ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2019, 03:38 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Shameful college video of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has come to light

Brace yourself before watching:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

No, really, that's gone viral because someone used it to try to humiliate her. It...hasn't worked.
Old 4th January 2019, 03:44 AM   #2
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Lock her up!

(The obsession of the right with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is beyond sick.)
Old 4th January 2019, 03:58 AM   #3
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Someone put it to good use: https://twitter.com/songadaymann/sta...32366846177281
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:39 AM   #4
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Spectacular backfire for the GOP. It only served to make her even more popular, and the neocon numpty who posted it on social media had to close his account.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:48 AM   #5
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/s...03519480233989

Quote:
Some of the dirt the right wing has on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez so far:
- She lived in a house
- She wears clothes
- She attended high school
- She danced with her friends in a video once
Screengrabs embedded in tweet.

https://twitter.com/ahardtospell/sta...05914394193921

Quote:
"YOU PEOPLE HAVE TRUMP DERANGEMENT SYNDROME" yells a man looking through Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's middle school report card for any incriminating information
https://twitter.com/JosephScrimshaw/...12321566789632

Quote:
Anyone who thinks video of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dancing as a teen will derail her political career will be devastated by video of Trump speaking as an adult.
https://twitter.com/tonyposnanski/st...09871250194433

Quote:
BREAKING- Several sources from The Daily Wire found out that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had a Trapper Keeper (with unicorn stickers) AND an electric pencil sharpener in high school proving that she was rich rich.
This is a lot of fun.
Old 4th January 2019, 04:49 AM   #6
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Spectacular backfire for the GOP. It only served to make her even more popular, and the neocon numpty who posted it on social media had to close his account.

I doubt the Republican Party was actually involved. Not even they are so out of touch to believe that the ability to have fun is a character flaw, Are they..?!
Old 4th January 2019, 04:51 AM   #7
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Best Tweet I've seen on the subject.

Quote:
@MattOswaltVA

in an alley on K Street a young Republican hands a briefcase to a shadowy figure. He opens it to find it filled with cash. He hands the Republican a preschool drawing by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez where she drew...outside the lines
The Republican smiles and walks off into the night
ETA: She actually moves pretty well in a "young chick having fun on the dance floor" sort of mode.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 4th January 2019 at 04:54 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:53 AM   #8
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I doubt the Republican Party was actually involved. Not even they are so out of touch to believe that the ability to have fun is a character flaw, Are they..?!
Considering that the vast majority of them have cramped bicep muscles from holding up pictures with one hand... of the First Lady....

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 4th January 2019 at 04:55 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:00 AM   #9
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Come on guys, a young, charismatic left-wing Hispanic woman... we don't need no stinking evidence to know she's evil!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:13 AM   #10
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...edit-backfires
Quote:
“Here is America’s favorite commie know-it-all acting like the clueless nitwit she is,” read the post, with the user, who has since deleted their account, claiming it was a “high school video of ‘Sandy’ Ocasio-Cortez”.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:22 AM   #11
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

That's the article I linked in the OP.
Old 4th January 2019, 05:28 AM   #12
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Yes... a high school video. You know all those high schools that have "University" in their names.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:36 AM   #13
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I did read someone making an interesting point - this is going to become the new normal as new people enter politics. Younger people have grown up in a world of the internet and cheap video cameras and smartphones. It's not at all surprising that there is a YouTube video featuring a 29 year-old.

Expect to see more of this kind of thing in the future.
Old 4th January 2019, 05:37 AM   #14
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Lock her up!

I've got to admit to being a little obsessed with her as well, and I'm not on the right. I suspect our motivations may differ tho.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:51 AM   #15
chrispy
Muse

OMG! Someone dancing in a fun college music-video project!! Oh, the horror!!
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:51 AM   #16
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
That's the article I linked in the OP.
Yeah, I know.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:06 AM   #17
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I did read someone making an interesting point - this is going to become the new normal as new people enter politics. Younger people have grown up in a world of the internet and cheap video cameras and smartphones. It's not at all surprising that there is a YouTube video featuring a 29 year-old.

I think it's great that there is going to be more evidence of members of Congress actually having had pure, harmless fun at some point in their lives and who might even still be young enough to remember it when they take office.

(As opposed to episodes like Dick Cheney shooting an octogenarian in the face and being apologized to by his victim.

Cheney YouTube)

Last edited by quadraginta; 4th January 2019 at 06:13 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:09 AM   #18
Drewbot
Philosopher

She is actually admired by a large group of Trump supporters.

Her charisma is unquestioned, she provides a window into the workings of the government that we don't know about (on either side).

There are Trump voters who would support her, just as there are Obama voters who support Trump.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:11 AM   #19
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

When I first read the headline for this story, I thought for sure some right wing troll dug up a cell phone video of AOC drunkenly dancing at some grimy college house party. You know, the harmless but slightly embarrassing behavior that most people have partaken in their youth. Just when i think I've properly assessed the competence and pettiness of the trollosphere, I am underwhelmed anew.

Dancing in a BU promo video, what a scandal. Next we'll find a video of her helping an old lady cross a busy street. THE HORROR!
Old 4th January 2019, 06:25 AM   #20
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

She cannot possibly be shown to be nice or even human. She must forever be portrayed as an evil Cuban communist good-for-nothing. Otherwise the people will not vote for Trump in 2020 as they are supposed to do.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:26 AM   #21
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Hereís the thing, though: Eventually, AOC will screw up and do something stupid in her personal life. It will come out and it will likely end her career, as it has with countless others.

Meanwhile, Trumpís personal life is a non-stop parade of screw ups and stupidity and it only goes to make him more popular with his base. The same base that is pushing this video as something bad. Even though I understand compartmentalization, their cognitive dissonance makes my brain hurt.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:27 AM   #22
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The fact she has dumb ideas should be the only real objection.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:32 AM   #23
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
It's just GOP politics. They're starting up a smear campaign in the event she eventually runs for President. Sure, it's backfiring *now,* but if she runs in a decade or so people will have mostly forgotten except that there was some kind of old video of her, and they can work that to their advantage.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:36 AM   #24
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

Her charisma is unquestioned, she provides a window into the workings of the government that we don't know about (on either side).

There are Trump voters who would support her, just as there are Obama voters who support Trump.
Yes, over the last year or so I've come to the conclusion that whether or not I agree with her politics (I actually know very little about her position on anything), she's got exactly the kind of personality that the Democratic Party should be looking for as someone to run for President.

Perhaps her in a few decades, but in the mean time, they should be looking more towards someone like her and less towards someone like Hillary Clinton.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:41 AM   #25
3point14
Pi

Perhaps her in a few decades, but in the mean time, they should be looking more towards someone like her and less towards someone like Hillary Clinton.

The same problems would accrue.

The sum total of dirt on Clinton was zero. Her words were misreported and enough of the Republican mud stuck that people believed their smear campaigns.

The same would happen to any other female candidate.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:47 AM   #26
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jesus Goddamn Christ.

One anonymous Twitter user, who's name was literally AnonymousQ1776, is the only person actually quoted in CNN's article as actually having a problem with it.

"Anonymous online people" are not a valid reference point.

Stop gang banging the Outrage Dog Whistle.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 4th January 2019 at 06:53 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:58 AM   #27
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Jesus Goddamn Christ.

One anonymous Twitter user, who's name was literally AnonymousQ1776, is the only person actually quoted in CNN's article as actually having a problem with it.

"Anonymous online people" are not a valid reference point.

Stop gang banging the Outrage Dog Whistle.
Yeah! Because these things never escalate and anonymous online people never impact the real world!

<insert outrage at mocking othersí outrage here>
Old 4th January 2019, 07:00 AM   #28
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Yeah! Because these things never escalate and anonymous online people never impact the real world!
In what sane world does that translate to "Every anonymous online comment is headline news?"
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:01 AM   #29
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

In what sane world does that translate to "Every anonymous online comment is headline news?"
Not every comment, just the influential ones. And this one has certainly been influential already. Note that we are discussing it.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:03 AM   #30
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

I suspect you're correct. There are lots of shallow dimwits who respond to superficiality, never mind substance.

For a Trump voter to support AOC makes no sense. She opposes everything Trump stands for. For an Obama voter to support Trump makes no sense. Trump opposes everything Obama stands for.

We saw this in 2016 when Trump and Bernie both appealed to a certain demographic. A demographic that was moved by an angry white man, diametrically opposing policies be damned.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy her on this video!

Last edited by varwoche; 4th January 2019 at 07:27 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:10 AM   #31
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Considering that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has been openly calling for impeachment of Trump, then one should expect that lot of stupid, idiotic, greedy, lying Republicans to throw as much mud on to her as they possibly could.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:10 AM   #32
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I suspect you're correct. There are lots of shallow dimwits who respond to superficiality, never mind substance.

For a Trump voter to support AOC makes no sense. She opposes everything Trump stands for. For an Obama voter to support Trump makes no sense. Trump opposes everything Obama stands for.

We saw this in 2016 when Trump and Bernie both appealed to a certain demographic. A demographic that was moved by an angry white man, policy specifics be damned.

Has she even seen the breakfast club?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:14 AM   #33
Fizil
Muse

I mean sure in general that is going to be an issue. But I still don't understand how anyone thought this video would be embarrassing. It just blows my mind. I just don't get it, are there large segments of the population that think dancing is some taboo activity? Do we actually live in the world of Footloose? I mean I don't generally dance, but that is because I think I look like an idiot, not out of any moral imperative outside not subjecting others to seeing that.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:19 AM   #34
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

She's wearing a dress, with jeans, in one clip ... that's kind of cool!
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:19 AM   #35
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Not every comment, just the influential ones. And this one has certainly been influential already. Note that we are discussing it.
Oh come on that's Fox News logic. Their entire business strategy has been having their opinions pieces stir up "Noise" and then hiding behind the legitimacy of reporting on the noise that they created.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 4th January 2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:22 AM   #36
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Oh come on that's Fox News logic. Their entire business strategy has been having their opinions pieces stir up "Noise" and then hiding behind the legitimacy of reporting on the noise that that they created.
I think I get what you're saying. We are effectively amplifying the noise when discussing this.

However, we are also discussing an attractive, young Democratic politician in a video that makes her look absolutely adorable. That's a good thing.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:25 AM   #37
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Has she even seen the breakfast club?
I don't have an opinion on that, and even if I did I can't imagine why anyone would care. Please take note, in no way, shape or form am I asking you for a clarification, a rebuttal, further questions about AOC having seen The Breakfast Club, or even a response in any form whatsoever. Quite the opposite.

However I'm always glad to discuss things that are pertinent ... to something.

Last edited by varwoche; 4th January 2019 at 07:29 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:28 AM   #38
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Hereís the thing, though: Eventually, AOC will screw up and do something stupid in her personal life. It will come out and it will likely end her career, as it has with countless others.

Meanwhile, Trumpís personal life is a non-stop parade of screw ups and stupidity and it only goes to make him more popular with his base. The same base that is pushing this video as something bad. Even though I understand compartmentalization, their cognitive dissonance makes my brain hurt.
It's as though they want a weird adaptation of, "For my enemies: The Law. For my friends: Everything."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:31 AM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I think I get what you're saying. We are effectively amplifying the noise when discussing this.
Not even that. There's no noise to amplify. This is one anonymous person online. That's not a fart in the wind. That's not a fart in a Hurricane. That's a bacteria farting in Jupiter's Great Red Spot. (Do Bacteria fart? I bet they do.)

Essentially the story is "One totally anonymous person online said a negative sentence about one elected official." We'd need a dozen 24 hour news channels just for this board if that was the standard, the "Oh the fact that we're talking about it makes it newsworthy" Mobius Strip logic not withstanding.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 4th January 2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:38 AM   #40
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

We saw this in 2016 when Trump and Bernie both appealed to a certain demographic. A demographic that was moved by an angry white man, diametrically opposing policies be damned.

I don't know if you remember this, but there was a time when Obama was strong on border security, and I certainly wasn't going to vote for a kook-job, Romney who could look at you with a straight face and tell me he believed the John Smith Golden Plates story. I am also for a government health care system, and at the time, I was hoping O-Care would work. (Before my deductibles went up over 800%) Why can't an Obama voter vote for Trump?

I would have voted for Bernie if he had won the nomination, along with most of my Union colleagues here in Michigan.

Last edited by Drewbot; 4th January 2019 at 07:44 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics