ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 10th February 2019, 12:00 PM   #4041
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
@Captain_Swoop, May I suggest a signature for you: "pearl diving in the cesspit, so you don't have to"
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
That may just be your perception due to the agony of the stupid-burn you're inflicting on yourself by posting Trump's tweets. (Way to take one for the team BTW)
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I appreciate being able to keep up with his crap without massaging his ego by adding to his follower numbers.
I wonder if Captain Swoop's efforts would qualify for an episode of "Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs" or CNN's "Somebody's Gotta Do It"?
Old 10th February 2019, 12:51 PM   #4042
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I wonder if Captain Swoop's efforts would qualify for an episode of "Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs" or CNN's "Somebody's Gotta Do It"?
If you ask me it's on a par with digging out the London Fatburg with a plastic motorway services teaspoon.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:02 PM   #4043
Minoosh
Philosopher

Quote:
Gallup asked the whole population of Latin America.
I doubt that, I bet it was a sample.

Trump's tweet:
Quote:
Gallup Poll: “Open Borders will potentially attract 42 million Latin Americans.” This would be a disaster for the U.S. We need the Wall now!
Why is he saying "will potentially attract" and "would be a disaster"? Isn't his position that the U.S. has open borders now? It seems like anything short of a wall he considers to be "open borders."

Last edited by Minoosh; 10th February 2019 at 03:04 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:06 PM   #4044
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I doubt that, I bet it was a sample.

Trump's tweet:
Why is he saying "will potentially attract" and "would be a disaster"? Isn't his position that the U.S. has open borders now? It seems like anything short of a wall he considers to be "open borders."
It's hard to keep track of fake threats.
Old 10th February 2019, 03:14 PM   #4045
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump lied and said auto manufacturers are "already moving factories back to the United States".

Reuters reports.

Since the start of the year GM alone has closed four US factories and laid off 4,500 workers.

Instead they invested $3 BILLION in factories in Brazil.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:18 PM   #4046
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The media was able to get my work schedule, something very easy to do, but it should have been reported as a positive, not negative. When the term Executive Time is used, I am generally working, not relaxing. In fact, I probably work more hours than almost any past President.....

....The fact is, when I took over as President, our Country was a mess. Depleted Military, Endless Wars, a potential War with North Korea, V.A., High Taxes & too many Regulations, Border, Immigration & HealthCare problems, & much more. I had no choice but to work very long hours!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:22 PM   #4047
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“President is on sound legal ground to declare a National Emergency. There have been 58 National Emergencies declared since the law was enacted in 1976, and 31 right now that are currently active, so this is hardly unprecedented.” Congressman @tommcclintock

The Border Committee Democrats are behaving, all of a sudden, irrationally. Not only are they unwilling to give dollars for the obviously needed Wall (they overrode recommendations of Border Patrol experts), but they don’t even want to take muderers into custody! What’s going on?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 10th February 2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10th February 2019, 03:24 PM   #4048
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump lied and said auto manufacturers are "already moving factories back to the United States".

Reuters reports.

Since the start of the year GM alone has closed four US factories and laid off 4,500 workers.

Trump stopped caring about his "moving back" statement just a few seconds after he finished saying it. And since then, he hasn't given a crap because it doesn't affect him personally.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:24 PM   #4049
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Well, it happened again. Amy Klobuchar announced that she is running for President, talking proudly of fighting global warming while standing in a virtual blizzard of snow, ice and freezing temperatures. Bad timing. By the end of her speech she looked like a Snowman(woman)!
Old 10th February 2019, 03:29 PM   #4050
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

Club for Growth

Feb 6
Agreed! Senate needs to confirm @realDonaldTrump Admin appointees. #SOTU
WE AGREE! The time is now! "The time has come to pass school choice for America's children." - @realDonaldTrump #SOTU
Old 10th February 2019, 03:30 PM   #4051
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Kurt Schlichter is a conservative author that has risen in prominence due to his over the top enthusiasm for Trump. Chapo Trap House has done some hilarious readings of his dystopian fantasies.
If I had a name like Kurt Schlichter, I would not be so quick to make jokes about Genocide.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:32 PM   #4052
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Well, it happened again. Amy Klobuchar announced that she is running for President, talking proudly of fighting global warming while standing in a virtual blizzard of snow, ice and freezing temperatures. Bad timing. By the end of her speech she looked like a Snowman(woman)!
hey, that is a nice,balmy day for Minnesota in Winter....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:33 PM   #4053
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

The media was able to get my work schedule, something very easy to do, but it should have been reported as a positive, not negative. When the term Executive Time is used, I am generally working, not relaxing. In fact, I probably work more hours than almost any past President.....

....The fact is, when I took over as President, our Country was a mess. Depleted Military, Endless Wars, a potential War with North Korea, V.A., High Taxes & too many Regulations, Border, Immigration & HealthCare problems, & much more. I had no choice but to work very long hours!
Does anyone still doubt this man is mentally ill?
Old 10th February 2019, 03:35 PM   #4054
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I can well imagine what Andrew Jackson would think of Trump.
HW Brands, who a wrote a very good biography of Old Hickory, wrote an article expliaing why Jackson would have despised Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th February 2019, 03:35 PM   #4055
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

Club for Growth

Feb 6
Agreed! Senate needs to confirm @realDonaldTrump Admin appointees. #SOTU
WE AGREE! The time is now! "The time has come to pass school choice for America's children." - @realDonaldTrump #SOTU
Is he responding to a comment from five days ago?? And who is he agreeing with? Someone he is watching on TV just now?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:53 PM   #4056
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's someone else's tweet ge just read is my guess.
It's probablyhiw he soends his executive time.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:11 PM   #4057
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Does anyone still doubt this man is mentally ill?
No, I do not doubt he has a very serious personality disorder.
He almost seems proud of his ability to avoid facts if they disagree
with his world view.

He sounds panicky now.

I'll go to the thread about his mental health to ask my question.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:12 PM   #4058
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

It's someone else's tweet he just read is my guess.
It's probably how he spends his executive time.
Still makes NO sense at all. But then, look who he is.

"Executive time". Yeah, right. More likely he is still trying to run real estate deals, think up excuses for his latest gaffes on TV, and round up the few remaining lawyers who are unscrupulous enough to try to wipe his own **** off his shoes defend his multiple suits in courts across the country.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:59 PM   #4059
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Republicans are arguing that it is wrong to look at President Trump’s tax returns.

Rep. Jackie Walorski, R., Indiana: tantamount to "weaponizing our tax laws to target a political foe."

“Pascrell was talking about hypocrisy. I'll tell you the Democrats are anything but hypocritical," Republican Rep. Tom Rice of South Carolina. "They love to weaponize the IRS, aka Lois Lerner, and now going after the president's tax returns."

Last edited by Ladewig; 10th February 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 05:10 PM   #4060
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jesus Christ can the tribes do anything but accuse the other side of being a hypocrite?

Hypocrisy isn't the only, greatest, and most unforgivable sin.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 05:14 PM   #4061
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post

I'll go to the thread about his mental health to ask my question.
Trump mental health thread
Old 10th February 2019, 06:21 PM   #4062
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Ranking Republican on House Foreign Affairs Committee, Michael McCaul, states Trump Administration isn't following the law with respect to Magnitsky Act regarding Jamal Khashoggi's murder.

Quote:
Lead Republican McCaul: “I am deeply troubled by the letter I received from the Administration regarding the brutal murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

“The letter does not meet the requirements of the “Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act”, which were invoked by letters from the bipartisan leaders of the House and Senate foreign policy committees last October.

“Jamal’s murder was appalling. The lesson of this terrible event needs to be that intimidation and violence by any government against peaceful dissent will be met with strong disapproval by responsible nations. Everyone involved in this gruesome crime must be identified and held accountable. When the United States fails to lead, we compromise our integrity and abandon those pursuing justice around the world.

“I call on the Administration to immediately comply with the requirements of the law, and to provide Congress with the information required.”
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 06:24 PM   #4063
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Jesus Christ can the tribes do anything but accuse the other side of being a hypocrite?

When the office is predicated on promises, and requires social networking, hypocrisy is the worst sin that *should* be committed. Of course there are more serious offenses like embezzlement, but there are laws for that. No law says a politician must meet all promises.
Old 10th February 2019, 08:07 PM   #4064
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

It's the easiest target since both sides do it.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:55 PM   #4065
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
"Executive time". Yeah, right. More likely he is still trying to run real estate deals, think up excuses for his latest gaffes on TV, and round up the few remaining lawyers who are unscrupulous enough to try to wipe his own **** off his shoes defend his multiple suits in courts across the country.
I don't think there's a big shortage of unscrupulous lawyers - just a shortage of ones willing to commit professional suicide by being associated with Trump. It seems like truly a thankless job with no real upside that I can determine. Even getting paid is iffy.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:56 PM   #4066
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't think there's a big shortage of unscrupulous lawyers - just a shortage of ones willing to commit professional suicide by being associated with Trump. It seems like truly a thankless job with no real upside that I can determine. Even getting paid is iffy.
And if it's cash up front, it won't be his cash. It will be yours if he can wangle it, i.e. the taxpayer.
Old 10th February 2019, 09:11 PM   #4067
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Republicans are arguing that it is wrong to look at President Trump’s tax returns.

Rep. Jackie Walorski, R., Indiana: tantamount to "weaponizing our tax laws to target a political foe."
The problem with that argument is that it ignores all the special circumstances surrounding Trump and his tax returns:

- His broken campaign promise and lies... "I will release my taxes but can't now because of the audit"

- His failure to either divest himself of his corporation, or at least use a proper blind trust

- Multiple investigations into Trump and his corporation... emoluments, Russia, etc.

Because of these particular issues, Trump's tax returns deserve additional scrutiny

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 09:22 PM   #4068
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Reuters reports. Since the start of the year GM alone has closed four US factories and laid off 4,500 workers.

This is what scares me the most about Donnie. He's an idiot. For instance, not too many years ago he was still bragging about how great his casinos were doing when one of the major banks that had loaned him a lot of money did an audit. Due diligence. They were shocked to find out, Trump's casinos were on the brink of financial collapse. Then they had a hard time convincing DonnieBoy that he was staring into a financial abyss. When someone like Rex Tillerson calls you an idiot, it's because YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

The Gallup poll. They claim to have "asked the whole population of Latin America...450 million adults" if they would like to emigrate to another country. Reportedly, of that number 120 million people said yes, they would like to emigrate. Of that number, 35% (or 42 million) said their first choice would be the U.S. Link to Gallup
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 09:51 PM   #4069
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This is what scares me the most about Donnie. He's an idiot. For instance, not too many years ago he was still bragging about how great his casinos were doing when one of the major banks that had loaned him a lot of money did an audit. Due diligence. They were shocked to find out, Trump's casinos were on the brink of financial collapse. Then they had a hard time convincing DonnieBoy that he was staring into a financial abyss. When someone like Rex Tillerson calls you an idiot, it's because YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

The Gallup poll. They claim to have "asked the whole population of Latin America...450 million adults" if they would like to emigrate to another country. Reportedly, of that number 120 million people said yes, they would like to emigrate. Of that number, 35% (or 42 million) said their first choice would be the U.S. Link to Gallup
Why would the head of a polling organization make such a statement when they could actually make a pretty good claim as far as sampling goes....notably, other than in tiny populations where they seem to have sampled 500 persons, they got answers from 1000 people in every country. That's a poll sample of over 20,000 and these were mostly face-to-face questioning. And compared to polls that ask 1500 people nationwide in the USA, the Gallup numbers are pretty good, albeit almost two years old.

(Notwithstanding that they could use some commercial know-how. You don't get an accurate survey of the real estate market by asking "Would you desire to move?" You get a worthless figure. When forecasting companies ask those questions they might ask the generic one, but further down, they get to the real "meat". Are You Currently Planning To (move, expand, purchase, etc...) In the Next Two Fiscal Years. )

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 10th February 2019 at 09:54 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 10:20 PM   #4070
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't really make sense to me either but this was from their website (that I linked):
Quote:
Gallup asked the whole population of Latin America. There are 33 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean. Roughly 450 million adults live in the region. Gallup asked them, "Would you like to move to another country permanently if you could?" A whopping 27% said "yes." So this means roughly 120 million would like to migrate somewhere.

The next question Gallup asked was, "Where would you like to move?" Of those who want to leave their Latin American country permanently, 35% said they want to go to the United States.

The Gallup analytics estimate is that 42 million want to come to the U.S.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/chai...on-border.aspx
This is from a blog on the Gallup site, authored by Jim Clifton, their Chairman and CEO. Referring to himself as a US citizen, Clifton goes on to ponder the following:
Quote:
Rather than find a solution for the several thousand potential migrants currently at the border, let's start by answering the bigger, harder question -- what about the 42 million who would like to come? What is the message to those millions who will seek entrance either legally or illegally? What should we tell them?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 10:37 PM   #4071
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
It doesn't really make sense to me either but this was from their website (that I linked):

This is from a blog on the Gallup site, authored by Jim Clifton, their Chairman and CEO. Referring to himself as a US citizen, Clifton goes on to ponder the following:
Oh, I grokked who he is and I read the statement, a bit surprised that he actually said they interviewed everyone in Latin America. From there you can click-around and find the actual data, which is where I got the number polled in each country.

But the question is silly. "If you could..." doesn't say are you unhappy where you are? There are people, lots of them in many countries who feel tied to their jobs and families but who, if they could, might consider trying out a new country. If you asked that question about the fifty states, I bet a pretty large number would affirm, and then if asked where, Hawaii would probably tip over from the 35,000,000 Americans who'd like to "live there if I could". I was one of those people, once. There was no logistics work in Hawaii at the time, so it turned into "sorry, but I can't".

The more appropriate questions would be those that would determine just what restrictions most people see on the "if I could" part. I'd bet well over half of the affirmative responses have multiple reasons why they can't.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 10:40 PM   #4072
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I'm sure if you ask 1000 Americans where would they like most to live, at least 400 of them would want to live in Mar-a-Lago and be waited on hand and foot. That translates to something like 128 million Americans alone wanting to go there. Donny better think seriously about building MUCH higher walls around his property, plus a dome and laser cannons, than worry about 42 million Latin Americans arriving in the USA on one big boat.
Old 11th February 2019, 02:32 AM   #4073
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

The U.S. will soon control 100% of ISIS territory in Syria. @CNN (do you believe this?).
Old 11th February 2019, 03:22 AM   #4074
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Does it occur her that if Der Trumpenführer's tax returns are all correct and in order, they can't be weaponaized against him?

Does it occur to her that if Der Trumpenführer does not want to have Congress see his tax returns, it almost certainly means he has something to hide?
Old 11th February 2019, 03:28 AM   #4075
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

The U.S. will soon control 100% of ISIS territory in Syria. @CNN (do you believe this?).
Didn't he say a few weeks ago that ISIS were already defeated?
Old 11th February 2019, 03:34 AM   #4076
Belz...
Fiend God

Looking at their birth certificate, however, is just fine.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:20 AM   #4077
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but he didn't say the ISIS territories were defeated..........
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:38 AM   #4078
Belz...
Fiend God

You have really got to love this guy. After it's been shown over and over that he spends most of his time not doing anything, he blatantly lies and says he works harder than anyone who ever lived (ok that's hyperbole, but not quite far from the mark.)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8772881.html

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:57 AM   #4079
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Surely he means Syria and Russia control it?
Old 11th February 2019, 05:42 AM   #4080
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is the second time in recent days, Travis, you are sharing some nebulous crap with us from Twitter.

See that Tweet you linked to? Who the hell is the person they are quoting?

After all we know now about Russian bots spreading this crap around, why are you spreading it without a little checking?

Who are they quoting???????
He's a real Trump supporter, author and known traitor to his country, making many appearances in support of that thing defiling the Whitehouse.

What difference does it make? If you can make the broad brush coat all Trump supporters, why not do it? The blow can be below the belt; the only thing that matters is that the blow lands.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics