IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2021 events , center for inquiry , cfi , CSIcon , CSIcon 2021

Old 8th February 2021, 12:11 PM   #1
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Exclamation CSICon 2021

Hi everyone,
CSICon 2021 is still tentative, but scheduled for 21-24 October 2021 at the Flamingo according to Skeptical Inquirer v44 #5. As many know, CFI depends on volunteers to help with setup, registration, checking tickets, line management at book signings, and packing up. We NEVER miss anything we have paid for; when the sessions start we're in the audience. I only ask for about four hours of your time during the conference. In the past we've gotten free admission to the Saturday night parties and free t-shirts, and I assume we'll get the same this year.

If you're interested please use the volunteer sign-up email address at https://csiconference.org/volunteer/. We need about 20 people to cover everything.
Old 11th February 2021, 07:12 AM   #2
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Thankfully 2020 was canceled, which spared us from having to go back to the Westgate

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 12:10 PM   #3
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Yes, but I think we're back at the Flamingo with the Very Long Hallway this year.
Old 14th March 2021, 02:07 PM   #4
Doubt
Philosopher

Email yesterday says it is canceled for 2021. And Flamingo is the choice again for 2022.
Old 14th March 2021, 08:56 PM   #5
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, off for this year.

There is bad news and good news for 2022 - the bad news is that's it's at the Flamingo, the good news is that it's not at the god-awful Westgate.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:36 AM   #6
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

You'd have thought I would have gotten the official news at the same time as you two. Yes, it's canceled for 2021. :-(

From Barry Karr's email:
Quote:
I am sorry to report that the decision has been made to cancel CSICon again this year. Although recently the news has become somewhat encouraging regarding the pandemic, vaccinations are up and infections seems to be trending lower, it is just too uncertain as to when things will be safe again for people to travel and gather in large convention rooms and meeting areas. There are too many questions that have no answers yet for us to continue to move forward with the large amount of background work that would need to be done before October rolls around.

Plans are now underway to make CSICon 2022 the best CSICon conference ever! We have invited all of our 2021 speakers to come in 2022, including Neil deGrasse Tyson, Penn & Teller, Richard Dawkins, and Piff the Magic Dragon, and a host of others. We will work hard to try and bring them all in 2022. We also have reason to think we will have a few extra surprises as well. We will be updating information regarding scheduling and registrations on a regular basis.
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:38 AM   #7
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

The call for volunteers is delayed until 2022.
Old 23rd March 2021, 03:55 PM   #8
Susan Gerbic
Graduate Poster

Starting a rumor

I'm very disappointed in the loss of CSICon this year. I understand but not happy how it was announced. Every year is terrific - so when someone says that the next year will be better then I want to know what they could do better. Are we getting jet packs? Are we adding a day? Is the price cut? What? Tell us - we aren't children.

So there is a rumor started that people are going to Vegas in early October. The place and date will be decided later as we see what happens in the world of Covid.

Just wanted you all to know.
Old 26th March 2021, 07:35 AM   #9
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Nice rumor! I'd like to see friends again, and it'd be nice to be in Vegas without having to worry about a schedule. I hope it won't conflict with ASL Oktoberfest (3-10 October).
Old 31st October 2021, 12:12 AM   #10
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
CSICON 2021 is on!

See you in Hyderabad!
Old 4th November 2021, 04:01 PM   #11
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Wrong CSI (and it's not a television show either, as I've been asked), but CSICON 2022 is on: the back cover of Skeptical Inquirer v45#6 has "Save the Dates, October 20-23, 2022" at the Flamingo.
Old 4th November 2021, 04:34 PM   #12
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
CSICON 2021 is on!

See you in Hyderabad!
I feel like I have been...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

conned!
Old 4th November 2021, 04:54 PM   #13
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I started a separate thread for 2022 over here:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=354954

-Mitch

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 09:32 PM   #14
digger
Thinker

Can you tell us more details? What city is it in?
digger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2022, 07:51 PM   #15
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by digger View Post
Can you tell us more details? What city is it in?
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. It's in Las Vegas. Let's move the discussion for the 2022 event, assuming there is one, to this thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=354954

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events