ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 30th September 2018, 03:57 PM   #521
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I've always believed that what scares Trump about the Mueller investigation is not about Russia collusion in the election, but illegal financial shenanigans going on. This could be money laundering, tax fraud, bank fraud, or any host of things. Whatever it is, Trump is scared to death which is why he's done all in his power to derail and discredit both the investigation and Mueller personally.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 07:00 PM   #522
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I've always believed that what scares Trump about the Mueller investigation is not about Russia collusion in the election, but illegal financial shenanigans going on. This could be money laundering, tax fraud, bank fraud, or any host of things. Whatever it is, Trump is scared to death which is why he's done all in his power to derail and discredit both the investigation and Mueller personally.
Pssst, follow the money. Who lent money to Trump when US banks wouldn't touch him? Check out "Active Measures"*.

*https://www.activemeasures.com/watch-at-home/

Elagabalus is not affiliated with Active Measures in any way.

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 08:05 AM   #523
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And Putin's game was honed in the Cold War KGB and the post-collapse kleptocracy. The mind boggles at the kinds of deals he must have made, the favors granted and the hit jobs carried out, to convince the Russian oligarchs that they should let him rule the country.
You have the relationship back-asswards. The oligarchs didn't permit Putin to rule : Putin permitted selected oligarchs to continue operating under his rule, within limits he sets.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 08:07 AM   #524
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I agree.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 08:09 AM   #525
Belz...
Fiend God

I think in the end, Trump doesn't have a penny to his name that isn't beholden to the Russians somehow, which is to say, to Putin. Being shown as a pauper sure isn't something Trump's ego can withstand.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 08:29 AM   #526
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think in the end, Trump doesn't have a penny to his name that isn't beholden to the Russians somehow, which is to say, to Putin. Being shown as a pauper sure isn't something Trump's ego can withstand.

For years, people said that Trump would never actually run for President, because releasing his tax returns would show that he was nowhere near as wealthy as he pretended to be, and he wouldn't allow that damage to his media image. We saw what happened there.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:17 AM   #527
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Well, he's definitely hiding something. There would be no reason for him to hide his tax returns and try so desperately to discredit the Mueller investigation. To paraphrase Shakespeare, methinks he doth protest too much.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:08 AM   #528
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Well, he's definitely hiding something. There would be no reason for him to hide his tax returns and try so desperately to discredit the Mueller investigation. To paraphrase Shakespeare, methinks he doth protest too much.
Doubting his billionaire status in print at least used to get you sued.
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:43 AM   #529
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Look, just because Trump has had multiple businesses declare bankruptcy, calls himself the "king of debt", can't get loans from American banks anymore, had a son who admitted they can get all the money they need out of Russia, and has associates with business dealings with Russia is no reason to suspect that Trump isn't a completely successful businessman who isn't fabulously wealthy independent of Russia.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:15 AM   #530
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Look, just because Trump has had multiple businesses declare bankruptcy, calls himself the "king of debt", can't get loans from American banks anymore, had a son who admitted they can get all the money they need out of Russia, and has associates with business dealings with Russia is no reason to suspect that Trump isn't a completely successful businessman who isn't fabulously wealthy independent of Russia.
Don't forget that he claimed to 100% leverage all his real estate deals, so apparently has either no capital to invest or prefers to keep it all under his mattress.
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:17 AM   #531
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Don't forget that he claimed to 100% leverage all his real estate deals, so apparently has either no capital to invest or prefers to keep it all under his mattress.
In "Fear" Kushner is quoted as saying that Trump has very little cash.
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:11 AM   #532
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Trump has taken to asking rhetorically why Obama didn't warn about Russian interference before the election.

Quote:
A Washington Post reporter revealed new details about former CIA director John Brennan’s efforts to counter Russian election interference — and how Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell thwarted him.

“He’s meeting with McConnell,” he said, “and McConnell is basically telling him, ‘You’re telling us that Russia is trying to help elect Trump, (but) if you come forward with this, I’m not going to sign on to any sort of public statement that would condemn Russian interference, but I will condemn you and the Obama administration for trying to mess up this election.'”
Linky.
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:19 AM   #533
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Trump has taken to asking rhetorically why Obama didn't warn about Russian interference before the election.

Linky.
This is a fact that Republicans ignore, they completely ignore this. They pretend it didn't happen and won't even address it.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:20 AM   #534
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Linky.
Patriots!
(of Russia)
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:20 AM   #535
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Linky.
Yeah... this has been pretty clear for a while and is the most prominent reason for why I've called McConnell treasonous a few times now, rather than simply an utter scumbag who doesn't care about the US' future much at all. I don't like Obama's actions on that matter all that much, but I find them understandable, even if I consider them to be a mistake. McConnell's actions, however, are unconscionable.

Last edited by Aridas; 3rd October 2018 at 04:23 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:47 AM   #536
Belz...
Fiend God

Linky.
Traitor. There's no other word for McConnell.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 05:31 AM   #537
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Rep. Eric Salwell has written an OP-Ed detailing Devin Nunes' alleged buying of evidence of collaboration between Trump's team and the Russians
Old 6th October 2018, 05:56 AM   #538
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

My guess is that Mueller has a stack of requests for the House ready to go if Democrats take over.
Old 9th October 2018, 02:52 AM   #539
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I missed this last month, but this is absolutely hilarious: The US government has reportedly sanctioned Oleg Deripaska by mistake
Old 9th October 2018, 03:50 AM   #540
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I missed this last month, but this is absolutely hilarious: The US government has reportedly sanctioned Oleg Deripaska by mistake
Err... based on the article, it wasn't so much by mistake so much as to cover up a mistake.

Quote:
ďThere will be sanctions that come out of this report,Ē Mnuchin saidóa surprise statement, because while Congress had ordered the department to create a report on Russian oligarchs, it didnít require that any sanctions be imposed based on it.

Mnuchinís slip-up forced Treasury officials to scramble to come up with a plan that would match the secretaryís under-oath statement, according to four congressional sources directly involved in the sanctions process. And in April, the department sanctioned Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska and his aluminum company Rusal.
Old 10th October 2018, 08:34 AM   #541
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's lawyers respond to DNC lawsuit by alleging the 1st Amendment grants the right to disseminate stolen information
Old 13th October 2018, 06:29 AM   #543
Bob001
Philosopher

An interview with author Craig Unger:
Quote:
In his new book "House of Trump, House of Putin: The Untold Story of Donald Trump and the Russian Mafia," veteran investigative journalist Craig Unger presents a detailed and exhaustively researched account of how Donald Trump has for decades laundered billions of dollars for Russian organized crime figures and other oligarchs. This fits a larger pattern in which Trump and his inner circle have shown a great comfort with financial crimes and other forms of unethical or illegal behavior to personally enrich themselves at the expense of the American people.
https://www.salon.com/2018/10/11/inv...-for-35-years/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2018, 03:18 AM   #544
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1055591412652224513

Quote:
JULY- Bolton: Next Trump-Putin meeting delayed until 2019
AUG- Russian TV to Trump: "Do what we say" if you want our help in election
SEPT- Russian TV: "Great probability" Trump & Putin will meet on 11/11/18
OCT- Bolton: Trump & Putin will meet on 11/11/18
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 27th October 2018, 08:37 AM   #545
Bob001
Philosopher

Whether Trump himself actively conspired with the Russians might remain to be proved. But there is no doubt that the Russians actively worked to put Trump in the White House.

Quote:
Politicians may be too timid to explore the subject, but a new book from, of all places, Oxford University Press promises to be incendiary. “Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President—What We Don’t, Can’t, and Do Know,” by Kathleen Hall Jamieson, a professor of communications at the University of Pennsylvania, dares to ask—and even attempts to answer—whether Russian meddling had a decisive impact in 2016. Jamieson offers a forensic analysis of the available evidence and concludes that Russia very likely delivered Trump’s victory.
Indeed, when I met recently with Jamieson, in a book-lined conference room at the Annenberg Center, in Philadelphia, and asked her point-blank if she thought that Trump would be President without the aid of Russians, she didn’t equivocate. “No,” she said, her face unsmiling. Clearly cognizant of the gravity of her statement, she clarified, “If everything else is a constant? No, I do not.”

Jamieson said that, as an academic, she hoped that the public would challenge her arguments. Yet she expressed confidence that unbiased readers would accept her conclusion that it is not just plausible that Russia changed the outcome of the 2016 election—it is “likely that it did.”
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...tion-for-trump

And there's this:
Quote:
But to travel back to 2016 and trace the major plotlines of the Russian attack is to underscore what we now know with certainty: The Russians carried out a landmark intervention that will be examined for decades to come. Acting on the personal animus of Mr. Putin, public and private instruments of Russian power moved with daring and skill to harness the currents of American politics. Well-connected Russians worked aggressively to recruit or influence people inside the Trump campaign.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...p-clinton.html

Last edited by Bob001; 27th October 2018 at 08:39 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics