ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th May 2020, 05:23 PM   #41
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Like you, I'm sure that U-boats didn't use TBS to talk to each other during attacks. I do wonder whether they carried it to talk to other ships and shore installations when entering or leaving harbor, though, and I also wonder whether some might have carried it just to eavesdrop on the Allies. Both of those seem unlikely, but not impossible.

Your point about tactical radio is correct; Headache was originally developed to help deal with E-boat raids, which relied heavily on voice radio for coordination.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:56 AM   #42
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, way I see it, through what would they even emit any other frequency than what huff-duff picked?

Before the spool antenna on the periscope, they had exactly two antennas to haul up on the deck: the normal one for the radio and the Metox one. Both requiring you to be on the surface, and run cables through the hatch, as I've said before. So you'd pretty much just pray nobody knows you're there, because you can't even dive in a hurry. And you don't know if the brits have a carrier somewhere nearby, which can royally screw you over, if you give them enough advance notice that you're hounding one of the convoys.

If it's happening before August 1942, the Metox would still be up when the sub is on the surface. If it's between that September '43, then at least the Metox isn't up.

After late '43, a sub would also have the reception equipment for the Goliath very low frequency reception, but that was only reception. Also being VLF it certainly wouldn't be usable at all for voice comms, since it actually overlapped into the voice frequencies. So you can't modulate it with that. And certainly wouldn't overlap with the British radio frequencies to be usable to taunt them.

And I would like to add that it also worked in reverse, and the Brits and Americans would most certainly know it. The round "Runddipol" antenna on a sub was actually used to search for transmissions from convoys and find their direction. There was the problem that the antenna was symmetrical from both sides, so you didn't really know if the signal is in that direction or in the polar opposite direction (e.g., if you found the signal at 25° bearing or 205°), but if you had more than a sub spread out you could triangulate the right location anyway.

So basically you didn't have to know that there's a foul mouthed German on the radio to know you should shut TF up when you don't actually need to transmit something. That should have been the default assumption, full time. Any time you say ANYTHING on the radio, you not only risk it being listened to, but you risk them triangulating your exact position and bearing.
Old 20th May 2020, 01:55 AM   #43
TX50
Graduate Poster

That's an 8,8 cm gun on your "uboot". Germans measured only rifle calibres in millimetres. If you can't be bothered to get even the correct nomenclature right then I just don't know...
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 03:01 AM   #44
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I guess if you have to hear yourself sounding smart without actually having anything of substance to add or object, that kind of idiocy is the best you can do, eh?
Old 21st May 2020, 01:51 PM   #45
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Sony sold theater-bound ‘Greyhound’ to Apple for $70 million, but this deal won’t become the norm for the studio

I'm not happy about this; not only do I not have Apple TV, I don't even own an Apple device. Possibly I could borrow one; I read that some of Apple's content can be individually purchased.

Oh, and from the article:
The World War II battleship drama “Greyhound,” which cost around $50 million to make and was written by Hanks, was uprooted from its June 19 release date earlier this year due to movie theater closures.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 02:19 PM   #46
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Sony sold theater-bound ‘Greyhound’ to Apple for $70 million, but this deal won’t become the norm for the studio

I'm not happy about this; not only do I not have Apple TV, I don't even own an Apple device. Possibly I could borrow one; I read that some of Apple's content can be individually purchased.

Oh, and from the article:
The World War II battleship drama “Greyhound,” which cost around $50 million to make and was written by Hanks, was uprooted from its June 19 release date earlier this year due to movie theater closures.
That's annoying. I was hoping for Amazon Prime.

And that far-too-common usage of "battleship" for any dang warship at all is even more so. A pet peeve.
Old 21st May 2020, 04:27 PM   #47
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That's annoying. I was hoping for Amazon Prime.

And that far-too-common usage of "battleship" for any dang warship at all is even more so. A pet peeve.

It sure is! Everyone should know that only the ships that are four squares long are battleships.
Old 21st May 2020, 05:36 PM   #48
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
It sure is! Everyone should know that only the ships that are four squares long are battleships.
I'm afraid it took me FAR too long (around 10 seconds) to get that!
Old 21st May 2020, 10:08 PM   #49
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It goes the other way too, unfortunately. I've actually heard someone on YouTube referring to the Bismarck as a destroyer. And was about as triggered as you'd expect. I blame Star Wars, really.
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:24 AM   #50
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post

I'm not happy about this; not only do I not have Apple TV, I don't even own an Apple device. Possibly I could borrow one; I read that some of Apple's content can be individually purchased.:
I do have Apple TV, as a free deal with my iPad. I opened it once, because it looks like it has lots of stuff on it, but you have to pay for most stuff on top of the subscription (Outrageously!), so I closed it never to look again. In total I think there are 12 series and 4 films which come included.

Hopefully this will be a fifth, not a PPV.
gypsyjackson is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts