ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Old 23rd May 2020, 12:45 PM   #601
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Aand we have the meltdown.
Conspiracy advocates must believe that it is particularly convincing to others to vomit out unrelated disproven facts in big dumps, with only tenuous, bizarre attempts to even try to connect the subplots.

The larger, less proven, and more convoluted the mega-theory the more convincing it is to these folks. Ultimately they are seeking a Unified Field Theory of Conspiracy that explains everthing.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:30 PM   #602
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at something real and reasonably likely to be related to conspiracy...

America isn't being reopened, it's being ripped apart by propaganda using the 2016 Russian playbook

Quote:
A new study shows that when it comes to forcing workers to go back into offices, stores, and factories, almost half the online voices shouting for the “reopening of America” were, and are, bot accounts. Of the accounts that have tweeted most on this topic, more than half are bots. Of the most influential, almost all are bots. And behind the bots … is someone still unknown.

The report comes out of Carnegie Mellon University. Digging through over 200 million tweets discussing COVID-19 or the novel coronavirus, researchers focused in on the most influential accounts—those most active, most retweeted, and most liked. Out of the top 1,000 accounts, 62% are bots. Perhaps even more amazing: of the 50 most influential accounts on this topic, 82% are bots.

The bots may be numerous, but their message isn’t varied. They’re not being used to pass along accurate news about COVID-19, to encourage social distancing, or to support state government calls for preventive measures. In addition to pushing false cures, like Trump’s much-pushed hydroxychloroquine, and spreading general false information about the dangers of COVID-19, there’s one point where bots are driving the whole of social media. According to the report, they are “dominating conversations about ending stay-at-home orders and ‘reopening America.’”

Other disasters have also brought along swarms of bot accounts trying to take advantage of the chaos to drive either profit or political division, but CMU reports that the pandemic has generated far more fake accounts than expected. Those bots aren’t just participating in the online discussion about reopening America, they are driving it.

These same bots are also pushing stories that deaths due to COVID-19 are being overcounted, that medical workers and hospitals are exaggerating the scale of the pandemic, that hospital rooms are filled with crisis actors or even mannequins to make the situation seem far worse than it is. The bots are both originating and repeating more than 100 different categories of false stories about COVID-19, the pandemic, and the steps needed to fight the disease. These conspiracy theories are designed to both increase anger and generate distrust of medical authorities. They’ve also played a role in driving in-person protests in cities across the country.
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:42 PM   #603
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I just keep wondering, since all the red-pill Q-nuts love Trump; and know that Bill Gates is going to kill them with vaccines; what'll they do when Operation Warped Speed succeeds and Trump is the first to get vaccinated?
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:57 PM   #604
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I just keep wondering, since all the red-pill Q-nuts love Trump; and know that Bill Gates is going to kill them with vaccines; what'll they do when Operation Warped Speed succeeds and Trump is the first to get vaccinated?
The first thing to understand about idiots is that they don't worry about things like logic or consistency. That's a big part of what makes them idiots.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:30 AM   #605
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He'll lie, as usual.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 01:19 AM   #606
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

My post this morning included a 15 page magazine called The Epoch Times which was devoted to attacking China as the source of the virus.

Wiki says

Quote:
The Epoch Times is identified as spreading misinformation related to the COVID-19 pandemic in print and via social media including Facebook and YouTube.[39] It has promoted anti-China rhetoric and conspiracy theories around the coronavirus outbreak, for example through an 8-page special edition called "How the Chinese Communist Party Endangered the World", which was distributed unsolicited in April 2020 to mail customers in areas of USA, Canada, and Australia.[40][41] In the newspaper, the SARS-CoV-2 virus is known as the "CCP virus".[39][40] The minisformation tracker NewsGuard characterized The Epoch Times as a "super-spreader" of misinformation for European audiences.[42]
It looks like what I received is this edition, or a new version of it.

I hope the majority of people will just throw it straight in the bin, but I know at least one person who lives nearby who is likely to lap it up.

Is there no legal and ethical way of stopping this sort of BS being delivered unsolicited to peoples homes?
Old 27th May 2020, 06:13 AM   #607
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
My post this morning included a 15 page magazine called The Epoch Times which was devoted to attacking China as the source of the virus.
It’s by the Falun Gong guys, who some people consider have a legitimate gripe with China and the CCP, and they don’t generally miss a chance to attack them. This misinformation isn’t a great way to boost credibility, but it does serve their purpose.

They used to give out monthly newspapers outside Westminster tube station when I worked there, and had regular protests outside Kings College in Cambridge when I lived there (not in Kings College). Some of the allegations of mistreatment of FG practitioners were horrific if true.

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 27th May 2020 at 06:15 AM.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 07:12 AM   #608
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

I was subjected to some if the most ham-fisted advertising I'd seen in a quite a while thanks to them. Epoch Times ads were popping up constantly when I was binging Epic NPC Man by Viva La Dirt League on YouTube about 2 weeks ago.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #609
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

This lady's video is going viral at the moment. Lena Kay :

They put Covid-19 on my Dads death certificate.

With no testing. This is what doctors told us WHY they did it...

I want you to know.

https://www.facebook.com/lenakaym/vi...2974230973480/
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #610
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Itís by the Falun Gong guys, who some people consider have a legitimate gripe with China and the CCP, and they donít generally miss a chance to attack them. This misinformation isnít a great way to boost credibility, but it does serve their purpose.

Falun Gong vs. China is a pretty good example of why the expression "A pox on both their houses" was coined.

If only there was away they could both lose.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM   #611
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
This lady's video is going viral at the moment. Lena Kay :

They put Covid-19 on my Dads death certificate.

With no testing. This is what doctors told us WHY they did it...

I want you to know.

https://www.facebook.com/lenakaym/vi...2974230973480/
Alzheimer Dementia and the virus are causes of the death. So? Is it a mistake? How do they know? And how many virus related deaths were not correctly recorded? Do they know?

103,330 USA virus deaths - the fact, there are more.

As for yearly flu deaths, the numbers used are estimates, and actual reported flu deaths are lower than the estimated deaths from flu.

What is the point? The Point IS - the point is baseless conspiracy theories grow from this stuff.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories