ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , pluto

Old 20th September 2018, 08:23 AM   #321
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
If I eat enough pies could I be reclassified as a planet?
Only if your clear all the pies in your orbit!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 08:36 AM   #322
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Disagreeing with the recognised definition is not a licence to use a different one.
One doesn't need a license to use a different definition. For one thing, the IAU definition isn't "the" definition of planet. It's only one of multiple definitions in use. One need not go full Humpty Dumpty in order to choose something other than the IAU definition.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Indeed. Otherwise the woo-woo tactic of discrediting, say, science in order to bolster creationism would be valid.
Uh, no. The science-vs-creationism argument isn't about the definition of words, and the IAU's choice of definitions isn't uniquely determined by science either. This is an unfair and invalid criticism of theprestige's post. lomiller was closer to a valid objection, but he missed the mark too.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 09:32 AM   #323
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Uh, no. The science-vs-creationism argument isn't about the definition of words, and the IAU's choice of definitions isn't uniquely determined by science either. This is an unfair and invalid criticism of theprestige's post. lomiller was closer to a valid objection, but he missed the mark too.
I'm sure you misunderstood. I'm talking about the "if I take down one definition, mine wins by default" attitude being described, and comparing it with the same sort of tactic by creationists.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 09:52 AM   #324
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm sure you misunderstood. I'm talking about the "if I take down one definition, mine wins by default" attitude being described, and comparing it with the same sort of tactic by creationists.
You're correct, I did misunderstand. But I don't think this is an accurate portrayal of theprestige's position either, although it makes more sense than my prior misinterpretation.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 10:09 AM   #325
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You're correct, I did misunderstand. But I don't think this is an accurate portrayal of theprestige's position either, although it makes more sense than my prior misinterpretation.
Perhaps. I was just responding to lomiller's, not characterising Prestige.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology