ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 01:04 AM   #281
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
... How is it that Republican supporters, pre election, continually swallow the bs about fiscal responsibility when the Republican led governments are always the ones blowing up the national debt?
Indeed the case. It is because "ending entitlements" (and thus the tax cut "logic") is thought to stick it to brown people. This is in spite of the fact that whites are, for example, heavy users of food stamps. Facts only ever hit home after the fevered pre-electoral rabble rousing dies down. Oopsie! Such shocking realizations await those who, say, now push for drug testing for people receiving any public assistance, as guess who exactly is having an opioid crisis. Gosh, oops again. Does dumb get any dumber?

The 36 wackiest lines from Donald Trump's totally bizarre Cabinet meeting
Following any of this and not immediately considering the man totally unfit for office is a sure sign of glue-sniffing idiocy, and constitutes a public confession of witless, drooling nihilism.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 4th January 2019 at 01:05 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:09 AM   #282
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I basically concur. Assign Trump-trolling duty to the wannabe candidates, comedians, columnists, et al....
The guy who could troll Dump till he keeled over is Al Franken. He'd be a killer of a candidate against Dump. Gawd, I wish he were in the mix.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:24 AM   #283
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Indeed the case. It is because "ending entitlements" (and thus the tax cut "logic") is thought to stick it to brown people. This is in spite of the fact that whites are, for example, heavy users of food stamps. Facts only ever hit home after the fevered pre-electoral rabble rousing dies down. Oopsie! Such shocking realizations await those who, say, now push for drug testing for people receiving any public assistance, as guess who exactly is having an opioid crisis. Gosh, oops again. Does dumb get any dumber?

The 36 wackiest lines from Donald Trump's totally bizarre Cabinet meeting
Following any of this and not immediately considering the man totally unfit for office is a sure sign of glue-sniffing idiocy, and constitutes a public confession of witless, drooling nihilism.
It's like listening to a TV show where the host interviews little kids. For those old enough to remember the old Art Linkletter show, "Kids Say the Darndest Things", it's like a trip down memory lane.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:31 AM   #284
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

From a story on CNN:

Just how many years until those tax cuts trickle down into increased revenue?

How is it that Republican supporters, pre election, continually swallow the bs about fiscal responsibility when the Republican led governments are always the ones blowing up the national debt?
The paleo trickle down clowns just talk more than anyone and rely on Sparky and Muriel sitting in front of the television scratchin' and rockin' and noddin',

"Yeah, that makes sense, Muriel. Why when we got that thirty-five hundred dollars for not raising beef cattle, we spread it around at shops in town."
"I think you're mis-recollecting, Sparky. That thirty-five hundred we spent on those two new AK-47s; it was the four thousand that we went to Downtown Corners with and spent on the new flatscreen and the pool table."
"Yeah, I get 'em confused, hon'. What are we not growing this year?"
"Soybeans! There's just truckloads of federal money to be made not growing soybeans this year."
"Ah, the rural life! Living off the land and earning by the sweat of one's brow. Not like them welfare queens that Alderman Goofus says he's gonna cut off if we vote for him for Senator!"
"Yeah, the country's in too much debt from giving stuff away to bums!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:45 AM   #285
SezMe
post-pre-born

How is it that Republican supporters, pre election, continually swallow the bs about fiscal responsibility when the Republican led governments are always the ones blowing up the national debt?
The part that really grinds my molars is that the Reps run up the deficit while in office then, when the Dems take over and try to repair the damage, the Reps whine endlessly about how high the debt is.

For example, the GOP (read: Ted Cruz) blew a gasket about raising the debt ceiling while Obama was in office. Yet, one of their first acts in Congress after 2016 was to massively raise the debt ceiling with nary a "Nay" to be heard from their side of the aisle. The hypocrisy is higher than the Burj Khalifa.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:04 AM   #286
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
The part that really grinds my molars is that the Reps run up the deficit while in office then, when the Dems take over and try to repair the damage, the Reps whine endlessly about how high the debt is.

For example, the GOP (read: Ted Cruz) blew a gasket about raising the debt ceiling while Obama was in office. Yet, one of their first acts in Congress after 2016 was to massively raise the debt ceiling with nary a "Nay" to be heard from their side of the aisle. The hypocrisy is higher than the Burj Khalifa.
In the case or Cruz, it is all about attention and nothing more. General hypocrisy aside even the rest of the Republican party hates the guy.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:54 AM   #287
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Has anyone figured out his comment from his most recent bizarre statements about being in the big secret room with so many computer boards?

Did he mean computer stations? Screens? Did any of the geek sites follow up on it. I realize he says so many bizarre things that not all of them end up on the radar but that struck me as stream-of-consciousness verbal diarrhea.
He'd said that he had a meeting in some sort of special room (I forget what he called it). I imagine it was something like the Situation Room from WarGames or Independence Day.

The guy who could troll Dump till he keeled over is Al Franken. He'd be a killer of a candidate against Dump. Gawd, I wish he were in the mix.
I so wish he was still around. It kills me to think he was pushed out because of a silly picture taken before he was an elected official (where certain other people have done much worse.)
Old 4th January 2019, 08:03 AM   #288
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

As I have stated many times, if the Democrats take over the House or Senate, there will be disruption to the Financial Markets. We won the Senate, they won the House. Things will settle down. They only want to impeach me because they know they can’t win in 2020, too much success!

How do you impeach a president who has won perhaps the greatest election of all time, done nothing wrong (no Collusion with Russia, it was the Dems that Colluded), had the most successful first two years of any president, and is the most popular Republican in party history 93%?

GREAT JOBS NUMBERS JUST ANNOUNCED!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 08:21 AM   #289
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

As I have stated many times, if the Democrats take over the House or Senate, there will be disruption to the Financial Markets. We won the Senate, they won the House. Things will settle down. They only want to impeach me because they know they can’t win in 2020, too much success!

How do you impeach a president who has won perhaps the greatest election of all time, done nothing wrong (no Collusion with Russia, it was the Dems that Colluded), had the most successful first two years of any president, and is the most popular Republican in party history 93%?

Wow. Delusional. Completely delusional.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 08:49 AM   #290
carlitos
"más divertido"

Quote:
the greatest election of all time
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 08:49 AM   #291
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Trump Tweets

Where oh where did he get that number from? I'm not sure he'd poll that high in an internal Fox News employee only poll.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:03 AM   #292
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Where oh where did he get that number from? I'm not sure he'd poll that high in an internal Fox News employee only poll.
His own cabinet?

His family?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:07 AM   #293
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
His own cabinet?

His family?
He really acts like Hitler in his bunker in 1945, doesn't he.
Old 4th January 2019, 09:12 AM   #294
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
He really acts like Hitler in his bunker in 1945, doesn't he.
With one obvious exception...
Old 4th January 2019, 09:14 AM   #295
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
With one obvious exception...
I presume you don't mean that he really likes the Russians?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:19 AM   #296
carlosy
Thinker

His family?
Hmm, who would be the 7% for disapproval?
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:23 AM   #297
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Lack of a fashionable mustache?
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:24 AM   #298
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
...the most popular Republican in party history 93%?
It appears to come from a poll done for the Washington Post.

In the poll, Trump had an approval rating of 85% from Republicans overall. However, the poll further broke down republican voters into people who 'strongly' identify with republicans, those who identify with them but not 'strongly', and those who are independent but lean republican. (Not sure how they define 'strongly' in this context, but I assume it could relate to a person's willingness to drop support.) It was in the group that "strongly identified" with republicans that his approval rating was 93%. His approval ratings from those who are republicans but who don't consider themselves 'strongly' republican was only 72%.

The issue isn't so much that Trump himself is popular (obvious to most of us here). The issue is that the republican party is shedding former repubublican supporters who are unhappy with Trump and the GOP congress-critters, and are left with only a core group of bigots.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...licans-1061846

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:30 AM   #299
carlitos
"más divertido"

"Among people who strongly identify with my political party, I'm the most popular president ever."

It's like a case study of how not to be self-aware or correct for obvious biases.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:47 AM   #300
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
In the case or Cruz, it is all about attention and nothing more. General hypocrisy aside even the rest of the Republican party hates the guy.
From what I hear, to know him is to loathe him.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:51 AM   #301
Armitage72
Master Poster

Lack of a wife willing to stand beside him to the bitter end?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 10:00 AM   #302
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Quote:
the greatest election of all time
Old 4th January 2019, 10:18 AM   #303
eerok
Quixoticist

Maybe he'll manage one in some future comb-over.
Old 4th January 2019, 10:54 AM   #304
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Me too. I think it was ridiculous that he stepped down.
Old 4th January 2019, 12:33 PM   #305
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump claimed previous presidents have told him they wish they’d built a border wall. Really? Obama? either Bush? Clinton? Carter?

When have they ever expressed interest in a border wall?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:36 PM   #306
jeremyp
Muse

I think it is that he hasn't shot himself.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:43 PM   #307
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump claimed previous presidents have told him they wish they’d built a border wall. Really? Obama? either Bush? Clinton? Carter?

Bush the Lesser did put up a partial border fence.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:44 PM   #308
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

kevin mccarthy finished speaking and trump said "thank you, steve"
He's sundowning again.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:52 PM   #309
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

This tweet belongs in the "Trump has 'dangerous mental illness' " thread as indisputable evidence.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:53 PM   #310
chrispy
Muse

Is anyone else watching this **** show? This man doesn't have a clue what the **** he is talking about. They even tried to cut him off by using the cold as an excuse, and he KEEPS going!! What the actual ****?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:56 PM   #311
chrispy
Muse

This is unbelievable. I didn't think I could be shocked anymore, but here we are...
Old 4th January 2019, 01:00 PM   #312
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is now talking about "the military version of eminent domain" to build the wall
Old 4th January 2019, 01:02 PM   #313
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

But your honour, I did a great job of robbing that bank, I am the greatest bank robber of all time you can't convict me!
Old 4th January 2019, 01:14 PM   #314
Armitage72
Master Poster

We all know which former Presidents that Trump listens to. The ones in his wallet are the only ones he cares about.
(And I have no doubt that he thinks Ben Franklin was President at some point.)

Last edited by Armitage72; 4th January 2019 at 01:15 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:18 PM   #315
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Do I take it from his recent comments that he is thinking of giving himself “national emergency” powers to fund his wall?
Old 4th January 2019, 01:23 PM   #316
chrispy
Muse

Do I take it from his recent comments that he is thinking of giving himself “national emergency” powers to fund his wall?
That is what he said. Nailed down by reporters.
Old 4th January 2019, 01:30 PM   #317
Armitage72
Master Poster

From CNN's Breaking News page, so no link.

Quote:
A reporter just asked President Trump if he has considered using emergency powers to build his wall without Congressional approval and necessary funds.

"Yes, I have. And I can do it if I want," Trump claimed.

The reporter asked if that means he doesn't need Congressional approval to build the wall, then.

"Absolutely," Trump said. "We can call a national emergency. I haven't done it. I may do it. I may do it. We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly. It's another way of doing it."

Asked if that was a threat to Democrats, Trump replied, "I never threaten anybody, but I am allowed to do it -- call a national emergency."
Old 4th January 2019, 01:37 PM   #318
Armitage72
Master Poster

Moved to a different thread.

Last edited by Armitage72; 4th January 2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 4th January 2019, 01:42 PM   #319
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
From CNN's Breaking News page, so no link.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=60164759

Unbelievable.

ETA:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-ocasio-cortez
"Donald Trump seems to confirm ABC News reporting that his administration is considering building a wall without the consent or appropriation of Congress by declaring a national emergency.

“I can do it if I want,” Trump said. “We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly.”

Last edited by portlandatheist; 4th January 2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: ETA
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:00 PM   #320
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

President Donald Trump confirmed that he told congressional leaders he’d keep the government closed for a year or longer.

“I did, absolutely, I said that,” Trump told reporters at the White House on Friday, after he was asked to confirm an account of a meeting by Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lks-to-proceed
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics