ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags pareidolia

Old 9th November 2011, 01:59 PM   #41
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Careful now... you are on the verge of inventing the liquid metal cyborg from Terminator 2.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 04:37 PM   #42
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
Drop #4

Little Orphan Annie, of course. With a goiter.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 06:52 PM   #43
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I'm starting to suspect there's a phallic symbol in all these pictures...

Or, in my head.
Or, both?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 08:28 PM   #44
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Drop #5

Old 12th November 2011, 06:59 PM   #45
GT/CS
Illuminator

Oops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daffy Dodge.jpg (45.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th November 2011, 02:46 PM   #46
satakas
Student

you should sell your drops on ebay. could easily make some millions.
satakas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2011, 02:50 PM   #47
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by satakas View Post
you should sell your drops on ebay. could easily make some millions.
If only they could be quick-frozen.

Wait, "terser" is a word, right?
Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2011, 05:11 PM   #48
satakas
Student

naah...doesn't matter until you've gor photo evidence of that they look like something else...like some country or whatever. people go nuts about this kind of things, as we already have seen countless of times. me and my wife also discussed about founding a company: we would buy tons of potatoe chips and observe them closely to find any resemblance with anything else and then auction them on ebay. i wonder, why we didn't do it for real though....
satakas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 12:32 AM   #49
This is The End

Here's a shot of a water drop I blasted with a .22 calibre pellet gun. The timing on this took a bit of engineering.
WoW. Nice Work.
Old 18th November 2011, 07:30 AM   #50
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
WoW. Nice Work.
Thanks, OTT. I have a gigantic thread of images at NikonCafe if you want to see more hi-speed ballistic shots.

Here's a milk-filled balloon shot with a pistol

-

-
Old 22nd November 2011, 01:45 PM   #51
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

Not quite pareidolia, but misperception: As I was driving this afternoon, I had stopped at an intersection before making a right turn. I looked to the left to see if any cars were approaching, and I saw an enormous bird, far bigger than an eagle, flying overhead. It was close to the car, and I glimpsed it for only an instant, against a cloudy gray sky.

Then it passed over the car and I could see it through the windshield to the right. On that side were trees near the street, and now I could see what the bird was: an ordinary crow. My first glimpse, without any reference points, made me think the bird was twenty feet or more over my head. When I got my bearings, I realized the crow had sailed over at no more than five feet or so above me.

Made me feel weird for just a few seconds, though.
Old 26th November 2011, 12:56 AM   #52
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

I see Frieza in the mysterious area in the China desert. It was obviously engineered by Dragon Ball Z fans.

Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2012, 07:57 PM   #53
spin0
Graduate Poster

Transit of Venus.

or...

Re-Harachte, god of Sun

Solar image credit: NASA/SDO/Helioviewer.org
View here: http://bit.ly/LwthJu

Last edited by spin0; 5th June 2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added credit
spin0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 06:14 AM   #54
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes things look really weird in the middle of the night, especially with blurry contacts still in. I'm glad I have my phone nearby so I can prove to myself I didn't imagine it.

(I didn't think it was distinct enough to warrant its own thread, and there are several of them. I just bumped the one that had the most posts.)
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 07:43 AM   #55
carlitos
"más divertido"

What "it" are you referring to there?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 07:46 AM   #56
Yeggster
Master Poster

When i was a kid we used to pour drops of molten lead into cold water and shapes very much like these would be frozen in lead.
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 07:26 PM   #57
mgidm86
Illuminator

Awesome pics and impressive work to get them! Very cool!!!
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 08:24 PM   #58
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
What "it" are you referring to there?
To my not too clearly focused eyes, it looked like the profile of the leaning-over gargoyle from a Jonny Quest episode I've seen many times.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 04:41 AM   #59
Noriabooks
New Blood

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
You folks need help.
Why would anybody need help for seeing a pareidolic penis? Why lots of people think that sexuality and sex-related things are bad?
Noriabooks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 07:23 AM   #60
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Noriabooks View Post
Why would anybody need help for seeing a pareidolic penis? Why lots of people think that sexuality and sex-related things are bad?
Maybe it was the pic including the faces with mouths and tongues from poster River in post #4? Maybe that was stretching pareidolia just a smidge?
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 08:08 AM   #61
Noriabooks
New Blood

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Maybe it was the pic including the faces with mouths and tongues from poster River in post #4? Maybe that was stretching pareidolia just a smidge?
Actually my question is much broader than just that one example.
Noriabooks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2017, 09:53 AM   #62
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Why lots of people think that jokes are serious commentary?
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2017, 11:40 AM   #63
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

One of my hobbies is hi-speed micro photography. I have photographed hundreds of water drops as they fall into still water then rebound as a column of water with a perfect sphere at the top. Occasionally, for various reasons, the rebounding water column will be disturbed and form random shapes. More often than not, I see a distinct recognizable shape in the water which is sometimes uncanny.

I thought it might be interesting to see what others see in these random drop images.

Drop #1
What I see:
Profile of Charles Darwin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1292367176

Crop of #1
-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1292367302
Uhm, no. I se nothing. Sorry.

Hans
Old 11th April 2017, 12:55 AM   #64
Planigale
Master Poster

I've shot hundreds of 2 drop collisions. The timing is critical!

-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1278432404
-

Photographing a 2 drop collision while holding the dish in my hand required steely-eyed yogic concentration!

-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1279043816
Wonderful pictures, but the first thing I noticed is that fishbait might not be human; what appears to be a hand seems to have one thumb like digit and three finger like digits. These pictures are clearly products of alien technology!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 12:30 PM   #65
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Wonderful pictures, but the first thing I noticed is that fishbait might not be human; what appears to be a hand seems to have one thumb like digit and three finger like digits. These pictures are clearly products of alien technology!
One thumb and three fingers? Not aliens, just Disney cartoon characters.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 12:42 PM   #66
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Admiral Ackbar
Old 12th April 2017, 12:54 PM   #67
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The Evil Clown from the new retelling of Stephen King's "IT"?
or
A very relaxed sleeping dog?
Either way, I'm letting it lie...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal