ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:04 AM   #121
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Quote:
From some benighted Fox "News" page: "The White House has made it clear that top Democrats in Congress will be facing a difficult battle if they try to advance their agenda for re-opening the federal government from the partial shutdown
So wanting a normally functioning government is an "agenda," while Trump's useless and hyper-expensive boondoggle intended only to garner partisan support somehow is not. Wow. I expect to see such drivel in any third world backwater, but.... oh, right. Republicans.
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:59 AM   #122
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Here we go with Mitt Romney, but so fast! Question will be, is he a Flake? I hope not. Would much prefer that Mitt focus on Border Security and so many other things where he can be helpful. I won big, and he didn’t. He should be happy for all Republicans. Be a TEAM player & WIN!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:09 AM   #123
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

If someone made a documentary about this presidency, time-traveled and showed it to people, it would be deemed unbelievable. Critics would say that the evil villain president isn't a believable enough character and that people couldn't possibly be dumb enough to support/vote for him.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:34 AM   #124
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
If someone made a documentary about this presidency, time-traveled and showed it to people, it would be deemed unbelievable. Critics would say that the evil villain president isn't a believable enough character and that people couldn't possibly be dumb enough to support/vote for him.
If you picked people at random, 40% would be supportive of it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:35 AM   #125
Tero
Graduate Poster

MSNBC: Trump is a runaway beer truck.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:02 AM   #126
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
MSNBC: Trump is a runaway beer truck.
Brett Kavanaugh: Mmmm.
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:33 AM   #127
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

Mexico is paying for the Wall through the new USMCA Trade Deal. Much of the Wall has already been fully renovated or built. We have done a lot of work. $5.6 Billion Dollars that House has approved is very little in comparison to the benefits of National Security. Quick payback!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:34 AM   #128
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Suddenly it's almost complete and Mexico paid for it?

Then why does he need the $5bn that he has closed the Govt down over?
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:45 AM   #129
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
100% foolproof just means Trump can't figure out a way to get over it.
Trump couldn't figure his way out of a wet paper bag... Hmmm I wonder how much would it cost to get enough of them to cover 2,000 miles? Of course the cost would be in keeping them wet in some places and replacing them when they did catch an illegal immigrant.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:00 AM   #130
carlitos
"más divertido"

Trump is kind of right about some things never changing, like the nature of walls. The majority of drugs from Mexico go through border checkpoints, not through clandestine crossing points, same as the way the Great Wall of China was vulnerable at its checkpoints and gates. The Mongols made it through garrisons and open gates; they didn't breach or cross the wall.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:03 AM   #131
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The internecine warfare within the GOP is going to ratchet up, considerably, IMHO. Potential protest candidates like Flake, Romney and Kasich are going to go after Trump and Trump's minions. Wildcards like Conway will take more of a theater of guerrilla operations approach.

Let the games begin. Trump may have to go for a thumb transplant. He can't let personal slights pass, so he'll be going after all of 'em.
You may be right.

Families will be torn apart!

Ronna McDaniel (née Romney), chair of the RNC:

"POTUS is attacked and obstructed by the MSM media and Democrats 24/7. For an incoming Republican freshman senator to attack @realdonaldtrump as their first act feeds into what the Democrats and media want and is disappointing and unproductive."

https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/st...75217850519552
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:05 AM   #132
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
You could travel back to 2014 and folk wouldn't believe it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:11 AM   #133
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't someone suggest Trump should just declare that the wall was built?
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:45 AM   #134
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

He should. This followers will believe anything he tells them.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:15 AM   #135
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Here we go with Mitt Romney, but so fast! Question will be, is he a Flake? I hope not. Would much prefer that Mitt focus on Border Security and so many other things where he can be helpful. I won big, and he didn’t. He should be happy for all Republicans. Be a TEAM player & WIN!
There's Romney's first subject : actual border security and how best to enhance it. Actual drug interdiction, not a simplistic panacea. Effective measures, not a vanity project.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:30 AM   #136
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think I know the problem: He reads "Fox and Friends" as "Facts and Friends".
He's still waiting for the actual fox to come on the show. But that's a good, patriotic fox, not like those people smuggling coyotes.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:37 AM   #137
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Trump couldn't figure his way out of a wet paper bag... Hmmm I wonder how much would it cost to get enough of them to cover 2,000 miles? Of course the cost would be in keeping them wet in some places and replacing them when they did catch an illegal immigrant.
Well, he couldn't figure his way onto a plane with an umbrella anyway.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:03 AM   #138
carlitos
"más divertido"

Quote:
I won big, and he didn’t.
This is yet another example of Trump's grammar stepping on his argument. Trump won 46% of the popular vote for president, and Romney won 63% of the popular vote for his senate seat.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:17 AM   #139
zorro99
Muse

I agree with Romney that Trump has not risen to the mantle of the office.
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:17 AM   #140
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/MrFilmkritik/sta...38554483908608

Quote:
It's funny, the last government shutdown was for 3.4 billion dollars over healthcare. The Republicans said we couldn't afford it.

Will someone please explain to me if they couldn't afford 3.4 billion dollars for healthcare, then how they can afford 5 billion for a damn wall?
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:51 AM   #141
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
And everyone with half a brain knows its not going to be 5 billion to complete the wall. It will be 20 or 30 billion at least.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:54 AM   #142
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Well, trump claims it's almost finished and Mexico paid.
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:55 AM   #143
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Here we go with Mitt Romney, but so fast!
I'm still trying to figure this one out. Was it supposed to be "but not so fast!"?
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:59 AM   #144
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If you picked people at random, 40% would be supportive of it.
Just to troll the other side, if nothing else.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:02 AM   #145
Minoosh
Philosopher

I'm thinking maybe the Senate should just approve the $5 billion. Dems included. There's no way Trump is going to be effective at getting *anything* done for $5 billion. It will get eaten up in corruption.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:04 AM   #146
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
This is yet another example of Trump's grammar stepping on his argument. Trump won 46% of the popular vote for president, and Romney won 63% of the popular vote for his senate seat.
In that case Romney won more of the popular vote for president than Trump did. Over a popular candidate. 47.2 percent according to what I just Googled.

EC different though.
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:06 AM   #147
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm thinking maybe the Senate should just approve the $5 billion. Dems included. There's no way Trump is going to be effective at getting *anything* done for $5 billion. It will get eaten up in corruption.
I disagree. The Dems cannot let Trump win. We can't have a government run by temper tantrums. It sets a bad precedent.
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:10 AM   #148
zorro99
Muse

The Trump prophecy

What if you heard a Voice, different from your thinking voice, a Powerful Voice talking to you in the second person inside your head? Giving you details you’d never imagined about one of the most important events in the world? Would you listen? More importantly, if you’re a Christian, and live your life in accordance with your understanding of His will and purpose, what would it take to convince you that God had spoken to you?

Mark Taylor, a recently retired fireman; had this experience. Around 2 a.m. on the night of April 28, 2011, and unable to sleep he was channel surfing when he clicked on C-Span. The man on the screen was Donald Trump, and Mark had the premonition that he heard God say “You are hearing the voice of the next President.” Little did Mark know several dozen video recordings of others documented that they also got the same message and were equally convinced it came from God.

https://www.thetrumpprophecymovie.com/about
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:33 AM   #149
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I disagree. The Dems cannot let Trump win. We can't have a government run by temper tantrums. It sets a bad precedent.
And there is no hope of compromise with someone who cannot understand the concept of compromise. The best Trump will offer is 'you agree to what I want and I might say nice things about how smart you were for agreeing with me'. Just to make matters worse as we've already seen Trump is perfectly capable of agreeing to something and then doing a complete 180 because somebody on 'Fox & Friends' says mean things about him.
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:36 AM   #150
carlitos
"más divertido"

In that case Romney won more of the popular vote for president than Trump did.
LOL. Trump is the Twitter King of the Self-Owns.
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:48 AM   #151
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
What if you heard a Voice, different from your thinking voice, a Powerful Voice talking to you in the second person inside your head? Giving you details you’d never imagined about one of the most important events in the world? Would you listen? More importantly, if you’re a Christian, and live your life in accordance with your understanding of His will and purpose, what would it take to convince you that God had spoken to you?
I am a Christian. If I heard a voice tell me that I should support a weak, degenerate, corrupt, ignorant, treasonous, immature, spiteful, racist, misogynist grifter for President, I would conclude that the voice was more likely that of Satan than God, and more likely the result of a neurological issue than either.

Mark Taylor, a recently retired fireman; had this experience. Around 2 a.m. on the night of April 28, 2011, and unable to sleep he was channel surfing when he clicked on C-Span. The man on the screen was Donald Trump, and Mark had the premonition that he heard God say “You are hearing the voice of the next President.” Little did Mark know several dozen video recordings of others documented that they also got the same message and were equally convinced it came from God.

Wait, now I’m supposed to get my political and theological guidance from a fireman? I am a (volunteer) firefighter. Our motto is “strong backs, weak minds”.

A number of the guys and gals I ride with are Trump fans. I trust them with my life, but not with my democracy.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:48 AM   #152
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

In that case Romney won more of the popular vote for president than Trump did. Over a popular candidate. 47.2 percent according to what I just Googled.

EC different though.
Yes, but you're ignoring the millions of illegal aliens who were bused across the border to vote for Clinton!
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:00 PM   #153
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The Dems must keep saying no to the wall money, and make sure they are SEEN to be the ones trying to end the shutdown. If the Dems apply enough pressure, and keep it on, there will be Republicans who will crack, pressured by their own constituents to vote with them and overturn Der Trumpenführer's veto.

The deplorables will squeal like stuck pigs if that happens, but **** them. The US Government must not be held to ransom by the toddler in the WH throwing a temper tantrum because he's not getting his own way.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 2nd January 2019 at 12:03 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:23 PM   #154
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The Dems must keep saying no to the wall money, and make sure they are SEEN to be the ones trying to end the shutdown. If the Dems apply enough pressure, and keep it on, there will be Republicans who will crack, pressured by their own constituents to vote with them and overturn Der Trumpenführer's veto.
20 Republican Senators are needed to overturn a veto. There are 7 Republicans from "purple" states: Flake, Scott, Rubio, Collins, Portman, Toomey, and Ron Johnson. Then there's the two from Utah, obviously Romney has set himself up to be the anti-Trump, the other Senator I'm not so sure about. But those 9 have one thing in common, they can go against Trump without too much worry about being primaried by a Trump thumping candidate. I could also see Lindsey Graham overriding Trump. But where do the other 10 Senators come from? They are all in Trumpistan. They'll have to put the good of the country above re-election.

ETA: Add Gardner from Colorado to that list. Maybe Murkowski from Alaska. So 8 or 9 names left to find.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 2nd January 2019 at 12:26 PM.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:37 PM   #155
Minoosh
Philosopher

I'm torn on this. Trump's whole term has been a bad precedent. Emotionally I agree with you; I don't want Trump to get a win either. But maybe we could really use $5 billion worth of upgrades to existing physical barriers. I was thinking maybe the legislation could be written in such a way as to allow actual security experts to decide what kind of barriers would be installed.

Trump won't admit it but he has had to walk back his "wall" rhetoric. Maybe they could allocate $5 billion, but stipulate that the barrier will be called a "fence."
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:50 PM   #156
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
I am a Christian. If I heard a voice tell me that I should support a weak, degenerate, corrupt, ignorant, treasonous, immature, spiteful, racist, misogynist grifter for President, I would conclude that the voice was more likely that of Satan than God, and more likely the result of a neurological issue than either.

<snip>
For an "alternate" take on this movie, I would recommend "Goodnight Kevin's" YouTube review - lets just say he does not like it* ...

* Which is "normal" for him: even though he is a Christian, he has a dim view about most of the films directed towards his fellow believers...
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:51 PM   #157
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
20 Republican Senators are needed to overturn a veto. There are 7 Republicans from "purple" states: Flake, Scott, Rubio, Collins, Portman, Toomey, and Ron Johnson. Then there's the two from Utah, obviously Romney has set himself up to be the anti-Trump, the other Senator I'm not so sure about. But those 9 have one thing in common, they can go against Trump without too much worry about being primaried by a Trump thumping candidate. I could also see Lindsey Graham overriding Trump. But where do the other 10 Senators come from? They are all in Trumpistan. They'll have to put the good of the country above re-election.

ETA: Add Gardner from Colorado to that list. Maybe Murkowski from Alaska. So 8 or 9 names left to find.
Or it could take just Mitch-the-Turtle to finally realise his whole ugly career is getting covered in excrement and publicly going down the toilet because he is supporting a tantrumming crackpot toddler in the White House screwing up the country over a really stupid and pointless idea. That he has picked entirely the wrong hill to die on. And that he can rescue himself only by getting the Repubs in the Senate to compromise.

But that's not likely. Is it.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:58 PM   #158
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I disagree. The Dems cannot let Trump win. We can't have a government run by temper tantrums. It sets a bad precedent president.
FTFY so Trump can understand it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:03 PM   #159
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
20 Republican Senators are needed to overturn a veto. There are 7 Republicans from "purple" states: Flake...
Tomorrow is Flake's last day as a Senator, and only part of it at that.

It might be a good point that any Senator elected or re-elected in the latest election will be in office as long as Trump regardless.
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:09 PM   #160
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I'd say someone needs to talk to a professional mental health care worker.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics