ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2019, 02:29 PM   #121
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Is OP really just playing a rather poor game of Super Vulcan Ultra Sceptic, or is he working towards some kind of 'If there's no logical proof for egalitarianism, it's irrational, therefore manifest destiny/racism/colonialism/genocide, because I can claim that groups who are able to do that are superior' type gotcha? the sky-daddy?
FTFY and the latter.

Although the potential exists for maybe a 1st year Phil student struggling with his/her homework.
Old 5th July 2019, 02:55 PM   #122
Thor 2
Philosopher

It would seem Pictoresque has given up the quest to bring us into enlightenment. Pity, I was just beginning to soften.
Old 5th July 2019, 03:05 PM   #123
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
It would seem Pictoresque has given up the quest to bring us into enlightenment. Pity, I was just beginning to soften.
He's probably off on a Woo or religious board wowing them with the tale of how he blew the mind of a bunch of big mean skeptics but they were enlightened enough to handle it.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:15 PM   #124
David Mo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In the UK animals do already have rights, so we are already well past the point of beginning to talk about animal rights.
In Spain too. But it has important limitations.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 06:53 AM   #125
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by David Mo View Post
In Spain too. But it has important limitations.
Yet you said ".. Some of us even think we should begin to talk about animal rights..."

I would suggest you make your mind up!
Old 8th July 2019, 01:02 PM   #126
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by David Mo View Post
No animal has written the Critique of Pure Reason or painted Mona Lisa. I say this without disrespect to animals. But the fact is that they are incapable of doing so.
But, theoretically, if you had enough monkeys with paint and gave them enough time...

Originally Posted by Humots View Post
The fact is also that most humans are incapable of doing so.
Yeah, but I can color photocopy both
Old 8th July 2019, 09:57 PM   #127
David Mo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yet you said ".. Some of us even think we should begin to talk about animal rights..."

I would suggest you make your mind up!
This is the situation in Spain:
There is no debate on animal rights in general. That's why the laws are partial. They apply to some animals and not to others. In some regions they do and in others they do not. Minimum penalties are systematically applied.
This is because there is not a debate on animal rights that goes to the root of the problem: do animals have rights? It is time to start.

I think the situation is similar in other countries with similar regulations. But I could not swear to it.

Last edited by David Mo; 8th July 2019 at 09:58 PM.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy