IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #481
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Ditto here on The Silmarillion. It's like a history textbook for a place you don't care about.

Revisiting Stephen King, I have to admit that many of his books I loved as a teenager aren't as exciting or sophisticated when I reread them as an adult. And I thought he sold out far too casually to the screen adaptation.

(Full disclosure, though: I'm in one of those adaptations. In the old TV miniseries version of The Stand -- not the new one that just released -- you can see me as one of the corpses they clean out of the church. King was on set then and complimented me and the others as the best corpses he'd ever seen. )
Yup, when I was a teenager, I was a *very* fast reader. LOTR was just about bearable at a skim reading speed - ignoring anything in italics as being mindnumbing mediocre poetry (regardless of the technical arguments about it, the subject matter wasn't engaging because nobody believed it at any level)

The Silmarilion was still about as exciting as reading the begats in the Old Testament
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #482
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

I must have missed this thread 10 years ago, so I decided to read the whole thing. My choice, which has been discussed in another thread, is Stars and Stripes Forever, by Harry Harrison.

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Worst I've ever read is unquestionably Harry Harrison's Stars and Stripes Forever. I love AH, the American Civil War, and Great Britain, so a book where Britain gets involved in the ACW seemed like a natural, especially because I'd read and enjoyed several of the Stainless Steel Rat books when I was in high school and college. What an incredible disappointment. It was so bad that I didn't even read the other two books in the trilogy. The book contains several ridiculous plot twists, such as the North's and South's miraculously working out their differences, including slavery, in order to face the common British enemy (the British rape and pillage Galveston, Texas, mistaking it for a Union fort, thus leading to Britain's being at war with both sides). Also, the characterization and dialogue often don't ring true. From what I've read the other two books aren't any better.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #483
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
I must have missed this thread 10 years ago, so I decided to read the whole thing. My choice, which has been discussed in another thread, is Stars and Stripes Forever, by Harry Harrison.

That sounds about as bad as Harry Turtledove. Who seems to have ideological issues, that Harry Harrison didn't usually.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts