ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:00 PM   #201
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What are the next-to-last Republican and the fourth on the second line of Dems supposed to represent?
I guess the penultimate Republican is Dan Crenshaw

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ublicans-photo

No idea about the other
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 12:04 PM   #202
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Returning briefly to the thread title: don't clickbait, yo. I had the lights dimmed in preparation.
Sorry, I'm British. We don't need a "/s" tag to tell when someone's being sarcastic.

Old 5th January 2019, 12:04 PM   #203
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The realization that the Senate hasn't been 100% male since 1978?
Fair point. The pic was more recent but it would certainly not have been 100%. 'Inexplicably Pale' would be more accurate
Old 5th January 2019, 12:05 PM   #204
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
And right on cue, conservative media alleges a conspiracy:

Did Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s People Post The Video Of Her Dancing?

Soooooo predictable!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 12:13 PM   #205
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

She misunderstood a report and tweeted something stupid? Maybe she's preparing for for a future presidential run.
But she will only be successful if she double-downs rather than corrects herself. She must exaggerate her claim even more, then tweet that it was the fault of the evil fake news organizations and that she never said it, but then twist around again and tweet that what she claimed was correct and that all true Americans know that and secretly support her.

She ha a lot to learn...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 12:56 PM   #206
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Does anybody have any sources where AOC opponents actually say that the video itself reflects badly on her?... not just general slapfight reactions to AOC supporters claiming that the right did so, but the actual original comments from the right that the left was supposedly reacting to?

I know that whoever dug it up (from wherever it's been hidden all this time) and posted it soon deleted the account. That's 1.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 01:44 PM   #207
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Does anybody have any sources where AOC opponents actually say that the video itself reflects badly on her?... not just general slapfight reactions to AOC supporters claiming that the right did so, but the actual original comments from the right that the left was supposedly reacting to?

I know that whoever dug it up (from wherever it's been hidden all this time) and posted it soon deleted the account. That's 1.
I'm sure there are more, if you include the entire Internet. But I don't think it's anything near the conservative freak-out it is being billed as.

AOC's twitter response: "I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous. Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too!"

(Take note Giordano: Is this not an example of "generating in the populace a subjective "feeling," a subconscious impression about the person. By no means does this require actual verified facts: it only needs innuendo, completely made-up lies from social media and "satire" sites, pre-existing racial or religious, prejudice, urban legends, etc."? Like anyone, anywhere, is offended by that particular video because they think women dancing are scandalous.)
Old 5th January 2019, 01:45 PM   #208
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

AnonymousQ's original tweet.

Quote:
Here is America’s favorite commie know-it-all acting like the clueless nitwit she is...
...High School video of “Sandy” Ocasio-Cortezpic.twitter.com/s723Vga9zF
And remember despite being a utter conspiracy theorist, they are popular amongst a section of Trump supporters

ETA:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...edit-backfires

Quote:
Fox News also attacked her for claiming she wouldn’t be able to afford an apartment in Washington DC until her congressional salary started, saying Ocasio-Cortez was stretching the truth about how poor she was when she had $15,000 (£12,000) in savings. Her communications director later confirmed that Ocasio-Cortez, a former Bernie Sanders staffer who earned about $27,000 in 2017, had less than $7,000 in savings.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 5th January 2019 at 01:48 PM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:15 PM   #209
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It was just a few years ago that I saw a group photo of the 100 member Senate, and it was 100% white men. That was a stunning realization.
I don't think so. Susan Collins has been in the Senate since 1997.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:28 PM   #210
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Following up on my request that you post the specific things she said that got your undies bunched...

It's incredibly nervy for you to use the language you used to run her down, fail to cite what she said that got your undies bunched, and then you ask for evidence? Highly unimpressive.
There are too many specific things, so much of what she says is either crazy or nonsensical. Well maybe not everything, but here are a few...

This doesn't even make sense:
Quote:
Healthcare as a human right, it means that every child, no matter where you are born, should have access to a college or trade-school education if they so choose it, and I think no person should be homeless if we can have public structures and public policy to allow for people to have homes and food and lead a dignified life in the United States.
Policy: She wants the country to be 100% green energy by 2030. No fossil fuels.

Quote:
"Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family."
???

Quote:
“ICE is the only criminal investigative agency, the only enforcement agency in the United States, that has a bed quota. So ICE is required to fill 34,000 beds with detainees every single night and that number has only been increasing since 2009.”
Wrong. 34,000 beds must be provided, that is all.

Policy: abolish ICE. And no, ICE does not operate under Homeland Security, but easy mistake to make.

Really dude, I could break this forum with her stupid quotes and policy ideas.

Sorry for not providing quotes before but I think it's pointless here at this forum. I didn't try very hard with the ones above but again, after 15 years or more at this forum, I'm over it I guess.

Now your turn - show me the genius that is Ocasio-Cortez. What great policies is she working on? 70% tax on the rich? What has she got going for her?
Old 5th January 2019, 02:35 PM   #211
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Could you source your quotes?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:40 PM   #212
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't think so. Susan Collins has been in the Senate since 1997.
Already conceded to theprestige. I was thinking more about the dearth of melanin than about the mathematical truth
Old 5th January 2019, 02:43 PM   #213
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Now your turn - show me the genius that is Ocasio-Cortez. What great policies is she working on? 70% tax on the rich? What has she got going for her?
Ocasio-Cortez supports transitioning to a single-payer healthcare system.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:45 PM   #214
crescent
Master Poster

Unemployment is low. Under-employment is high - people work but don't make enough to live on. Workforce participation has dropped as well, artificially dropping the unemployment rate, which only includes people who are still participating in the workforce.

70% marginal tax rate is still quite a bit lower than is was under the Eisenhower administration. Marginal is the key - not all income would be taxed that way, even for the super rich.

She supports free college tuition, which is currently the norm in Germany, where it works and is very popular. Not crazy at all.

Last edited by crescent; 5th January 2019 at 03:03 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:48 PM   #215
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
And right on cue, conservative media alleges a conspiracy:

Did Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s People Post The Video Of Her Dancing?
Ah, right. So a Twitter account opened in January of 2018, well before AOC even won the primary, and using the crazed right-wing QAnon as a namesake, and the standard issue Guy Fawkes mask as an avatar was owned and operated by AOC's people.

Sure.

Let's also note that the video was re-edited by this (now defunct) clown: in place of the happy, upbeat music a sultry beat was placed over it to make the dance seem more sinister or awkward.

Conservatives need to face facts: Some of them thought they had found their new Dukakis in the tank. Instead, they got an inverse Streisand Effect blowing up in their face.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:56 PM   #216
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I'm sure there are more, if you include the entire Internet. But I don't think it's anything near the conservative freak-out it is being billed as.

AOC's twitter response: "I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous. Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too!"

(Take note Giordano: Is this not an example of "generating in the populace a subjective "feeling," a subconscious impression about the person. By no means does this require actual verified facts: it only needs innuendo, completely made-up lies from social media and "satire" sites, pre-existing racial or religious, prejudice, urban legends, etc."? Like anyone, anywhere, is offended by that particular video because they think women dancing are scandalous.)
Hey- thanks for asking!

Indeed I do strongly suspect that it was propagated in large part by individuals and groups seeking to ultimately undermine her dignity, seriousness, and gravitas in the public's eye. I think that the idea was to use the video to help generate a vague impression of AOC being frivolous, not scandalous. Of course it wouldn't work alone. That was not the expectation. But to just keep at it, releasing small talking point after talking point, float one social media distortion or outright lie after another, talk about her clothing, her shoes, until many in the public being to subconsciously associate AOC with "frivolous" without every asking themselves where that idea came from and just how true it might be. Do the same for "stupid," "radical" etc. until people develop a visceral opposition to her that has nothing to do with her, her policies, or the facts.

The power of this approach is well understood in advertising and used in many current commercials. They do not seek to directly sell you a car model based on its specifications; instead they seek to have you associate a car model in your head with vaguely formed thoughts of swift drives along dark blue beaches at dusk, with attractive people of the opposite sex sitting next to you in the passenger seat. It is all about implanting feelings to manipulate the "consumer's" decisions in the absence of conscious logic. Sell a car or smear an opponent: the method is much the same. Except with politics the process is more often a quiet but constant and longterm drumbeat rather than an overt, time-limited TV advertising campaign.

Turns out the dancing video backfired because it was released by amateurs. The better Republican strategists would have realized that in advance and never would have used it.

Last edited by Giordano; 5th January 2019 at 03:00 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 03:00 PM   #217
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

There are too many specific things, so much of what she says is either crazy or nonsensical. Well maybe not everything, but here are a few...

Its poorly worded, and perhaps brought from soundbite limitations or somesuch. But I get the idea: Universal Health Care, Free college tuition, and efforts to reduce homelessness. You may not like these ideas but that does not make them crazy.

Quote:
OH NOES!

Quote:
???
Again, poorly worded, but low unemployment figures do not account for people having to work on two or more jobs to make ends meet.

Quote:

Policy: abolish ICE. And no, ICE does not operate under Homeland Security, but easy mistake to make.
ICE is a target because its been taking some very questionable actions. Can't really call that crazy, no matter what the bed count.

Quote:
Honestly, I doubt it. Given that Trump pumps out 15 lies a day she's got a long way to go. But rightwingers will jump on any error and sink their teeth into it for years: They still pull out that time Obama said there were 57 states.

Quote:
Sorry for not providing quotes before but I think it's pointless here at this forum. I didn't try very hard with the ones above but again, after 15 years or more at this forum, I'm over it I guess.
You are basically excusing your laziness over your hatred of her.

Quote:
She has a wikipedia page, her policies are definitely Progressive but nothing beyond the fringe.

Meanwhile, how many Conservatives have suggested raising the Social Security age or cutting Medicare benefits? Yet not a single conservative here bats an eyelash.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 03:33 PM   #218
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I would encourage you to go over to the Qanon conspiracies thread and click on some of the YT links provided by our resident Qanon supporter. That will put you in the loop, so to speak. From there you'll get a nice suggested videos for you feed which should include some choice AOC material that goes back to summer 2018, at least.

And what am I. Chopped liver?

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Dude, you don't remember Gulag Barbie?

Quote:
Dems are finding the stupidest people in the country and pushing them out front. Don't be surprised if this doesn't turn out well. One of these days Gulag Barbie may have to debate someone with a calculator.
It IS a little obsessive. She also shows up from time to time in the random musings of Qanon.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=147

You don't think BB made up Barbie Gulag all by himself do you?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:19 PM   #219
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
70% marginal tax rate is still quite a bit lower than is was under the Eisenhower administration. Marginal is the key - not all income would be taxed that way, even for the super rich.
It worth noting that only 16,087 out of 150,272,157 households in America reported having income that exceeded $10 million. This is pearl clutching over the income of the 0.01%.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:12 PM   #220
crescent
Master Poster

The idea that she is crazy or insane seems to be almost a meme from the right:

The Economics of Soaking the Rich

Quote:
What does Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez know about tax policy? A lot.

The right’s denunciation of AOC’s “insane” policy ideas serves as a very good reminder of who is actually insane.

The controversy of the moment involves AOC’s advocacy of a tax rate of 70-80 percent on very high incomes, which is obviously crazy, right? I mean, who thinks that makes sense? Only ignorant people like … um, Peter Diamond, Nobel laureate in economics and arguably the world’s leading expert on public finance (although Republicans blocked him from an appointment to the Federal Reserve Board with claims that he was unqualified. Really.) And it’s a policy nobody has every implemented, aside from … the United States, for 35 years after World War II — including the most successful period of economic growth in our history.

To be more specific, Diamond, in work with Emmanuel Saez — one of our leading experts on inequality — estimated the optimal top tax rate to be 73 percent.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:30 PM   #221
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
A 70% top rate of tax.

You can read about it here:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...tez-70-percent

Aren't the years with the super-high top tax rates the very same era that conservatives look back to with such uncritical nostalgia and want to recreate?
Old 5th January 2019, 06:34 PM   #222
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Aren't the years with the super-high top tax rates the very same era that conservatives look back to with such uncritical nostalgia and want to recreate?
Well, don't be so sure. See, it's really hard to pin down exactly when that time where America was "great" that they want to get back to. Because, if you actually do that, it's too easy to find holes to show how it wasn't quite as great as it is made out to be....

Actually, the only thing you can really say the conservatives "want to go back to" is the time before there was a black president. Past that, it's wide open...
Old 5th January 2019, 06:41 PM   #223
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

No I'm not taking a turn, thank you for offering. Just because I challenged your claims doesn't mean I take the opposite view.

I can definitely see why a right-leaning voter would oppose her. I can even see why a pragmatist such as me would prefer she have a lower profile. I can even acknowledge she has said goofy things.

I'm not remotely close, however, to seeing a vote for AOC as "beyond sick". I most certainly would have voted for her over the GOP opposition. That's because I support single payer. And I view global warming as a dire threat.

The things she says that are pie-in-the-sky impress me as no more out of touch than advocating for trickle down economics. Nothing she says is anywhere near as whacked out as the crazy **** that Dear Leader spouts, but that's a low bar indeed.
Old 5th January 2019, 06:50 PM   #224
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

???

Republicans shouldn't have a problem abolishing immigration agencies. They abolished the INS
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 07:48 PM   #225
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It was also pretty easy to find loopholes back then, so maybe that's why. Also, corporations actually paid significant taxes back then.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 08:11 PM   #226
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I hope you also liked the Snopes link someone else posted upthread, which did indeed have an utterly stupid (and pretty incoherent) quote - it's just that the Washington Free Beacon had attributed a Trump quote to her.

It's also telling that the right are attributing fairly apolitical Trump quotes to people they wish to attack as evidence of stupidity.
Oh wow, it just does not get any better than this.
Old 5th January 2019, 08:25 PM   #227
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The realization that the Senate hasn't been 100% male since 1978?
In fact, other than six years (one Senate term) in the 70s, the Senate hasn't been all-male since '48. Margaret Chase Smith held down the fort for four terms. But Thermal said 100, so it would've had to have been in the 70s that "not so long ago" picture came from.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 09:55 PM   #228
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Love her or hate her, AOC is now a media star
Which is why she must be destroyed.
Old 5th January 2019, 10:03 PM   #229
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

(((media star)))
Old 6th January 2019, 04:28 AM   #230
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Looking at this from the UK, I find myself remembering the teenage photos and footage that has come out of our current ruling party over the years. Rees-Mog writing to the Financial Times at age nine, a teenage William Hague addressing the Tory Party Conference, Cameron and Johnson all dressed up for an evening's debauchery and sneering at 'poor' people with the Bullingdon Club.

AOC's vudeo seems refreshingly normal and, well healthy, by comparison. Footage of any of our politicians acting like normal.human beings would be quite reassuring right now (running through wheatfields doesn't really cut it).

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 05:40 AM   #231
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Just think, if he'd been born a decade or two later, there'd be actual footage of David Cameron ******* a pig head.
Old 6th January 2019, 09:17 AM   #232
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Wasn't that the plot of a Black Mirror episode?
Old 6th January 2019, 09:44 AM   #233
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Wasn't that the plot of a Black Mirror episode?
No, that was a live pig. But, yes, when the story about David Cameron came to light, Charlie Brooker did comment: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...harlie-brooker

Quote:
“The first question people were asking me was, Did I know anything about it? And the answer is no, absolutely not. I probably wouldn’t have bothered writing an episode of a fictional comedy-drama if I’d known. I’d have been running around screaming it into traffic. It’s a complete coincidence, albeit a quite bizarre one.”

[...]

“I did genuinely for a moment wonder if reality was a simulation, whether it exists only to trick me. Which isn’t meant to sound narcissistic,” he says. “It’s just a bit of a worry.”
Old 6th January 2019, 09:45 AM   #234
dann
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 10:19 AM   #235
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
No, that was a live pig. But, yes, when the story about David Cameron came to light, Charlie Brooker did comment: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...harlie-brooker
It's not his first incident of prescience either, many years ago in one of his early newspaper columns he said that in the future sporting events would be held to the atonal blaring of trumpets...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvu...FIFA_World_Cup

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 11:12 AM   #236
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

???

At what point did you become a serious-minded policy wonk after voting for a guy who made the following ridiculous campaign promises?
Quote:
I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall.
Quote:
Together we’re going to deliver real change that once again puts Americans first. That begins with immediately repealing and replacing the disaster known as Obamacare … You’re going to have such great health care, at a tiny fraction of the cost—and it’s going to be so easy.
Quote:
If I win I may never see my property -- I may never see these places again. But because I'm going to be working for you, I'm not going to have time to go golfing, believe me. Believe me. Believe me, folks.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 11:28 AM   #237
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

In normal times, it would be diversionary to insert Trump into threads that don't involve Trump. These aren't normal times. We have a POTUS who is unmistakably whacked out, who on a daily basis spouts some of the craziest BS that's ever been spouted...
Originally Posted by Trump
The reason Russia was in Afghanistan was because terrorists were going into Russia. They were right to be there.
... and who holds far, far more sway over the country/planet than some lowly congressional rep. In this context, it's hard to take certain criticism seriously. I realize that's unfair and I'll try harder, although I don't anticipate succeeding.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:04 PM   #238
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
No I'm not taking a turn, thank you for offering. Just because I challenged your claims doesn't mean I take the opposite view.

I can definitely see why a right-leaning voter would oppose her. I can even see why a pragmatist such as me would prefer she have a lower profile. I can even acknowledge she has said goofy things.

I'm not remotely close, however, to seeing a vote for AOC as "beyond sick". I most certainly would have voted for her over the GOP opposition. That's because I support single payer. And I view global warming as a dire threat.

The things she says that are pie-in-the-sky impress me as no more out of touch than advocating for trickle down economics. Nothing she says is anywhere near as whacked out as the crazy **** that Dear Leader spouts, but that's a low bar indeed.
I think a lot of Trumps really crazy crap came after the election. Hard to remember. She was a loon right out of the gate.

Have you seen the New Green Deal and how she plans to pay for it? Totally out of touch. How many trillions upon trillions would this plan cost? This is beyond pie-in-the-sky, it's fantasy, but this is what she is actually proposing. It would destroy the economy.

It does make me sick because she is so radical that it concerns me that she actually won. "Not a GOP" isn't a good enough reason to vote for her. I would have voted Dem 2 years ago if they'd ran anyone other than Hillary. OC won the primary, that's the problem, although that election was a little screwy as I recall.

Anyways, I answered your questions, though I don't really think the examples I gave before were the best out there.

Now I'd like to know from someone who supports her (if not you) what they see in her, policy-wise I mean. I don't think most of her supporters really care. She won because she says cool stuff and hates Trump.

Does anyone here actually support her?

She appeals to voters on an emotional level. Hate Trump, stick it to the man, I'm young they're dumb, never mind that my ideas are so radical as to be laughable. She represents an idea, that's about it.

And free stuff. Lots and lots of free stuff.

Trump winning the election was less of a shock to me than Ocasio-Cortez winning.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:14 PM   #239
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I think a lot of Trumps really crazy crap came after the election. Hard to remember. She was a loon right out of the gate.

Have you seen the New Green Deal and how she plans to pay for it? Totally out of touch. How many trillions upon trillions would this plan cost? This is beyond pie-in-the-sky, it's fantasy, but this is what she is actually proposing. It would destroy the economy.

It does make me sick because she is so radical that it concerns me that she actually won. "Not a GOP" isn't a good enough reason to vote for her. I would have voted Dem 2 years ago if they'd ran anyone other than Hillary. OC won the primary, that's the problem, although that election was a little screwy as I recall.

Anyways, I answered your questions, though I don't really think the examples I gave before were the best out there.

Now I'd like to know from someone who supports her (if not you) what they see in her, policy-wise I mean. I don't think most of her supporters really care. She won because she says cool stuff and hates Trump.

She appeals to voters on an emotional level. Hate Trump, stick it to the man, I'm young they're dumb, never mind that my ideas are so radical as to be laughable. She represents an idea, that's about it.

Trump winning the election was less of a shock to me than Ocasio-Cortez winning.
The economy would probably be fine.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 01:37 PM   #240
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

I do.

Her goals are laudable and even if they fall short of 100% achievable a step in their direction is a net positive for this country (and the world in the case of the environmental stuff).
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics