ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Today, 11:55 AM   #2721
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
My analysis is simple
A no deal Brexit is dead in the water due to numbers in parliament..
Brussels will not renegotiate the Theresa May deal Brexit.
That deal will never get the votes.
Therefore Brexit is in a state of permanent hiatus while business as usual.

This looks like modal logic 101 to me.

ETA: This looks like a huge victory for the EU federation, Britain shoots both feet, no further wagging of the finger needed to other dissident states.
Does there still need to be a vote at all or can the PM just wait and let a no-deal Brexit happen? I though that was the point of the motion that was just voted down, to require an actual vote before no-deal Brexit?
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #2722
Garrison
Illuminator

Boris seems to have decided that actually answering questions is beneath him, of course that didn't work so well for May at the last GE.
Old Today, 02:55 PM   #2723
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris is being clever (Well his team are) He is prone to saying the wrong thing and making a fool of himself.
By keeping his head down he can only do his campaign some good, plus he is so far ahead he doesn't need to do anything at the moment.

What his team need to do is persuade some of the MPs supporting him to vote for Javid and make sure it's him that Boris is up against when the party members get to vote.
there is no way the majority of Tory party members will vote for the son of a Pakistani Muslim immigrant over an old Etonian.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:00 PM   #2724
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Amazing to think a politician can get elected by saying little as he possibly can. By offering nothing, justifying nothing, being nothing.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #2725
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Amazing to think a politician can get elected by saying little as he possibly can. By offering nothing, justifying nothing, being nothing.
Well bear in mind that at the moment he is only subject to the scrutiny of the sort of people to whom going to the right school and having the right accent counts for far more than policies or principles.
Old Today, 03:19 PM   #2726
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Well bear in mind that at the moment he is only subject to the scrutiny of the sort of people to whom going to the right school and having the right accent counts for far more than policies or principles.
What makes you think it will be any different when the party members get to vote?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #2727
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What makes you think it will be any different when the party members get to vote?
I took him to be describing the members of the party who will be voting.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:12 PM   #2728
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough I thought he meant just the MPs.
Old Today, 05:40 PM   #2729
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I took him to be describing the members of the party who will be voting.
Yep

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Fair enough I thought he meant just the MPs.
I think his fellow Conservative MPs are far less enthusiastic, probably because they have actually met him...

Last edited by Garrison; Today at 05:41 PM.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:03 PM   #2730
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Here in the USofA, we elected* a non-politician who produced an absolute torrent of words which mostly meant absolutely nothing.

*"Elected" can be interesting. Trump won the presidency via the Electoral College, despite losing the popular vote. BoJo may become PM by getting a majority of a few thousand Tories. Which is worse?

Then again, that's only happening for Boris because May resigned. If Trump resigns, Pence becomes Pres automatically, because he was voted for by a few hundred delegates at a convention.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics