...had the DoE actually confirmed anything about the leave, the Daily Telegraph would have been all over that and reported it). It's the Daily Telegraph's so far unsupported assertion that three teachers took leave and were paid compensation for "stressful or intimidating" (using weasel words like "it is understood" and "it has been reported").

Given the Daily Telegraph's lies and distortions, the burden is on them to support their claims. Which, in all the time since the initial article in the OP and the article from the day before that you've posted, the Daily Telegraph has somehow failed to actually do.
OK, you're starting to fall back on your default tactics now; poisoning the well - "Well, it IS 'The Daily Fail...", "This IS 'The Torygraph' you're talking about"; and focussing on trivial details which make no difference overall - "But they didn't mention LEAVE!", like it actually changes anything, or is proof of something.

Let's look at what we know.

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Mrs. A's specific claim was not actually confirmed - we don't know which of the two incidents was confirmed. And if they're the same incident, why does Mrs. A's account of it differ from the one in the report the Daily Telegraph supposedly obtained (and why did the Daily Telegraph cite an article about the high school for one of the incidents)?
Mrs A claimed she was intimidated and threatened. She claimed other teachers were too. This was indirectly confirmed by a DoE spokesperson (using their weaselly quote), but directly by a spokesperson for the Education Minister:

"Yet a spokesman for Education Minister Rob Stokes said “an incident occurred matching that description” in relation to the Koran chanting. The spokesman said the students were counselled and put on detention."

Both the Tenplay and Telegraph articles don't flow too well, but it is clear that both incidents happened at the Public School; they speak about the initial claims, then make a comparison to the High School, then return to Mrs A's allegations, from The Telegraph:

Punchbowl Public:

Quote:
These are some of the claims that are allegedly being witnessed by primary school teachers according to documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph.

Teachers at Punchbowl Public School have had to make formal complaints as their fears of religious violence inside the classroom continue to grow.

It’s reported that at least three teachers have taken stress leave as a result of these actions, and have undertaken counselling or been paid compensation due to the Islamic students bullying.
Story Moves On To Comparison of Events At Punchbowl High:

Quote:
It’s another controversial blow for Punchbowl, as the public school is a feeder facility to Punchbowl Boys High, which made headlines after Islam-convert Chris Griffiths was given the sack for refusing to implement the state government’s deradicalisation program.
Story Switches Back To Public School Teacher Mrs A, And Her Experiences At The Public School:

Quote:
A former teacher at the school, who asked only to be known as Mrs A, has revealed her horrific experiences while teaching at the school.

Mrs A says that she not only received death threats from Islamic students, but that students in Year 5 threatened to kill her family. She says she had no choice but to leave the public education system, and claimed her multiple complaints to the Department of Education were dismissed.

“Some students would act out beheadings with their fingers across their necks,” she told The Daily Telegraph.
Could have been written a little better, but it's not exactly hard to follow.

The two incidents are separate, with both occurring at the same school, and only one being officially confirmed by the authorities:

Quote:
Another incident involved two Year 5 students pushing her into a corner during a creative arts lesson and chanted the Koran in Arabic around her.

Mrs A pointed to a severe lack of discipline and consequences as part of the problem, as the only punishment after incident reports were filed was to take the children off the playground during lunchtime.

An official complaint from a teacher was obtained by The Daily Telegraph, which outlined an August 2014 incident were two students were asked to leave a class for being “repeatedly uncooperative and disruptive”.

The students were placed in time out where they “began chanting the Koran in Arabic”.
Given that Mrs A also claims that the DoE dismissed/ignored her claims initially, it's not surprising that they're playing it very carefully and only confirming one incident.

As for the 'leave issue', what's your point? If it was untrue, would the DoE not be falling over themselves to point out the falsehood? Just because the 'leave issue' was not specifically referred to by the DoE, does that mean it didn't happen? And if it DIDN'T happen - teachers didn't get leave for stress - how does that change the fact that teachers were compensated for incidents involving intimidation and stress?

Or, perhaps, if we consider the statement:

"The Education Department did not deny teachers at Punchbowl had been given compensation for stressful or intimidating incidents."

Perhaps 'compensation' means 'paid leave'? Who knows, but as I keep saying - you're just throwing out red herrings here.

And just as an interesting footnote, Mrs A's full final quote is this:

Quote:
“I challenge the Minister and DET heads to deny that religious ideology and beliefs are not having an effect or place in our classrooms or schools,” she said.

“It has and it is still happening. It’s time to leave all ideologies at the school gate — be they religious, political, personal or social. And just focus on education not minority beliefs or theories.”
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Anyone want to argue against that?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 5th April 2017 at 11:24 AM.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 12:43 PM   #114
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
OK, you're starting to fall back on your default tactics now; poisoning the well - "Well, it IS 'The Daily Fail...", "This IS 'The Torygraph' you're talking about";
This is quite a different response to me than your "Ah, OK. I don't know much about Australian newspapers" response to The Don when he told you the same thing about how the Daily Telegraph was less than trustworthy.

Interesting.

Quote:
and focussing on trivial details which make no difference overall - "But they didn't mention LEAVE!", like it actually changes anything, or is proof of something.
The DoE spokesperson didn't mention leave at all. They certainly didn't confirm that it took place (because the Daily Telegraph would certainly have made a big deal about it if they had, particularly since the DoE actually did confirm an incident that happened). The Daily Telegraph took that complete lack of comment one way or the other, and triumphantly crowed that since they didn't deny it (but, of course, didn't confirm it either) it must be true.

That's not journalism. That's trying to push a specific interpretation despite the lack of any verifiable information to support it.

Quote:
Mrs A claimed she was intimidated and threatened. She claimed other teachers were too. This was indirectly confirmed by a DoE spokesperson (using their weaselly quote), but directly by a spokesperson for the Education Minister:
Not really, since the only incident on record that could have been confirmed (the one in the supposed actual report, not the version told by Mrs. A) didn't involve any kind of intimidation or harassment.

Then again, this is the same woman who thinks that halal food being served at some special school events constitutes "harassment" and "radical behavior", so her bar for such things is apparently awfully low.

Quote:
Both the Tenplay and Telegraph articles don't flow too well, but it is clear that both incidents happened at the Public School; they speak about the initial claims, then make a comparison to the High School, then return to Mrs A's allegations, from The Telegraph
You quote the paraphrased Ten article, rather than the Daily Telegraph original. Which, as I noted above, provides a link in the sentence "an official complaint from a teacher obtained by The Daily Telegraph" for one of the incidents which goes to an article about the high school. If it's an error, it remains uncorrected to this day, three weeks later (pretty sloppy "journalism"). If it's not an error, what incident are they referring to such that a story about the high school is relevant to that specific sentence?

Quote:
Given that Mrs A also claims that the DoE dismissed/ignored her claims initially, it's not surprising that they're playing it very carefully and only confirming one incident.
Not true. The Daily Telegraph article says that she claimed there was an incident report filed for that incident, and the students were punished. The only incident report obtained by the Daily Telegraph themselves describes a remarkably similar incident, but not one that actually matches the way Mrs. A described it as happening. If Mrs. A's incident is the one that was confirmed, then Mrs. A is being less than accurate about what happened.

Quote:
As for the 'leave issue', what's your point? If it was untrue, would the DoE not be falling over themselves to point out the falsehood?
Why would you assume that? They didn't seem to comment on any of the allegations Mrs. A made, and only responded to the Daily Telegraph asking them about their purported incident reports. One spokeswoman explicitly stated that she wasn't going to comment on anything about any particular school, and the other spokesman confirmed that one incident happened (according to Scott, it was actually the only incident that took place), but made no other comment about anything else. They didn't even comment on the completely anodyne claimed incidents, such as the one about students teasing each other about “eating sausages and seafood because they were doing work related to food in the classroom”.

Quote:
And if it DIDN'T happen - teachers didn't get leave for stress - how does that change the fact that teachers were compensated for incidents involving intimidation and stress?
Do you have anything which actually shows this, other than the Daily Telegraph's unsupported assertions that it happened and weasel-wording that the DoE spokeswoman "didn't deny" it? Why did the Daily Telegraph actually quote the other statements made by the two spokespeople, but only paraphrased this lack of denial (which you quote as if it's a direct statement from the DoE, which is obviously the Daily Telegraph's intention in writing it the way they did)?

Again, it's been three weeks since the article in the OP and the article you linked to were written. Has there been anything new to report since then or any corroborating evidence provided by either the Daily Telegraph or Mrs. A?

Quote:
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Anyone want to argue against that?
As I said upthread, I wonder if she felt that way about Punchbowl Public School celebrating Christmas (their Facebook page even features some rather cute pictures of younger students getting an in-classroom visit from Santa Claus).
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni

Last edited by A'isha; 5th April 2017 at 12:44 PM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.