ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mormonism

Old 3rd May 2017, 02:22 PM   #2561
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GuitKitty View Post
Um, do I have to be witty and/or funny in order to testify to the DropBear Epistle? I did have a beer with dinner last night, so that can't hurt, right? I mean, with the whole witnessing thing?

I'd say that counts.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2017, 03:46 PM   #2562
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

So ... what are you looking for? A mere statement that I'm aware the DropBear Epistle exists? Or do you need a written affidavit signed in red ink by seven Hobbit lawyers swearing that I've seen the original parchment / gold plates / tissue paper upon which it was written and which, if proven false, would be considered equivalent to perjury?

Also, am I at risk of suffering the same fate as the original three witnesses?
Two of them were excommunicated.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:20 PM   #2563
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
So ... what are you looking for? A mere statement that I'm aware the DropBear Epistle exists? Or do you need a written affidavit signed in red ink by seven Hobbit lawyers swearing that I've seen the original parchment / gold plates / tissue paper upon which it was written and which, if proven false, would be considered equivalent to perjury?

Also, am I at risk of suffering the same fate as the original three witnesses?

Two of them were excommunicated.

I think all I really need is a statement on par with the BoM witnesses. Having seen the tablets in a "vision" by whatever definition of that term you prefer is sufficient. Since the Dropbear Epistle has no prohibition on alcohol or "hot drinks" your definition of "vision" has considerable flexibility.

As far as excommunication goes, this is a fresh translation of a historical document. I doubt the religious folks who believe the shoddily translated and heavily redacted "Book of Mormon" as it is known today will accept my superior and more accurate translation. Someone may accept the truth of it's superior accuracy, but I doubt there will be a correlation between the document's original witnesses and anyone who forms a religion around it.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:24 PM   #2564
fromdownunder
Philosopher

OK, there used to be a large population of Dropbears here, and they instinctively knew not to eat Australians. For example, seeing somebody eating a 4'nTwenty Pie, or putting a shrimp on the Barbie, or wearing a hat with corks hanging down from it, or picking your nose = they really knew not to touch these people, and only went for the foreign Tourists.

(For foreign tourists, showering in Wombat urine was said to reduce the chance of attack, and reduce the chance of doing anything much at all)

Unfortunately (for the Dropbears) they became close to extinct when the Yowies discovered how delicious they were, and killed of 96.2% of the population. The remaining Dropbears live in isolation and tiny groups, feeding mainly off backpackers.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:51 PM   #2565
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
Having a beer definitely helps the whole witnessing thing!

Now there are four witnesses!

Apparently my visions of the drop bears from the north wasn't good enough? That's it! I'll just have to take my spruce beer enhanced visions elsewhere.

Good day to you good people!
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:03 PM   #2566
Zivan
Muse

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Apparently my visions of the drop bears from the north wasn't good enough? That's it! I'll just have to take my spruce beer enhanced visions elsewhere.

Of course your vision was good enough!

And, you even provided an excellent payment plan!
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 02:47 AM   #2567
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Woah, woah, woah now. Let's not be too hasty now, especially when it comes to spruce beer. That's good stuff.
Old 4th May 2017, 05:59 AM   #2568
GuitKitty
Scholar

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I'd say that counts.
Yay! I'm a witness!

Oh, um, I mean, verily, I hath witnessed through the eyes of God the translation of the Dropbear Epistle from the plates of magnesium (*nod the Winter Dropbears*). And so it came to pass that . . . stuff . . . happened. And things.
GuitKitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 08:21 AM   #2569
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Yay! I'm a witness!

Oh, um, I mean, verily, I hath witnessed through the eyes of God the translation of the Dropbear Epistle from the plates of magnesium (*nod the Winter Dropbears*). And so it came to pass that . . . stuff . . . happened. And things.
Testify!
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 09:27 AM   #2570
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Woah, woah, woah now. Let's not be too hasty now, especially when it comes to spruce beer. That's good stuff.
Especially since the Keeper of the Drop Bear epistles mandates the drinking of fermented beverages and hot drinks.

This is how churches split apart and later reform.
Old 4th May 2017, 03:18 PM   #2571
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Especially since the Keeper of the Drop Bear epistles mandates the drinking of fermented beverages and hot drinks.

This is how churches split apart and later reform.

Mmmm. Mulled wine....
Old 4th May 2017, 05:12 PM   #2572
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
OK, there used to be a large population of Dropbears here, and they instinctively knew not to eat Australians. For example, seeing somebody eating a 4'nTwenty Pie, or putting a shrimp on the Barbie, or wearing a hat with corks hanging down from it, or picking your nose = they really knew not to touch these people, and only went for the foreign Tourists.

(For foreign tourists, showering in Wombat urine was said to reduce the chance of attack, and reduce the chance of doing anything much at all)

Unfortunately (for the Dropbears) they became close to extinct when the Yowies discovered how delicious they were, and killed of 96.2% of the population. The remaining Dropbears live in isolation and tiny groups, feeding mainly off backpackers.

Norm
True story?
Old 4th May 2017, 05:21 PM   #2573
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Yay! I'm a witness!
Aaah, but are you one of the select 144,000; or just one of the other suckers?
Old 4th May 2017, 05:57 PM   #2574
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Oh, that number is just symbolic of there being a LOT of elect. It's like the Aztecs calling the innumerable gods of fermentation the "400 Rabbits." Those numbers looked BIG 2,000 and 3,000 years ago.
Old 5th May 2017, 05:39 AM   #2575
GuitKitty
Scholar

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Wait, aren't the 144,000 virgins? Yeah . . . no. Not one of them . . . . Unless I adopt the whole "kept myself spiritually pure" definition of virgin like some on the site.

Actually, even in that case . . . .
GuitKitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 07:15 AM   #2576
Beady
Philosopher

Wait, aren't the 144,000 virgins? Yeah . . . no. Not one of them . . . . Unless I adopt the whole "kept myself spiritually pure" definition of virgin like some on the site.

Actually, even in that case . . . .
Ahh, just cut it off and have done with it.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy