ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th February 2019, 06:16 PM   #681
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The real reason that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez scares the carp out of the Republicans...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 07:34 PM   #682
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
The real reason that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez scares the carp out of the Republicans...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

And what makes them scared?

If she ever gets the opportunity to put an end to that crap, she will!!
Old 9th February 2019, 07:39 PM   #683
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

In Climate Change's case, cut off its fuel supply.
I was wondering how long it was going to take to get the answer I wanted, and it look a fellow Kiwi to crack it!

Congratulations, you win these virtual Chocolate fish!!

(non-Kiwis might not understand the significance of your prize)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_fish
Old 9th February 2019, 07:42 PM   #684
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Conservative president 50 Years from now:
" Who knew fixing this global warming would be so complicated"

Liberal president 51 years from how:
"We did, but if you had listened to us in the first place, it would have been much, much less complicated"
Old 9th February 2019, 08:27 PM   #685
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
If you're driving and you find the brakes don't work, the suggested course of action is to slow down by changing down through the gears. I suppose the majority of Americans would be unable to do that, though.
Steering onto the road that goes uphill, instead of the one that leads off the cliff probably works in that analogy too.
Unless, of course, we follow The Prestige' prescription, and leave it up to our ingenuity to add wings to the car before we hit the cliff. Might work, necessity is the mother of invention, and going uphill will only slow us down, after all.

Last edited by Distracted1; 9th February 2019 at 08:41 PM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 08:30 PM   #686
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Liberal president 51 years from how:
"We did, but if you had listened to us in the first place, it would have been much, much less complicated"
In case it was not apparent, I was paraphrasing the Trumpsters' remarks regarding healthcare policy in the U.S.

WRT a future administration claiming credit for mitigating the crisis. A gentleman I worked with for several years, who was politically very far Right, believed AGW to be nonsense and once pointed out to me (as an example) that we "never hear anything about that ozone hole anymore"
as evidence that it was a hoax as well.

Claiming credit for averting a disaster that (because it was averted) never happens is a tough sell against a concerted effort to claim that it was never going to be a disaster in the first place. Which is why it is unlikely stronger efforts to mitigate AGW will probably not happen until an undeniable national catastrophe occurs.

Last edited by Distracted1; 9th February 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 08:40 PM   #687
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I AGREE
As she canít become US President (stupid part of the Constitution) I wish she would come to Australia, where we have no such ďnatural bornĒ restrictions. Iíd vote for her without hesistation.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 08:46 PM   #688
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE
Why waste everyone's time answering questions she already has the answers to? She has very little respect for the time of these witnesses. Does she have so little respect for the office she would rather grandstand?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:14 PM   #689
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Why waste everyone's time answering questions she already has the answers to? She has very little respect for the time of these witnesses. Does she have so little respect for the office she would rather grandstand?
First rule of being a lawyer, never ask a question you don't know the answer to.

But to answer your question more fully, it was to get the questions and answer on the public record. This is exactly what politicians should do, for the same reason as lawyers need to. Once it's on the public record you can refer to it, and use it to make cases and show as evidence for your stances at a later date.

Quite frankly your statement that it was a waste of time because she knew the answers shows your utter ignorance in these matters.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:19 PM   #690
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As she canít become US President (stupid part of the Constitution) I wish she would come to Australia, where we have no such ďnatural bornĒ restrictions. Iíd vote for her without hesistation.
Other than her age, what is the issue? And to be honest 6+ years in congress would be good for her resume to stand for President.

Old 9th February 2019, 09:25 PM   #691
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

She is a natural born American. She will able to become president when she is 35.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:35 PM   #692
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
She is a natural born American. She will able to become president when she is 35.
I think he was meaning because she can't run in 2020 due to her age, and that her being born in the US wasn't a problem in Australia. Though I would point out that this isn't quite true, as Australian Representatives must be Australian Citizen's only (remember the whole Deputy PM being a dual Aust/NZ citizen issue?) So that is an issue.

Old 9th February 2019, 09:36 PM   #693
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

And we will all be Fascist Transgender Islamomarxists when she does.

The future is looking bright.
Old 9th February 2019, 09:36 PM   #694
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yeah, I knew this. I worded my post incorrectly. 35 is not so bad I suppose. Iíd still like her to move over here.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 10:02 PM   #695
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Yeah, I knew this. I worded my post incorrectly. 35 is not so bad I suppose. Iíd still like her to move over here.
Sorry I misunderstood you if that is the case. But the Republican lie machine in the USA is likely to say things exactly like you just said to cast doubt on her citizenship.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 06:18 AM   #696
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

First rule of being a lawyer, never ask a question you don't know the answer to.

But to answer your question more fully, it was to get the questions and answer on the public record. This is exactly what politicians should do, for the same reason as lawyers need to. Once it's on the public record you can refer to it, and use it to make cases and show as evidence for your stances at a later date.

Quite frankly your statement that it was a waste of time because she knew the answers shows your utter ignorance in these matters.
We knew the answers to it because these issues are documented. She is not a lawyer. It being in the "public record" does not alter reality or make it more accurate.

ETA: also,if it is a matter of documenting the answers, there is no reason to ask questions like a dumb 8 year old.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 10th February 2019 at 06:26 AM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 10:46 AM   #697
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Here's Fox News exposing her political platform for all the terrible things it contains:

The monster!
Old 10th February 2019, 11:11 AM   #698
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Here's Fox News exposing her political platform for all the terrible things it contains:

https://i.imgur.com/uzicOfP.jpg

The monster!
Right column - second line
That's horrible. She actually wants politicians to be honest and transparent about where they get their money from.
Old 10th February 2019, 11:20 AM   #699
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

When Jacobin magazine tweeted that image, they said "Comrade @SeanHannity brings our message to the masses!"

lol
Old 10th February 2019, 12:04 PM   #700
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
When Jacobin magazine tweeted that image, they said "Comrade @SeanHannity brings our message to the masses!"

lol
Old 10th February 2019, 12:17 PM   #701
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think she has a lot to learn about government. And she is getting a little too far over her skis, she seems to understand very well how to communicate to the public using social media. Whereas most of Congress and other politicians are clueless. Give her an A for political messaging. The Republicans are only elevating her profile by the way they are attacking her. She doesn't waste a moment in hitting back.
Old 10th February 2019, 12:20 PM   #702
Hans
Philosopher

https://i.imgur.com/uzicOfP.jpg

The monster!
Damn she is dangerous - I agree with 12 out of 14 of those points but have to say that several I agree with might not be financially/technically possible like the Federal Job Guarantee.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 12:26 PM   #703
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Here's the thing about AOC: she's actually everything Republican voters said they wanted when holding their noses for Trump. She's a non-politician outsider who's not afraid to tell it like it is and represents what people want. Only now its a bad thing because... stuff.

Its almost like those reasons were vacuous rationalizations to allow people to ignore the platform and scandals and vote for the R.
Old 10th February 2019, 12:30 PM   #704
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Damn she is dangerous - I agree with 12 out of 14 of those points but have to say that several I agree with might not be financially/technically possible like the Federal Job Guarantee.
I only disagree or am unsure with 1.5 of them. I don't know that ICE needs to be abolished, but I wouldn't mind some solid reform on them.

A federal jobs guarantee? What's that about?
Old 10th February 2019, 12:52 PM   #705
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I only disagree or am unsure with 1.5 of them. I don't know that ICE needs to be abolished, but I wouldn't mind some solid reform on them.

F.D.R. style job corps maybe? Lots of people pretending to be machines.
Old 10th February 2019, 12:58 PM   #706
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Yeah, it's pretty close to a point that is borrowed from the original New Deal.

BTW people seems to be reacting as if this is a bill meant to be acted upon directly. It's not. It's a non-binding resolution meant to express a sentiment and a direction. Nothing final here as far as I know.

Old 10th February 2019, 01:16 PM   #707
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Yeah, it's pretty close to a point that is borrowed from the original New Deal.
Okay, well. If that's what that truly is, I'm not opposed to it, per se, but I don't see the necessity of it. Maybe I just need to look into it more.
Old 10th February 2019, 02:35 PM   #708
mgidm86
Philosopher

Take her, please!
Old 10th February 2019, 02:43 PM   #709
Minoosh
Philosopher

As she can’t become US President (stupid part of the Constitution) I wish she would come to Australia, where we have no such “natural born” restrictions. I’d vote for her without hesistation.
She was born in NYC ...

ETA: By the time she's 35 she may be more of a realist and ready for a larger stage.

Last edited by Minoosh; 10th February 2019 at 02:44 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 09:09 PM   #710
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, well. If that's what that truly is, I'm not opposed to it, per se, but I don't see the necessity of it. Maybe I just need to look into it more.
This is a very good start on understanding it:

http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/pn_18_2.pdf

Quote:
Even after the sustained pace of job creation of the past month,
we estimate that approximately 4.5 million people who are
currently counted among those out of the labor force would be
ready and willing to work in such a program. If we add those
who are still counted as unemployed (almost 6.7 million) and
those who are involuntarily underemployed (working fewer
hours than desired—about 4.5 million), we find that there
are approximately 15 million potential workers who would be
likely to join the program. This would reverse the troubling
labor force trends of the past two decades.
Quote:
In 2016, nearly 7.5 million people in families with a
full-time worker lived in poverty. We find that with one fulltime worker per family in the program, 9.5 million children
would be lifted out of poverty. The average income gap of the 8
million families living in poverty in 2016 was $10,505—which
is less than what a half-time job in the PSE would pay
Quote:
In this policy note, we have sketched the design for such
a program. We prefer a universal program that takes workers “as they are” and “where they are.” It is decentralized to
ensure that it serves workers as well as the communities in
which they live. The program pays $15 per hour plus benefits,
establishing a nationwide effective minimum compensation
level. It does not compete with private employers, beyond setting minimum labor standards. Employment in the program
moves countercyclically, against business cycle swings, helping
to stabilize consumption, output, income, and employment.

In cyclical upswings, private employers recruit workers out
of the program; in downturns, the program absorbs workers
shed by private employers.
Also:
https://www.cbpp.org/research/full-e...ull-employment

Quote:
Today, economists and policymakers, including the governors of the Federal Reserve System, tend to associate “full employment” with a four-to-six percent unemployment rate, using the standard measure of unemployment.[4] This measure of unemployment counts workers who do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the previous four weeks, and are currently available for work; it does not count the millions who have stopped actively seeking employment, or those inadequately employed in temporary, seasonal, or other precarious employment situations. The four-to-six percent unemployment rate referred to above is based on a conception defined by economists as the non-accelerating inflation rate of unemployment (NAIRU). It is noteworthy that this “target” has changed throughout time. Moreover, an economy with these unemployment rates needlessly condemns millions of U.S. workers to unemployment and underemployment, often resulting in severe economic hardship for those left behind by decisionmakers’ policy choices.
Quote:
Macroeconomic stabilization. The job guarantee would function as a robust automatic stabilizer in the economy, maintaining levels of employment during economic downturns through direct hiring, and freely allowing workers to flow from the jobs program to the private sector during economic boom times. While workers may see some decrease in their purchasing power during an economic contraction, the job guarantee will automatically expand as demand for employment in the private sector contracts, providing a buffer to incomes and guarding against major pitfalls in effective demand.

The provision of socially useful goods and services. During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) were public employment programs designed to put Americans back to work. The programs were implemented near the height of the Great Depression, when the national unemployment rate reached 25 percent. These programs, implemented under the Roosevelt administration, provided goods and services that benefited all Americans by facilitating the logistics and technological expansion of our public infrastructure, including 650,000 miles of new or improved roads; 39,000 schools built, improved, or repaired; 4,000 new or improved utility plants; and 225,000 concerts performed. Under a job guarantee, even those who do not receive employment via the NIEC will likely benefit through the increased provision of public goods and socially desirable goods and services. Furthermore, the provision of productive goods and services will dampen inflationary concerns.

Last edited by kellyb; 10th February 2019 at 09:17 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:52 AM   #711
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Take her, please!
What, exactly, is your problem with her policies?
Old 11th February 2019, 04:53 AM   #712
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Thanks. Iíll try to dig in sometime.
Old 11th February 2019, 05:30 AM   #713
Belz...
Fiend God

Come on. You are better than this. Decent evidence please.
Zig's right (ugh. I need to take a bath, now.) Nuclear remains the safest method of energy generation.

Quote:
Solar is the future.
Is night going to disappear in the future? Clouds? You can't assume that batteries can supply hundreds of millions of people with electricity for a couple of days, and no one wants to lower their quality of life. Solar's fine, but not on its own. You're still going to need some sort of bedrock power plant that doesn't turn off because the sun is on the other side of the planet or because it's too windy or not enough.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:32 AM   #714
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It's plausible. Roofing is a relatively high-risk profession.

It misses several other considerations, especially for new builds
I think you didn't respond to the right post, there.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This analogy just keeps getting worse.
When I read smartcooky's post I thought of you.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:36 AM   #715
Belz...
Fiend God

I think the answer will be something along the lines of "SHE'S INSANE!!!"

Old 11th February 2019, 08:19 AM   #716
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Is night going to disappear in the future? Clouds? You can't assume that batteries can supply hundreds of millions of people with electricity for a couple of days, and no one wants to lower their quality of life. Solar's fine, but not on its own. You're still going to need some sort of bedrock power plant that doesn't turn off because the sun is on the other side of the planet or because it's too windy or not enough.
Not to mention various power-dense industrial needs, like smelting as a prime example. Solar just doesn't provide the power density required.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:59 PM   #717
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think the answer will be something along the lines of "SHE'S INSANE!!!"
Close. It will be "She's insane!!!, but Trump isn't!!!"
Old 12th February 2019, 07:01 PM   #718
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I love that they keep trying to make reality conform to their message that she is "dumb" even though everything she says and does clearly exposes her as the opposite.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 09:00 PM   #719
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

He will say "bat-crap crazy" or something of that nature but, of course, he will just be mindlessly parroting the right's bilious narrative.

This is usual fare for those who sit in the corner and snipe at stuff they don't understand, and to which they are incapable of making a meaningful contribution
Old 12th February 2019, 09:23 PM   #720
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I love that they keep trying to make reality conform to their message that she is "dumb" even though everything she says and does clearly exposes her as the opposite.
Tell us more about her plan to replace air travel with high speed rail by 2030, nationwide.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics