ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th March 2017, 03:11 AM   #41
Noriabooks
New Blood

Flat Earth
Noriabooks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 08:59 AM   #42
Wudang
BOFH

On a tangential note I drive past the Aetherius Society to get to my nearest Tesco supermarket.
Old 13th March 2017, 09:53 AM   #43
TripleScorp
New Blood

I haven't read any of the books but the Missing 411 books seem pretty out there. As someone said above, David Icke's stuff. Also, the books published about Skinwalker Ranch.
TripleScorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 10:02 AM   #44
TX50
Graduate Poster

That guy who maintains that Tutankhamun was actually Jesus.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 03:51 AM   #45
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What about this thread from our very own site http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=316378

Twitches and itches sent by God will defeat ISIS

That one has entered my hall of infamy.
Old 15th March 2017, 12:51 PM   #46
tinribmancer
NWO Templar Agent And Proud Of It!

Can I list Kyoon?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=307633

And of course his Illuminati cronies, led by Patrick Stuart Hitler, that act just like your average Scooby Doo villain.

But that is all part of the "script" that keeps changing 18 times a day.

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 12:56 PM   #47
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What about this thread from our very own site http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=316378

Twitches and itches sent by God will defeat ISIS
"buttocks = forgotten truths" Hmm, not entirely without foundation.
Old 15th March 2017, 01:59 PM   #48
superfreddy
Muse

How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/I-Visited-Gan.../dp/B00069X16K

I read the Spanish version long ago. I remember being fascinated as a teenager about the possibility of visiting Jupiter's moon.
superfreddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 04:56 PM   #49
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

For me it was the first time I came across the "freeman on the land" stuff. The context was an article that laid out why you didn't need a driver's license. The argument ran that you were travelling, and travelling is a right enshrined in law, so therefore the government has no basis on which to restrict your right to travel.

My first thought on that was, "Doesn't this writer understand the difference between moving from one place to another versus the government regulating a person's ability to operate a large and potentially dangerous piece of equipment? For sure he can travel legally from one place to another without a driver's license--so long as he walks!" (Or rides a horse, or takes a bus or train.)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 06:09 AM   #50
Shuca
New Blood

Flat Earth movement and most of the new age woo...
Shuca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 07:20 AM   #51
Chanakya
Punditry Unlimited

The Bible? What could be nuttier than that? (Unless you think of it as fiction, in which case of course it's a lovely read.)

(The Koran perhaps, but I haven't read it, except for brief excerpts and for people writing about it, so I'll leave it to someone else, who's actually read it, to mention that masterpiece.)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 08:17 AM   #52
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post

(The Koran perhaps, but I haven't read it, except for brief excerpts and for people writing about it, so I'll leave it to someone else, who's actually read it, to mention that masterpiece.)
I have read it three times since 9/11 because I wanted to understand the mind set of people who would commit suicide in order to commit mass murder.

The Quran justifies this and incites Muslims to make suicidal attacks. It promises them rich reward in heaven if they die in battle.

It divides people into believers in Muhammad and unbelievers, and says the unbelievers will burn in eternal hell.

Apart from the clear intention of Muhammad to scare people into fighting for him by stealing fear of God from the bible, the Quran is difficult to criticise as it says very little of substance. It does say the sun swims in an orbit, and it obviously means the sun orbits the earth, But since it does not actually say it orbits the earth Imams claim it meant the sun orbits the galaxy. I think they know they are lying because verse 36.38 says the sun goes to a resting place, and there is a hadith that explains this and clearly says the sun orbits the earth.

There is also reference to the infancy gospels of Jesus in the Quran and these are clearly fiction. So the Quran is obviously plagiarism from the bible and other sources.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 10:30 AM   #53
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

My favorite crackpot is local as well. I've never met him, but every few months I'll find a few copies of a letter printed on bright green paper and scattered in the street. Like a crazy, profanity-filled scavenger hunt.

Wherever he gets his material from, it's not on google. I put the safest-for-work page I could find here.

FYI I do not live near Beverly Hills.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2017, 06:51 AM   #54
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I can't list the ones I know of because I do not read the crap outside of here so the only ones I know are members here and telling the truth here is discouraged in certain ways if you get my drift and I think you do!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2017, 02:21 PM   #55
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
My favorite crackpot is local as well. I've never met him, but every few months I'll find a few copies of a letter printed on bright green paper and scattered in the street. Like a crazy, profanity-filled scavenger hunt.

Wherever he gets his material from, it's not on google. I put the safest-for-work page I could find here.

FYI I do not live near Beverly Hills.
Coprofagua?

It seems he has also invented his own language. At least when it comes to labeling sexual acts.
Old 27th March 2017, 03:46 PM   #56
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Stephen King killed John Lennon

http://www.lennonmurdertruth.com

Last edited by applecorped; 27th March 2017 at 03:48 PM.
applecorped is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2017, 02:44 AM   #57
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Stephen King killed John Lennon

http://www.lennonmurdertruth.com
Seconded.

A close runner up is the idea that White Star Lines was running a giant insurance scam to recoup losses on the Olympic so they switched the Olympic and Titanic and sank the "Titanic" (really the Olympic) on purpose so they could write it off and recoup the losses and the Titanic (as the Olympic) actually continued to sail without incident for several more decades.
Old 11th June 2017, 05:08 PM   #58
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
The same Cladking who thinks that the pyramids were built using geyser power?
Sorry for the long delay in replying I had missed your earlier comment. I have invited said Cladking to post here. I have also promised not to 'poison' the well by posting in any thread he might create. You can all thank me later if he shows up - you will truly enjoy his contributions to the scientific conversation!!!
Hans is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 05:14 PM   #59
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Does it have to be a book?

'cause http://www.quantumjumping.com
Old 11th June 2017, 05:39 PM   #60
Jodie
Philosopher

The Book of Mormon
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 05:54 PM   #61
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
The Book of Mormon
No fair you can pretty much put all religions book in with it --- well okay BOM is a bit stranger than most - but not by much!
Hans is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 10:41 AM   #62
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mackenberg View Post
"Ravaged by the New Age", by fundamentalist Churchian and author of far too many similar books, Texe Marrs.

The Satanic Conspiracy is everywhere, but most especially in '80s pop culture. The Smurfs are blue and blue is the color of death so the Smurfs are undead and Satanic! NASA badge symbols are coded messages from the GREAT BEAST 666! Run! Save yourselves!
Tbf, I think one of the earliest depictions of Lucifer had him as being blue in colour...

Seems legit.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 10:43 AM   #63
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator

Anything by David Icke.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 10:54 AM   #64
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator

Hang on, didn't Noel Edmonds write some strange book about Cosmic Ordering or some weird bollocks like that? What a numpty.

Old 12th June 2017, 12:06 PM   #65
baron
Illuminator

Anything by Mohammed.
Old 12th June 2017, 12:25 PM   #66
barehl
Master Poster

A recent one that comes to mind is Jim Bakker's claim that he personally saved Donald Trump from demons who were trying to stop the god-appointed, righteous candidate from being president. He also claims that anyone who doesn't like Trump must be demon possessed.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/jim-bakker-i-bound-demons-in-hell-to-save-donald-trump
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 01:10 PM   #67
ahhell
Critical Thinker

Probably just honorable mention but, National Sunday Law, is a conspiracy based on the notion the US is going to enact a national Sunday law that will force Seventh Day Adventists to take Sunday off. Its a theory that's been percolating since the 1880s but some guy wrote a book about it in the 1980s and someone is still printing and mailing free copies to people, one of which came to me. It seems to be rooted in the Seventh Day Adventist Church and fairly extreme anti-Catholicism.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/National_Sunday_law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Marcussen
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal