IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Biden administration , Biden controversies , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Closed Thread
Old 7th May 2021, 08:35 PM   #3561
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What I'd really like to see is a major revision of how we do reappointment. In 1929, Republicans passed the Reapportionment Act of 1929. It capped the number of Representatives at 435. This created a system that heavily benefits rural voters. It is kind of an echo of the Great Compromise. It needs to be changed to be more equitable.
I've tried to reason this out in my head but can't come to this conclusion. What is the logic?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2021, 09:37 PM   #3562
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I've tried to reason this out in my head but can't come to this conclusion. What is the logic?
Here, let me give you a concrete example. The most populous State in the country is California California has 39,510,000 citizens. It has a total of 53 Congressional districts. Wyoming is the least populous state with a hair under 579,000 citizens. It has one Congressional district.

Go back and read the Constitution. There never was a cap and representation was supposed to grow with the population. In fact, under the rules of the Constitution there would be thousands of Congressional districts not just 435. Population was supposed to be represented.

To get back to a fairer system I propose that we eliminate the cap and make each district equal the population size of the least populous state. That would mean 579,000 citizens in Wyoming would have the same representation as 579,000 citizens in California. As it stands today 579,000 citizens in Wyoming equals 745,471 citizens in California. California should have 68 districts. This not only makes a difference in Congress, it impacts the Electoral College.

It's worse than that as that 579,000 citizens of Wyoming get two Senators. The Dems can't do anything about the Senators since that is in the Constitution but an act of Congress can change the way districting works.

Last edited by acbytesla; 7th May 2021 at 09:39 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2021, 09:43 PM   #3563
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I understand, but I don't buy it. Manchin just has to sell, sell, sell. Sell the facts.

You could eliminate all of the regulations. You could treat the great state of West Virginia like a toilet. Poison all the rivers and lakes. You could eliminate every workers safety regulation. It would all be irrelevant. Energy created by coal will not ever again be cost competitive with solar energy and natural gas.

It isn't the Democrats or libruls that is killing coal, it is the market.
The problem here is that you base your opinions on reality. Conservatives do no such thing.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2021, 11:16 PM   #3564
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

My position is not based on either land mass or population; rather, it seems to be the most feasible, and thus likely, to actually come to pass. Just create another district in Maryland that is now DC and you're done. All other solutions are far more fraught and thus more likely to fail thus getting nothing done.
That doesn't seem like the best solution to me.

This whole thing comes down to the GOP not wanting 2 more Democratic Senators. But the fact of the matter is, country wide Democrats are getting minority representation when they are in fact the majority.

So the GOP is going to fight DC statehood tooth and nail. Well tough ****. The Democrats need to step up to the plate and get it done, hopefully before 2022. But I think if the Democrats can get their campaign **** together they will increase their numbers in both houses in 2022. The public supports what they are doing. The fear mongering isn't hitting home with the majority.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th May 2021, 03:58 AM   #3565
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Fox outraged that Biden didn't mention God in his National Day of Prayer 'proclamation.'

Plus Obama only made 1 or 2 references.

Trump however made 11 references last year and 7 the year before, he's a 'true' believer and christian.
Biden is anti god and not fit to be president.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th May 2021, 04:12 AM   #3566
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Democrats need to step up to the plate and get it done, hopefully before 2022. But I think if the Democrats can get their campaign **** together they will increase their numbers in both houses in 2022. The public supports what they are doing. The fear mongering isn't hitting home with the majority.

This is the part that gives me hope. If you look at the polling numbers for things like Biden's rescue plan, something like 65% of people like and support it. That's a huge win margin these days, and yet, literally zero Republicans in Congress voted in favor of this plan.

That message needs to be spread far and wide, every damn day, because a lot of those hypocritical Republicans are also going around their states bragging about the improvements the plan the voted against are making. Their voters need to be told as often as possible that these ******** voted against the very thing they're praising - against the very thing 65% of the electorate wants and approves of.

Biden and the Democrats have a winning plan - if they can get their message through the ********. Cutting through the ******** needs to be priority #1.
Old 8th May 2021, 09:20 AM   #3567
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Here's an infrastructure challenge that the Biden Administration should likely have an interest in working to address.

U.S. pipeline operator that transports 45% of East Coast fuel shuts entire network after cyberattack
Old 8th May 2021, 09:23 AM   #3568
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Here's an infrastructure challenge that the Biden Administration should likely have an interest in working to address.

U.S. pipeline operator that transports 45% of East Coast fuel shuts entire network after cyberattack
Old 8th May 2021, 10:13 AM   #3569
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The problem here is that you base your opinions on reality. Conservatives do no such thing.
He's not a conservative. He's a Democrat.
Old 8th May 2021, 11:44 AM   #3570
autumn1971
Illuminator

He's not a conservative. He's a Democrat.
The Democratic Party has contained the vast majority of fiscal conservatives in state and national office since well before Reganís administration.

The Dems are now three parties at once; they represent actual fiscal conservatives, total centrists, and a smattering of progressive liberals.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th May 2021, 02:40 PM   #3571
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
The Democratic Party has contained the vast majority of fiscal conservatives in state and national office since well before Reganís administration.

The Dems are now three parties at once; they represent actual fiscal conservatives, total centrists, and a smattering of progressive liberals.
He's not really a fiscal conservative either. He's playing a game.
Old 8th May 2021, 02:47 PM   #3572
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He's not really a fiscal conservative either. He's playing a game.
They seem to love seeing themselves in the news.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th May 2021, 02:52 PM   #3573
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They seem to love seeing themselves in the news.
Yep. By being this holdout, he gets to play a key role. He gets attention and exposure.
Old 8th May 2021, 07:19 PM   #3574
SezMe
post-pre-born

Here, let me give you a concrete example.<snip>
Oh, I get that and agree. I thought you were talking only about redistricting within a state.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th May 2021, 08:54 PM   #3575
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I get that and agree. I thought you were talking only about redistricting within a state.
Kool. I'm talking about dramatically changing the redistricting process.
Old 10th May 2021, 06:35 AM   #3576
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Fox outraged that Biden didn't mention God in his National Day of Prayer 'proclamation.'

Plus Obama only made 1 or 2 references.

Trump however made 11 references last year and 7 the year before, he's a 'true' believer and christian.
Biden is anti god and not fit to be president.
I always love this one. Clearly we should just abolish elections and measure how often someone who wants to be president says "God" or "Jesus" and they get to lead the executive branch.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2021, 06:40 AM   #3577
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Reality's so overrated.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2021, 10:08 AM   #3578
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I always love this one. Clearly we should just abolish elections and measure how often someone who wants to be president says "God" or "Jesus" and they get to lead the executive branch.
Don't forget the flag pin requirement too, though. Gotta remember to put on your flag pin!

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2021, 10:16 AM   #3579
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Don't forget the flag pin requirement too, though. Gotta remember to put on your flag pin!
Just one? What would you think of a candidate that just did the bare minimum?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2021, 11:21 AM   #3580
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod Info Continuation thread opened here :http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=351240
Posted By:Agatha

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics