ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 19th May 2020, 12:06 PM   #1881
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
With respect to her followers... I can definitely understand that point. I haven't run across it directly, but that's mostly because I just don't pay a lot of attention to the climate argument these days. I'm already fairly convinced, and I'm already doing what I reasonably can do. So I tend to ignore the rest of it. But I wouldn't be surprised if she has a vociferous and overly passionate following. That same kind of phenomenon was one of my main objections to Bernie Sanders. I mean, I wasn't all that enamored of his positions in general, but they'd have been a lot more palatable if it weren't for his followers...
Not that you should read the thread entire, but I think it does present several examples of people who support Greta lashing out at people who critique her activism and its results.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 12:14 PM   #1882
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not that you should read the thread entire, but I think it does present several examples of people who support Greta lashing out at people who critique her activism and its results.
I'm not confident that I can separate the "lashing out because they're a Greta fan" from the "lashing out because they're an ISF member"...
Old 19th May 2020, 05:08 PM   #1883
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I object to the derogatory characterisation of people who pay attention to and admire her as a "fan club". That phrase certainly has a valid and non-derogatory function, but that's not what has been happening in this thread. It's very clearly being used to disparage and condescend.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 06:03 PM   #1884
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I object to the derogatory characterisation of people who pay attention to and admire her as a "fan club". That phrase certainly has a valid and non-derogatory function, but that's not what has been happening in this thread. It's very clearly being used to disparage and condescend.
For ten months you've been in this thread while Greta's supporters hurled abuse at anyone who dissented. Now you're suddenly upset about derogatory terms a single mildly derogatory term that has gotten applied to Greta's abusive supporters? Why not simply address the critiques as such, rather than playing this game of silly buggers?

Also, do you mind if I refer to people who defend Greta and her activism against critiques her supporters? Would that clear your way to addressing the critiques?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 06:05 PM   #1885
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Also, do you mind if I refer to people who defend Greta and her activism against critiques her supporters? Would that clear your way to addressing the critiques?
Supporters is a much better term, yes.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 07:48 PM   #1886
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

"Devotee" would probably be more appropriate?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 07:52 PM   #1887
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
"Devotee" would probably be more appropriate?
No, that has exactly the same level of sarcasm as "fan club" does. "Supporter/s" is fine.

- Randall Munroe
Old 19th May 2020, 08:04 PM   #1888
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No, that has exactly the same level of sarcasm as "fan club" does. "Supporter/s" is fine.
Supporters tend to not always agree with every single thing the person they support does though.

Where devotees do, which is kind of Greta people.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 09:11 PM   #1889
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The more I learn about her background, the more it seems to me that the normal existential fears about the future and the world that we all experience, have in her case been exacerbated by her other conditions, and further irresponsibly stoked and encouraged by those close to her. No, I'm not going to go into detail about this. I'm not going to argue with anyone here about the mental health of a teenager. Do your own research, make up your own mind. I've said everything I intend to say on this point.
You are citing her “conditions” and saying that she has an heightened fear of the future and of the world. And you are refusing to argue with anyone?Further, you are stamping your feet in advance lest anyone takes you to task for this judgement of yours?

Okay, maybe you have taken over this forum and can make dogmatic decrees like this. But assuming you have not, this post is utter ******** and your attempts to bully people into not questioning your ridiculous diagnosis is shameful.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 09:32 PM   #1890
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Supporters tend to not always agree with every single thing the person they support does though.

Where devotees do, which is kind of Greta people.
See, now you're stereotyping and making assumptions again.

- Randall Munroe
Old 19th May 2020, 09:36 PM   #1891
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Fair point.

Let us have a test.

What are 3 things disagree with her on?

Old 19th May 2020, 09:40 PM   #1892
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Fair point.

Let us have a test.

No, let us not. I don't have to cave in to your petty demands any more than Greta does.

- Randall Munroe
Old 19th May 2020, 10:42 PM   #1893
Stout
Illuminator

Petty demands ? You mean like objecting to the term "fan club" ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 10:43 PM   #1894
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Can we get back to the subject please?

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th May 2020, 11:35 AM   #1895
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Fair point.

Let us have a test.

I'll take that question.

I disagree with her statement that all fossil fuel use must end.

I disagree with her statement that meat production must be reduced.

I disagree with her regarding reducing the production of goods and services.

I disagree with her far left political positions and support of organizations like antifa.

There is 4.....need more?
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 12:03 PM   #1896
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
I disagree with her regarding reducing the production of goods and services.

Then I guess it's good that you were only asked to name three: https://twitter.com/gretathunberg/st...943232?lang=en
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 12:10 PM   #1897
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Point of order: "Fan club" and "devotees" are not sarcastic. They are sincere expressions of a negative view of those groups.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:14 PM   #1898
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You are citing her “conditions” and saying that she has an heightened fear of the future and of the world. And you are refusing to argue with anyone?Further, you are stamping your feet in advance lest anyone takes you to task for this judgement of yours?

Okay, maybe you have taken over this forum and can make dogmatic decrees like this. But assuming you have not, this post is utter ******** and your attempts to bully people into not questioning your ridiculous diagnosis is shameful.
I trust that Emily's Cat will take my answer to her question in the spirit in which it was offered.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:16 PM   #1899
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Greta's supporters in thread have been making hateful stereotypes about her critics for the past ten months. Why don't you ever call out any of that? Your tone policing is entirely one-sided.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:17 PM   #1900
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Can we get back to the subject please?
Says the guy who just spent the past 2-3 days trying to get away from the subject.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:35 PM   #1901
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

I trust that Emily's Cat will take my answer to her question in the spirit in which it was offered.
I think I did?
Old 20th May 2020, 12:49 PM   #1902
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I think I did?
I think you did, too.
Old 20th May 2020, 01:14 PM   #1903
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Then I guess it's good that you were only asked to name three: https://twitter.com/gretathunberg/st...943232?lang=en
good, then one less thing I disagree with.

She is a smart kid. Probably make a good skeptic one day too. She just needs more life experience.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 01:48 PM   #1904
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod Warning Be civil and stop bickering, please.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 20th May 2020, 07:46 PM   #1905
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Funny thing about internet forums. Comments can be read by anyone, and can be responded to by anyone.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 02:01 AM   #1906
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Greta writes:

In early April, daily CO2 emissions temporarily fell 17%, to levels last seen in...2006.
This is not “good news”.
And it will basically have no effect on accumulative CO2 levels. But it really shows how much our emissions have increased the last decade..

The idea that the climate crisis will just be “solved” by so called green investments and stimulus plans is of course out of touch with reality.
We can not solve a crisis without treating it as a crisis.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 06:55 AM   #1907
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Funny thing about internet forums. Comments can be read by anyone, and can be responded to by anyone.
Yep! I summarized my posiition for Emily's Cat, because she asked; and included a note for some of the other people I knew would also be reading. It seems like everyone got the point they were supposed to get, so I figure I did a pretty good job.
Old 21st May 2020, 06:57 AM   #1908
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Greta writes:

In early April, daily CO2 emissions temporarily fell 17%, to levels last seen in...2006.
This is not “good news”.
And it will basically have no effect on accumulative CO2 levels. But it really shows how much our emissions have increased the last decade..

The idea that the climate crisis will just be “solved” by so called green investments and stimulus plans is of course out of touch with reality.
We can not solve a crisis without treating it as a crisis.
My understanding is that her idea of "treating it as a crisis" is still along the lines of hitting the IPCC's emissions reductions targets for <1.5 degrees increase in the next 10 years*.

Is that also your understanding? Do you agree with her position?
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:35 PM   #1909
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Could a green new deal turn South Korea from climate villain to model?
Country’s youngest MP is on a mission, inspired by Greta Thunberg, as climate moves up political agenda

A year ago, Soyoung Lee was one of a crowd of climate activists demonstrating on the streets of Seoul in a campaign inspired by the global school strike founder Greta Thunberg.

Today, the 35-year-old lawyer is the youngest member of the South Korean parliament and a driving force in the government’s green new deal, which aims to create millions of jobs in renewable energy and help the economy recover from the coronavirus lockdown.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:08 PM   #1910
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Betteridge's Law of Headlines.

Also, I missed the memo where we're supposed to think of South Korea as a "climate villain."
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:28 PM   #1911
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Also, I missed the memo where we're supposed to think of South Korea as a "climate villain."
https://www.climatechangenews.com/20...mate_villains/

You're welcome.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:16 PM   #1912
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks!

So what do you think? Is the proposed GND going to help South Korea meet their part of Greta's target emissions reductions?
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:47 PM   #1913
Matthew Best
Philosopher

If you've read the article, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 24th May 2020, 03:26 AM   #1914
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I am slightly* disappointed that Greta Thunberg hasn't joined the protests against Sweden's pandemic response.

* Only slightly because it obviously takes guts for a 17-year-old to stand up against your own government and Sweden's consensus culture.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 10:46 AM   #1915
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe she used all her Brave Campaigner energy standing up to the power elite at COP25 and Davos.

Or maybe she's spent the past few years of her life focused on climate change issues, and hasn't yet decided that Sweden's pandemic response is worth protesting in the same way.

Maybe she's feeling a little burned out from selling TV shows on CNN.

Also, why does Greta have to be the poster child for every protest issue in the world? She's famous for protesting global climate policy. That doesn't mean she's supposed to use her fame on every single issue there is.

Reddit has a sub for people who have only read Harry Potter and interpret everything in the world in terms of Harry Potter: r/readanotherbook

Maybe there needs to be a sub for people who see every issue in the world in terms of Greta Thunberg. r/findanotheractivist, perhaps.

Last edited by theprestige; 24th May 2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 24th May 2020, 11:31 AM   #1916
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If you've read the article, your guess is as good as mine.
Heh. At this point it seems like Greta's critics have more to say about her work than her supporters do.
Old 24th May 2020, 12:14 PM   #1917
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Could a green new deal turn South Korea from climate villain to model?
Country’s youngest MP is on a mission, inspired by Greta Thunberg, as climate moves up political agenda

A year ago, Soyoung Lee was one of a crowd of climate activists demonstrating on the streets of Seoul in a campaign inspired by the global school strike founder Greta Thunberg.

Today, the 35-year-old lawyer is the youngest member of the South Korean parliament and a driving force in the government’s green new deal, which aims to create millions of jobs in renewable energy and help the economy recover from the coronavirus lockdown.
Oh, jeez, the millions of jobs in renewable energy fantasy.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 12:29 PM   #1918
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Heh. At this point it seems like Greta's critics have more to say about her work than her supporters do.
Which implies that you have more criticisms, since there is no way you have been able to obfuscate your lack of support.
Old 24th May 2020, 12:43 PM   #1919
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Your question was actually about South Korea's climate change policies, not Greta Thunberg's work.
Old 24th May 2020, 12:51 PM   #1920
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Your question was actually about South Korea's climate change policies, not Greta Thunberg's work.
It's a thread about Greta's work. The article says the lawmaker was inspired by Greta's work. My question was about the proposal in the context of Greta's work. Do you not have anything to say about the proposal, in the context of Greta's work?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events